Doble steam cars

Michael C Wauhop

I was just wondering when was the last time a Doble steam car was for sale and how much did it sell for. I was looking at Jay Lenos car on youtube and a friend asked me how much would somthing like that sell for-I have no idea the only time I saw a Doble for sale was at Hershey about 35 years ago-I remember they were asking 18K for it. of course toady it would go for much much more.

A sorted and running sedan, restored for show........350-450 .  Leno has a disappearing top Murphy and it's the only one as well as a late model, I would guess 850-1.2 They are a great car, but not for everyone.

I have had a chance to go over Leno's Murphy about twenty years ago. Very neat and complicated machine. I would put it in the Marmon V-16 Conv Coupe. It was at the Neathercutt Collection at the time. I still haven't had a ride in one, never mind driving one. It is on my bucket list.

Jay Leno I think still owns two Dobles the E-20 Howard Hughes roadster being one that Dick Hempel owned for many years. I have correspondence dated December, 1967 from Hempel to my father wanting to trade the Doble for a car owned by my father. Hempel claimed that his roadster was the only original Doble roadster and that the two others were conversions from coupes. By the way, if you watch Leno's video you can "read between the lines" and learn what he had to do to the car which had already been restored.

Not sure about the Spencer Dobles but Barney Becker had one on the '67 Glidden. Who has the 1924 touring that Clarence Marshall used to own? Aren't there only about seven surviving Dobles out of perhaps 24 made?

34 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Probably like a Model J -> a steam powered truck!

If you mess with building cars like I do, you study the movements of the body and suspension, to get a feel of how it rides, and the weights.

I've only talked with one steam car owner, but the first thing he said was the feel of the instant gut wrenching torque, as soon as it begins to move

Edited by F&J (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

How did they drive? How long from fire up to moving down the road? Has anyone here driven one?

I've never driven one, but the Doble was the absolute best iteration of a steam car built. "Fire up to moving down the road" was not very much time at all. Less than 3 minutes.

• 2 years later...
On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 8:37 AM, Linus Tremaine said:

I have some old photos of that doble. I know who owns it now and am saving up a few other pics for him as well before I send them down. It used to participate alot in the old car events in the 50s-60s. The top photo is in the late 50's. Barney Becker's 24 E14. My Dad's 22 Olds. in front. The Doble is now owned by Stan Lucus, of Lucus Classic Tire.

Scan_20181019.thumb.jpg.d4a296d483d7198666b52bf2a909ca9f.jpg

doble2.jpg

doble3.jpg

On 10/21/2016 at 5:15 AM, Restorer32 said:

Interesting video but how did they REALLY drive?

I'm Heather (Hempel) Wilson. I spent my entire childhood up until I was a young mother, with the Hughes Doble. My father, Dick Hempel restored it. We used it regularly and went on HCCA tour several times a year. From my spot in the rumble seat, it was a pretty smooth ride. It could get cold in the Idaho mountains, but the boiler bumped out just enough into the floor area that I could sleep on its carpeted top. It was a lot of fun. I'm sure Dad would be proud of Jay Leno owning looking several of the cars he restored. I'm also certain they would be friends. 

Screenshot_20190509-010151_Facebook.jpg

• 9 months later...