My Retro 1930's BUICK SALES and SERVICE GARAGE

On 8/8/2018 at 11:48 AM, old-tank said:

Crushed stone or steel mill slag work work better

But oh that angular granite on the hands and knees

On 8/8/2018 at 12:20 PM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Nah! Go whole hog. CONCRETE, BABY.   Probably already past the cost effectiveness.

Believe me, after rolling about the 10th wheelbarrow load of dirt up the hill I was thinkin level this (%@$*&% out and pour the rest in concrete. But just kept on rolling.

On 8/8/2018 at 10:17 PM, JoelsBuicks said:

t looks really good; even looks like a good airy place to pull an engine every now and then.

any engine pulling will be done in the garage, in the AC, close to the refrigerator.

I'll probably go with a thin layer of pea sized river pebble just to help keep the tracking in of sand and red dirt down. Satisfied with the compaction so not really needing anything structural. Now to decide if I want to pay for a load to be hauled in or put some side boards on the car hauler and go after. Probably the latter, back it in and shovel off, pull up, repeat....

As I was watching the guy running the ridge cap along the peak, I thought darn, I aloud have installed some of the long chicken house roof vents I have to help pull the smoke from the barbecue pit.  Also can't wait to roast some oysters under it. Never fails to rain in October November  when my brother in law brings 3-4 bushels of oysters up from Savannah and we have our annual Low Country Boil shindig.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

But oh that angular granite on the hands and knees

Believe me, after rolling about the 10th wheelbarrow load of dirt up the hill I was thinkin level this (%@$*&% out and pour the rest in concrete. But just kept on rolling.

any engine pulling will be done in the garage, in the AC, close to the refrigerator.

I'll probably go with a thin layer of pea sized river pebble just to help keep the tracking in of sand and red dirt down. Satisfied with the compaction so not really needing anything structural. Now to decide if I want to pay for a load to be hauled in or put some side boards on the car hauler and go after. Probably the latter, back it in and shovel off, pull up, repeat....

As I was watching the guy running the ridge cap along the peak, I thought darn, I aloud have installed some of the long chicken house roof vents I have to help pull the smoke from the barbecue pit.  Also can't wait to roast some oysters under it. Never fails to rain in October November  when my brother in law brings 3-4 bushels of oysters up from Savannah and we have our annual Low Country Boil shindig.

(is this guy ever going to work on a Buick or drive one) :D

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, old-tank said:

(is this guy ever going to work on a Buick or drive one) :D

my thoughts lately too, Willie ?   i'm workin as fast as I can though. You wanna ride over and give me a hand. ?

On August 9, 2018 at 8:55 PM, JoelsBuicks said:

Engine crane?  That’s what that structure overhead is for.  Throw a timber or a 3” pipe up there and hang a good harbor freight chain fall on it and go to town with it.  

actually with the end bands being double 2x10 pine with 4x6 Y bracing I would not be afraid to pull one from it. At least a 322...

On 8/11/2018 at 10:49 AM, MrEarl said:

Also can't wait to roast some oysters under it. Never fails to rain in October November  when my brother in law brings 3-4 bushels of oysters up from Savannah and we have our annual Low Country Boil shindig.

Now you're making me hungry! I love oysters any way - raw, steamed, roasted, fried!

Cheers, Dave

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daves1940Buick56S said:

Ha! When I was living in Honduras in the mid 1980s, they had something called Huevos de Toro. Literally, Eggs of the Bull. I did try it once, on a dare of course. Not too bad, really, but I never did eat them again.

Cheers, Dave

Check this out.

http://www.roundthebendsteakhouse.com/festival

Went there once. Brought some home, sauteed them, sliced them, put some  nice garnish with them, and set them out at our annual faculty Christmas dinner.  No one said much until later when someone spilled the beans.  The reactions after the fact were pretty funny; especially from some of the ladies. ?

• Haha 2

and Texas Hill Country goat fries tops them all. Attended a big Boer goat farmers shindig somewhere around Fredericksburg back probably 20 years ago with my son Jordan who was maybe 8-9 and there was a big basket of them. He loves fried oysters so I told him here son try these oysters. He just commtented that they were tough. I told him probably because they came from a goat. The look he gave... priceless...

• Haha 2

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:46 PM, MrEarl said:

and Texas Hill Country goat fries tops them all. Attended a big Boer goat farmers shindig somewhere around Fredericksburg back probably 20 years ago with my son Jordan who was maybe 8-9 and there was a big basket of them. He loves fried oysters so I told him here son try these oysters. He just commtented that they were tough. I told him probably because they came from a goat. The look he gave... priceless...

All this bravado and you still didn't try Vegemite!

