Time spent in the garage

RivNut

Larry,

I don't own any cars that I personally work on that have any metric nuts / bolts on them.  Does 15mm convert to something standard?

I use metrics all the time on my fitty fo's. In fact if my math is correct,  that 15 mm above should fit a 19/32,  or in other words a  VGA 5/8"....   VGA = Vice Grip Altered

If you're like me, you need them in assorted sizes and weights.  Doesn't everyone follow the old adage "if it won't budge, get a bigger hammer."?

On the metric cars a 500 gram hammer works well. A 1K can do some damage, but swinging a 5 kilo around is pretty close to the limit. Of course, wrenches to hammers, that's a different metric.

Moving to metric since 1972.

Bernie

I spend a lot of time in my garage/shop.

Bride of 55 plus years is very understanding. She is a book reader, nearly a book a day, so she understands ENJOYMENT.

Six months ago yesterday I began my most involved arty piece. It is a 1-5 scale model of a 1927 Miller Indy car. Thirty inches long, solid walnut and copper. I'm well over 600 hours into this build, with another 200 plus to go. Mine is fitted with a BUICK STRAIGHT EIGHT, tranny, drive shaft, and rear pumpkin. Hood swings open, and will sit/rest on a 48" long wooden/board track section like some ran on in the 20's.

I call mine the SPLINTER SPECIAL. Most wood tracks burnt down, (GOOGLE images of wood/board tracks) to view a few.

Garage/shop time IS MY LIFE, other than family.

XP-300 is the only one on this site to see my build pic's. I will post sometime in May pictures of it, now back to my SHOP, hehe.

Dad was with Buick for nearly 60 years, I'm sure he is WATCHING, and enjoying.

Dale in Indy

• Like 2

Hammers can make for wider fingertips . . . and an unplanned expelling of CO2 in the form of "words".

On the sizes of wrenches which Bill mentioned above, at one time, I found that using a "line wrench" version would work better when the fastener seeking to be untorqued was a little too rounded and unyielding.

Everybody has their own "tricks" that work for them . . .

Happy New Year!

NTX5467