Papa John's Camaro Stolen in Detroit area

R Walling

I guess the car was too hot. It was found Monday in Detroit.

I hope the scum thieves didn't trash it.  This is the Z-28 that "Papa John" sold to finance the opening of his first pizzeria, and when he became rich and famous, he spent a lot of time and money tracking it down and buying it back.

I hate thieves,

Grog

Glad it was found.  At the same time, have to wonder why people even bother going to the Woodward, or how long they shall continue to do so?  This is just one of many thefts that occur there annually?  Heck, the bad guys have been known to take trailered cars, trailer and all!

Guest AlCapone

I've heard that other social media suspects that this was just a publicity stunt. No such thing as bad publicity. Ah-o-no, I'm just sayin.

Where did you read that ? Wayne

I've heard that other social media suspects that this was just a publicity stunt. No such thing as bad publicity. Ah-o-no, I'm just sayin.

"Social media".  Now there's a really responsible and reliable NEWS source!  "Social media" are whatever you and your "friends" want it to be.  Crikey!!!!!!

Stand by while I spoof tweet a couple of thousand,

Grog

That's frustrating for me to hear. I specifically asked the gentleman attending the car during the Dream Cruise if it was the actual car. He told me the whole story, as if I've never heard about it before, and he never said it was a replica.

• Like 1

Kind of thinking about it......but how many people who have a car stolen and have it recovered? not once but twice the same car?  Not saying but does smell like some anchovies to go on the pizza

That's frustrating for me to hear. I specifically asked the gentleman attending the car during the Dream Cruise if it was the actual car. He told me the whole story, as if I've never heard about it before, and he never said it was a replica.

That's funny West because it annoyed me that they were making such a big deal over a replica.  I really don't like replicas!

Again? Wasn't it stolen decades ago and he was recently reunited with it? He needs to park his car more securely, methinks.

'Papa John' Schnatter sold his 1971 Z-28 Camaro in 1983 to save his father's business from bankruptcy and to provide funding for his pizza business.  After an extensive search, he found, and reacquired the Camaro in August of 2009, reportedly dishing out a $25,000 finder's fee and $250,000 to buy the car itself.  If the Camaro in question was stolen "decades ago", it was not while Schnatter owned it.

Here's a link to the Camaro's story, if anyone is interested:  http://ir.papajohns.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=404954

If it was a publicity stunt, as implied by the 'social media', then someone will be up for some charges involving false police reports etc., since it is apparent that local police resources were involved in the investigation/recovery. 

As to the stolen Papa John's Camaro being a replica, I've encountered contradictory information on Google concerning its replica status; however, if a car being shown at a car show is a replica, then it should be displayed as such.

Just my opinion,

Grog

I guess you and I differ in that respect, Bob. The car is meaningful to the person who owns it. I was sincerely curious as to knowing if that was THE car that the Papa Johns owner found. THE car that he owned when he was 16 years old. Not a facsimile. No, it's not a Mercer or a Stutz or a Duesenberg, or even a Packard, but it had a neat story ... and when I was told that story, I wanted to know that the car I was looking at was the car in the story.

The car is meaningful to the person who owns it.

Indeed.

Which is kinda why I'm wondering about the other 2 that were stolen during the same timeframe?  Sure hope they're found, too!

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"I hope we live to tell the tale" __ Tears For Fears __ 'Shout'

With upwards of 40,000 cars at this event it seems as though thieves are looking for opportunity.  You can't be too safe with your rig. A truck/trailer combo was stolen from a hotel parking lot near me during last year's WDC, I live 8 miles from Woodward, in a relatively "safe" area.  

Cars can be stolen anywhere, even in 'good neighborhoods but there sure is more to the story than what is being reported. 

According to the news article, the address where the truck & trailer were stolen was 960 E. Woodbridge but neglects to indicate that is DOWNTOWN DETROIT.  That is just at least a dozen miles from the southernmost limit of the Dream Cruise.  

Google map the address & then select Satellite View to see the 'hood:   https://www.google.com/maps/place/960+Woodbridge+St,+Detroit,+MI+48207/@42.3312009,-83.0382464,18z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x883b2cd7ce4f2907:0xed5a92d5ed066124

The Ren Cen is nearby and also a couple lesser motels but why if it was such a valuable and replaceable car (sic) was it parked here in a dark, desolate, deserted area?  Because its not the real car; the one he sold to save his dad's pizza parlor.  Its one of two replicas that tour the country while the real car is secure in Louisville. 

I too immediately suspected 'publicity stunt' when heard about the incident.  Cheap hit @ Detroit. 

The other cars that were stolen?  Yeah, it happens everywhere.  Especially like someone said, with 40,000 vintage, classics, hot rods, specialty, etc. vehicles who's going to notice another red Vette and another black Chevelle? 

Edited by CarFreak (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Kind of thinking about it......but how many people who have a car stolen and have it recovered? not once but twice the same car?  Not saying but does smell like some anchovies to go on the pizza

FWIW, our '65 Coronet was stolen three times and we got it back.  The first time it was stolen it was repainted and used as a taxi; we found it and the insurance company painted it back to normal.

Strange story. Was the Car stolen along with the truck and trailer. If so, the pictures  showing the car at an abandon house on the west side of Detroit on Pierson street. That car wouldn't last 5 minutes in the open in that area. My 1st gas station that I bought called (Dave's Auto) in 84 was close to that area. It was bad back then. Is a strange story. 

post-121135-0-79470900-1440269754_thumb.