Is the 57 Chevy a good first car?

Guest Stuuuuuuarrt

I have a good friend that recently fell on very hard times. He had 2 cars, a Subaru WRX daily driver and a 1967 antique car (brand unimportant, and withheld to avoid his potential embarrassment). When his situation changed, he found himself unable to afford to keep both cars. Foolishly (IMHO) he chose to keep the antique and use it as a daily driver. (Both cars were about equally valuable and capable as automobiles.) Obviously it was an emotional choice.

This past Wednesday night someone ran a red light. The antique is totaled. Thankfully he was OK, as the car is not one with a stellar safety record or even seat belts. In that way at least he was very lucky.

It is virtually impossible to get agreed value insurance on an antique the insurance company knows is being used daily or finds it to be so. (I would imagine that for a young person it would be VERY impossible.) Sadly, because he couldn't get reliable coverage on the car, he only carried medical and liability. Now he's at the mercy of the at fault other driver to get his loss compensated....

As much fun and appeal as it may have, I never recommend that anyone use an antique as a daily driver. There's just too much risk.

i found out today that being without transportation for a week just cost my friend his job. (He also declined rental car coverage on his policy.)

Most of the time, ins is a add on to the parents policy. That is how I got ins on me 65 chev 409-400 HP in 1968. Cost me 100.00 for full coverage back then for a year. 1000.00 plus if it was in my name only. We had AAA at the time. Why so many people try to discourage Stu from getting this car using the ins issues? So what it doesn't cover the car full value. He just a kid. Let it go. Just find the best ins for his use. And with accidents, every accident is going to have a different results. I rolled a 66 Nova 2 times, no seat belt. Only thing that happened was that I got glass in my eyes and skin. The worst part was I got my butt beat from my dad. It was his car and I was 17.

I still say pursue the '57 Chev.

The surest way to get burned out on a hobby is to start with a project........and in the case of Grandpa's Pontiac.......a huge project.

If Stuart finds the Chev doesn't turn his crank it will be much easier to unload than that Pontiac.

I'd low-ball it by a grand and see where the chips fly....... :rolleyes:

I still say pursue the '57 Chev.

The surest way to get burned out on a hobby is to start with a project........and in the case of Grandpa's Pontiac.......a huge project.

If Stuart finds the Chev doesn't turn his crank it will be much easier to unload than that Pontiac.

I'd low-ball it by a grand and see where the chips fly....... :rolleyes:

Agreed.

Guest AlCapone
Since nobody will come right out and say it, here goes. That Pontiac is a POS. It is a parts car, at best. Thank Grandpa, but run away from it as fast and as far as you can.

58Mustang just said what many of us were thinking. The key word is run ! Wayne

Guest Skyking
As mentioned above, it will cost a ton of money just to get this car moving. Too me it's nothing more than a parts car.

I did say that......

Agree with Country Traveler on the insurance approach. The cheapest route to take is to add on to the family policy and treat it like a less valuable older/used car in the family fleet. In other words, carry liability but not comp/theft on it. Would be a bummer if it was hit and not his fault, but that is the risk in this approach. That was how my ins was back in the day, and how we handled it as parents. (obviously a personal choice and not smart for a high dollar car, but the example '57 Chevy for finanical purposes, is no different than finding a 7 or 8 year old car for a new driver)

Stu - if you like the Chevy, I would low ball the guy using the floors as a negotiation point. Offer $4,000 - establish a limit, perhaps $5,000. Looks like a car you could likely make some progress with. Agree with the advice to run from the Pontiac for all the reasons noted above - you can put twice that amount into that car and still be miles away from a roadworthy car.

Guest Stuuuuuuarrt

Well, I see that most of you guys think that the car is a POS. But, I think it's more about me being able to spend some more time with my grandpa and him showing me all the things that he has learned (As he is already in his 80s) He wont be around for ever.

This might make me sound Naïve and cocky, but I think that I could fix the car up and get looking half decent for around $4500.

I'm not going for a trophy car, Just something I can have fun with.

If I get over whelmed I can always park it in my Garage and leave it for a few years until I am a bit older.

I have a welder, Sandblaster, Air compressor, all of the tools I could ask for (Well my grandpa does, But he is only a 2 min walk away)

I know quite a few people who are metal workers who could hep me or advise me on the body work.

