My Retro 1930's BUICK SALES and SERVICE GARAGE

That reminds me of re-roofing a garage years ago. My father-in-law laid up the first sheet of plywood and we than had to trim every edge piece. My father started the other side and there was no trimming involved as everything was square as it could be (building itself wasn't quite nor was a bedroom in the basement of the house that I worked long and hard to set up a waterbed as a spare bed before I put a square in the corner and figured out what was going on). 

• Like 1

Roofing and the framing of roofs is tricky to get perfectly square. With tin if the first piece isn't perfectly square then you're going to gain or loose a tiny bit from one piece to the next or you will gain or loose reveal at the bottom from one end to the other. Some roofers just install it then come back and saw cut the ends off so that it is straight, which is cheating. You have to maintain square, plumb and level from the layout of the footing of a building all the way through the build or else, like you working on your father in law's side, you'll wish they had.  

Lets see, I think it was about this time that I had to make the decision as to whether I was going to stain or paint the front windows and door. After thinking back on how long and tedious reglazing those windows was and that if I didn't prime and put a couple of coats of paint on said glazing I would likely be doing it again in 6-7 years I decided to go with paint. Rita and I chose a milk paint color that would be reminiscent of the time period of the building.

IMG_4962_zpsevsz3iqy.jpg

And I commenced to sanding the 1955 down so it wouldn't shadow through the paint, primed the glazing and gave it all 3 light coats of paint. This wall faces south west so receives full hot sun all year long which is deadly to glazing and paint.

IMG_4963_zpsxqjkl5jj.jpg

IMG_4977_zpsxipphnaj.jpg

IMG_4986_zpswz8quz0u.jpg

I think it tied in well with the galvanized tin and will look good later when the Buick signage goes up.

IMG_4983_zpsem6tnclz.jpg

• Like 6

Caught this 1890's roll top desk on CL this last weekend. It will go into the front office area of the BS&S. I had a pretty nice old tanker desk that I was going to use but I think this will fit the decor of the office much better.  It was basically a two owner desk with the first owner being the University of Wyoming which was established in 1886. The desk has a date of 1890 in one of the brass pieces. The gentleman I bought it from bought it from the University when it was moved out of the College of Agriculture in 1969. He was a 23 year old graduate student at the time,  paid $10 for it and he and 5 buds moved it down 3 flights of stairs and back up 2 to his apartment where he said it took up half his bedroom. He was asking $500 but after listening to his story, I countered with $300 and explained I thought that would be a fair profit considering inflation. He laughed and accepted. 

95EF030F-436B-43B0-9B7B-79749104ABEF.jpeg

59B81B1D-8137-4E7E-998E-8D20F556E3EE.jpeg

D2FFAEA8-B25B-4010-A1A7-59C5BF215064.jpeg

6D310A18-4690-48DC-9AAE-A0D5CCA5D4D5.jpeg

8D2E3D42-5C0E-4B96-9A21-AE9389706F43.jpeg

• Like 10

8 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Caught this 1890's roll top desk on CL this last weekend. It will go into the front office area of the BS&S. I had a pretty nice old tanker desk that I was going to use but I think this will fit the decor of the office much better.  It was basically a two owner desk with the first owner being the University of Wyoming which was established in 1886. The desk has a date of 1890 in one of the brass pieces. The gentleman I bought it from bought it from the University when it was moved out of the College of Agriculture in 1969. He was a 23 year old graduate student at the time,  paid $10 for it and he and 5 buds moved it down 3 flights of stairs and back up 2 to his apartment where he said it took up half his bedroom. He was asking $500 but after listening to his story, I countered with $300 and explained I thought that would be a fair profit considering inflation. He laughed and accepted. 

95EF030F-436B-43B0-9B7B-79749104ABEF.jpeg

59B81B1D-8137-4E7E-998E-8D20F556E3EE.jpeg

D2FFAEA8-B25B-4010-A1A7-59C5BF215064.jpeg

6D310A18-4690-48DC-9AAE-A0D5CCA5D4D5.jpeg

8D2E3D42-5C0E-4B96-9A21-AE9389706F43.jpeg

Nice desks. I like roll top desks.  They have character.  I have one in my office at home.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Larry. I have one in my office too, but much smaller than this. I think the roll top will work well in helping to keep the dust and other "settlings" from the back garage off the desk top. 

This one had been kept with the top open for many years and I think the sides with the slots may have warped in some causing the first slats of the top to hang about half way down. I'll be trying to remedy that with some paraffin in the slots first then if that doesn't work, wedging the two ends apart and leaving for a few months to hopefully reverse the warp. My first thought was hit it with some PBBlaster but then thougt better?

