Up for a challange? Metz

Guest AlCapone
My nephew is 16, would that be a good starter car for him to learn on?[/quote

In my opinion, no, the work is so extensive and the money required is so significant I would discourage this project for a first timer. Wayne

Great opportunity for someone who really knows Metz' inside and out. I might have advertised it as "partially restored, most disassembly work already completed".

I once served as an expert witness for a resto shop in a jury trial. The shop had disassembled a customer's car, done some restoration work on parts of it and then gone out of business. I tried to convince the jury that in its disassembled state the plaintiff's car was closer to being restored, and therefore more valuable, than it was before it was taken apart. The jury didn't buy it of course. I wouldn't have testified at all in the shop's defense but at that time a large percentage of my income came thru that shop in the form of sub contract work.

Great opportunity for someone who really knows Metz' inside and out. I might have advertised it as "partially restored, most disassembly work already completed".

I once served as an expert witness for a resto shop in a jury trial. The shop had disassembled a customer's car, done some restoration work on parts of it and then gone out of business. I tried to convince the jury that in its disassembled state the plaintiff's car was closer to being restored, and therefore more valuable, than it was before it was taken apart. The jury didn't buy it of course. I wouldn't have testified at all in the shop's defense but at that time a large percentage of my income came thru that shop in the form of sub contract work.

Funny, I see for sale ads all the time that make the same argument. Along with the ones that think scrapping the rare original engine, suspension etc and replacing them with Chev pickup parts you can pick up in any junkyard is an improvement.

If that were a 1908 Locomobile I'd be all over it. Virtually all cars of that vintage are very simple machines and any reasonably clever mechanic ought to be able to figure out how it goes together. Its the fact that in its current state its impossible to tell what might be missing, and that in any condition the Metz will never be a particularly valuable car, that is a serious drawback. I'm well into a similar project right now. It isn't for everyone and certainly not for those whose goal is to "turn heads" at the local cruise night. I'll probably be on it for another 5 years or more, but to someone with real skills, a limited budget and an appreciation for how machines work it could be a worthwhile undertaking.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

There are a lot of projects like this, finished car doesn't have the value equal to the time required to rebuild it. Bob

Bob

Fortunately there are a lot of people who disagree. I, for one.

For many, many hobbyists, the "value" is in doing the restoration. Time and cost is secondary.

A trip to the hardware store and a few hours time can easily double the money.

I'd do it if I was closer. One of the pictures kind of looked like parts from one of the very rare and discontinued New York Metz. That would be a big online selling point.

Bernie

I once reassembled a Silver Ghost in similar condition, albeit not as rusty. It came on 2 trailers and in approximately 18 boxes. It was impossible to tell if everything was there, but the only things I was really concerned about were the major castings and engine parts. I had it running in about 6 or 8 months, working about 5 or 6 hours a day. I would not have considered myself a SG expert when I started, but by the time I was done I may have qualified as one. In any case, on the basis of that job, I was later asked to work on half a dozen more ghosts so it was certainly a worthwhile experience.

I very much agree with West on this. For me the challenge is everything. I'm largely uninterested in showing cars, at least to the general public. This isn't one I'd go for but the condition has nothing to do with that. For all the talk about how many such failed projects are out there, I looked for a long time for a medium to big brass car in this condition that I could afford and ultimately had to settle for what I could get, not what I really would have liked to own.

Here's the engine I started with...

IMG_0017a.jpg

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

That Metz is good for Flat Landers. The friction drive is, lets say, "a little slippery" on the hills we have around here. Agree that it will never be a big dollar car, but would be worth the money just for the fun of bolting it back together. Have at it fellows. Not in my future. Dandy Dave!

A trip to the hardware store and a few hours time can easily double the money.

I'd do it if I was closer. One of the pictures kind of looked like parts from one of the very rare and discontinued New York Metz. That would be a big online selling point.

Bernie

Say Burnie, This will bring back some memories... Meet the Mets..The New Your ones.