Do you enjoy local car shows?

benjamin j

18 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I look for local car shows that have antiques but not street rods.

Both are plentiful around here, and sometimes the local shows mix them.

To me, a serious antique car show has only antiques.

No offense to the rodders, but I like seeing automotive history,

not modified history.

I'm shocked--SHOCKED--that you have not just one or two, but "plentiful" shows that exclude hot rods and modified cars. I can't remember that last show of any kind that I've been to that wasn't 70% modified cars and late-models. The Stan Hywet CCCA show we host each Father's Day is for unmodified cars only, yet every year there are a dozen guys with modified cars that sneak in and then pitch a big fit when they lose at judging time ("Hmmm, wrong wheels, wrong tires, wrong color, wrong interior, wrong seats, wrong engine, wrong transmission... shall I go on, sir?"). People lose their friggin' minds when you don't let the customized cars in. Our show is pre-registration only, so that gives us some control, but a casual cruise night or local show? How is not not full of modified cars--going to shows to sit in a folding chair is ALL THOSE GUYS WANT TO DO!

Just about the only shows I go to where I know there will be no modified cars or hot rods are CCCA Grand Classics. Otherwise, there's not a single show of any kind in this area that doesn't have a majority of rods, customs, and fresh-off-the-showroom-floor late model Corvettes. Cruise nights, of course, they're all modified cars. But even the POCI, LCOC, and BOP shows are now full of customized cars and rods. Hell, even the Early Ford V8 Club's show is half hot rods these days.

How is PA full of shows for unmodified cars while Ohio has exactly one? It's not like I'm not connected and don't get out to go to shows two or three or six times a week, it's not like I'm not paying attention. But I've NEVER, EVER seen another show without any modified cars beyond our own and there's a lot of pressure to get rid of that particular restriction. Even the big annual AACA show this year has decided to let modified cars in.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

Every week-end in the summer around here, 

a person has a choice of 2, 3, or 4 car shows of varying quality--

a few in the summer with 1000 or more cars, quite a few with 100-200 cars,

some fire-company or "church" shows with 25 cars.

It seems like there are more and more small shows every year.

Attached is a picture showing about half the show field from our region's

own local show, which has around 200 vehicles, antiques only.

AACA is active here;  so are the Buick Club of America,

the Cadillac-LaSalle Club, a Corvair club, the Horseless Carriage Club, and others.

Since antique cars are popular around here, some organizers

must have learned from the antique car people.  I was talking

to one woman organizing  a car show for the first time for her

organization.  She even mentioned herself that she knew that antiques

and street rods don't mix.

"That's right," I responded, and encouragingly explained why.

"You don't see mules at a horse show!"

show overall.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Matt see my post above - CT may not have a plentiful menu of shows like that, however what makes Klingberg and Belltown so attractive to me is in part due to their rules.

Klingberg cuts off I believe in the late 70s.  Prewar cars get a preferred spot, along with the "concours" - which may not be a Amelia/PB type concours but the level of quality for a local show is incredible.  (Still some cannot follow rules - left the '89 SL home to respect the cut off, only to see another one and some 80s cars there - organizers probably figured a scene at the check in tent is not worth it..).  Modifieds are there but more like 20% not 70%. This show is growing every year with space being the main challenge.

Belltown - strict 1972 cut off, modifieds park across the field, and not judged.  Club has followed Klingbergs lead lately in advertising their focus and asking owners of brass, New England built, etc. to come on out.  This show held its 50th anniversary a couple weeks ago and I am happy to report it was CROWDED despite the heat.  One participant was a "20 something" who drove his stock T 40 miles to participate.  This show had a drop in recent years but in the past few it seems to be coming back strong.  I also think once word gets out on what the show is about, people react.

There was a prewar only show in Wilton, CT  that was doing well, but for some reason the organizers made it a private event. Not a member of that club but I have an invitation to attend this year's gathering in September and hope to get there,

If muscle cars or modifieds are you thing, great - there are weekly events here for those, like anywhere else but we mainly avoid due to the fact we may want to see 10 - 15 out of say 200 cars.  I do think our AACA show in Glastonbury (Sept this year due to venue issues) draws a decent representation of all eras.  A pretty decent local show, but more a show than a cruise night.