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, MrEarl said:

and then another very rewarding task. Install the  corbels into the brackets. IMG_5011_zpspcvfxy83.jpg

IMG_5006_zpsiohorihw.jpg

IMG_5002_zpscckpbunb.jpg

Lamar, You are a craftsman  !!!!!!!!

In an  earlier post , we see the finished product .

This post make me feel terrible when my wife said "Can you spare some time to take the trash out ? I'm busy ! "

Yes I did take the trash out . 

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Thanks Larry. I have one in my office too, but much smaller than this. I think the roll top will work well in helping to keep the dust and other "settlings" from the back garage off the desk top. 

This one had been kept with the top open for many years and I think the sides with the slots may have warped in some causing the first slats of the top to hang about half way down. I'll be trying to remedy that with some paraffin in the slots first then if that doesn't work, wedging the two ends apart and leaving for a few months to hopefully reverse the warp. My first thought was hit it with some PBBlaster but then thougt better?

I would probably try bees wax instead of paraffin.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Bill.

No question about who the trash man is around our house. I just wish "somebody" would learn how much valuable real estate a non compressed milk jug takes up in a trash can. Second only to 9-10 plastic water bottles!!!  Anybody want to take bets on whose wife can stack trash the highest. Never mind I don't want to take y'all's money.

33 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

Thanks Bill.

No question about who the trash man is around our house. I just wish "somebody" would learn how much valuable real estate a non compressed milk jug takes up in a trash can. Second only to 9-10 plastic water bottles!!!  Anybody want to take bets on whose wife can stack trash the highest. Never mind I don't want to take y'all's money.

Gotta learn how to pre-cycle then recycle.  Don't buy in containers that can't be recycled. ?

Let's build some doors. Some big heavy ass doors!

Lay 'em out on the floor again, using the old 3-4-5 triangle layout pattern.

IMG_5067.JPG

IMG_5068.JPG

IMG_5072.JPG

To try and keep the weight down as much as possible, used some of the cedar and spruce. You always want to keep spruce weighted down tight as it tends to bend and warp if left loose. Not as much as pine will but certainly more that cedar.

IMG_5078.JPG

Lay the cut to length lumber out on the lines laid out on the floor and mark for the cuts

IMG_5098.JPG

IMG_5099.JPG

And make the cuts to half depth

IMG_5104.JPG

IMG_5120.JPG

Tap the block with the hammer

IMG_5328.JPG

and they all come out together

IMG_5333.JPG

chisel smooth

IMG_5337.JPG

sand down

IMG_5338.JPG

IMG_5340.JPG

IMG_5341.JPG

one down, 71 to go  :wacko:

• Like 2

A dado blade in a radial arm saw or a table saw would work, but I don't have radial arm saw and handling the longer boards on a table saw would be difficult and more dangerous than the way I did it. It's really not that bad. I use the framing square to guide the saw for the first few cuts yo keep the edge of the cut for sure straight, then just go at it. The thing to ALWAYS remember is not to sit the saw down before the blade stops spinning while the guard is raised. But you're not a real saw man 'til you've watched a circular saw spin around uncontrollably on the floor for a couple seconds. A good quality (Makita) sharp saw blade helps. I got rather good by the 72nd set of cuts. (6 doors X 12 cuts each)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

The thing to ALWAYS remember is not to sit the saw down before the blade stops spinning while the guard is raised. But you're not a real saw man 'til you've watched a circular saw spin around uncontrollably on the floor for a couple seconds. A good quality (Makita) sharp saw blade helps.

Been down that road a few of times with my Makita.

The Spring that closes the guard on mine broke some time ago and I have been thinking I should fix it,  but then I start notching rafters, stairs or some other long angled cut and I'm glad I didn't, because it makes starting at an angle a lot easier than fighting with the guard.  Of course I'm the only that uses it, so it's not a problem.   

I have actually notched a tone of stuff this way,  building decks and what not.  

3 hours ago, MrEarl said:

A dado blade in a radial arm saw or a table saw would work, but I don't have radial arm saw and handling the longer boards on a table saw would be difficult and more dangerous than the way I did it. It's really not that bad. I use the framing square to guide the saw for the first few cuts yo keep the edge of the cut for sure straight, then just go at it. The thing to ALWAYS remember is not to sit the saw down before the blade stops spinning while the guard is raised. But you're not a real saw man 'til you've watched a circular saw spin around uncontrollably on the floor for a couple seconds. A good quality (Makita) sharp saw blade helps. I got rather good by the 72nd set of cuts. (6 doors X 12 cuts each)

When I was in the mortgage loan business, I made a construction loan to a local builder.  I didn't see him for a while but he finally came limping in one day.  He told me that his cicular saw guard didn't close and the saw hit the ground, jumped and landed on his foot. He lost two toes.  

