100 YEAR OLD VEHICLE AWARD IN BCA

Terry Wiegand

Just my personal observation but I can see why there might have been some heartburn with some of the text of the original motion. Rather than voting it down, it would have made much more sense for the board to have amended the motion to something that they were happy with and passing it. If I were on the board, I would have thought it best to amend the motion to do away with the certficate and with the part of the original motion indicating that there was to be a "small attachment for future appearances".

I think that BCA should have a Century Old Vehicle Award similar to that of AACA and HCCA. BCA should be doing at least as much as the other two clubs to recognize the importance of that milestone. I don't think there is any need for a certificate, there should not be a need to add any attachment... It should be a simple one time award to recognize a 100 year old vehicle that participates in a BCA event.

The added benefit of this sort of award is that it functions as a marketing tool for BCA. When a potential member who may not know about the club is admiring the car at any other event, they learn about the existence of the club. That is another reason why these types of awards are displayed on antique cars. 

• Like 2

In the comments expressed so far, it appears to me that the focus of this potential award shifted from the intended recipient ( the car) to the owner.

Much like when the Buick Division turned 100, and GM turned 100, and most every citizen who  turns 100, the celebration is about the individual entity. In this case it should be the same.  It should be about the car which, through the help of lots of people, survived and is now 100 years old.

Personally, I think celebrating the 100th birthday of the vehicle is in the best interest of the BCA.  A plaque, similar in size to the driven award, presented on the field, in a drive through format, by the highest level board member present at the meet, is my desire.  All this should be is an award to the vehicle for making it, on this side of the dirt, for 100 years, no matter how or who got it to this point.  And that plaque should be from the BCA if we value the heritage of this club.

What he said ^

John, I realize the original proposal was amended once already prior to vote, but what is the possibility of another amendment or possibly a new proposal being put before the board which would contain some of what has been learned here and possibly better understanding of the proposal by the board members.

Even Mr. DePouli voted no and I believe he was a PW Buick fan and owner

Not that it makes a lot of difference but let's make sure you correctly report the vote.

Mr. DePouli did not vote No.  He Abstained from voting. That is not really the same as a No vote.

Matthew

Thank you for correcting me.  He abstained and did not vote no.   Semantics?

Yea semantics, apparently your idea of the main purpose of internet forums. Just like I am ABSTAINING  from removing referenced post as it has no constructive or beneficial value as I had just asked for. What part of that did you not understand Jake? And I have read your next post and will be removing it as soon I am finished here as it too is off subject and of no importance here. And with that you can change your signature to 556 warning points.

edit) just kidding about the points of course as they are apparently your self assessed points... and I will say some/most of your previous posts and comments have merit and have been welcomed. Just trying to keep you on a positive track here Jake.

Edited by MrEarl
add 2nd thoughts (see edit history)

Imperial62, surely there is something in the BCA By Laws that would address the correctness of that - it is certainly a highly irregular practice.

So, where is everyone on what type of motion needs made?  I certainly think that the 100 year old Vehicle needs a grill badge permanently attached same as AACA and other national award plaques, then a certificate to the owner.

As far as an earlier comment from Imperial62  "MrNova - if other groups feel slighted then by all means they should petition for some Bugle "time" but keep in mind that many of those groups already provide members with newsletters or periodicals.   That is what is missing from the PWD.  Members of the BCA overwhelmingly let it be known not to mess with the Bugle.  For many members, the Bugle is the only reason they are a member - or a primary reason."

Other divisions seem to make their own way and some seem to have become very active - like Chapters and other clubs, if the interest is not there from the members of a particular division then it's may be of best interest for them to fold - how long has this division been trying to get a footing?  Divisions and chapters are not of the making of a national organization but that of members that hold an interest in a particular item - again, if the interest isn't there then........

Imperial62, surely there is something in the BCA By Laws that would address the correctness of that - it is certainly a highly irregular practice.

It does not appear in the copy of the Bylaws that I have, which I received last year from the BCA Office.

There is one issue regarding non elected individuals voting as a board member covered by the BCA Standard Operating Procedures which I received at the same time. 

"PROCEDURE No. 24

Subject: BCA Chief Judge - Voting Rights

Authorization: Approved by the Board of Directors June 19, 2004

Procedure: The BCA Chief Judge shall have a vote (as though a Board member) on any motion to be voted upon by the BCA National Board, which motion involves a matter(s) related to judging, awards and/or the judging system."

