Allentown road trip checklist

Matt Harwood

OK long-haulers on your way to Allentown, those of you who are already there and those of you who are planning to head out, what did you bring that you needed, what didn't you bring that you ultimately did need, and what would you take if you had a second chance? Melanie and I are loading up the Limited tomorrow morning and hitting the road, running through Hershey on Rt 322. I've got that sucker running as well as it's ever run, the fluids are topped off, the bolts are tight, and all it needs at this point is a few extra PSI in the tires.

Here's what I'm bringing, so please feel free to add something I've overlooked. Maybe being prepared will mean I won't need anything.

• assortment of hand tools for basic repairs
  • two gallons of coolant
  • two quarts of oil
  • funnel
  • cleaning supplies/duster/quick wax/bucket to wash it at the hotel after the road trip
  • work gloves
  • brake/carb cleaner
  • spare coil
  • points/condenser/rotor/cap
  • spare voltage regulator (is it good? Who knows? It's a mystery!)
  • replacement electric fuel pump
  • fuel hose/clamps
  • electrical tools/wire/tape
  • metal strapping (for holding stuff onto other stuff)
  • zip ties. Lots of zip ties.
  • jumper cables
  • There's a spare in the car, but it's ancient and there's no way I'm using this jack that comes with the car. Flat tires are probably a trip-ender at this point, I'm afraid.
  • fender protector
  • fire extinguisher
  • duct tape
  • hand cleaner
  • shock absorber oil (because I think they're leaking) and a squirt bottle with a hose to get it into the totally $*#&ing unreachable passenger-side shock fill port

What am I missing? I tried to think of things that could go wrong on the road that I would have a modest chance of fixing given the proper tools and supplies. Anything critical I'm overlooking? Thanks for any tips, hopefully this'll be useful for others as well.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Wishing YOU well, man oh man, that is quite a list, looks good to me.

Hey, these 41's were driven across country time and time again, so it will do just fine. 

Keep positive, Oh, a flat tire ISN'T a game killer, a bottle or scissors jack would be my choice.

Enjoy,

Dale in Indy

All loaded and ready to rock. Supplies on board, full tank of gas, and on my trip in to work today the odometer turned 68,000 so it'll be easy to track mileage and when to stop for gas (I couldn't quite find the time to drop the tank and get the fuel gauge working). Trunk is full of gear, although there are still two computers and one suitcase to go--for such a giant car, trunk space is really kind of, er, limited. Fortunately, we have what amounts to infinite storage space in the back seat. See you tomorrow!

Limo1.jpgSpeedo1.jpgTrunk1.jpg

• Like 1

Wasn't able to plan the trip, but there is a possibility of just getting up early Friday and running down there, now.

Let's see, the car is only 55 years old. Check the oil and water, throw in the map book from my truck. Oops! Personal items. At the grocery store they used to ask "Paper or plastic". Paper is for travelers. I saved some.A couple pairs of jeans, some socks rolled up and underwear, toothbrush and a razor in a paper grocery bag, two bags if I come back on Sunday.

And be sure to have a dime in case I need a screwdriver.

003.JPG

Bernie

• Like 2

Matt, I notice that your car appears to be missing the lower rocker curved trim piece that goes between the rocker, and the skirt.  It goes on the rubber fender gravel protector.

I may, MAY, have at least one of these, I will look,  THAT IS IF YOU ARE IN NEED,

Dale in Indy

3 minutes ago, smithbrother said:

Matt, I notice that your car appears to be missing the lower rocker curved trim piece that goes between the rocker, and the skirt.  It goes on the rubber fender gravel protector.

I may, MAY, have at least one of these, I will look,  THAT IS IF YOU ARE IN NEED,

Dale in Indy

I actually have a left side trim piece, but I don't yet have a right side piece--was thinking there might be one at Allentown (unlikely). I decided not to install just one, even though folks can't see both sides of the car at once. I have an NOS pair for my Century, but I'm always reluctant to steal from Peter to pay Paul, if you know what I mean.

If you have a right side piece, I'd happily pay market price for it. Can you check? Thanks!

