Is the 57 Chevy a good first car?

Guest Stuuuuuuarrt

Not since 1967. Suggest you look a something newer. If you want a big V8 rear drive Chev, there are lots from the 80s and 90s for sale at reasonable prices, that you would stand a chance running as every day transportation.

Of course a newer front drive car would be cheaper on gas, more reliable, more practical etc. but, if you want a big old rear drive car, the full size Chev, Ford and Chrysler cars of the 80s are hard to beat for value.

Guest Stuuuuuuarrt

I'll take 1 last look at it today... (Although at this point it's kind of pointless)

I was really looking forward to working on it :(

My grandpa doesn't think that it's that big of a deal. He said just to take the seats out and weld a new floor on, but I think that could be pretty unsafe if done incorrectly xD

I'll keep looking. There is a pretty nice 65 Mercury pick up for sale- http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/kamloops/1965-mercury-pick-up/1057652853?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true There is also an old Jaguar sitting in front of a guys house, which has been there for at least 2 years (Has not moved at all)

I still need to get my dads 2 toyota 4runners out of my shop anyway (I was going to take the starter out of one, put it in the one that is able to run, and scrap the other)

I'll keep you guys updated on what happens.

I wouldn't give up so easy Stu. Before you condemn the car try to (safely) get a look at the frame. If it's solid then patching the floor really isn't that difficult. My first car was a '67 Rustang and it had badly rusted floors and non-running engine. I sourced some sheet metal, hand shears, pop rivets and roofing cement to seal things up. Some carpet remnants and I was in business. As for engine parts, small block Chevys are not exactly thin on the ground... It will be easy to source any mechanical parts for this but you need to make sure the frame and suspension pick up points are solid.

Guest Stuuuuuuarrt
I wouldn't give up so easy Stu. Before you condemn the car try to (safely) get a look at the frame. If it's solid then patching the floor really isn't that difficult. My first car was a '67 Rustang and it had badly rusted floors and non-running engine. I sourced some sheet metal, hand shears, pop rivets and roofing cement to seal things up. Some carpet remnants and I was in business. As for engine parts, small block Chevys are not exactly thin on the ground... It will be easy to source any mechanical parts for this but you need to make sure the frame and suspension pick up points are solid.

I think what I'll do is in the summer, get someone to tow it down and put it in my shop. I have room for 3 vehicles, so I can put it in there and work on it when I can, or wait till I'm a bit older. Either way, it would be great to get it undercover.

Guest Stuuuuuuarrt

post-104874-143143058518_thumb.jpg

post-104874-143143058543_thumb.jpg

post-104874-143143058599_thumb.jpg

Theres my great grandpas old Ford f 150 that I was told I could have. Not %100 sure on the year (I'm assuming late 60s, or 70s) There's some rust on it, but I should be able to fix it pretty easily. What do you guys think?

post-104874-14314305857_thumb.jpg

post-104874-143143058629_thumb.jpg

I've fixed worse, and the price is right. Looks like a 79 with a 302 V8. They are not a very hard truck to work on and parts are available, and not too expensive.

Right off the bat it needs rocker panels, wheel arch repair and possibly floors. These panels are available at any parts store.

Suggest you go over the truck carefully and figure out what it needs, like brakes, steering, tires etc. then figure out if you want to get involved in a project like that. Ask your grandfather what it needs for a start.

Could be a cool project especially if you have someone more knowledgeable about fixing cars that can help.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

I bought a very similar truck about 15 years ago. A 79 Ford with 302 engine. It needed a transmission and body and paint. It was even the same color. I did the body and painted it with Canadian Tire enamel, white with red stripe.

When it was all done it looked pretty good, ran great and I had less than $1000 invested total. I drove it for about 5 years and was happy about the whole thing. It even got great mileage, over 20 MPG on the hiway which is fantastic for a V8 pickup truck.

Guest Stuuuuuuarrt

Cool, thanks for letting me know the year of the truck. Not as old as I would of liked, but I think it will be great considering I live in the country. The truck does run, but I remember when my dad had it it would over heat a lot. I may take it to my local mechanic (He is a pretty good friend of my grandpas) and have him look it over to tell me what needs to be done to it.

Also, would it be okay for me to use metal from a newer truck (A toyota 4runner) to patch up the rusted spots on the Ford? As I really don't want to use Bondo :P

Body filler has its place.......pretty hard to scab on "new" metal without having something to smooth the joints, hills and valleys...... ;)

Bondo is actually good stuff or it wouldn't still be around after so many years.

