What is there to see along Interstate 80?

keiser31

Making a trip from Oregon to Michigan along Interstate 80 and was wondering if you folks know of any museums or old car places to check out along the way that are not too far from the Interstate? I am familiar with the Pioneer Village.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I used to love the route when it was two lane hwy. through Nevada and Utah, today be prepared for some high speed travel or the trucks will run you off the road! In 1968 I ran out of gas about 13 miles east of Wells driving my 1963 Cutlass convertible because I was too cheap to pay the 45 cents a gallon that they wanted in Elko and there were no gas stations between Elko and Wells. I walked about a quarter of a mile and got a ride into Wells, borrowed a gas can at the station, caught another ride immediately going the other direction and was on the road in about an hour. Different times and I miss them terribly and that is why I often take the road less traveled today.

The Great Salt Lake Desert and the Bonneville Salt Flats raceway. You won't have to go looking for it though cause you will be right in the middle of it! You might like to check out the National Studebaker Museum in South Bent Indiana. It's on the way and I know that you will like it.

A. There's a new car museum in Kearney, NE. It's next to Cabelas on Old 30(Lincoln Highway) on the extreme NE part of town. It's The Classic Car Collection of Kearney, primarily collected by Bernie & Janice Taulborg, with some loaners. Big building -- about 180 cars mostly 1903 to 1991. Open 362 days a year, but last admission is about 4:00 p.m.

... www.ccckearney.com ...

Their list includes: a 1914 Locomobile Roadster, a 1921 Gardner, a 1923 Velie, 3 Dodges, 3 Pierce-Arrows, a 1948 Kaiser, 40 GM cars and a 1991 Ferrari Testarossa. I haven't actually been there yet.

B. The Motion Unlimited Museum and used car lot in Rapid City, SD. They have a 1927 Dodge Coupe and a 1939 Lincoln-Zephyr Coupe. This one is smaller and funkier than the one above, but still worth seeing. Maybe you'll get lost, or want to detour north to the Black Hills for some reason. I stopped here 10 years ago once.

C. If you are driving through Wyoming there is a surprisingly good Mexican restaurant in Sinclair, 1 mile north of I-80 (and 3 miles east of Rawlins). It's called "Mi Casa", I think. When I worked in Rawlins 16 years ago it used to be just the front room of some lady's house, but now they've gone big time and have an actual restaurant next door. Sorry, no old cars in Sinclair -- just a little refinery!

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

The Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum in Auburn, Indiana is definitely one to not miss. It is in the beautifully restored large 1930 art deco Auburn Automobile Company's former administration building which is on the National Register of Historic Buildings. For someone interested in architecture the trip would be worth it to see the building alone. Contained is a large number of very significant cars and outstanding exhibits. Nearby is the Early Ford V8 Museum and the huge auction center, formerly Kruse's. Should your trip by chance be over Labor Day weekend you would also be treated to the annual ACD festival, with townspeople, the museum, the auction, and the ACD club collaborating to celebrate in this small depression impacted former automobile manufacturing town.

You could also visit the numerous tastefully done marque-museums clustered at Hickory Corners, Mich, much to see. Google could provide more info on these suggestions.

GREAT suggestions, guys! Thank you so very much. I have been across the U.S. many times, but have not taken the time to stop and smell the old cars...

• 3 weeks later...

South Bend has the Studebaker museum and worth a stop.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Pella Iowa a Dutch community.

It is Wiatt Earp's boyhood home

It also has a Bakery shop well worth visiting.

Jaarsma Bakery

727 Franklin St

Pella, IA 50219

Bakery Web Site http://www.jaarsmabakery.com/

Review http://www.yelp.com/biz/jaarsma-bakery-pella

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Freedom Rock

It is 2 miles south of I-80 at Hwy 25 (Exit 86) about 35 miles west of I-35 at Des Moines

Do a google search on "the freedom Rock Iowa" for information on the paintings.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/8191

Edited by huptoy (see edit history)

http://olesbiggame.com/history

You will have to ask about this place... I just heard about it...

Word spread about the little town with the unusual bar. Motorists exited nearby Interstate 80 to take a look. Ole enjoyed the travelers and was always willing to tell stories between sips of his favorite drink, VO and Coke.

One of the charms of Ole’s Bar was the surprise visitors. Ole had visited Jack Dempsey’s restaurant in New York, and on several occasions the retired boxer came to Paxton to hunt, fish and pal around with his Nebraska friend. Actor Robert Duvall, Gunsmoke’s Miss Kitty and other notables also came to see the unusual bar and the man behind it.