Maybe someone at the show will see your post on the flat tire, and OFFER to be of help should you need such.

Post your cell number if you would accept some help.

Twenty miles out of Allentown would be an easy drive to be of help,

I know it will all work out, and you will ENJOY the show,

Dale  

So the car runs beautifully. We were driving on the side roads for quite a while and quite honestly, it was a lot of work. Twists, turns, up hills, down hills, etc. It's pretty mountainous once you're in PA. After a few hours of that, we hit Route 80, and Melanie, looking at the map, said, "If we take 80, we can be in Allentown in 3.5 hours or keep going this way and be in Hershey as planned in 3 hours." So we got on the interstate and headed for Allentown instead. 

It turns out that the limousine LOVES the highway. On the side roads, it was coast downhill and worry about overheating the brakes, then hammer it up at 3/4 throttle or more, the highways were smooth and gentle with fewer turns. No big throttle needed to go up the mountains (this sucker is STRONG--it totally ignores the hills) and easy going down. Oh, and did I mention that it was raining? That was a little dicey on the side roads when the bends were sharp and we were hurtling downhill. Anyway, at 55-60 MPH on the highway, the limousine just whispered along in near silence, totally smooth, engine holding 170 degrees and 45 pounds of oil pressure. Totally relaxing and at ease. The car was running SUPERBLY. It was the best drive in an old car I've ever had. Never a moment of hesitation and never once needed the electric fuel pump, even with temperatures in the high 80s. Hell, we were even getting about 14 MPG. Wow.

About 11:30 at night (yes, it got late on us) we hit some kind of giant expansion strip between the road and the bridge and it shook the car to pieces. The exhaust manifold is now broken, not just cracked--THAT's how hard the hit was. No amount of heat seals it up. Goddamn it.

About a mile later, I feel the left front wheel tugging and we get off the highway to check it out. Pressure is way down--not like you see in the photo, but too low to drive. Try to pump it up at a gas station and discover that it's coming out almost as fast as I can put it in. Get hotel and figure we'll deal with it in the morning.

This morning, I go out and the tire is 100% flat. Walk up the street to the store and buy a 110V air pump and 100 feet of extension cord. Not close enough to an outlet, so, being an idiot, I decide that if I go very, very slowly, I can move it the 40 feet needed to get within range. THAT's when the tire came off the rim. So unlikely that there's any damage, but now I'm really boned. Pull out spare and discover that it is a giant truck tire that doesn't clear the headlight bucket inside the fender--yeah, it's too big. Need a new tire. I know Universal is in Hershey 90 miles away. Decide that maybe they can overnight me one and I can have it sometime Saturday, but that doesn't get me to the show. So we rented a car and we're now driving to Hershey with the flat tire and wheel assembly. Universal will install and balance a new one and I'll put it on the car and we should be good to go.

I'm pissed as hell about the exhaust, though. The sucker was SILENT at speed, now it sounds like that hillbilly in the jacked-up pickup truck next to you in traffic. 8 hours home is gonna SUCK with this thing roaring away.

Guess I'll be fabbing up some stainless headers for it. Anyone need a set while I'm at it?

• Like 1

Welcome to the wonderful world of PA highway maintenance:(. I don't know the nature of the manifold break but maybe a "muffler bandage" would quiet things down at least until you get home. If you're not familiar it's an epoxy coated fiber glass tape that heat bonds to exhaust system breaks. holes, etc. They've worked well for me. I live on the way between Allentown and Rt 80. My shop is yours if you need it and I have no time commitments. I should be in space 196 tomorrow...................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

Guess I'll be fabbing up some stainless headers for it. Anyone need a set while I'm at it?

Matt

That is really tough luck!! I had posted on one of your earlier threads (tools & etc to take) that if there was commonality between your '41 and a '52 Roadmasrer, I might be interested.

Gary

I see I've been edited already. Yes that's the new tire and you all know where I bought it. Quality control at this company is nonexistent. That flat tire is less than 48 hours old.

Not sure how we're getting this giant car home now...

Matt,

Wow!  You've got a real run of bad luck going with tires on this trip.  