It got its bad connotation from "restorers" going way overboard with it instead of actually fixing things....... :rolleyes:

<<< that '59 could use some Bondo but if I start anything I'll have to finish it.........and I'm not quite done fixing stuff you can't see.......like all new coil springs, shocks, lower ball joints and control arm bushings and tie rod ends........speaking of ENDS.........it never ENDS.......but I REALLY love that car........ :P

Edited by cahartley (see edit history)

Quote;

"Also, would it be okay for me to use metal from a newer truck (A toyota 4runner) to patch up the rusted spots on the Ford? As I really don't want to use Bondo :p"

All the metal that you need is available in the form of pre formed repair panels that fit like a glove. Much easier and just the correct shape.

Stu, glad to see some activity from you again with Spring/Summer coming. That truck looks promising, and while you said it is not as old as you might like, you may be interested in knowing that pickups from the 60s - 80s are being noted as getting really hot with collectors. If you do a nice job on that truck you can enjoy it and possibly do OK if you ever do intend to sell. You might fund it in part, by bringing the Pontiac to your place and parting it out - that would keep you out of a lose lose situation with it in terms of an overwhelming project with very little upside if you ever were to finish it, and help some other hobbyists keep their Pontiac (not as easy to get parts for as a Chevy, say) on the road - perhaps your grandpa and you would feel good about that, and maybe meet some other old car people in the process.

Pick up a copy of Hemmings Motor News - look in the truck section and see how popular your Ford is becoming, a big indicator is how many ads are devoted to "pick up truck parts" - these things are hot, and it appears you have a decent start. Partnering with your mechanic on a priority list is also a very good move. As Roger notes, your panels are available and that would be a lot less hassle in the long run.

Good luck!

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

That F150 looks like a good possibility, unless, as you've mentioned, it's been overheated once too many times and the engine is now severely damaged. I wouldn't give up on the Pontiac either, as readily obtainable replacement floor pans from a '57 Chevy MAY POSSIBLY fit right in (investigate).

It's somewhat of a rare car and should be saved, and if impossible to save, at least parted out to help save a similar vehicle.

If you acquire the truck, either Ford or Toyota, let us know what you end up with as there are plenty of arm-chair advisors here to steer you in the right (?) direction.

Edited by Larry W (see edit history)

Don't give up on the Pontiac. First clean out the interior and trunk and vacuum it out really well with a shop vac. Then get in moved to where it can dry out.

That car is worth saving, for one as it was mentioned before, it a rare car, especially with the small block Chevy V8. The floor pans are very likely to be the same as a 55-57 Chevy.

The Ford looks like it should be a easy project. That's the last of Ford trucks that were built with some real steel.

This post is just dribbling along,why get interested in a car before you check your borrowing capacity, cant Grandpa fork out for a loan instead of offering his grandson bank breaking projects. Once a 57 Chevy, then a junk Pontiac, then a beat up Ford pick up, what next???

Come on,please encourage this hopeful young fella to pull back, use uncommon sense and re assess his options first.

Seems every body is encouraging this keen young man, but he has no money or facilities. All I can see is future disenchantment.

I say get a job, buy some real estate, then if you can afford to throw away thousands buy a resto project, but why not save up and buy a restored car for way less than the owner has spent on it.

R

Well, post #223 does represent an alternative opinion. I have to disagree on a few levels -- first that this conversation moving slowly points to Stu's looking for feedback which is a good thing. He will get differing opinions and I think he seems like the type of young man to weigh them, which is a good learning process hobby related or not.

Agree a restored car is always cheaper in the long run, and for some people it is the only way to go - but having done both, it is not the only way to go for everyone. I suspect in Stu's case here, he is looking to spend time with his grandfather and learn a little bit about auto mechanics. IMHO his best course of action includes the following: Obtaining parental and family support; picking a project that is not monumentous but is in fact, a project, and getting to work. He then joins the ranks of the million or so teenagers who have experienced the joy of refurbishing (and maybe even restoring) an old car. Don't see where the approach of "wait till your older and have some extra money" encourages youth at all - to a 16 year old, that seems like a lifetime away. Also, he may be short on money but we do not know what plans he has to fund this, learning a bit of money basics is a good idea and this is a very practical way to do it - part time job, etc. He mentions a shop so he has a facility. Millions of kids in his situation have figured this out, so why short change his talents or motivation? He could develop skills that apply to a lifetime hobby or career as a result of this effort, no?

It is a big hobby, like most here I can think of friends who do not care to get greasy and those for whom the entire experience is about the restoration process - both ends of the spectrum are equally hobbyists, but what drives them is different.