Anyway, maybe we are lucky but my point is there may not be enough prewar interest locally to support this type of show each weekend, but then, is it really necessary?  In answer to the OP's question, yes, I like certain local shows that fit my interest.  But will take quality over quantity.  I might go to a "Cruise" type event maybe once a year, if really close by but that is about it.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Can't help but echo comments by Steve__ Mack and others re points made by John S. I particularly like the "You don't see mules at a horse show!" phrase. You are fortunate John to be in an area that has 3-4 active AACA regions that have been around for many years and where there are many pre-war cars.

Steve_, many years ago I went out of my way to attend a an annual event in Ridgefield(?), CT where there were only pre 1962 cars. It was excellent - so good that the OF's from Long Island were there. Is this one of the events that you reference? 

Yes, Ridgfield/Wilton (my geography in that part of the state is iffy!!) - they initially were prewar only (odd to see a '55 or '56 RR along with a '48 Lincoln Continental in the parking lot! ) but expanded to pre-62 for the last couple of years it was open to the public.  Very well run.  Event now takes place at a private residence but from the pics I saw last year, still draws some great cars.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Interesting to read some of the thoughts of people. I am just coming from the angle that if a car is parked inside a building, the only people who will see it. Are the people going in the building. If a car is out on the road being driven, it is being see by hundreds of people. And it does not make any difference if it is a street rod, custom or a restored original. It will stand out and be talked about by other people in the cars on the road. You will expose more people to your old cars by just driving them like they were built to do anyway. If you want to capture the imagination of a young person. The best time to do that is when they are riding in a car, staring out the window. Deep in their own thoughts. If you were to take all of the street rods and customs. And put them back in the fields and barns. Do you really think that all of them would have been restored by now? How many of you ACD Cords guys/gals, have up graded your drive shaft parts? When rebuilding your vintage engine, can you over bore it, and use pistons from some thing else? Are there books, or interchange manuals telling you what parts from different cars will fit and work on yours? Sounds like custom stuff to me. When you look at all of the car stuff as a whole. It is amazing how this side of the cars, could impact the other side.(street rods,customs) Traditional hot rods and customs are very popular. Guys/gals wanting the hot rod look, but with the vintage parts. And you guys/gals over here, have incredible knowledge on what parts will work together and how to get the most out of them. You are also sitting on a huge mountain of parts that could be used to create really cool traditional hot rods and customs. The youth has the desire and the ambition, you guys/gals have the knowledge and expertise. It is sad that this side of the car world is not more involved in the traditional hot rod/custom scene. Because so many of your great pieces of your history are customs them selves. I think you would see a huge rise in people interested in this side of cars. If the AACA reached out to the youth on the other side. Offering up your knowledge, and access to parts. The Hershey swap meet is a hot rod/custom car gold mine. If marketed as that, you would see more people there, sell more parts, get more vendors, and expose more people to the great show field you have. There is a big gap that should not be there. Nobody is saying change who you are, just open it up and share your knowledge.    

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

People lose their friggin' minds when you don't let the customized cars in.

I was visiting with a friend who has a 1955 F100 that is sort of a 1950s custom in black primer.  Our area car shows are all old guys with various street rods and a while back there was a "traditional" hot rod show nearby.  The understanding was that traditional hot rod meant everything was to be pre-1964 and my friend's truck looks the part--whitewalls on painted steel wheels and canted quad headlamps like in a kustom magazine circa 1958.  He said they looked his truck over on the way in and refused him entry because he had a piece of billet aluminum trim on the dash--not pre 1964, sorry.  With the way AACA people are criticized I was very amused at the thought of modified cars being rejected by snobs with OTHER modified cars, Todd C       

Edited by poci1957 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

... if a car is parked inside a building, the only people who will see it are the people going in the building. If a car is out on the road being driven, it is being see by hundreds of people.... 

Xander, you indirectly bring up a good point about shows:

Make antique-car shows very visible to the public!