I'm watching this unfold and getting worried.  Going to take a long road trip soon and I'm starting to think the weakest link may be my tires!

The economics of it would suggest to bite the bullet and get another tire if that one is beyond repair.  

Just re-read your post and noted you are 200 miles from home base.  Find someone with a Platinum AAA card.  Those come with two 200-mile tows each year plus unlimited local tows.  And the car/person towed doesn't have to be the member.  The card member just has to be present when the tow truck arrives.

Good luck.  Hope you let us know how this works out.

Dan

Edited by 49_buick_super (see edit history)

Greetings from an abandoned truck stop in Show Shoe, PA.

If you're going anywhere on tires made by the company owned by a guy whose name sounds like Horky Hoker, I sure wouldn't drive on them. I've had an overwhelming majority of tires I've bought from them recently fail in one way or another. If there isn't a major class action suit against this company, it's only a matter of time because their quality is literally third-world and someone's going to die. I no longer feel safe driving on Hoker-made tires.

Also discovered that my AAA Platinum membership does not cover the Buick Model 90 because it's considered a commercial vehicle, so I'll be paying for the tow, provided we can find someone with the equipment to do it. Option three is abandon the car and come back for it some other day. Of course, here in Nowheresville, PA, there aren't any rental car companies.

Yes, I blame Horky Hoker's company for this. The valve stem separated from the tube because they simply glue them on. Shoddy workmanship, lousy materials (the tubes are paper-thin), and they just don't care. Their crappy equipment is going to cost me a lot of money just to get my car home, never mind back on the road. I guess I should be happy it didn't fail at speed and tear up the car, too.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Ouch!  What a run of bad luck. Especially that part about AAA calling the car commercial.  I'm surprised they even knew what a Series 90 is.

I took my '37 Buick Sports Coupe out to the Jersey Shore (Wildwood) for the Race of Gentlemen last year.  Had two flats on the way, (both driver's side front) the second in the motel parking lot.  Tires (bias ply) were 30 years old and both blew out the sidewalls.  Since the car had two side mounted spares I was OK but facing a 250 mile drive home without a spare.  Guy at the tire shop I checked (no luck - no 16 inch tires) told me to trailer it home but I decided to risk it.  Tires held out but the ignition switch failed in the parking lot as we were leaving to go home.  Hotwired it and it worked until ten miles from home, in the dark, on a steep hill.  Tried rolling backwards and popping the clutch and almost hit a telephone pole.  Finally got it working and made it home, where I replaced the ignition switch.

So I bought six new, radial, bias ply profile tires, from.... you guessed it.

Did you install your tires with or without tubes?

Car is currently up on blocks (long story) for the duration but now I wonder how long those tires are going to hold out.

As for your list, for future use, I put together a similar kit, based on an article in a 1970s era Buick Torque Tube. I would add spare heater hose and spare radiator hoses.  I also carry spare rebuilt generator, voltage regulator, water pump, fan belt hoses, and carb rebuild kit.  I have an electric fuel pump which I do not use but is installed and can be used if needed.  And because it is 6 volt, a spare Optima 6 volt battery.

Here's my '37 with its blackwall spare on the beach in Wildwood, NJ.

DSCF4441.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

...Also discovered that my AAA Platinum membership does not cover the Buick Model 90 because it's considered a commercial vehicle, so I'll be paying for the tow, provided we can find someone with the equipment to do it...

WOW!!  Do you have commercial plates on the car or is it registered to a business?

If you have it insured with one of the classic car insurers, you may have some towing reimbursement possibilities.

Dan

18 minutes ago, 49_buick_super said:

WOW!!  Do you have commercial plates on the car or is it registered to a business?

If you have it insured with one of the classic car insurers, you may have some towing reimbursement possibilities.

Dan

AAA asked what model it was, and I said, "Limited." (No point in lying, they're going to need a BIG flatbed.) The lady replied, "Is that a 90 Series?" "Yes." "I'm sorry, that qualifies as a commercial vehicle." Their database knew what it was. It's currently running a 1941 Ohio plate, so no visual tipoff that it's anything but a hobbyist-owned car and I certainly didn't mention anything beyond saying it's a big car.

