I LUV NAPA

Bhigdog

Ours is hot or miss. If it's for anything older they can't do anything for you. It's not in their system. Which recently took the cutoff date from the early 40's and moved it up to the 1950's.

Our car quest store in the next town is awesome. They have more than once taken a bunch of time to research what I needed going as far as telling me which NAPA number I needed for my application because they didn't stock or have access to the part but NAPA did. That was after NAPA said they didn't have what I needed.

I feel bad I don't do more business with them but they are the next town over and NAPA is literally next door to my house.

The staff at Car Quest is very friendly as well. I go in there maybe twice a year ( a friend picks stuff up for me occasionally though) I have no account but they always remember my name and give me a big hello every time I walk through the door.

I think that's just good old customer service/relations like you used to get.

Probably depends on the locally owned store. My store keeps stacks of the old books and if it's not on screen the guys usually say "wait a minute" and hit the old books and cross reference guides. They seldom fail to please. I guess the title of my post should read I LUV my local NAPA.........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

We have four Advance and two AutoZones in town plus an O'Reilly. Also a CarQuest that's open Saturday mornings so I go there for stuff, but as Advance now owns CarQuest and there's an AA less than a mile from the CarQuest, who knows how much longer it'll be open. The NAPA and the Federated parts stores can't be convinced to open Saturday- they concentrate on the service trade and leave the weekend market to the chains.

Our town only had a NAPA for several years and I have always paid my account on time. I figured that they would treat me as well as they could being a long time customer in good standing.

Then an Autozone moved into town. MUCH better pricing,

Then I have a neighbor whos wife works for a large school bus company. He gets NAPA parts for much less money that I can by going thru his wifes job account. I am thinking that NAPA is a bit to big for their britches when it comes to the little guy.

I penciled out a brake job that I did on my pick up after buying all NAPA parts and found that I could have done the job for about 60% if I had shopped Autozone. I shop Autozone first now and I pay my account on time there too.

The NAPA owner who I thought was a friend says he cant compete. Maybe if they weren't spending so much money sponsoring races and such they could make some better deals and may have been able to keep a customer of forty years.

Oh yea, those deals where you can get a hat or a football if you spend so much, Those are not available to customers that charge to their account and pay on time for forty years either.

Sorry for the rant.....

If you haven't checked out RockAuto, you should do so even if you don't order from them and just use it for a price and availability reference. I usually find that, even with postage include, I can save some money and get a better selection of parts to boot. The downside is that you may have to wait a few days but another advantage is that the parts are delivered to your door. If I need a part right away I generally go to NAPA first because there counter help always understands what I am talking about when I say Studebaker! I get some very interesting responses from the other store's counter help.

My NAPA is just four blocks away.

They're opened on Sat.

They keep a great stock of things.

What they don't have in store, they'll have in a day or two, no shipping charge.

They'll look at nearby NAPA stores stock, and say we can get it here tomorrow, or you can drive across town or downtown and get it today.

My local NAPA store has been there forever and is the only place in the area with employees that actually know anything about older cars. They are computerized like everywhere is today but they actually have books for older stuff and know how to use them! One of the owners is an older Vette owner and most of the countermen have worked there for at least 15 years. I totally gave up on Autozone and O'Reilly's years ago.

I usually just buy my oil at NAPA or have my brake rotors machined. Their prices are about the same as the zoo or schmucks or whatever they call themselves these days but NAPA gives me a 10% discount because I have a AAA membership.

Carquest is pretty much useless for older car parts.

Don't get me wrong I like Carquest for the newer stuff.

When it comes to brick and mortar stores it's pretty tough to beat O'Reilly's.

We're lucky enough to have a NAPA warehouse only 17 miles away where they stock an enormous inventory.

NAPA is pretty good with the older stuff too.......not as good as O'Reilly but pretty good....... :)

If the NAPA here were only open when I can get there... They close at 5 weekdays and closed Saturdays. I get off work at 4:30 and have a 30 mile drive back to town. But I like NAPA too when I can catch 'em open...

Glenn,

Don't know about your end of the state, but here in NoVA, the NAPA stores are all open relatively late on Saturdays and about half of them are now open on Sundays as well. Perhaps change is coming.

Won't go to Auto Zone anymore, kids are behind the counter and if they can't look it up in the computer you aint getting it. There is a Carquest with the guys that grew up on books and looking it up the hard way, cross references etc. Went to AutoZone and needed a diode trio for a Delco alternator, it's on a farm tractor -- they couldn't help me, Car Quest guys walked to the shelf no computer no books etc. They get almost all my business, unless they arent open when I can get there, then it's Adavnce Auto I go to.

I bought some oil and a filter from NAPA as usual today. I also bought a heater line fitting I need for my Ford and they had it and it was made in USA. :)

They didn't have some carburetor to manifold studs though. The counter guy only used books and went through all his inventory. He must have spent at least 20 minutes helping me and trying to match up any possible alternatives. I was impressed.

A good counterman today is a rarity to be treasured. They actually take pride in figuring out what will interchange with or replace whatever you are looking for. There are fewer and fewer around. Most people behind the counter today do not want to be bothered.

A good counterman today is a rarity to be treasured. They actually take pride in figuring out what will interchange with or replace whatever you are looking for. There are fewer and fewer around. Most people behind the counter today do not want to be bothered.

You almost have to get the book out, show them what they're looking for-- If it's pre fuel injection or HEI you sometimes get this "You want what look?" You won't believe how many times a day I get this "Hey Dale"

But finding the different or hard to find keeps you on your toes.:o

The counterman is important. I went to a local NAPA to try and find a float needle for my 23 Olds. I was just looking for something that might fit. Boy was I amazed when he went in the back and brought out a book that actually had it listed. Autozone is nice and cheap but they rarely have the things I am looking for.