Post Numbers

Curti

This was a reply we got from the company that supplies the software to our forums, our forums are not custom software, we buy a service and Invision was a leader in this area when we switched over some years ago.  At this time, it is impossible for us to spend more on this site as we are in the midst of trying to raise funds for the remodel of our new facility.  As it is, operating the forums are a major expense for the club.  This may not be the answer you want but at least I dug for the reply Peter and I got based upon a request by one of our moderators.

"There are no longer post numbers on the 4.4 system. There actually hasnt been in any of the 4.x series, and these were actually quite a flawed concept. While post 3 for example for you may be one post, it may be a different post for another. For example, post 2 for you may be a hidden post."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah, the software was improved to the point it doesn't work anymore. A true Dilbert moment!😁 

I wonder who thought of the phrase "flawed concept" to describe what was working fine for some users (US).

So, some other users of the software have hidden posts. Well, that's tricky!🤔 

Hidden posts refers to those that have been reported to the moderators and removed. When we had post numbers, the moderator's post numbers would still include those removed posts, so post numbers that a regular member and a moderator saw were not always identical. 

55 minutes ago, maok said:

But p15-d24 forum uses the same software that 'still' has the post numbers.

I think GTK is a version or two back on the software. For what it is worth, if you still need to refer to a specific post there is a share/link button which should suffice for most needs.

• Like 1

I am not a fan of quoting others posts.  Some people take it to the extreme and have others quotes in almost every posting they do and it gets annoying.

Then again, maybe I am just getting to old and find everything annoying.

I never saw instructions of what "share" did.

"Link", what is this? I have roamed the cursor all over a post and do not see "link".

29 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

"Link", what is this? I have roamed the cursor all over a post and do not see "link".

When you click onto the reply button and it opens the reply box, at the top of that box is a string of symbols one of which looks like a chain link. Click on that and it opens a LINK screen. In this screen you can include a copied URL and a text box to be used as an identifier for the link(if you want to, if not don't type any text). See screen shots below.

Screen Shot.png

2019-03-22 (2).png

Edited by Ozstatman (see edit history)