If you could have chosen from all the people who lived in Paxton in the middle years of the 20th century, among the most unlikely to create a tourism attraction for the town was Ole Herstedt. He was likeable rouge, a nice fellow who enjoyed a good time. But certainly he was not a poster boy for the Commercial Club, or a candidate for economic development leader of the year.

Perhaps that was the charm. Americans like colorful characters. The sportsman (and the occasional sportswoman) who stumbled upon the Paxton bar probably saw in Ole what they wished for themselves- a person lucky and smart enough to parlay his joy for the outdoors into a livelihood. Even people who never fired a gun understood that Herstedt was a rare help of planners and decorators, one wonders if it could have been a success. Take a walk through Ole’s and you know there was no planning. The bar probably couldn’t have succeeded in New York City, Chicago or Boston. Yet it works in Paxton, of all places.

In 1988, when he was 87, Ole decided he’d had enough.

The polar bear stayed. So did the Canadian moose and Ole’s 200 other trophies. But Holzfaster, with the aid of his wife, Deb, gave the place a thorough cleaning, aired it out, and the ordered Nebraska beef from Mark Hehnke, a third generation butcher who has a shop a block north of the bar.

Today, the lounge has been expanded to become Ole’s Steakhouse and Lounge.

‘Then and Now!’

It’s a link between the past and the future you won’t want to miss. Be sure to stop in Paxton. You’ll enjoy the adventure.

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

Iowa 80 Truck Stop at Walcott, Iowa. This is billed as the world's largest truck stop and includes a museum with quite a few trucks. If you're there July 10-12 you can attend their truckers jamboree.

Don

Here is a quick trip to the ACD Museum; one of the best places on Earth: http://brockportinternational.com/AuburnWebPhotos/

ernie

This is just a few minutes off 80. You don’t want to miss out on it for sure. I feel like I am at home when I visit and don’t want to leave. There is a state park with an old lodge you can stay in that’s close to auburn. Its called Pokagon state park and was really cool in the 20s and 30s still is.

I agree the ACD Museum is well worth the trip. Next door to it is the National Auto and Truck Museum which is at the other end of the quality spectrum. I wouldn't recommend going in, unless the tickets were free.

The Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum in Auburn, Indiana is definitely one to not miss. It is in the beautifully restored large 1930 art deco Auburn Automobile Company's former administration building which is on the National Register of Historic Buildings. For someone interested in architecture the trip would be worth it to see the building alone. Contained is a large number of very significant cars and outstanding exhibits. Nearby is the Early Ford V8 Museum and the huge auction center, formerly Kruse's. Should your trip by chance be over Labor Day weekend you would also be treated to the annual ACD festival, with townspeople, the museum, the auction, and the ACD club collaborating to celebrate in this small depression impacted former automobile manufacturing town.

You could also visit the numerous tastefully done marque-museums clustered at Hickory Corners, Mich, much to see. Google could provide more info on these suggestions.

That for this post.. It looks great..

http://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/

I will need to add this to the list..

The Gilmore Car Museum is just twenty minutes from I-94 and US-131, located midway between Detroit and Chicago and a short drive from Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Battle Creek, and Lansing, Michigan.

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/news/chicago-to-get-new-auto-museum

http://www.chicagovintage.com/

post-97742-143142559514_thumb.jpg

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

If you have time traveling through Iowa swing through the Amana Colonies in eastern Iowa and eat at the Ox Yoke Inn or Ronnenburg Restaurant. In Des Moines The Machine Shed is at exit 125 is excellent and the servings are huge. Enjoy your trip. Bob Smits

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Haven't seen the National Auto Museum in Reno mentioned yet in this thread: http://www.automuseum.org

Non-automotive, it you hit I-80 west of the Sierra Nevada then you can take the old Donner Pass road, once part of the Lincoln Highway, from Norden on into Truckee for a much more scenic drive with only a little added time.

Bonneville Salt Flats were already mentioned in this thread. I find US 50 through Nevada to be a more interesting drive but will take a bit more time than I-80.

I haven't been on I-80 east of western Wyoming so can't give any suggestions further east.

Guest gricegear

You won't be disappointed in Gilmore museum. Top notch I think. They just keep adding more exhibits also. I plan to check out the Auburn museum soon. Good luck in your adventure. Sounds fun!!