It's not about if I can get it street worthy again, It's about having fun and learning.

Oh, also the guy that is selling the 57 Chevy won't go below $5500, and I can't get anyone to give me a loan :(

I think that's a perfect attitude toward your Grandpa and the car. The car doesn't look like a POS from the photos. It looks saveable. A couple of Mexican blankets are a great way to go for the seats. Also the paint might have some nice patina once it's cleaned up.

I say go for it. Also why don't you just clean off the snow from the hood. That way you can get us some photos of what's under the hood.;)

Stu: that's a perfect reason to 'take on' the Pontiac project: spend some time with your grandfather. Mine passed when I was 10, and I cherish all the time I had with him, and while that was a LONG time ago, I still remember lots of conversations, lessons and trips we went on together.

For the Pontiac, you have been given some good advice:

FACTORY Shop Manual.. NOT one of the 'other' manuals. Chilton, Haynes etc are pretty worthless.

Get it running FIRST, then see if you have a mechanical disaster on your hands or just a neglected car that needs a lot of TLC.

First, get it inside, thawed, and lift up the old floor mats and carpeting and jute padding. This is probably all rotted away, inspect the floor pan.

I have a slightly different agenda with cars like this: Get it running, and safe to drive; engine, brakes, transmission and tires. Lights, and charging system. Then, even without glass, take it out and drive it some and see if the engine has knocks, low oil pressure when warmed up, leaks etc. I'd even go so far as to say: install a temporary gas tank in the trunk for these first few test drives. My point is to spend as little money on items that will be wasted money if the engine has bad bearings, or valves or head gasket. or if the transmission is junk.

I'd pull the spark plugs and put a cup or so of ATF/Acetone mix in each cylinder, a 50/50 mix is one of the least expensive and most effective rust penetrants available. Then put a properly fitting socket and long breaker bar on the front crankshaft bolt that holds the vibration dampener on the crank, and see if you can get the engine to turn over. If it moves even a little, STOP, let the ATF/acetone mix 'work' on the rusty cylinders, for a few days, then gently turn the engine by hand, with the spark plugs removed. If there is rust in the cylinders, the ATF and a gentle rotation of the engine might scrape the rust smooth enough that you can get it running, The ATF/Acetone will also serve to free up the inevitable stuck rings in their piston lands.

Once the engine is turning over, drop the oil pan, clean out the sludge, clean the oil pump pickup screen and drop the oil pump if it's easy to access. Personally I'd look at the rod bearings too, but that's for another thread.

If the engine runs, no knocks or cracks [was it parked with antifreeze in the cooling system? ]. or major leaks. then tackle the brakes, it will probably require either new or rebuilt master cylinder and wheel cylinders. I'd hold off on the brake lining until you KNOW the car has a salvageable drive train and you want to proceed with the car's repairs.

Once you decide to move ahead with the repairs, which I hope does happen for you and your Grandfather's sake, then I'd find the glass, and some blankets or inexpensive seat covers over some seat padding and get the interior functional.. NOT PRETTY.

Get the lights all functional, Doors latches functional and safe.

Where I'm going is to not disassemble the car down to a pile of parts. Rather, in incremental steps, you and your Grandfather have shorter, easier miniature repairs and successes with an incremental restoration or repair of the car.

I'd not even THINK about paint and rust repair until you have driven it for several months, sorting out the many inevitable issues that will show up. Like bad wheel bearings, or a noisy differential from rust on the ring gear, or a surprise of a rusted to nothing frame mount for a spring or part of the body.

i'm thinking tackle one small or medium job at a time, make progress, have a 'win' and enjoy each one.. This whole idea is to keep the car as complete and in one piece as possible.. I'm going to say a majority of big projects like this car NEVER get finished because the whole task is so overwhelming when the car is all apart. But if you keep the car 'rolling' and can take it out occassionally, enjoy the short drive with your Grandpa, then this will be an enjoyable experience.

And, I've found that the 'just removed from the Barn' look gathers a lot more attention and questions than a very pretty fully restored car.

Best of luck, please keep us informed as you work on the Pontiac.

GLong

^^^^^^wholeheartedly agree. Clear the snow off of it, and cover it with a tarp. Then, little by little start cleaning it up. Be patient, progress will come slowly. Don't be in a hurry to throw money at it. Do the cheap stuff first. Somehow the movie "Christine" reminds me of you.