When I received these documents from the BCA office here was the text of their email:

"Hi Matt....We saw your post on the BCA Forum concerning the BCA ByLaws, and wanted to comment. As John mentioned on the Forum, we did not include them in the new Roster because we are in the process of updating and revising several areas. We hope to publish the changes in the Bugle for the membership's approval very soon, and once final approval is given, we'll mail them along with the Bugle to all of the members. The attachment contains old the BCA Rules & Regulations, the BCA ByLaws, and the BCA Standard Operating Procedures. Should you have any questions, please contact us.
Thanks!"

I don't recall receiving a more recent version of these documents. Has anybody else received a more current version?

Total cost of this program, with a grille badge, is estimated at about $1500 or so for the first 100 badges, including design, mold, and badges themselves.  That should last at least 10, possibly 15 years or more.

There was not a lot of discussion, but it did seem to center around it being seen as a "participation" award.  Also, there were concerns that it would cause judging issues, but it shouldn't if implemented in the way most have suggested here. We could even make someone the "Centennial Award Chairman", who would handle everything at the meet, similar to the Driven Class Chairman. There were also concerns of "minimum standards" to ensure the cars were of a certain originality. I personally would not be too picky on this, but the car should be "substantially" period Buick, with allowances made for safety and drivability, subject to the Chairman's "certification".

I would be interested in seeing pictures of the AACA and HCCA centennial awards.

It has been suggested that this be done separately using a "sponsor" or by the PWD. I agree that could be an option, but for the award to carry the weight and pride that it should, I believe the BOD needs to implement it in order to show their support and that the BCA is behind the award.

Just my $.02.

I hope the Board decides to take this issue up again soon.

• Like 3

Total cost of this program, with a grille badge, is estimated at about $1500 or so for the first 100 badges, including design, mold, and badges themselves.  That should last at least 10, possibly 15 years or more.

I would be interested in seeing pictures of the AACA and HCCA centennial awards.

It has been suggested that this be done separately using a "sponsor" or by the PWD. I agree that could be an option, but for the award to carry the weight and pride that it should, I believe the BOD needs to implement it in order to show their support and that the BCA is behind the award.

Brian,

Here you go.

AACA                                  HCCA                                  Flint Sloan Fall Show                   Buick Club of America

• post-87831-0-32096000-1445478244_thumb.jpost-87831-0-25253300-1445478222_thumb.jpost-87831-0-14137900-1445478666_thumb.jpost-87831-0-11525400-1445478685_thumb.j

Also, giving a person that brings a 100 year vehicle an even $20.00 medallion is what percentage of a possible 10 year revenue stream of dues is how much??  And we are going to lose members for the slight compared to other clubs???

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Would it need to be a molded award?  I see nothing cheap or wrong with the screen print on brass similar to the AACA Jr/Sr/Archieval ones.  That should be substantially cheaper to make and still give a nice presentation.  

Edited by MrNova (see edit history)

When our neighbor turned 100 she got a letter from the President of the United States and it was a nice personal memento. This idea of an award for bringing one of the current 148 eligible cars to a meet seems to be bogged in by-laws, award regulations, and the like. Then the cars has to get to the show and be deemed in acceptable condition. Owning the car, registering it on the roster, and being the owner of record is three hoops to go through. I would suggest the a testimonial certificate of for centenarian vehicles be mailed to the recorded owners listed now and each year as the age is attained. It is a good enough gesture for the President of the US. The owners recognized manually can be mentioned as a group at the Nationals banquet.

If a medallion award for show participation is determined appropriate for events that can be worked out for the percentage of cars capable of making it.

I would be willing to bear the expense of the initial printing and mailing of such a testimonial certificate to the existing ~150 eligible owners and the annual requirements until 2048 if the board finds the gesture appropriate.

Bernie

• Like 4

With automotive turnover, how could you be sure the "listed" car was even still in the possession of that listed owner, that would be a waste of money sending awards blindly to names in a roster - I am sure there are also many of these cars owned by members that are not listed, many owners don't really care to list their cars in such rosters.  It's not like a roster is absolutely current info like the government has with sending SS checks to 100 year olds. 