I do have Hagerty, but they, too are balking at the distance and cost of the tow. I pointed out to them that I pay them more than $15,000 a year for my commercial insurance on my business and all the cars there, and they said they'd try to work something out, but that doesn't get me home. So I told them to book the flatbed, get it here, and I'll pay for whatever they don't. We'll see where the chips land. I recon they'll cover the first 50 miles and the rest are on me.

Melanie just left in a taxi cab for College Station, about 35 miles away, to go rent a car. I'm waiting for the flatbed, whose arrival is contingent on the driver finishing his dinner engagement, so it'll be late. Then 200 miles home. I may end up buying the truck driver a hotel stay tonight since he shouldn't be driving back in the middle of the night. Or maybe he'll drive out tomorrow. Either way, I'm abandoning the Buick, and I'm very unhappy about that.

And dig this: a half-mile before this exit, the car started acting up a bit, not bad, but stumbling a little--enough to get my attention but not to cripple the car. It was running a little hot, but not really hot (maybe 180, which is about 10 degrees above normal). We pulled off to find some shade and let the car cool off, which is how we ended up at this little truck stop in a place called Snow Shoe. As soon as I got out of the car, I heard the hissing tire and, perhaps more remarkably, the idle instantly smoothed out. The tire wasn't yet flat, but was on its way. The car wasn't all that hot and wasn't complaining anymore.

I'm not superstitious, I am not a God-fearing man, I don't believe in the supernatural even a little bit, but damn, was that big old car trying to get us off the highway ASAP and did it the only way it could? You decide...

• Like 2

Matt,

Speechless.  

I've enjoyed your enthusiasm for the trip with the description of your preparations and the obvious joy of the journey and now this.  And you are scaring the bejesus outta me.  :o   I'm planning a long road trip with my '49 in September and what you are experiencing now has been the major theme of my worst nightmares about what might happen.  My wife always accuses me of looking for the worst that can happen instead looking forward to a good time.  I'm gonna let her read this as a pre-trip training item.

Wish I could help ya.  Just too far away.

Dan

Matt,

I feel just TERRIBLE.  

I have read so many reviews where folks have had issues with their tires.  I recall one where the date code on the tires was so old that the buyer returned them.  Sad, Sad.

I sure wish I could be of help.  I'm so sorry you have had to go through all of this. 

THINKING of YOU and FAMILY,

Dale in Indy

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Why not just buy a tube and install that?

Where? There's absolutely nothing nearby and it's Sunday afternoon and I need to be at work tomorrow. It took almost five hours just to get a flatbed here. We had to pay $100 just for a taxi ride to a rental car company. There are no antique car tubes to be had.

Car is now on a flatbed and I'm in a rental car as Melanie drives. With luck, the car will be delivered to my shop tomorrow, maybe Tuesday. I hope. I feel like I left my dog behind.

I will be ordering a set of Diamondback Classic radials for the car tomorrow. Remarkably, they're cheaper than the POS tires from unnamed antique car tire company. I've had almost a 50% failure rate with tires from the big company and a 0% failure rate with Diamondback. I didn't intend on buying new tires this soon, but if I want to drive the car, it's the right decision. Guess I'll be keeping it after all. It's going to cost too much to sell it now.

Oh...so commercial has nothing to do with use, but size and weight most likely. 

Sorry to to hear about your troubles. We went by that neck of the woods today on the Interstate, but without the Wildcat, we had no space (I'm going to have my work cut out just to shoehorn in the '29 parts I'll be picking up in Wisconsin). We are spending the night in Port Clinton. 

What a tail of woe. So sorry tho hear of your troubles. I have been wondering about the 36 X 5 Gehrig Tires on the Chartreuse Lady for a while. They have not been made for quite some time, But I must say, They have stood the test of time. I toured with the car a lot of miles and they have performed wonderfully for there age on a 101 year old car that has been driven at least 400 to 500 miles on any given tour, They have held up. Only had to replace several tubes...Not sure on the quality but will let you know in the future of what fails when. I understand that Gehrig has been out of business for quite a while...Dandy Dave!   

