Glass Headlight Lens Casting

Old headlight lens are not always hard to find.  It's something many flea marketers have but don't have any idea what they fit, so Hershey is always a real treasure hunt.  I once bought several boxes of them and got tired of dragging them to Hershey.  Every year a couple of them would get chipped or broken, so gave up hauling them around and sold the whole lot to another dealer.   Post a picture and provide some info on what you are looking for and if it isn't available form the source above, maybe someone here on the forum can help.

Terry

The lens is for a 1934 Chrysler CY Airflow. The CY was produced in Canada and was actually A Desoto with Chrysler trim. Only 444 were produced. The headlight lens has an indentation running from top to bottom to accommodate a garnish molding. None of the headlight lens dealers have a lens for this car. Short of stumbling across this rare item, having one made using the one example I have as a mold may be the only option. I apologize that the image is upside down.

IMG_1839.JPG

The lens pictured is the right hand lens. The word "right" is cast into the lens but is hard to see with the garnish molding in place. There are allegedly prismatic differences left for right but I will rarely, if ever, drive the car at night. I have found an NOS pair of lenses for.....................................$2500!

I'm not sure why a person who has the lenses to sell would ask such a high price for them knowing there is only one chance in 444 to sell them.  If those lenses were mine to sell I would be glad to sell them to you at a more reasonable price knowing that you would probably be the only customer in the world for them.

Terry

If I were in your situation, I would make an offer on the pair, probably about 40% of the asking price. Hopefully you can get a better deal on the pair. If you can successfully purchase the pair at some price, you may find someone else who needs your existing single lens that you could sell to recoup part of your cost. I have found that most people who are asking a really high price for similar rare parts is usually willing to make a deal to move them. I recently was in the market for a single more common, yet still somewhat rare lens, and was able to buy a pair by making an offer. I made an initial offer thinking that the seller would make a counteroffer that I could live with and was happily suprised that he accepted my initial offer. 

I assume you've checked with the usual Airflow gang.  I have some contacts among them if you need any assistance let me know and I'll put you in touch.

Terry

I'm with Restorer.

Your house and $2500.00 might get you started on a set of glass molds.

Then you could sell the production parts to 3 other people.

Keep in mind, you would also need the garnish to go with the lenses, = more $$$$$$.

Mr. Anonymous, since I know who you are shed some of those big bucks and pay the price! :D  Seriously, whatever you end up paying goes under the saying "it is what it is" and before someone else needs them you might as well buy both and maybe sell the other one someday or use it if you need.  Have you ever heard this hobby can be expensive?  Almost like a room at the Ritz, huh? :D  good luck!

Agree with Steve here - now that the cat's out of the bag on how rare these are it's only a matter of time until -

the owner  sees this thread and ups the price - or

someone will snap them up and try to flp them at Hershey.  Don't be the guy wandering around listening to everyone tell you where they spotted them in the swap meet only to find the price has now doubled!

Don't make this mistake of thinking all this PR this will shake a few more out of the barn anytime soon.

Terry

Guest John Heimerl

I can assure you that these are very, very scarce as they were basically one-year Canadian production of one-off lenses used in Airflow prototypes.

You can convert your lamp assemblies to American SE DeSoto Airflow for a lot less but then you have reduced the value of the very rare CY.

My counsel: make the deal. You will not only fix your current problem, but you will be ready for a stone to take the other one out.

If it is simply not affordable, one of the members of the Airflow Club will have the SE lamps and lenses, and you'll probably spend under $500. Casting a new one? As others have indicated, unaffordable. J