1933 Buick Model 90 value?

Guest ld114

Greetings from NYC,      I am trying to find the value of a 1933 Buick Model 90.    I just found out that this car has been sitting in a garage down the block for approximately 40 years.   I am helping out the lady who owns it; it was her fathers' car.  She has no idea of what the car may be worth.  She would like to get rid of it.    I figured somebody on here may have an 'expert' opinion.   It does need an interior. 

Any input is appreciated.  Feel free to call me at (718)445-3043 if you like. 

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

IMG_7817 (1).JPG

image3.JPG

image4.JPG

Handsome car, medium desirable, massive project. I think the $25,000 estimate you received in the other thread is very optimistic, so please don't file that one away as a baseline. So many people get a price that doesn't have any basis in reality and remain fixated on it, turning away reasonable offers that should realistically buy the car. This is a project, not a finished car, so price guides aren't going to be any help, either. Buicks are wonderful, but they aren't Packards. This isn't a diamond in the rough, more like an emerald.

As others have said, the condition of the interior and whether the engine turns are critical. To my eye, this car is a few steps past "clean it up, make it run, and have a nice survivor" yet is worthy of restoration. With that in mind, it's $80-100,000 away from being worth $50-60,000. I'm obviously a fan of big Buicks like this and have added a '33-34 90 Series of some sort to my personal wish list, but even as someone who loves these cars and very much wants one, I'd be hard-pressed to offer more than $10,000 for it, as-is. I think if you get an offer somewhere between that number and the $25,000 number up above, you should take it without hesitation.

Great car, but remember that the purchase is only the first of many very large checks the new owner will be writing. He's not going to over-pay for that privilege.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now,,, YOU know what I'm thinking,,,,,,,,,

If the wood is good, and not a ton of rust, and IF I was 20 years younger, $25,000. to me would not be an issue.  Sure I would try  to spend less, but I can see some real LOVE in the piece. 

Knowing what I know after building my modified 41 Limited here is what I would do.

I would find a donor BUICK or two, that I could graft the front suspension to the 33 Buick frame, plant a Buick late model V8 under the hood, injected, computer assisted, plus a Buick automatic tranny, then graft a Buick rear end under the frame.

I would have a set of rims made to look like 33 Buick pieces, but NOT wires.

I would do very little to the body, well new glass, and a new interior LIKE what came in the car when new.

I would have then power steering, power brakes, great ride, greatly improved MPG, and a SAFE piece that would just FLAT OUT LOVE 70-75 MPH.  

Folks along the way would see it as a 1933 model 90 series Buick, and I along with my passengers, well we would ENJOY the ride.

Scream all you purist want, but this is what I would do, and I would have ZERO regrets, period.  Look, I could go anywhere, anytime, and feel wonderful doing such.  It would be a daily driver, rain or shine.

Dale in Indy  

P.S. NO scallops, and NO visor, hear that Ben, hehe  Also I may be 79+, but have the ability to do such, just have to many toys right now.

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)
  • Like 2

If you could get 10-15k I think you should be really happy.  It's not worth that to me but someone with big dreams might do it.  (Newbie that hasn't learned from the first project)

I'm with Matt on dropping 100k into the car and maybe have a 50k car when done.  If I ended up with it I would probably do a mechanical on it with a new interior and preserve the rest as a daily summer beater.  

Dale,  I'll buy the drivetrain after you screw the car up.   

• Like 2

Very few cars receive a FRAME OFF total restore and don't end UPSIDE DOWN.

Difference with ME, and a FEW OTHERS on this site,,,, IS, WE CAN DO MOST OF THE RESTORE/MODIFY OURSELVES, and enjoy every minute of such. 

There is no way I would restore the drive train that's now in the car, and end up with a 45-50 MPH piece, 'no way', that's just not the arty in me, there are plenty of purist cars for me to see, I want to DRIVE my pieces.  I love purist cars, just don't care to own one. 