Listen to the wisdom of Mr. Earl!

As an insurance adjuster, this would be a very unique structure to adjust.  To pay someone else (not that you could find someone else) to rebuild this exactly the same way would be impossible.  You can't reasonably estimate on paper what it cost to accumulate the proper materials, and the labor on each part is job-specific.  The best part of that is all of this documentation, that way an insurance company can't just say you can replace it with another standard structure.

You could have $20,000 on it or $1,000,000.  I've seen it all, well almost, certainly not to the customization and workmanship of this structure.  Most people are way underinsured on additional structures.

Insurance is a very personal thing, and I certainly don't want a response--just a random thought since it's what I do.

• Thanks 1

and thanks for that response Billy, good to hear your professional thoughts. At the point of it being dried in and about 90% complete on the exterior we had it insured and furnished lots of pictures. I realize it could never be replaced for even the amount we had it insured at that time and also realize that after the completion of the interior at which time we will have it reappraised,  that we will only be deeper in that hole. We also realize we will never see the return of our dollars spent and it will be impossible to put a price on the sweat equity when time comes to sell the farm. But just like our old cars, if you let yourself be guided solely by the value or your restorations you wouldn't be in this hobby. It's all about dreams and love for Buick's, what else can I say. But again, thanks for your professional thoughts.

So lets get back to them HAD's. You may recall some of the old heart pine bead board and flooring I salvaged from the 1890's farm house. I will be using some of it to build the three sets of barn doors, one set for the front and two for the back.

P1010141_zps843cfd7c.jpg

P1010143_zps819ae379.jpg

P1010144_zpsecea7b50.jpg

So laid the frame boards back out on the pattern marked on the floor being sure to stay perfectly on the lines on all four sides and corners

IMG_5222.JPG

IMG_5221.JPG

Then glue and screw them together

IMG_5225.JPG

IMG_5224.JPG

I always like to angle the screws in somewhat opposing each other when trying to get the most holding strength. Not sure if it matters, just something I do with screw and frame nailing.

IMG_5227.JPG

• Like 4

and cross bracing.

just lay out tangents of the cross brace piece on the frame

IMG_5124.JPG

IMG_5125.JPG

Mark a center line on the brace board

IMG_5127.JPG

use ol' yeller to run the line down the center

IMG_5128.JPG

Lay that under the frame, line it up and mark for your angled cuts

IMG_5129.JPG

IMG_5134.JPG

C clamp 'em down and cut 'em

IMG_5136.JPG

leave the lines to make sure they're gutentite

IMG_5137.JPG

and glue and toe nail 'em in

IMG_5138.JPG

before beginning to face them with the bead board, take the opportunity to mark out and cut the salvaged blue board insulation for placing inside the frame later on.

IMG_5150.JPG

IMG_5151.JPG

• Like 4

And then put the inner skin of the bead board on.

Lay the frame out at a somewhat comfortable working height.

Notice the cross bracing is laid out different on this the second set of doors. I learned that doing it the previous way gave too little room for toe nailing and the lay out and marking for cutting was much easier this way as it eliminated the need to mark center lines and tangents.

IMG_5199.JPG

Get the angle right and record it so the exact same angle reversed can be used on the opposing door, then start gluing and toe nailing them in the groove. Just let the ends run wild over the frame...

IMG_5189.JPG

IMG_5193.JPG

then C clamp a straight edge in line with but with an offset of the frame to allow for the saw blade position and cut the wild ends off.

IMG_5233.JPG

IMG_5240.JPG

mix a little mineral spirits with saw dust and rub the bead board to bring some life back into the old shellac. I'll go back later and sand lightly and apply more shellac after installed.

IMG_5283.JPG

IMG_5289.JPG

Lay side by side, grab a beer and stand back to see if the beads line up.

IMG_5258.JPG

IMG_5259.JPG

Close enough for a barn....

• Like 8

1 hour ago, avgwarhawk said:

I signed onto the  AACA Buick site to learn how to repair a Buick.  I instead learned how to frame a door!!!  This site has it all!!!!   God love it. :)

I just want him to hurry and finish that garage so he can show us how he stores and restores cars!;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, old-tank said:

I just want him to hurry and finish that garage so he can show us how he stores and restores cars!;)

Knew that was comin....  you've seen how I store 'em, not a pretty sight. One thing at a time, I just have a problem with timing and priorities I reckon. Tanks for stoppin by though.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

It IS just a barn!  You trying to get into some fancy pants wood working mag?:P

Not really and since it is Buick related would rather hang out and share with my Buick buds, if they'll continue to put up with me.