Edited by Larry W (see edit history)

Guest Skyking
Well, I see that most of you guys think that the car is a POS. But, I think it's more about me being able to spend some more time with my grandpa and him showing me all the things that he has learned (As he is already in his 80s) He wont be around for ever.

This might make me sound Naïve and cocky, but I think that I could fix the car up and get looking half decent for around $4500.

I'm not going for a trophy car, Just something I can have fun with.

If I get over whelmed I can always park it in my Garage and leave it for a few years until I am a bit older.

I have a welder, Sandblaster, Air compressor, all of the tools I could ask for (Well my grandpa does, But he is only a 2 min walk away)

I know quite a few people who are metal workers who could hep me or advise me on the body work.

It's not about if I can get it street worthy again, It's about having fun and learning.

Oh, also the guy that is selling the 57 Chevy won't go below $5500, and I can't get anyone to give me a loan :(

This puts a huge perspective on this topic. Yes, this is a good reason to work on the Pontiac and get it running. Quality time has no price!!

Stu, after re-reading previous threads, I noticed that you're concerned as to whether the car radio plays. Let me tell you what I did. Back when I was about twelve or thirteen years old, at the start of summer vacation, I spotted an abandoned 1959 Ford in a big box parking lot. I could tell it was abandoned as there were no license plates, three of the tires were flat, and the right front fender was heavily damaged. But the car was a pretty Geranium color and a Tudor post sedan Galaxie with a V8 and standard shift transmission. Practically every day I would take my portable transistor radio, a tire pump, and my dad's spare 12 volt battery, load it all in the basket of my bike, and ride over to that Ford and spend the entire day cleaning, pumping up the tires, and trying to get the lights to work, ( borrowed some of dad's spare bulbs ) while listening to the radio and watching pretty girls walk by. I'm sure they thought I was some kind of a nut; I haven't changed a bit! At the end of the day, I would ride back home, put Dad's battery on the charger, and swap the dead batteries out of my radio for better batteries out of my sister's radio. In the next day or two, I would ride back and do it all over again.

In July, I was asked what I wanted for my birthday. I told my dad that I wanted to somehow bring that Ford home and become the new owner. He said, "Why are you messing with that car? It probably belongs to some poor guy who was drafted and is now being shot at in Vietnam. I replied, "If that's the case, then I've only been taking care of it for him." At that point, he proceeded to educate me on the legalities of vehicle ownership, meaning contacting the owner and getting the title, and possibly paying the finance company for any money still owed, which most likely was why the wrecked car was left abandoned. All this quickly became a mute point, as shortly thereafter, when I went to visit, the car was gone. Apparently hauled off to the scrap yard.

Anyway, my point in this whole long story is that you shouldn't be too concerned about the car radio for now, just supply your own music from your personal device, whatever kids are using nowadays. Even most old farts like me usually have the music of our time playing in the background while working on (playing) with our old cars. I envy you for the potential of fun that may be in store for you.

By the way, the walls in the dinette of my house are painted the same color as that '59 Ford!

Guest Skyking
Stu, after re-reading previous threads, I noticed that you're concerned as to whether the car radio plays. Let me tell you what I did. Back when I was about twelve or thirteen years old, at the start of summer vacation, I spotted an abandoned 1959 Ford in a big box parking lot. I could tell it was abandoned as there were no license plates, three of the tires were flat, and the right front fender was heavily damaged. But the car was a pretty Geranium color and a Tudor post sedan Galaxie with a V8 and standard shift transmission. Practically every day I would take my portable transistor radio, a tire pump, and my dad's spare 12 volt battery, load it all in the basket of my bike, and ride over to that Ford and spend the entire day cleaning, pumping up the tires, and trying to get the lights to work, ( borrowed some of dad's spare bulbs ) while listening to the radio and watching pretty girls walk by. I'm sure they thought I was some kind of a nut; I haven't changed a bit! At the end of the day, I would ride back home, put Dad's battery on the charger, and swap the dead batteries out of my radio for better batteries out of my sister's radio. In the next day or two, I would ride back and do it all over again.