Sometimes I've gone to out-of-the-area shows, even

marque-club national meets, where a show is off

Interstate 70, Exit 52A, in the big back parking lot behind

the Ramada Inn.  It's therefore away off in a concrete jungle,

hidden from sight to almost everyone who lives in the area.

Far better is to put the show in a public venue.  There will be

a nice local show Sept. 24 up on the picturesque streets of historic Gettysburg;

a Packard meet was in the beautiful setting of a small historic college campus.

This year's Grand National meet interacted with the public superbly

amid the grassy corridors of the Pennsylvania College of Technology. 

Or put your event in a scenic, tree-shaded park right in town, surrounded

by Victorian houses.  People from town will see it and naturally

be drawn to it.  We WANT the public to see our cars and be interested.

Make the event a part of the community!

Warren house and 59 Cadillac.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I don't go to many shows at all. I mostly like riding around on back roads, stopping at small town diners, and splashing hot oil all over the inside of my engine. I used to go to club functions, but, unless it was a show, it seemed like I was the only one driving an old car.

My thing is sitting in an uncomfortable chair by the car when I could be driving it or working on it.

With both original and modified cars, the cars are fine, it's usually the personalities that come with the cars that detract from the day.

I like modified cars. Back in the early 1980's I put a 350 Buick engine in a 1960 Ford F-100. I enjoyed doing it as well as driving it. Since then most of my "good" cars have been Buicks and Cadillacs, or something similar and there was no benefit in modifying them. And I'm not interested in many Fords or Chevies that certainly could be improved. Just buy the better car.

I do have to laugh a little at the CCCA frowning on modified cars. Aren't most of them? I think a lot of chassis were shipped off to caves where guys with hammers, sheets or tin, blocks of wood, and lots and lots of lead beat out some non-production models held in pretty high regard. Imagine the work they could have done with some of today's serious hobbyist metal working equipment. Some of those cars are quite nasty under the surface. I still like them but in my mind they will always be modified cars.

Maybe it is all in a person's need to share experiences. When I was in my 30's I wanted to go places and do things with groups who shared my interest. Today the social burden outweighs the value of the trip. I'l just put a couple cars on my lawn and take a folding chair way up in back to a shady spot and have an iced tea.

Bernie

2 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

I do have to laugh a little at the CCCA frowning on modified cars. Aren't most of them? I think a lot of chassis were shipped off to caves where guys with hammers, sheets or tin, blocks of wood, and lots and lots of lead beat out some non-production models held in pretty high regard. Imagine the work they could have done with some of today's serious hobbyist metal working equipment. Some of those cars are quite nasty under the surface. I still like them but in my mind they will always be modified cars.

What an "unmodified" 1931 Rolls-Royce PII might look like:

h24-028j.jpg

What an "unmodified" Duesenberg J might look like:

20-Chassis%20Duesenberg%20Model%20J%2019

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 60FlatTop said:

My thing is sitting in an uncomfortable chair by the car when I could be driving it or working on it.

Maybe it is all in a person's need to share experiences. When I was in my 30's I wanted to go places and do things with groups who shared my interest. Today the social burden outweighs the value of the trip.

Not to be antisocial but I am right there with you Bernie.  Since I work all week my only time to actually work on the car uninterrupted (more or less) is Saturday and Sunday afternoons and I cherish and protect that time--I just can't give up my prime old car hours to sit at a show.  That is why an evening show or weeknight club meeting suits me much better than a weekend show, Todd C

• Like 1

Here in CT there used to be a "Traditional Hot Rod" show that would not admit anyone who showed up in a "Billet" type of hot rod, you know the '34 Ford coupe with AT, AC, PW, Nav, etc. etc.  but I guess that is not as bad as finding that one billet item on the dash.  Their advertising was so obnoxious I would not go even as a spectator (no hot rods here, but the not so common well done traditional example can be really cool).  At least it was clear "show up in a pro built POS billit-mobile and you do not get in,  Our decision is final.."  Essentially what was on their fliers.  I mention only to point out a lot of groups are exclusively interested in a narrow focus - not just traditional antique car people. 