The first thing that occurs to me is whether we would need a nice medallion. To my mind, a nice certificate would suffice...up here where we get winter, I have a lot of such memorabilia in a Buick basement. Granted, some sort of grill badge displayed on the car lets others know it is at least 100 years old. If cost is an issue, at each National, we have a registration list and the registrar has a printer - nice certificate paper and a few moments and it's done. My preference, for the 2-5 cars in this area that typically attend a National, that their current stewards be recognized at the banquet. We spend a pile of time recognizing others for a variety of things...perhaps this could replace that.

Regarding the PWD generally, perhaps some of the issue is that the owners may tend to be older and less computer literate / Internet savvy. If that is the case, an electronic newsletter may not be the best way to reach them. I know I struggled to keep up with the content back in the day and I wanted to read that...just a bit of an overload and various priorities pulling me in different directions.

Some time ago, an analysis was done on the roster (seems to me it may have been Barney Eaton, but not certain). If memory serves, 1938 and 1941 were the years with the highest number of BCA registered cars in the roster - both are pre-war.

In the interests of the club, while we are democratic in nature, what is right isn't necessarily about the majority. For instance, most of the Divisions would cover considerably less than a majority of the membership yet approving them under the BCA umbrella is generally the right thing to do..

I think the idea of recognizing 100 year old Buicks is a good idea and I hope we are able to determine a reasonable way of making that happen.

• Like 2

When our neighbor turned 100 she got a letter from the President of the United States and it was a nice personal memento. This idea of an award for bringing one of the current 148 eligible cars to a meet seems to be bogged in by-laws, award regulations, and the like. Then the cars has to get to the show and be deemed in acceptable condition. Owning the car, registering it on the roster, and being the owner of record is three hoops to go through. I would suggest the a testimonial certificate of for centenarian vehicles be mailed to the recorded owners listed now and each year as the age is attained. It is a good enough gesture for the President of the US. The owners recognized manually can be mentioned as a group at the Nationals banquet.

If a medallion award for show participation is determined appropriate for events that can be worked out for the percentage of cars capable of making it.

I would be willing to bear the expense of the initial printing and mailing of such a testimonial certificate to the existing ~150 eligible owners and the annual requirements until 2048 if the board finds the gesture appropriate.

Bernie

With automotive turnover, how could you be sure the "listed" car was even still in the possession of that listed owner, that would be a waste of money sending awards blindly to names in a roster - I am sure there are also many of these cars owned by members that are not listed, many owners don't really care to list their cars in such rosters.  It's not like a roster is absolutely current info like the government has with sending SS checks to 100 year olds. 

Thanks Bernie!  Actually, there is already a volunteer and sponsor for exactly what you are proposing, although I am sure that person wouldn't turn down a little help.  I'd be happy to put you two together.

However, Kyle has a very good point.  The roster is often VERY out of date. If the email addresses and phone numbers are any clue, then the cars listed might also be very far off.  In fact, I just checked mine and one car is incorrect and the home phone is mostly obsolete.  At this point, we might just be throwing money away sending certificates without verifying they still own the car first. Maybe someone receiving a certificate would encourage others to keep their info up to date? 

I have been asked by others who have participated in this thread subject to express my thoughts. First. Knowing what it takes to present a 100 year old car at a gathering (notice I did not say show) some form of recognition is warranted.

Second. My love for antique cars was begun in the early 1960s. At the time the cars that were considered "antique" were usually pre-war (WW I that is). Brass era cars were always a delight for me to see. My likes have not changed. The only reason I do not own a 100 year old car was I could never find one affordable in any condition. Yes I could of had Model T Fords but my heart belonged to Buick. Only recently has their been any opportunity for me to be able to acquire one. My reason now is that the Brass era tour groups seem to have much more fun on their outings. I wanted a car to drive, not a stage for a trophy. But a recognition for the preservation, upkeep and driving of a century old vehicle is quite a badge of honor.