In July, I was asked what I wanted for my birthday. I told my dad that I wanted to somehow bring that Ford home and become the new owner. He said, "Why are you messing with that car? It probably belongs to some poor guy who was drafted and is now being shot at in Vietnam. I replied, "If that's the case, then I've only been taking care of it for him." At that point, he proceeded to educate me on the legalities of vehicle ownership, meaning contacting the owner and getting the title, and possibly paying the finance company for any money still owed, which most likely was why the wrecked car was left abandoned. All this quickly became a mute point, as shortly thereafter, when I went to visit, the car was gone. Apparently hauled off to the scrap yard.

Anyway, my point in this whole long story is that you shouldn't be too concerned about the car radio for now, just supply your own music from your personal device, whatever kids are using nowadays. Even most old farts like me usually have the music of our time playing in the background while working on (playing) with our old cars. I envy you for the potential of fun that may be in store for you.

By the way, the walls in the dinette of my house are painted the same color as that '59 Ford!

Larry, great story!! The things we did as kids aren't like the things they do today...............much better times then.

When I was 16 I let my parents talk me out of a $500 55 Chevy 2 door post car because it was an "old" car. Biggest mistake I ever made because I could have resold that car 3 years later for $3k. The 62 Comet 4 door I eventually settled for was a gutless POS that never did appreciate in value. Forget all the naysayers about old unsafe vehicles and get on it. Your time with grandpa now is priceless. In 5 yrs you'll be up to your butt in diapers and bills and gramps will be too old to help if he's still around. No money is a drag and always will be. If the tools are there get to work and don't quit until you've got plates on it.

If not buying a car is the biggest mistake that you ever made, you're way ahead of the game.

Good advice, anyway.

Pontiac, Chevy or whatever. Just go out and get your hands dirty. You'll be happy, pissed, satisfied, disgusted all at the same time. You'll learn how far you can hurl a screwdriver. You will watch your own blood drip on the floor. You'll feel the joy of laying under a dashboard for hours. You'll burn yourself at least once a day. You'll get grease in your eye. Like childbirth, you'll forget all of the pain the first time you back out of the garage, sitting on a milk crate, grinning through the opening where the windshield is supposed to be.

Absolutely. I'm pretty sure that 90's front wheel drive everybody is raving about will magically appear in your driveway anyway after you've borrowed Dad's good car a couple times. There's nothing like building something yourself. Even if it never moves under it's own power, it will teach you mechanics, body work, painting , glass , interior stitching and unfortunately, maybe a little about investing. What you learn from that rusty old Pontiac may not give you a great car this time around, but it's the education for that points champion you are building 10 yrs from now.

Guest Skyking
When I was 16 I let my parents talk me out of a $500 55 Chevy 2 door post car because it was an "old" car.

You're not alone! I had just turned 16 in 1962 and my father talked me out of buying my uncle's '55 Chevy convertible for $150.00 because it was too old. A friend of mine bought it and still has it to this day................ It was a 7 year old Chevy!!

You're not alone! I had just turned 16 in 1962 and my father talked me out of buying my uncle's '55 Chevy convertible for $150.00 because it was too old. A friend of mine bought it and still has it to this day................ It was a 7 year old Chevy!!

OUCH !! A convertible, owned by a person in your family, and $150, which in 1962 was still a very reasonable price: a VW cost $1600, a Corvair, Falcon or Valiant could be bought for between $2000-$2500. So $150 for a car in-family and only 7 years old.. that hurts now.

GLong

Guest Skyking
OUCH !! A convertible, owned by a person in your family, and $150, which in 1962 was still a very reasonable price: a VW cost $1600, a Corvair, Falcon or Valiant could be bought for between $2000-$2500. So $150 for a car in-family and only 7 years old.. that hurts now.

GLong

You know what the kicker was? My dad called it old, and his car was a '55 Buick that he cherished. My brothers and I still think about that today. I guess I was just too young to push the idea. Maybe I'd still have it today.....

KID_GO FOR IT!!!

Here is my story. I lived in Detroit, winters were pretty rough back then. Snow,lots of it,ice, ice rain etc. John Keiser will back my story on that. Detroit was the salt capital of the world with the salt mines under the city. I'm 16 in 1968 in Feb. 26. Got my you know what in March in 68.

My 1st car? Get this! 1965 Chev Impala SS convertible. Now listen! I'm 16!