If I could make a suggestion. Just as a test balloon. Who ever runs this web site, put up a section/page/link like you have on other topics. Have one for traditional hot rods/ customs. And market that page on the site in the hot rod world. That would get some of the young car builders on the other side, coming to you guys with questions on what will work, where to find it. And open up a door for restoration shops on this side to pick up some work because they are set up to repair/service/rebuild some of the vintage stuff that other shops have moved out of. Because they are dealing with the modern side of things. And then all of you older guys/gals can jump in and help out with your answers and advice. And help out the young people building their cars. All of you have time to post your comments, and still have time to sit in the grass and have a drink. So post advise and information that helps out young car guys/gals on the other side. No matter what kind of car they are building.  

12 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Here in CT there used to be a "Traditional Hot Rod" show that would not admit anyone who showed up in a "Billet" type of hot rod, you know the '34 Ford coupe with AT, AC, PW, Nav, etc. etc.  but I guess that is not as bad as finding that one billet item on the dash.  Their advertising was so obnoxious I would not go even as a spectator (no hot rods here, but the not so common well done traditional example can be really cool).  At least it was clear "show up in a pro built POS billit-mobile and you do not get in,  Our decision is final.."  Essentially what was on their fliers.  I mention only to point out a lot of groups are exclusively interested in a narrow focus - not just traditional antique car people. 

Do the guys who get turned away spin their tires in furious anger on their way out? Because that's apparently the correct response. We get four or five guys every year who show up with their rods at our CCCA show every Father's Day morning and expect to be let in at the gate (never mind that it's pre-registration, unmodified cars only). When they're told that they can't come in, they say unkind things to the nice old lady at the gate, rev their engines, then burn rubber up the street. Everyone lined up along the street watching the cars parade in surely thinks those are the coolest guys of all. I know I do!

Let me be clear, though: I'm not against modified cars. I sell them and I own them. But I'm 100% against boring cars, and the cars at most shows are lessons in cookie cutter vehicle construction with no imagination, no craftsmanship, no innovation. Just order parts out of a catalog and bolt them together. 350 Chevy, TH350 transmission, 4-barrel carburetor, cheap chrome valve covers, 9-inch Ford rear, Mustang II front suspension, Torque Thrust wheels, indian blanket on the front seat, Rat Fink stickers, and a skull shift knob, just for cool points.

Anybody else seen that car? I see it at least twenty times at every show I go to.

Kudos to the hot rod guys who are tired of that crap, too.

I attend two shows, Frankemuth, Michigan a show on GRASS, along the river, and to meet up with friends I see just ONCE a year.

The other show in Louisville Kentucky, huge,huge show.  Wonderful site, very large inside vendor area, large inside area where ONE OF A KIND pieces are displayed.  Not belly to belly, but lots of room between such so you can really check them out.

I agree that to many cookie cutter pieces attend most shows, but I also understand that many of the owners love thier pieces, so I SMILE as I walk on.

Dale in Indy

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

" Let me be clear, though: I'm not against modified cars. I sell them and I own them. But I'm 100% against boring cars, and the cars at most shows are lessons in cookie cutter vehicle construction with no imagination, no craftsmanship, no innovation. Just order parts out of a catalog and bolt them together. 350 Chevy, TH350 transmission, 4-barrel carburetor, cheap chrome valve covers, 9-inch Ford rear, Mustang II front suspension, Torque Thrust wheels, indian blanket on the front seat, Rat Fink stickers, and a skull shift knob, just for cool points."

I like to call that the Country Music Syndrome. You know how every cowboy song goes; I'm crying in a bar. my wife left me, my house burned down, my dog died, Ohhhh, woe is me. That's the recipe for that type of song. Cars have the same recipe as well.

