Sign in to follow this  
X-Frame

Motor Trend Magazine - junk?

I've owned 2 Vega's guys, both brought brand new. They were both GT's, 4 speeds, racing stripes, etc., and were fun to drive. I traded the '72 in on a '74 SS Nova, had a bad accident, and had to replace it, as the wife needed something decent to drive to work. So, we traded the wrecked Nova for a new 1974 Vega. I kept neither car more than 2 years so they were as perfect when I sold them as when I bought them. I keep thinking back to those days of buying news cars every couple of years in my youth, though. Gosh, kids today could never afford to do that. I wonder what happened, for another day's discussion I guess.

At any rate, I moved up to a 1976 Cutlass after the Vega phase and have never looked back. Oh, and I don't buy new cars anymore either. Spending my retirement on new automobiles these days just seems ridiculous to me????

I am glad my post has brought some interest and a great dialogue about various publications.

There has been some talk about how back in the 1970s they were import bias yet American cars started to loose their way in the 1980s as they went to FWD, changed more to unibody designs using cheap methods of construction, and downsized.

But at the same time do people recall how when Honda Civic, one of the first modern era import that took off in America, were often labeled as “Rice Burners” because they were Japanese? That WWII was still fresh in some people's minds since it was less than 30 years past then? They were boycotted by older buyers who stressed “American Made All the Way”.

Edited by X-Frame (see edit history)

To get this thread back on track, one further indication of the state of Motor Trend.

First, a little background. I dropped my MT subscription in the early 1980s. A few months ago, when Petersen-EMAP-Primedia-SourceInterlink-TEN Publishing killed Rod and Custom, they credited my remaining two years of subscription to a Motor Trend subscription. I got a couple of issues before I got that changed to simply extending my Street Rodder subscription (why would an R&C reader want MT???). In any case, I also got on their email list and get weekly MT update emails. A few moments ago, the latest one hit my inbox. One of the hard-hitting feature stories included was "15 Cars with the Most Beautiful Lights".

'Nuf said...

Most beautiful lights?!? MEH! I can't stand any of those new lights. They blind me so badly as they approach me at night that I'm forced to look to the fog line. I feel one of these days these so call "beautifail" lights will cause me to run off the road or plow right into them. So much for safety.

At any rate, I moved up to a 1976 Cutlass after the Vega phase and have never looked back.

You know, when I talked with my Hurst/Olds's original selling dealer in Kinston NC, found that the guy who bought it new had traded in a 1972 Vega GT on it.

The Vega's lot was cast very much like the Olds/GM passenger car Diesel. By the time the bugs had been worked out and they became fairly reliable, the earlier reputation had doomed them, and the magazine's must shoulder their share of blame for damning them.

I don't know many kids today who can afford to buy any type of new car. The cars aimed at the youth market tend to be priced out of that market's price range. I can remember when any teenager pumping gas or bagging groceries could buy and insure a new car and sometimes even a musclecar.

Most beautiful lights?!? MEH! I can't stand any of those new lights. They blind me so badly as they approach me at night that I'm forced to look to the fog line. I feel one of these days these so call "beautifail" lights will cause me to run off the road or plow right into them. So much for safety.

I believe it is called "old age" :D As we get older we also get more night blind and lights bother us. Just have to adapt and use preventative measures like those yellow tint night glasses that brighten up things and prevent the flare-glare. They do work. I have seen similar visor adaptors advertised on television lately that slide down.

I don't know many kids today who can afford to buy any type of new car. The cars aimed at the youth market tend to be priced out of that market's price range. I can remember when any teenager pumping gas or bagging groceries could buy and insure a new car and sometimes even a musclecar.

Signs of the times. Remember when a Corvette was priced just a little more than a standard car? There are cars out there kids can buy but they seem to want speed and power which equals HIGH insurance rates which makes buying these cars a moot point. The down side is that these kids often drive without insurance and you don't find out until after the fact.

Signs of the times. Remember when a Corvette was priced just a little more than a standard car? There are cars out there kids can buy but they seem to want speed and power which equals HIGH insurance rates which makes buying these cars a moot point. The down side is that these kids often drive without insurance and you don't find out until after the fact.

Many states, such as Louisiana, REQUIRE (minimum value) Liability Auto Insurance - but, many individuals but insurance with these "so-called" cheapie companies and keep it just barely long enough to get a license plate and state MV Inspection Sticker - then the insurance is cancelled. When one of these folks hits your car, they provide the patrolman with "proof" of insurance and the officer has non way of kn owing that the policy has lapsed or was cancelled - and you are stuck unless you have an "Uninsured Motorist Coverage" at your own cost on your own policy.

Marty said, " you are stuck unless you have an "Uninsured Motorist Coverage" at your own cost or on your own policy."

You are not required to carry that in FL and other states and for 30 years I fought with insureds over having it. Think if it this way, the 20% uninsured/under insured driver's cause 60% of the accidents. Says a lot about responsibility which is revealed by the Credit Score.

Now, off my soapbox and enjoying using up my collector cars.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
correction (see edit history)

In Virginia you have to have either Uninsured Motorist or Insurance but only have to check Yes or No with no proof when registering your car. The DMV will do random checks but could take years if ever before you are chosen to be audited.

In Virginia you have to have either Uninsured Motorist or Insurance but only have to check Yes or No with no proof when registering your car. The DMV will do random checks but could take years if ever before you are chosen to be audited.

I believe the OP referenced Motor Trend Magazine somewhere in this thread? Has anyone thought about notifying MT that there are less than complementary posts here, thus, giving them a chance to defend?

It has now gone to Insurance issues so I highly doubt it.

Peter J.

Their market isn't necessarily our demographic so they could probably not care less. When I cancelled C&D and demanded refund of my cash it was like, oh well, someone else will read it.

The DMV will do random checks but could take years if ever before you are chosen to be audited.
They claim it's random, but I got audited 4 years in a row on the same vehicle till I called down there and raised a stink. Asked 'em if the other three were suitably insured why would they think that specific car was not insured? Then the next year I got one for a different vehicle and I called again. That call seemed to stop it. Haven't gotten an audit form in years. Now watch one come this week.
They blind me so badly as they approach me at night that I'm forced to look to the fog line.
It's not necessarily old age and light sensitivity. New GM trucks and several Asian brands have lights that will burn your eyes out on low beams. It's the reflector and lens design. Most of 'em have foglights on concurrent with low beams so you also have a high-powered and usually badly aimed foglight putting a death ray on you. People apparently don't realise foglights are every bit as bright and powerful as most high beams, and they have 'em on in perfectly clear weather- no fog within 100 miles. Then you have the idiots who either don't know or refuse to acknowledge their vehicle is equipped with a dimmer switch... but I'm sure the "enthusiast" magazines think those death-ray lights are great and give them high marks. Edited by rocketraider (see edit history)