It has a 409-400 HP with a 4 speed 4.11 Posi. 0 accidents with a lot of close calls speeding and drag racing tickets. Talk my self out of them. I have the fastest car in high school, one of the most popular and such. Talk about bragging rights and memories? It's like the song from the JUDDS ( Papa-tell me about the good old days) This is what my kids and grandkids ask. Also, my parents was against me to buy this car. The cost? 400.00 on payments to the owner. He had lost his licence for drag racing. Man! how time had change. My second car a year later. A drag car since new, 62 Chev Impala. It was a 409-380 car for 200.00 No drive train. I say go for it, be careful and do good in school. The pictures below of the 65 car is from the internet. The white 62 is the car I owned. It was taken in 1970 while I was in the NAVY.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]284500[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]284501[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]284502[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]284503[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]284504[/ATTACH]

My dad almost didn't let me buy the 1965 Chev in 1968. 400.00 for a 1965 Impala SS conv-409-400 4 speed with 20.000 miles. Being 16 years old, took a lot of convincing my dad that this was a great buy.

Parents - mine somehow thought a Camaro (about twice as fast and not much bigger?!) was a safer car than a Trumph or MG, what I really wanted. The nice thing about growing up is you get to do what you want then, so it is all good in the end! ;)

Stu, just getting the ol Pontiac running with grandpa will be a fun adventure for sure. You can read about how to make that happen right here if you search the forum. Make that your first goal with that car, and after that you will both have a much better feel for where you want to go with it. plus, in terms of spending time it does not have to be THAT car if you decide you two want to work on a project together, but this first step will give you both some real experience to ponder over.

Good luck, hope you stay interested whether you end up as a Pontiac, Chevy or brand X guy! :)

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Stu, here is an example of a very sound, affordable first project -

http://forums.aaca.org/f119/1950-plymouth-deluxe-2-door-sedan-385205.html

It is tough to get a deal on say, a '55 T-bird or other very established car but some of the less established collector cars can be had in a slower economy - especially in semi-completed project form. This example is not a basket case by any stretch - nice paint, chrome and some relatively straight forward work remaining. When these things pop up, the trick is being able to differentiate between a project that can be tackled, vs. a more ambitious project(i.e. a real basket case or rustbox). Hard to define in a short note, but this car to me, speaks "sound deal for a first timer, and pretty reliable drivetrains" - those old MOPAR 6 cylinders were pretty easy to work on and super solid mechanically, and if you do need parts (you will on any old car) these will not break the bank.

Just wanted to pass this along for you to think on...

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Stuuuuuuarrt

HI!

I am really sorry for being so inactive. The holidays came very fast, so I've been busy with family, homework and all that kind of stuff.

I have decided to give the Pontiac a try, but I've been tryi not to think about it too much. As I can't do anything with it until the snow melts. Hopefully it will all be gone by May :) ( it can be my summer project, and I can also get a summer job to fuel this project ;) ) I found out the model of the car (checked out the original papers on the vehicle) it's a 1957 4 door pathfinder deluxe.

I've got big plans for this :) some may not come true, but I can always say I tried. Worse comes to worse I can push it into my garage and save it for when I am older, and have a bit more cash.

I would also like to say that I really enjoyed reading all of your guys car stories :) if you have anymore keep'em coming!

I will try to stay more active on the forums this time :)

-Stuart

HI!

I am really sorry for being so inactive. The holidays came very fast, so I've been busy with family, homework and all that kind of stuff.

-Stuart

I love your attitude Stuart.........and you have your priorities straight....... ;)

Just so you don't feel alone I'm waiting for warm weather too........pretty sure a whole bunch of us are....... :P

• 2 months later...
Guest Stuuuuuuarrt

So, I'm pretty sad and pissed right now...Seeing that he car is up at my uncles, to really hard for me to get a ride up there.All the snow is finally gone. And my cousin came up today so that gave me a good excuse to go and visit.I opened the hood, to find that quite a few parts are missing (From people) I took the chain off of the door to open it, and the floor is completly rotten...

So, right now it seems as if my classic car dream is dead ( for now )

I'll post some pics. Is there any way I could fix the floor?

post-104874-143143055894_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stuuuuuuarrt (see edit history)

Guest Stuuuuuuarrt

[ATTACH=CONFIG]303435[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]303436[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]303437[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]303438[/ATTACH]

post-104874-143143055922_thumb.jpg