Way back when I was in High School I remember reading a short story in Road & Track that I wish I could find. It was about an individualist. He bought a certain type of car, a jacket, boots, and so on. Others liked his individualism and took on the look, soon there were enough individualists to form a club. All owned the same type of car, wore the same clothes, and were proud to be individualists. I paraphrased some of that story in one of my own that got published in the student's literary magazine, even gained a little fame when an English teacher tore it up in front of his class. (Not enough to overcome pimples and get laid, though). That story has pervaded most of my life's experience, lucky I have a great appreciation for ironic humor.

Cookie cutter lives in "ticky tacky" houses with a two car garage and one bay has the Hot Rod begged from the wife with cashed in IRA funds. I'd stick out my bottom lip and spin my tires if that was my lot, too.

It's been a fight to stay unconventional. That's what I think about sometimes while I sit in that shady spot looking at a lawn with more cars than a sane person would own. I'm not antisocial. Just selective.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I am an individualist trapped in the body of a Ford A &,T etc. owner.  Is it individual to collect common garden cars?? :D 

Would love something unusual sometime - almost went for a Marquette that is a real nice car and a little unusual if not overly valuable.  But it has yet to happen.  But back to the OP's question - shows that draw the unusual do seem to draw me in.

Here is a link to a car show/rally we just went to. It is put on by the Sun Valley Auto Club. While I have nothing to do with it, this would be a cool spot to see some  early millers,or cars like the Stutz Jones Special. I can not imagine that they would turn away early performance cars to be in the show, or to make the speed runs. And this is a good example where I have not seen them market this event to other sides of the car world. And it would be a good event to show case early performance cars, from this side of the car world. It is really cool that the town of Sun Valley lets them close down a road and see how fast you can go.  

This has turned into a bit of a modified speculation thread. I guess I can let my secret out. I stepped on the cookie cutter while I was walking along looking up plagiarize. Sitting in the shady sipping the iced tea I can see my '48 Packard with a little trim here and some metal shaping To do a custom like this. Of course I'd have to convert to 12 volts to make the headlights work

3canvas.png

Galibier-Specs.jpg

But I can see it in my mind. This one could happen.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

We enjoy local shows and talking to the people, also enjoy cruise ins where we just show the cars and talk ( and eat!!) My wife and I enjoy showing our car at concours d'elegance shows too. It is amazing the older people who come to look at the older cars. ( I'm getting to be one of them)  We've met some great people showing our car, laser weapon builders, diamond mine owners, rich or poor we always enjoy the people. A group of locals who all own older or collector cars go out to eat together every Friday night. We are not a club, just good friends. Our car is driven & shown, it isn't much fun sitting in the garage or on a trailer. Don't get me wrong, if a show is a long way off it is trailered. About 40 miles is my limit for a 1930 Chrysler...

WARNING...IF YOU DO NOT LIKE VERY BIG CAR SHOWS OR BIG CROWDS, SKIP THIS REPLAY----ALL OTHERS ENJOY, I HOPE..

I just spent 8+ hours each of the past 2 days at the WOODWARD DREAM CRUISE--40,000 cars and 1 million people stretched across 11 miles in both directions on the outside of Detroit...all along M1, the first paved road in USA.  You may see vehicles from 1 wheel to fully a customized tow truck used for tractor trailer rigs and everything in between, including the original Batmobile.

I have gone almost every year of the past 22.

My experiences may be at one end of the spectrum since I take a rare classic--1954 Kaiser Darrin, owned since 1956.

Admittedly, I did not "cruise" this year.  The heat and humidity beat me up badly!

But, I did stay parked in one of the local community parks at the hub of activity.  TIMG_6572.JPGhere were more than 500 cars in this park.

As you can see from the pics, my car is surrounded by people, all day long.  My wife asks how I can answer the same old questions like.."so it was made in Germany" or "it was made to compete with the Corvette" time and time again.  It is never drudgery since you never know who you are going to be talking to, like the head of the 2008 Viper program, or the guy who used to haul limestone to the coke ovens at the bottom of the hill I lived on in PA, 50 years ago.

This show provides me an opportunity to let people know that there was a big car company that was not the Big Three and that there was a time when all cars did not look the same.

Additionally, this exposure has lead to me finding "lost" Darrins, parts, and invites to special events.