I can't be offended by "SCREW UP" comments, I have heard so many, I just SMILE and often have said, LET'S SEE WHAT YOU HAVE BUILT, a few have shown me their pieces, and I have said, YOU DID GOOD!  I'm always pleased to see well done pieces, EVERYONE can find someone that has done better/more, maybe YOU have run into someone that has done better/more than yourself.

I laid in bed last night thinking, OH HOW FUN THAT MODIFY BUILD THAT WOULD BE, OH HOW FUN/REWARDING,

Dale in Indy     

• Like 3

I just flat out LOVE TO DREAM,  I have built so many arty cars/arty pieces in my dreams.

Oh what I would do to a 49 RM HT SWEEP SPEAR CAR, Oh how I love to dream.

Did you ever think,, THIS LIFE YOU ARE LIVING IS REALLY JUST A LONG LASTING DREAM?  Could be, you know.

Dale in Indy

• Like 1

I thought I'd just rattle your chain Dale.  I believe I bought your 41' Engine/trans from Ebay years ago.  I sent a friend to pick the stuff up.  Probably not to many screwed up Limiteds in Indy?  

I'm guilty of having a 59' GMC 250 on a modern chassis myself.  Yes, It's screwed up my eyes also.  I did do the truck as a patina piece and has the correct wheels, hubcaps, and most of the interior.  Most car guys don't even catch what it is.  Looks like an old truck.  

Your wrong on that car being a 45 mph piece though.  Our 31' 90 series with high speed rear end will run 65+ all day long.  Those are strong engines. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Guest outlaw car man

Lot of work on this car, interior jump seats is it really a 90 ??? , hard to tell here, looks about right.  Way to old  to mess with another now, big beauties tho-

Here's what it looked like at one time. This one is mostly all original.  

OCM 

1933 Buick 90.JPG

• 2 years later...
On 8/19/2016 at 3:42 PM, Matt Harwood said:

Handsome car, medium desirable, massive project. I think the $25,000 estimate you received in the other thread is very optimistic, so please don't file that one away as a baseline. So many people get a price that doesn't have any basis in reality and remain fixated on it, turning away reasonable offers that should realistically buy the car. This is a project, not a finished car, so price guides aren't going to be any help, either. Buicks are wonderful, but they aren't Packards. This isn't a diamond in the rough, more like an emerald.

As others have said, the condition of the interior and whether the engine turns are critical. To my eye, this car is a few steps past "clean it up, make it run, and have a nice survivor" yet is worthy of restoration. With that in mind, it's $80-100,000 away from being worth $50-60,000. I'm obviously a fan of big Buicks like this and have added a '33-34 90 Series of some sort to my personal wish list, but even as someone who loves these cars and very much wants one, I'd be hard-pressed to offer more than $10,000 for it, as-is. I think if you get an offer somewhere between that number and the $25,000 number up above, you should take it without hesitation.

Great car, but remember that the purchase is only the first of many very large checks the new owner will be writing. He's not going to over-pay for that privilege.

I am the guy that purchased the 33’ Buick 97’ series out of Queens nyc in 2017. It does run no issues with 53,000 miles. Needed a new gas tank, fuel pump, wheel bearings, white walls, tubes, muffler. Got it at the right price but boy does the dollars add up 

Ralph 

BCA #1219

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ralph Fredericks said:

Got it at the right price but boy does the dollars add up 

Congrats and the reason why many said it needed to be bought right.  Even the best cars to start with can really rack up the repair bills, even when you do the work yourself.  

2 hours ago, Ralph Fredericks said:

Got it at the right price

That is the kind of vague information a buyer usually gives. When people come on the Forum to ask, as you did, all we can offer is speculation "got it at the right price", "we came to an agreement", "they accepted my offer".

Expert opinion, just speculation, but a lot come for it. You are a true expert on the value now, with the kind of knowledge you were looking for.

How much was it?