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Cheated and had 8 tons of Carolina Pea river pebble delivered. $60 delivery, can’t beat that. I don’t even want to mention the ton price of the stone though. ? It’s some beautiful stone though, with mostly white quartz and even some rose quartz. Hot, high humidity day but was in the shade most of the day. Almost fun. 

9881A030-360E-4E60-9493-D1ACB50DB5F7.jpeg

3/4” thick

A94610B5-A640-4407-B608-4AD6C6ED03F9.jpeg

371E4AE0-7E60-495A-B336-AB4BD5211EFF.jpeg

FF11611D-4D44-4EC5-BCF6-6AD26F7A5ED2.jpeg

C575E394-BC12-4770-8292-191030D425D8.jpeg

Elvis likes it

3C6A2697-14CE-498D-81C1-4EB032C974EC.jpeg

871B1088-FCF2-40FB-91F1-02B58BD1C00C.jpeg

CA9ECB95-1780-4010-858F-F11D127925E9.jpeg

All level

4BD373EB-4C18-4502-A2A9-794ED0F90DFC.jpeg

0EF7CD7E-4DFF-4900-8847-77FFDF8E1C6F.jpeg

One coffee, three gators and one beer. Sounds a little like a country song ...

9E198B75-E20C-435B-93F9-755BD83AAB4E.jpeg

• Like 12

Glad to see someone getting their projects done.  I think i need to call for a framing inspection before I can do anymore.

I spent part of today buffing out the decklid on the 40 Ford coupe. That was after going to the car show 5 miles away and walking the streets for a couple hours earlier.   That's where the for sale cars line up. Saw a nice 58 Buick sedan and a pretty clean older restoration on a stock 31 Buick sedan.  Neither were for sale.  The 58 was in action on the street and the 31 was just sitting parked, A little surprising to see since the majority of the cars range from rat rods to Muscle cars with many being heavily modified,  and some all out drag cars running up and down the road, that I'm sure would fail any state inspection. There were some 60's and 70's stock Buicks running around as well but I didn't really take note as to what they were.  I'm into older tin. Looked like a beautiful,  possibly restored (not rodded) 36 Pontiac 3 window coupe just inside the gate.  I'll pay and go in tomorrow.  I should take the camera and get some pictures for you all.  I imagine there are piles already posted online though.  It's the Adirondack nationals in NY state. 

I used to stress for a week and put as many as 4 cars one year in that show.  I lived about an hour and 15 minutes away.  Now I live 5 miles from the gate have probably nicer cars and didn't even register anything for it.  I'll cruise down on Sunday with the Hudson when they let the local riff Raff in and let Hudson be represented as I didn't see a one Today. 

• Like 2

That's nice looking river pebble and level to boot.  But, you need to slow down...you're making the rest of us retirees look like dead-end slouches!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DShip said:

.  But, you need to slow down.

If I ever slow down I’ll loose momentum, too much to get done to let that happen. Even after a couple of rain days and sitting around I start freezing up like an old engine. And there ain’t no starter fluid for old men to use to get us cranked and running again so just gotta keep running. I do set throttle to idle ever once in awhile though. ?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Here I'll give you a little fix of Buicks.  I told you all of a big show five miles from the house.  Here is a sample of a few of the Buicks I saw.  Remember this is a big rod show and heavy on Muscle cars so seeing stock early 60's Special and Skylarks is nto real common and anything pre 50's without a small block between the rails is pretty rare,  much less being Buick on top of that.  I actually never carry a camera but made an exception today and occasionally even remembered I had it on me.  The 40 Was spectacular.  The 32 A nice driver partially rehabbed and partially original.  The 1st generation riviera was almost a rod,  but actually beyond the wheels and hood ornament looked pretty stock.  The ragtop was nice and pretty stock.   

IMG_6131.JPG

IMG_6132.JPG

IMG_6136.JPG

IMG_6133.JPG

IMG_6134.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So I’m caught up now...a thread on lifts brought me to this forum so I decided to catch up on the BS&SG.  I started a few pages back in June.

No posts for over two months though?  You OK buddy?  

Lots of laughs...I was tempted to reply a few times, but didn’t want to bring up stuff that was too old.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I was just thinking of asking him if there are any good homes in the neighborhood with a big garage or place to build (though I don't know why I would want to punish myself again). 

2 feet of snow here yesterday, the high today is suppose to be 1 farenheit. With a feel like of -30.   Took 7 hours to plow out the property yesterday.  Dead battery in the tractor and plow quit working when I switched it back from the bucket.  Suppose to be -15 tonight. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
15 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

You know with these projects,  we never get time to actually work on our cars. 

Exactly...this morning we are going to use a cream poodle as a blank canvas for a Canada Day pet parade.

Looking good my friend.  

• Thanks 1