This is a spectacular event.  It has grown every year to the point that this year included legal drag racing!

If you haven't been, make a point to do it in the future.

BING or GOOGLE   "WOODWARD DREAM CRUISE"  and look at the pics and especially the videos.

IMG_6567.JPG

IMG_6570.JPG

• Like 1

On 8/17/2016 at 1:47 PM, JV Puleo said:

I heard my favorite dumb car show comment a few years ago... looking at the engine of a really fabulous 1910 Peerless I heard "boy, you could get a lot of money scrapping this one." I really don't think of myself as an elitist, but prolonged association with the general public leaves me feeling like a duck out of water. And... I detest loud speakers blasting pop music I couldn't be bothered with when it was current. I don't expect others to cater to my tastes but I fail to understand why they think they have a right to force theirs on me.

I follow Peerless cars a little and think I know the car...maybe a green 1910 Roadster? That one's a Model 27, body by Brewster Coachbuilders, in the Heritage Museums & Gardens Collection in Sandwich, MA. It used to sit in the lobby of the Carling Brewery{ex-Peerless factory} in Cleveland as a display in the 60s or 70s before residing in the McNutt, Crawford, and Lilly collections.  It's one of 1,400 built, and about 9 surviving, 1910 Peerlesses and took Best-In-Show at the Endicott Show 2 or 3 years ago. It's in fine running condition, and there's a recent youtube video of someone crank-starting it, possibly at the show in question. [The url is: https://youtube/itQEtkzoJac] In the video you can actually hear some loud pop music in the background... 

Saying it's worth a lot in scrap sounds better than "I'm ignorant about antique cars and don't understand what any of the parts are.", I guess. Maybe he was a criminal and saw some shiny copper, aluminum or brass he would rip off if he found the car abandoned somewhere. Scrap value of a car these days is what, $150? This Peerless is not for sale......but insurance value would have to be 1000 times that. Or 2000.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

That is the car and I don't think the guy was a criminal — unless being dumb as a stump is criminal now. Mind you, this was at a car show that was not on a main thorofare.  You had to actually go to it, park and walk some distance to the show field so presumably, this was someone who was supposed to be interested in old cars though I suspect their notion of old may have extended back to the 1950s. It is an extreme example of why I find dealing with the general public to be a nuisance. Certainly they aren't all this way, nor am I ever impolite but there is very little incentive to going to these local shows, especially as this is one of the biggest and was once the best one in my immediate area.

9 minutes ago, JV Puleo said:

That is the car and I don't think the guy was a criminal — unless being dumb as a stump is criminal now. Mind you, this was at a car show that was not on a main thorofare.  You had to actually go to it, park and walk some distance to the show field so presumably, this was someone who was supposed to be interested in old cars though I suspect their notion of old may have extended back to the 1950s. It is an extreme example of why I find dealing with the general public to be a nuisance. Certainly they aren't all this way, nor am I ever impolite but there is very little incentive to going to these local shows, especially as this is one of the biggest and was once the best one in my immediate area.

That's a good point--it's hard not to get fed up with the public at car shows. It's not anyone's fault, but you get the same questions over and over and over. And I don't really mind the questions, but I can't stand the guy who comes up and is quite obviously misinformed, yet who insists that he's right and you KNOW he's wrong. There's no having a conversation about it and no dissuading them from their incorrectness. I remember being at a show decades ago with my father's 1925 Buick (one of the few times it actually ran) and a guy came up and said his father had a 1937 Buick that looked EXACTLY like it. I said maybe he meant 1927, but he was adamant that his father's car was a 1937 BUICK! YA KNOW THEY ALL LOOKED THE SAME BACK THEN, DON'CHA? Even at age 11 or 12 or whatever, I knew a 1937 Buick looked absolutely nothing like a 1925, but this guy wasn't going to hear it, least of all from a little kid.

More recently, a guy at that show where we took the Cadillacs insisted that the Hydra-Matic in my 1941 Cadillac was built by Packard. Packard was the first to invent an automatic and everyone bought them from Packard, even after they went out of business--they just made transmissions after that. Holy crap, I didn't have enough facepalms to give out to that guy.