Third, On joining the BCA. I did buy my 1937 Buick in 1987 as an affordable place holder until the time when I could find an older car. I was pleased to find an organization who would help with getting the car back on the road. The 1937-38 Buick Club, being very specific to my needs. One catch. I had to belong to this even more expensive national club, the BCA. Tough on a first year teachers salary. But I joined the BCA hoping for some benefit. For many years there was very little to peak my interest in the old Bugle as to my 1937s needs let alone earlier Buicks. Only since Pete Philips has been involved with the Bugle have there been any occasional  information or articles to keep me interested. I do realize the Bugle must support interests of all Buick collectors. After being a casual observer for 25 years (life happens) I was finally able to attend a National at Danvers in 2011. We really wanted to get involved.  (My wife and I were thinking about dropping out of the BCA after that experience). But we joined the local chapter and have done 4 more nationals. Realizing that if you wish to receive from the organization one must contribute. I believe that the Buick people we have met along the way since then have restored our faith. To me it has been about the friendships we have made.     Mostly positive thoughts so far.

Fourth. As the director of the local Mason-Dixon chapter I many times have to justify my insistence on driving my 78 and 90 year old Buicks to our membership. Read that as "you drove that where? You must be crazy" !!! So I also know about keeping an older vehicle on the road. I never expected to receive awards on my "drivers". My first phone conversation as chapter director was with a person who wanted to bring a car (1982 Rivera) to our yearly car show. His question? How big will the trophies be?  That mentality has somewhat jaded me as to what I felt the hobby should be. Just try to get a group of chapter members out for a local 80 mile round trip. "I can't do that in my antique, after all it is a 1980!!" I have not gotten my AACA Senior yet! "So I do have a bit of a problem with trophy seekers. Yet I do feel if one makes the effort to bring /drive their early car, they should have recognition. My feeling is that I don't believe we will get more people to bring their 100 year old cars to BCA events for the sake of a badge. Having said that, a 100 year badge would go far to make these owners feel more welcome. To me, that has been at the core of the issue. Feeling welcome. The BCA has not been all that welcoming as of late for us pre-war people.

Lastly. As a steadfast supporter of the BCA for over 28 years(except when we wavered a bit in 2011) I have tried to talk up the organization whenever I can. Also as a Chapter director it is my obligation to serve and increase the membership. I have already fielded concerns with those in my local who indicated that if the Allentown celebration does not fulfill it's promise they will be leaving the organization.  Having stated my reasons for joining the BCA, (and now being somewhat dissatisfied with the turn of events that the BOD has instigated) if there was another way I could connect with other like minded early vintage Buick people I would ........ Oh wait!. Here we are.....

• Like 7

As some of the earlier Buicks didn't really have a "grille", configuring the "grille badges" to also be attached to a somewhat flat surface might be good to do.

I really feel that whatever is presented to the owner/vehicle should be more than "just a piece of paper done-up in a quality printer", but more along the lines of a nice grille badge (for the car) AND a matching plaque that can be placed (if desired) on the wall of the owner's residence.  The basic design might be the BCA Logo with "100 Year Old Buick" along the bottom of the badge.  A larger logo could be on the plaque, with a "Presented to . . .",  model year and model of the Buick, and the then-owner's name on an engraved plate.  If the owner was not present with the car, then a "Shown by . . . " line could list the person who displayed the car at the national meet for the owner.  Maybe even some coffee cups with the "BCA 100+ Year Old Buick" logo, too??  (1 with the basic award and another one could be purchased, as desired . . . but ONLY for those who'd received the award)

Whatever is done, needs to have sufficient perceived VALUE to motivate other similar owners to bring THEIR 100+ Year Old Buicks to the national meets AND know that their presence at the meet(s) is desired AND appreciated.  Just as we now award a Senior Award and then additional awards for the later years the car remains a "Senior" award recipient, we could add a year plate to the basic plaque too.​

Just some thoughts . . .

Willis Bell  20811

(When I wrote this, I was unaware of Larry's post.)

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

Larry,

Thanks for your commentts which I find were well thought out. And thank you also, Willis.  My thought is to not overthink this with a lot of extra work required to track the winners.  Let's keep this a simple thing.  I hope to clarify my thoughts ovr this next weekend and provide some additional comments.

John

Edited by jscheib (see edit history)

Look,

This is not that hard.  If the board of directors want to approve some money.

I will volunteer to get a concours quality badge done that would be befitting of a milestone vehicle of a marquis organization

This would be for less that $25.00 depending on volume by one of the best in the business that makes them for many of the coucours events in the country. 

Here is a sample of some of the ones that he has made. 

The AACA small emblem that MrNova suggests is about a $1.00 to maybe $1.50 item and NOT REPRESENTATIVE of a milestone event.