Bernie

Bernie, got it for $5,500 not knowing whether the engine turned over. I have invested another $20,000 on top of that to assure it was drivable. The engine I am glad today is solid. I have owned Buick of the 30’s since I was 15. 65 years ago🤣. It took 7 guys a full day to retrieve the car from a detached garage in Queens & transport it to New Jersey opps 55 years ago. 

• Like 1

That is really great to read and valuable information for others. It is not just the Forum, but anywhere you go in this hobby (like for 50 years) no one wants to tell what a car cost.

My rule of thumb is keep my risk at or below $3,000. I figure I can survive the hit should it happen.

I have run into situations here the old neglected family heirloom had no asking price. I have asked what they would buy if they had extra money. It is usually roof repair, windows, some home construction project. I think you were right in there for them.

Now, if all your outlay was cash on the table in front of you; would you hand it over and do it again?

Here's my Buick when I was 15. 55 years ago. The Olds was mine too. It was a little better.

1939-40.thumb.jpg.50e17a6a8a44c18242f6e4b87cf0be49.jpg

That '39 Buick was a significant car in my life. It came from a junkyard where I have hung out all my life. The deal for the Buick was in exchange for hand digging a septic tank hole. That taught me a lesson about hard work... and I have made sure to stay away from it for the past 55 years.

Thank you for the details on your Model 90 experience. I wish more car guys were that open.

Bernie

• Like 1

Hi Ralph ! Thank you in particular for checking back here to let us know the fate and status of your big Buick. So many times nothing but ?????????? remains from initial topics such as this. Now that 2 1/2+ years time has passed, it is of great interest to learn what is happening. We are all very happy to know that the car was fundamentally sound. Introductory price is not of much interest to me, though it seems a pretty good deal. All going "routinely" , $20,000 to put this car into reliable service might also be expected, barring unforeseen mechanical tragedy. Meticulous sequential pre-startup attention to engine, the needs of a long dormant vacuum-boosted mechanical brake system, fuel system, cooling system, bearings, seals, electrical, tires, clutch ?, suspension,  and on and on and on, I think, and I am sure you know from your decades of experience, you did rather well on a great hobby car in today's market.

When you get a chance, could you post pictures of the car as it is now, cleaned-up ? I hope the interior is not totally shot. We never did see anything whatsoever of the passenger compartment. 

Again, Ralph, thank you so very much for the update. As a mid 70s member of your generation, I can say that you are very fortunate in still being able to "play the game". I guess, in a way, the seeds of "the game" were planted for me back in the'40s in a '33 Buick. First car I ever rode in, first car I can remember.

Welcome ! Hope to hear more soon, and that you become a "regular" here !  -   Carl 

Edited by C Carl (see edit history)

Carl

this website has eluded me for years & I found it hard to get used to it. The front seat was missing & the gas tank was rusted so we fabricated a new one. Paul Rickman was my main source for the seat & original head lights & horns . The gas tank is almost finished that’s to a friend, so it hasn’t been on the road other than once. It will be at the eastern AACA next month in Parsippany. We did replace the brake pads, all wheel bearings, had the front seat totally redone. The car was originally blue under the black paint. I was able to find an original trunk guess what in blue so that will go on once we finish buffing the paint 

DE749B8A-DB94-4429-9E8C-C55AB68F4F4C.jpeg

66620D2D-5469-4F8D-B1D4-153747B932B7.jpeg

578CA898-8670-4102-93A4-54C63A2EE2AB.jpeg

9FA87108-F71A-4AF5-8200-A0E8B0C1BD54.jpeg

FF842458-1818-4160-8DF5-3E341CD9C220.jpeg

• Like 3

Ralph,

Do you have it ready for AACA on June 29?  I am looking forward to seeing it.  Jon Henry and I looked at it before you and he was pondering the extraction (my choice of the word) of the car, just before you bought it..

John Scheib

Yes we will have it ready for the show on that Saturday. It took us a full day with 7 guys to retrieve that car from the rear garage. We were able to inflate 3 of the 4 tires & needed a small car to pull it out onto the street to load on my trailer. See u then. I live minutes away from Parsippany so I will drive it.

• Like 1