OK, lets get these HAD's hung....

but first let's get that blue board insulation in them.

Flip them over and just like a puzzle, lay all the pieces in and tape them good to prevent air flow.

IMG_5389.JPG

IMG_5393.JPG

But what do you do when your best laid plans fail and some of them don't fit. Just like any puzzle, trim them to fit. My sweet Rita came to rescue as she saw I was about to blow a fuse. 

IMG_5395.JPG

Install some temporary stops in the inside jams.

IMG_5413.JPG

IMG_5414.JPG

Lean the doors in, install some temporary hold boards on the outside to keep the heavy #%^#*&%  from falling back on me and shim them all around. BTW Rita had taken care of the emergency, gotten cold and went back to the house by this task.

IMG_5401.JPG

IMG_5399.JPG

Install the hinges with lag bolts. Checked Lowes and Tractor Supply. TS had the biggest and most beefiest. 3 to a door.

IMG_5524.JPG

Mark out for the bolt holes, predrill for the bolt and drill out for the fatter shank part  at the top of the bolt just below the head to prevent any chance of splitting the old pine and totally destroying the integrity of the bolts threads. 

IMG_5405.JPG

IMG_5406.JPG

IMG_5408.JPG

IMG_5409.JPG

I also run the threads through adhesive before inserting.

IMG_5410.JPG

Install some radiant barrier

IMG_5427.JPG

Absolutely love this 3M foil tape. Can you tell?

IMG_5431.JPG

Had the metal roofing supplier fab up some rails to put on top of the door to prevent ANY chance of rain or water getting in at the top of the corrugated metal.

IMG_5430.JPG

IMG_5516.JPG

IMG_5519.JPG

IMG_5520.JPG

• Like 5

A couple  more of the nice shiny radiant barrier on the back doors

IMG_5426.JPGIMG_5427 (2).JPG

Then around to the front and do it all again.

IMG_5416.JPG

IMG_5419.JPG

These doors will have some additional trim on the inside so will be heavier and will also be used more often as a driver will be parked just inside so I increased the number of hinges.

IMG_5522.JPG

IMG_5523.JPG

• Like 5

Someone had asked earlier how I treat all the old nail holes in the old chicken house tin. Apply it from one side and let it bleed through to the other.

On the doors exterior, I cut about half the tit off with a razor knife

IMG_5509.JPG

And the rubber washer screws used on all the siding, roof and doors.

IMG_5505.JPG

Not finding any action shots of cladding the exterior with the corrugated tin. Basically just cleaned all the tin with a 4:1 solution of water to muriatic acid, cut to length and screw them up. Laying out the screw patterns was fun.

IMG_5584.JPG

IMG_5583.JPG

IMG_5579.JPG

IMG_5580.JPG

IMG_5581.JPG

And the front doors

IMG_5612.JPG

IMG_5614.JPGIMG_5615.JPG

IMG_5613.JPG

IMG_5647.JPG

IMG_5616.JPG

• Like 7

Lamar, this is great craftsmanship and I love those details like having metal made to finish off those edges and taping off and using the radiant barrier.  Those half-lap joints are very strong and I suspect that those along with the diagonal bead board and outer skin would have held those doors square from now on.  

I’m curious about why you didn’t rust up those hinges?  Also, did you try to bias the hinges so to take out any play in the hinge itself?  I would be scared that I’d get a quarter inch sag if I didn’t.

I know this stuff takes a lot of time but your finished project will be well worth it.

Oops, just saw your latest post.  Looks like you did use the acid on those hinges.

Edited by JoelsBuicks (see edit history)

"bias the hinge"? not familiar with that term.

the hinges are pretty substantial. I had actually ordered some larger ones from a major hardware company to use but these were better made and really tight so felt confident that by using three on each of the back doors and 5 on the front door I would be ok. So far, after being up  for over a year, there is no sag, hopefully they will "hang in there"  at least as long as I'm hangin in there.  ;):)

ooops, forgot the inside pictures of the doors. Not finding pics of them after trimming out and with securing sliding bolts and spring latches, will take some later. 

Once the interior of the garage is finished these will get a good wiping down with mineral spirits and a coat of shellac.

IMG_5684.JPG

IMG_5686.JPG

IMG_5688.JPG

IMG_5690.JPG

IMG_5692.JPG

IMG_5696.JPG

• Like 8