Matt, I'm terribly sorry to hear about your troubles. Here are some considerations:

For the past 7 years, I have had a lot of trouble with TUBES failing, not the tires themselves.  May I suggest that you carefully examine each tire and tube to try to pinpoint the cause of failure.

My most telling experience:  In Spring 2009 I replaced all five tires (700 x 17) on my 1934 Pierce 8 (5,400 lbs) with new Bedford Famous Coach tires from a California vendor because (1) I like the historical accuracy of the tread and outer sidewall designs, and (2) I have had superb service from the 700 x 18 Bedfords on my 1930 P-A roadster.  I also bought five new tubes (Chinese-made) from the vendor, and they were suspiciously thin.  Before installing the tires with plenty of talc, I sanded and painted the inside of the wheels but did not disturb the old rim strips.  Drove to, from, and at the Pierce-Arrow Society annual meet (that year it was in Temecula, CA), a total of 1500 miles, beginning the trip with 100 miles on the new shoes.  Had the first flat in the Mojave Desert at 55-58 mph at 106*F.    Put on the spare and stopped for the night in Bakersfield.  Because I have but one spare, I found a tire dealer the following morning. The tire (casing) survived beautifully.  The new offshore tube had split along a bonded seam.  Out of necessity, we installed a 16" light truck tube (more on this shortly).  Fifty miles from home, south of San Jose, we lost a second tire at the same speed in high 80s weather.  Changed it and pressed on.  At home, found the second failure had also been a split along the bonded seam, and similarly, the casing survived very well.

I replaced ALL the $30 new 17" tubes with 16" light truck tubes at $15 each.  Those 17" wheels are drop center, meaning that rim strip size is actually 15".  Removed all old rimstrips and replaced them with wraps of PVC high-temp tape used by HVAC contractors--at the suggestion of Horky Hoker staff who sold rimstrips but not in the right 15" size.  Got the tape locally in 20-mil and 10-mil.  The bottom (flat) section of the drop center received a wrap of 20-mil PVC tape, and the shoulders got a 10-mil wrap.  No further problems after 5k miles.

Today I saw new "BFG" 33 x 5 tires (now manufactured in Vietnam, reportedly one batch every three years) on a friend's Stutz and they look like hell compared to the 20-year old same tires on my 1918 Pierce. So both repro tires and repro tubes these days have major quality control issues, IMHO.

For long tours, I carry TWO spare light truck tubes; they're cheap and easy to get installed--and I prefer tire centers that do some medium-duty truck work because they've actually seen tubes before and have talc on hand.  Of course, since I've been carrying the spares, I've had no tube failures!

So my advice is (1) use 16" LT tubes when you can, (2) determine the failure points, and (3) ensure there is nothing potentially abrasive on any surface (wheel or inside of tire casing) which will be touched by a tube.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Greetings from an abandoned truck stop in Show Shoe, PA.

If you're going anywhere on tires made by the company owned by a guy whose name sounds like Horky Hoker, I sure wouldn't drive on them. I've had an overwhelming majority of tires I've bought from them recently fail in one way or another. If there isn't a major class action suit against this company, it's only a matter of time because their quality is literally third-world and someone's going to die. I no longer feel safe driving on Hoker-made tires.

Also discovered that my AAA Platinum membership does not cover the Buick Model 90 because it's considered a commercial vehicle, so I'll be paying for the tow, provided we can find someone with the equipment to do it. Option three is abandon the car and come back for it some other day. Of course, here in Nowheresville, PA, there aren't any rental car companies.

Yes, I blame Horky Hoker's company for this. The valve stem separated from the tube because they simply glue them on. Shoddy workmanship, lousy materials (the tubes are paper-thin), and they just don't care. Their crappy equipment is going to cost me a lot of money just to get my car home, never mind back on the road. I guess I should be happy it didn't fail at speed and tear up the car, too.