PS: My numbers are accurate!

post-87831-0-96671300-1446171306_thumb.j

• Like 1

Great comments Larry D.

May I add that Larry and his wife were in mid Michigan this summer for a wedding and did not hesitate to stop by for an nice visit.  That's what happens when you meet nice people in the BCA, in this case, PWD fellow Tourists.

And speaking of Larrys.  I bet Larry S. and I chat at least once a week on the phone and see each other monthly.  You may recall we went east together to fetch the Flint Wagon Works Wagon, visiting another BCA (legend) Dandy Dave who found it.

• Like 1

Gee, A legend I Be. :D Thanks for the Compliment. Sounds like something may come together on this yet. Now to loose the guys in the white coats.. :P Dandy Dave!

Great comments Larry D.

May I add that Larry and his wife were in mid Michigan this summer for a wedding and did not hesitate to stop by for an nice visit.  That's what happens when you meet nice people in the BCA, in this case, PWD fellow Tourists.

And speaking of Larrys.  I bet Larry S. and I chat at least once a week on the phone and see each other monthly.  You may recall we went east together to fetch the Flint Wagon Works Wagon, visiting another BCA (legend) Dandy Dave who found it.

• 3 months later...

Bernie

Thanks Bernie!  Actually, there is already a volunteer and sponsor for exactly what you are proposing, although I am sure that person wouldn't turn down a little help.  I'd be happy to put you two together.

Look,

This is not that hard.  If the board of directors want to approve some money.

I will volunteer to get a concours quality badge done that would be befitting of a milestone vehicle of a marquis organization

This would be for less that $25.00 depending on volume by one of the best in the business that makes them for many of the coucours events in the country. 

Here is a sample of some of the ones that he has made. 

The AACA small emblem that MrNova suggests is about a $1.00 to maybe $1.50 item and NOT REPRESENTATIVE of a milestone event.

PS: My numbers are accurate!

Considering the above number of volunteers for handling the leg work and even the expenses of doing this, why can't it happen and happen with the full support and backing of the BCA Board of Directors. The PWD should not have to be even considering doing this on their own. While I don't own any Buicks even close to ever receiving such an award, I fully appreciate the history of these great automobiles and the fact one is still around after 100 years and the owner continues to maintain and keep it up, and in my mind deserves and merits an award.  After all how many of us expect to be around for 100 years. I know if I am, I hope somebody bakes me a big cake. 

Keep it simple, if a 100 year old Buick is shown at a National event they are presented a "100 YEAR OLD VEHICLE" award in the way of a nice badge at the awards ceremony.

Hopefully a board member will bring us up to date here as to if there has been any further proposals/votes or even discussion about the matter. Come on BOD I think you are missing a big opportunity here to show support for the old wood wheel class and if the PWD ends up going it on their own, in my opinion it's gonna be rather divisive, and the BCA doesn't need that.

• Like 7

There is a certain irony that the club can spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars each year for trophies and plaques for the  judged vehicles but not spend about $25.00 for a one time event when a vehicle turns 100 years old. 

Am I missing something????

And the club financal statements are on line because it is a non-profit.  There is more than enough money for this small allocation.

If any one wants copies of past financial statements to show my point, let me know and I will look them up on line and send you the link.

• Like 3

Terry, Larry, Bernie and whomever else should get together and:

1, Design a medallion, plaque or whatever they would like to hand out.

2, Come up with a budget.

3, Have a proposal on how it will be implemented and tracked.

4, Submit to the BCA board for approval.

This isn't rocket science.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Terry, Larry, Bernie and whomever else should get together and:

1, Design a medallion, plaque or whatever they would like to hand out.

2, Come up with a budget.

3, Have a proposal on how it will be implemented and tracked.

4, Submit to the BCA board for approval.

This isn't rocket science.

This has already been done.  Let's ask who on the board does not support this recognition??

• Like 2

Larry, if the BCA board does not see fit to present a 100 year award to those attending the meet, maybe the BHA would do the honors at their Friday night gala, and even invite the owners of the 100 year cars to attend (a little incentive to get  those early Buicks out and to the meet).  It takes a lot of work and dedication to keep those old Buicks running, and the owners that make this effort should be recognized.  What better time to start this then at the BCA's 50th Anniversary Meet!   :D

• Like 3