Where are they now? 11 Gardner Cars

prewar40

March 17th will be the 100th birthday of the Gardner Motor Company.  This date used to be known as St Patrick's Day.
To celebrate the club is trying to locate 11 cars, we have the pictures. 
Please contact me if you know where any of these are located.  rdg105@comcast.net

Link to pictures page: MISSING

The Bill Oexle Roadster is listed on my for sale page - Link: GardnerMotorCars

So far I know of 152 Gardner cars, but those in the link of the first post are the ones I have pictures for but don't know where they are.
In the last month I found one in England and two in Australia -- Search goes on.
And yes it's a spark plug wrench the only tool with the GARDNER name.

56 minutes ago, Bill Boudway said:

Many years ago, I visited a shop in Jacksonville, Illinois and saw two there in various stages of restoration.

I think the owner was Kenny Hembrough. 

Good memory!!  Ken owned the  brown 1930 roadster from at least the early 50's.  He passed in 1992 and the his cars were sold at auction.

A picture of that roadster on on my 'where are they now' page.  Unrestored and mint with about 24,000 miles.  The other car a 1923 coupe is now in Michigan.

What about the Gardner that was featured in the June, 1974 issue of the old Car Classics magazine?  It must still be around.

EDIT.  Thanks to "Prewar40", confirmed it is still owned by the Lindsay family who had the privilege of owning in 1974 when the article was written.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

Wonderful comments - Got some answers

13 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

There is a 1931Gardner Phaeton in Oshawa restored

The museum in Oshawa is a great place to visit if your near Oshawa.

729208997_CanadaPhaeton.thumb.JPG.b8d6ebb1d35bc8bc0815af365c27d8c3.JPG

4 hours ago, 8E45E said:

What about the Gardner that was featured in a 1975 issue of the old Car Classics magazine?  It must still be around.

Craig

The 1926 Landau Roadster was one of 3 Gardner cars at a Milwaukee show a few years ago.  This was in another magazine about 2015 at that time his Duesenberg was in his car barn and the Gardner was in his family room. I gave him documentation that by 1925 you could order any color you wanted for a fee. There were those that thought the color wasn't factory.

1926-L-rstr2.thumb.jpg.20cd2ec5e46b6caba77d62f2471d60d7.jpg

3 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

There is a Gardner that has won numerous awards in AACA and a national award to boot!  It also has been a hit a numerous other shows and concours.  Unfortunately, it is usually snowed in until July!  Of course, Prewar40 knows that person very well! :) 

I do know about the 1928 Roadster and hope to have it out by April or May or.....

1928-Rstr.thumb.jpg.c79707eda14ccd144bb590bb003c3c49.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, prewar40 said:

The museum in Oshawa is a great place to visit if your near Oshawa

They have been spending lots of money on the building. It was originally a car dealership from built in the 20s with the old car elevator to carry cars to the second floor still in service. New roof, reface the front of the building, new sign that they had a major fight with the city and lost. Now redoing the interior. It was all long overdo but money was a big issue I believe.

If you do a tour through Oshawa the McLaughlin estate and the car museum are a must. Not a large museum but very nice. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:57 AM, prewar40 said:

The 1926 Landau Roadster was one of 3 Gardner cars at a Milwaukee show a few years ago.  This was in another magazine about 2015 at that time his Duesenberg was in his car barn and the Gardner was in his family room. I gave him documentation that by 1925 you could order any color you wanted for a fee. There were those that thought the color wasn't factory.

1926-L-rstr2.thumb.jpg.20cd2ec5e46b6caba77d62f2471d60d7.jpg

Thanks for the update on that particular Gardner.  I still have all my old Car Classics/Car Collector magazines from the 1970's, and the Gardner article was a particularly interesting read, as was another article on Dorris at the time.

I believe a number of car companies offered 'special paint' for a fee back then, including Studebaker.    It is definitely helpful to have the documentation stating that special colors were available for the authenticity judges.  Today, probably Porsche is best known for their 'Paint to Sample' as part of their 'Exclusive' order program.

Craig

• 9 months later...

this is a wonderful thread! I love all pre war cars ( almost!) but really take an interest in the odd larger cars like Locomobile, Cunningham, duPont, Gardner, Simplex-Crane, Holmes, White, and those makes that had a more prolific production like Franklin, Pierce Arrow, Packard , Reo ( especially Royale) etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2019 at 12:45 PM, prewar40 said:

March 17th will be the 100th birthday of the Gardner Motor Company.  This date used to be known as St Patrick's Day.
To celebrate the club is trying to locate 11 cars, we have the pictures. 
Please contact me if you know where any of these are located.  rdg105@comcast.net

Why only eleven Gardners?  Why not as many as possible?  Will there be a centennial meet event or is this a virtual meet to celebrate the occasion?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Why only eleven Gardners?  Why not as many as possible?  Will there be a centennial meet event or is this a virtual meet to celebrate the occasion?

I keep the Gardner Owners' Registry and I know of 152 Gardner cars.  I listed only those I have pictures of, but don't know where they are today.  Since my listing I found one and added a couple more. 

Edited by prewar40 (see edit history)