4 Cylinder Air Cooled ID Please

DHDorholt

i know little about Franklins, but every one that I've ever seen had individual cylinders bolted to a crankcase. Also, this engine seems awfully late to be a Franklin. Weren't they all 6 or 12 cylinders by the time that style of air shrouding came into being?

Carl, you're correct about the Franklin engines.  The "top blower" engines appear with the series 10B in mid 1922. The 'top blowers" continue through 1929. The side-draft engines appear in 1930.  All of these were 6 cylinder with the exception of the V12s which appear in 1932. Dave

Dyke's 18th Ed. 1930 has a drawing a bit like that and says was formerly used years ago on a prominent make of car. Later it talks of the Franklin 6 cyl. and says another make of air cooled car is a Holmes.

Note exposed valve gear = just pre- or during WWI? Electric starter too.

Someone I know found it and the guy who as it says it's Franklin, I know is not Franklin.

He can't find any make on it. It does have a Autolite dist and starter. Warner transmission.

I hope to see the engine for my self within a month.

DHDorholt;

When it comes to weird/unusual engines, the Florida Flywheelers may be able to help.  The link to their website:  http://www.floridaflywheelers.org/

I see that you're in Minnesota, but the Florida Flywheelers membership include folks from all over the country, and I'll bet that a few of them reside in your neck of the woods.  There are also other antique engine clubs that may be able to help.

Good luck,

Grog

5 hours ago, 32plywood said:

Fox-Air-Cooled-Engine.jpg

That's not it ... in my opinion.  The cooling shroud on the O.P.'s engine is different, and his engine is a 4 cylinder.  The engine shown in your post appears to be a 6 cylinder.  Also, the O.P.'s engine has its spark plugs on the left side etc., etc.  I've looked all over the internet and have not been able to find something that appears to be the O.P.'s engine; however, the Fox engine shown in your post looks pretty close ... just "no cigar".

That Fox air-cooled engine shown in your post is interesting looking.  I wonder when they were built and what sort of equipment they powered.

Cheers,

Grog