What Do You Use in Your Parts Cleaner?

Roger Frazee

I have just purchased a 3.5 gallon parts cleaner and am curious what solvent the forum members recommend.    I have read that solvents like mineral spirits can damage the parts washer pump.  I have also read that water-based solvents are ineffective.    I'd be interested in learning what other members prefer.

11 minutes ago, Roger Frazee said:

I have just purchased a 3.5 gallon parts cleaner and am curious what solvent the forum members recommend.    I have read that solvents like mineral spirits can damage the parts washer pump.  I have also read that water-based solvents are ineffective.    I'd be interested in learning what other members prefer.

Contact a company called Safety Clean for the right solvent. But if you want something that really cleans (don't put it in a parts washer) is lacquer thinner I use it to wash out carburetors, engine blocks and everything else.    

I went to my local NAPA and bought a 5 gallon bucket of what they had in stock. I poured about half of it in my parts washer and it has worked well for me. I have cleaned about everything needed on my current restoration project and have not changed the fluid so far. I think this is what I bought : https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MCR6510 

I bought one of those common harbor freight jobs, (keep it in a dark corner). Originally used mineral spirits. This works great, but has two problems: it got real expensive, and after a couple weeks it just reeks. I mean really smells bad and hard to get the odor off you. Not sure why. Now  we just use diesel fuel in it and that works well enough for Arkansas.

First pump failed quick, bought a replacement somewhere else that has lasted several years.

Edited by leon bee (see edit history)

I just purchased the newest version Snap-On parts cleaning tank. It’s a heated water based unit, and you can pour the dirty water down the drain, no epa stuff to deal with. It has an oil separator built in. Now the big question is will it work well. In my case, smell was more important than anything else as it is in an area where it will cause problem if it emits solvent type odor. 

D70C6BFD-E841-4927-B2A8-04BED25B18F7.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

13 hours ago, retiredmechanic74 said:

.................. But if you want something that really cleans (don't put it in a parts washer) is lacquer thinner I use it to wash out carburetors, engine blocks and everything else.    

Same here.

I tried the water based cleaner sold for parts tanks and while it may work on newer car oil and grease it didn't do much with 80 year old dirt, oil, and dried out grease. Would not touch the old gasoline varnish in carbs and fuel system parts.

The lacquer thinner that is used to rinse parts about to be painted, and that used to clean the paint spray guns,  gets recycled into the parts soaking tanks.    I have extra tanks to let the sludge settle out and then pour off the reusable lacquer thinner. Then the sludge is dried and sent off to the dump.

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

Water based cleaner is just formulated to clean oil based dirt. It is not designed to clean dried fuel/ fuel stains. I use those 5 gallon carburetor/parts cleaner tanks to clean fuel residue. I also use soda blasting for carburetor castings, works very well and washes out.

I use Hurrisafe in my parts washer, which I see is NLA. It used to be sold by Northern Tools Hydraulics whatever. So this does not help....:blink:

Yes, I have a five gallon ultrasonic parts cleaner, with a   built in heater.  This stuff is really serious !  It will attack aluminum. This removes paint, grease, stains and skin.   I buy it 30 gals at a time. 

Kriss Premium Products 3400 E 42nd ST Mpls MN. 55406 612-722-8485

KP707L - Tech7  $8.10/gal 

On 1/13/2018 at 5:06 AM, edinmass said:

I just purchased the newest version Snap-On parts cleaning tank. It’s a heated water based unit, and you can pour the dirty water down the drain, no epa stuff to deal with. It has an oil separator built in. Now the big question is will it work well. In my case, smell was more important than anything else as it is in an area where it will cause problem if it emits solvent type odor. 

D70C6BFD-E841-4927-B2A8-04BED25B18F7.png

Ed,

Does that mean we can keep it in the corner of the Dining Room?

On 1/25/2018 at 12:11 AM, crazycars said:

Used a home made parts cleaner made from a 55 gallon drum sliced lengthwise, many years.  Have had good luck with plain kerosene. Tank has baffles that come up half way and trap the greasy stuff.  Kero lasts quite a while and isn't too expensive.

You must have read the same tip as I did. I made one years ago and used it from time to time when I needed a big cleaning tank. When we moved it didn't make the cut on the last load I hauled since I hadn't used it for a few years. I made a wood top for mine with cleats to keep it in place when not in use and a wood frame with casters do I could slid it under the workbench. I'm pretty much a kerosene person myself.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...