While "restored is always cheaper than a project" is a sound rule of the hobby, a second one is "the better the start the better the finish" - which is I think is a good early lesson for Stu here.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

I wish that I had had a grandfather to give me a choice of several cars. As far as a loan goes, if he loses a $1000 of his own money in the Ford pick up, it will be a disaster to him, but one of the cheapest lessons that he will learn early in life.

Real Estate is good,but not at 17 years old. That will come later, after he learns a few valuable lessons.

Guest Stuuuuuuarrt
This post is just dribbling along,why get interested in a car before you check your borrowing capacity, cant Grandpa fork out for a loan instead of offering his grandson bank breaking projects. Once a 57 Chevy, then a junk Pontiac, then a beat up Ford pick up, what next???

Come on,please encourage this hopeful young fella to pull back, use uncommon sense and re assess his options first.

Seems every body is encouraging this keen young man, but he has no money or facilities. All I can see is future disenchantment.

I say get a job, buy some real estate, then if you can afford to throw away thousands buy a resto project, but why not save up and buy a restored car for way less than the owner has spent on it.

R

Well first off, my funds are fine. I have a good 3K saved up, and a summer job... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not remember stating in this thread that I was short on money?

And for the facilities, as I said in a above post I do have a shop (That can fit 3 vehicles). When my dad passed away he left me with a shop with a shop that has quite a few tools in it, and 2 Toyota 4runners. Plus I live about 30 seconds from my grandpas place, so I can borrow what ever tools that he has collected within the 50+ year's.

The 57 Chevy was nice, but he wouldn't budge on the price. I wanted to work on the Pontiac (Which I still haven't fully given up on) because I would of loved to of let my grandpa see it running again.

I want someone that has sentimental value to it. I want to show my kids a car that their great grandpa bought back when he was 21. I want to show them a truck that their great great Grandpa drove to work.

And I don't really see a big problem with that. I don't mind throwing money into a classic car, as once I have kids I probably wont get much of a chance to.

That F150 looks like a good possibility, unless, as you've mentioned, it's been overheated once too many times and the engine is now severely damaged. I wouldn't give up on the Pontiac either, as readily obtainable replacement floor pans from a '57 Chevy MAY POSSIBLY fit right in (investigate).

It's somewhat of a rare car and should be saved, and if impossible to save, at least parted out to help save a similar vehicle.

If you acquire the truck, either Ford or Toyota, let us know what you end up with as there are plenty of arm-chair advisors here to steer you in the right (?) direction.

Don't give up on the Pontiac. First clean out the interior and trunk and vacuum it out really well with a shop vac. Then get in moved to where it can dry out.

That car is worth saving, for one as it was mentioned before, it a rare car, especially with the small block Chevy V8. The floor pans are very likely to be the same as a 55-57 Chevy.

The Ford looks like it should be a easy project. That's the last of Ford trucks that were built with some real steel.

I'm defiantly Not giving up on the Pontiac. What I think I'll do is in the summer, spend some money to get it towed down to my place and put in the shop. From there, I can work on it when I please. And, it would be under cover. So worse comes to worse, It'll be in my shop until I am old enough to fix it up. My grandpa says that he can tow it down, but I really can't see him getting it off of that flat bed without a proper pulley (as the wood on the flat be is completely rotten. My leg fell through it a couple of times.)

Edited by Stuuuuuuarrt (see edit history)

I'm defiantly Not giving up on the Pontiac. What I think I'll do is in the summer, spend some money to get it towed down to my place and put in the shop. From there, I can work on it when I please. And, it would be under cover. So worse comes to worse, It'll be in my shop until I am old enough to fix it up. My grandpa says that he can tow it down, but I really can't see him getting it off of that flat bed without a proper pulley (as the wood on the flat be is completely rotten. My leg fell through it a couple of times.)

When my DeSoto was delivered to my shop, there was no way to remove it from the flat bed trailer it arrived on. So I appealed to the lumber yard a block away to send over their large forklift to raise it from the side and set it on the ground in front of the entrance, where I then dragged it inside.

Guest Stuuuuuuarrt
When my DeSoto was delivered to my shop, there was no way to remove it from the flat bed trailer it arrived on. So I appealed to the lumber yard a block away to send over their large forklift to raise it from the side and set it on the ground in front of the entrance, where I then dragged it inside.

That was a good idea. I beleive that my grandpa attached a rope around the car and just lifted it on the trailer with his excavator. Although, I really don't want him to do that again xD as I'm afraid it may damage the Pontiac.