77c.jpg

I grow very, very weary of that nonsense. I don't mind basic ignorance, but willful ignorance is unforgivable.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

I just talked to the Dmv today.. I can not take my car on the road..

The plates do not match the car.. It is not register..

They have been on the car since 1981.. 

You got love the old man.. He paid for them.. Just use them..

The car may be out once a year or every five years..

IMG_0265.JPG

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

We don't do many local shows but I do enjoy listening to some of the inane comments folks made. "Now Son, that's what a real lacquer paint job looks like. I can tell lacquer from 20 feet away" (while looking at a fresh base/clear paint job), "See those valves on top of the head?" ( while looking at the priming cups) "those are compression releases. You open them, spin the motor then quickly close them", "Rolls Royce hoods were sealed at the factory so you couldn't touch the engines", and my favorite " Grandpa had a Packard in the '30s but it was a straight 12". We have heard every one of these comments more than once. "This Model T is painted wrong, they were all black when new" is almost too common to merit mention.

2 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

"Rolls Royce hoods were sealed at the factory so you couldn't touch the engines",

and my favorite " Grandpa had a Packard in the '30s but it was a straight 12". 

"This Model T is painted wrong, they were all black when new" is almost too common to merit mention.

Hoods sealed at the factory, thankfully it has been a while since I heard that one. 

That and the miracle carburetor.  It is a test of my diplomacy to just let such people go on unchallenged since you might as well not bother, Todd C  

The funny bit is, that RR story has a very thin shred of truth to it. The American Ghosts and Phantom Is had locks on the hood but the idea was to keep chauffeurs from tampering with the adjustments. Of course, the owner could give the keys to his chauffeur, that was his choice and you had to lift the hood to change the oil or many other jobs in the regular service cycle. I seriously doubt many wealthy RR owners came down with the key and watched while their chauffeur did these things, so the locks were really superfluous. The carburetors also came with little lead seals on the adjustment screws so that RR service could tell if someone other than them had adjusted it. I once worked on a 1921 Ghost (with 14,000 original miles) that still had one of the lead seals on the carb.

35 minutes ago, JV Puleo said:

The funny bit is, that RR story has a very thin shred of truth to it. The American Ghosts and Phantom Is had locks on the hood but the idea was to keep chauffeurs from tampering with the adjustments.

Did not know that, I guess that would be enough to inspire the story. 

1 hour ago, JV Puleo said:

The funny bit is, that RR story has a very thin shred of truth to it. The American Ghosts and Phantom Is had locks on the hood but the idea was to keep chauffeurs from tampering with the adjustments. Of course, the owner could give the keys to his chauffeur, that was his choice and you had to lift the hood to change the oil or many other jobs in the regular service cycle. I seriously doubt many wealthy RR owners came down with the key and watched while their chauffeur did these things, so the locks were really superfluous. The carburetors also came with little lead seals on the adjustment screws so that RR service could tell if someone other than them had adjusted it. I once worked on a 1921 Ghost (with 14,000 original miles) that still had one of the lead seals on the carb.

From the RROC website:

Rolls-Royce bonnets have never been sealed shut by the factory.

During motoring reliability trials - which were common in the early 20th century - it was customary to seal the bonnet and radiator so that competitors could not top up the coolant, adjust the carburetter or be able to do any other work on the car during the trial. This applied to all competitors, not just the Rolls-Royces.

It is possible that for many people, a reliability trial was their only opportunity to see a Rolls-Royce (which was more often than not the winner) and they concluded that as it had its bonnet sealed, so must all Rolls-Royce motor cars be sealed.

• Like 1

I suspect that if that were the origin of the myth, it would be applied to other makes as well. How many Americans would have even been aware of the 1000 mile trial? The original one was in 1900 and there weren't any RRs there since Henry Royce didn't even start building cars until 1903. Early on, I doubt most spectators would have thought the RR anything special vis a vis other cars... its reputation is based on quality and longevity and in the first ten years of the 20th century it was just one of several impressive and extremely expensive cars.