I learned this about 15 years ago when they refused to warranty or even acknowledge a clearly defective, with overwhelming evidence, redline tire. In the antique motorcycle world it is fairly well known that their tires should be used for show only and not for go. Most who actually rides their antique bike more than around the block, buys something else. Their tires look great and offer period correct options usually not found anywhere else so that helps the hobby in that respect.

If there wasn't a mandatory deduction in the 400 point system for non-period correct tires, I wonder how many Buick owners would run bias? We want people to drive their cars and running reproduction bias tires is not very practical or safe on highways filled with modern automobiles.

• Like 4

I have purchased all of my antique bias ply tires from a local source, Wallace Wade tires, and have never had any problems with them.  Wallace is a great guy to work with.  He is a BCA member and advertises in the Bugle every month.  Address: 530 Regal Row, Dallas, TX 75247, Phone: (214) 688-0091.

Beautiful car, Matt

Sorry for the tire troubles.  The  "repro" problem helped decide me to go modern radials. I have never looked back.  Even in the time of bias and tubes, things like this happened. Tubes can get pinched and  creased . Therefore my cars will always use radial tubeless. Ride is better, also. 

Ben

• Like 1

Ordered a set of new Diamondback radials today. Expensive, but still cheaper than new bias-ply junk from Brand X. The flatbed is on its way, so I should have my car back by the end of the day. Need to find a place to put it where it won't be in the way, because the Diamondbacks are made to order and won't be available for a few weeks. I hope they're worth the wait.

I have zero complaints about how the car ran. It was like a freight train all the way there and on the way back as well. There was the hitch that got us off the highway, but I don't know how to explain that, but it came at exactly the right moment. The long trip did reveal that it needs new shocks all around and I'm going to go ahead and have some stainless headers made now that the manifolds are well and truly broken. Getting some heat out of the intake should only help as well, and without the exhaust manifolds bolted to the intake, that should really help. The plan is to get it 100% mechanically again and then keep it as our high-speed tour car. It's proven itself reliable, it's earned a place in my garage. It WANTS to stay with me, I can feel it.

The strange thing is, I was worried about the heat and speed working on the other 20-year-old tires, not the new one. Will report once I have the car back and can do a postmortem on the new tire/tube. Universal has already asked to have it back, and I'll gladly return the carcass. Universal has great service and lousy product--that must make them angry. I also bet that if Horky Hoker would spend a little more on quality, he'd make more money in the long run. I can't be the only one having this many failures, and they must spend a fortune on free replacement tires and tubes for everyone. Better quality up front would probably eliminate a lot of that.

Nah, who am I kidding--grab the money and run, Horky. You embarrass your father's legacy, but at least you're getting rich...

• Like 1

I just went back and read post #1. That's kind of why I make sure I have a dime in case I need a screwdriver.

It ended up that I couldn't make the Allentown trip, but I did show up at the Cadillac Club Niagara ice cream social as an interloper with my '60 Buick on Sunday. Good thing you only had the mechanical problems. I had to come back through Indian country (Seneca Res.), cross the headwaters of a river (Oak Orchard), pass through a primordial swamp (Bergen), and across an ancient glacial lake bed (Lake Iroquois muck land). And that was only 60 miles. I felt like one of the sons of the pioneers.

Those jaw breaker hits on the highway that you mentioned can really be aggravated by negative camber. Just dropping a string for a quick check is probably a good idea.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Matt,

Makes one WONDER if they are buying OLD STOCK from dealers that don't get calls for such tires anymore.

Needless to say, EVERYONE that read your posts covering these issues, FELT bad for you and the BRIDE.

There are guys out there that can make BEAUTIFUL headers, I found a guy that was making such for Indy cars, and he did a wonderful job on my complete SS 304 exhaust.  The tig welds are so small, and precise, they have been on my Limited for over 21 years, and not a single issue.  I also found a supplier that offered 30" tall tires for 17" rims, the HUGE Limited looked strange on 25" Vette tires.  Discount tire was my supplier.

Happy the Straight Eight did GOOD, no surprise there.

Wishing YOU the very best,

Dale in Indy

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)
  • Like 1