Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

I guess I'm used to the larger cars and suv's I usually drive.

Thanks for the thanks, folks. The garage is nicely finished as you can see, and indeed it was a feature that I was looking for. It has a partly finished upstairs, as it has a barn like profile. I'm going to finish the loft section for storage of parts and a workshop. Plus it has natural gas heat in it. This area is traditional tobacco growing, and gas infrastructure was put in many years ago to facilitate the drying of tobacco leaves, because otherwise this is a very rural area, and one wouldn't expect gas infrastructure.

The downside is two fold, at 40 feet long, it will hold 4 cars max, but there is a wide stairway to the upstairs which takes away part of one spot. The other is that I'd really like a lift, and there isn't space. Also, there is only one car door, and I'm having another put in this spring.

The person that built it was a carpenter, and this was his main workshop.

So, later this year I planning build an extension on the back, as there is another 60 feet or so the back boundary of my property. The doors will go in the through the side, so that I don't have to move 3 cars to get one out.

I'll post a couple more pictures as its hard to describe. Otherwise I'm running the risk of being accused of sidetracking the thread!

When I get into the construction, I'll start a thread in the correct place.

Keith

• Like 2

If the dealer (Orlando Classic Cars) hadn't told me that my '35 Buick Series 41 had been sold to somebody in Spain, I'd swear that was it in the pictures above.  I still love that little car, but it was time to move on.

I had my '41 Series 71 Roadmaster out today, driving all over town.  It was a hot day, but she didn't get over 200.  I'm hoping when I change the thermostat housing to the 1948 style without the termostatic by-pass valve in it, that she'll run cooler, like 180.  I have a new radiator core.  I may check the timing too, just to be sure I'm not a little advanced.  But, she runs so good, I kind of hate to mess with the timing.

• Like 1

It was such a nice day here that its' hard believe that it is still winter! I was doing quite a number of errands, so I used the Reatta all day, and put about 75 miles on it. The AC even came on after it was parked in the sun for a while this aft. At that point my wife was with me and I wanted to put the top down, but she thought it was still too cold, which it was, really, but it does have a good heater.

Also, a couple of shots showing the garage, and the area behind it. It is 24 feet wide, 40 feet long. As you can see, there is a large space above the parking area, which is 18-20 feet wide in side. The two tall trees are at the property line. So there is space for more garage! According to the area planner she says that I can get the permit to build as well. Hope she's right, or at least still there when I come in with the plans.

Keith

ReattaFrost.jpg

Reattaoutside1.jpg

GarageBack.jpg

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

It was such a nice day here that its' hard believe that it is still winter! I was doing quite a number of errands, so I used the Reatta all day, and put about 75 miles on it. The AC even came on after it was parked in the sun for a while this aft. At that point my wife was with me and I wanted to put the top down, but she thought it was still too cold, which it was, really, but it does have a good heater.

Also, a couple of shots showing the garage, and the area behind it. It is 24 feet wide, 40 feet long. As you can see, there is a large space above the parking area, which is 18-20 feet wide in side. The two tall trees are at the property line. So there is space for more garage! According to the area planner she says that I can get the permit to build as well. Hope she's right, or at least still there when I come in with the plans.

Keith

ReattaFrost.jpg

Reattaoutside1.jpg

GarageBack.jpg

If we're going to start considering 80's and 90's cars as "old," then I'm going to start a post for every day I drive my daily driver to the QT for coffee, to the Sonic for a shake, to the hardware store, the vet's, the grocery store, and every place I drive it every day.  We need a definition of "old."

7 minutes ago, RivNut said:

If we're going to start considering 80's and 90's cars as "old," then I'm going to start a post for every day I drive my daily driver to the QT for coffee, to the Sonic for a shake, to the hardware store, the vet's, the grocery store, and every place I drive it every day.  We need a definition of "old."

Technically a car is classed as "Antique" (IMHO an "old" car) at anything 25 years and older.

Therefore, anything 1993 and older currently is an "Antique car". 

Doesn't seem possible to me at first either but...

When I look into the mirror in the morning, every now and then I have to stand back for a moment! :(

Not trying to start something just saying.

• Like 1

Though a 1990 vehicle has most of the niceties of a more up to date car, my car is 28 years old, which in most people's eyes, is old.  The BCA allows cars to enter that are under 15 years old, I believe, and other clubs I belong to accept current model year, minus 20 as eligible.

It's in the eye of the beholder, some think of teens and 20's cars as "old enough" but an fine old gent, a friend who is no longer with us, said about my '56 one day in about 2005, that he just can't see those 50's cars as old enough.

Keith

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dei said:

Technically a car is classed as "Antique" (IMHO an "old" car) at anything 25 years and older.

When I look into the mirror in the morning, every now and then I have to stand back for a moment! :(

Then I guess that I became an antique 46 years ago. ?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Buicknutty said:

just can't see those 50's cars as old enough.

Keith

Just to exemplify what this says about "in the eye of the beholder",

In 1968 Dad bought a 1951 Nash Canadian Statesman and when he drove it to our local Car Club gathering, the then current President and founder of our local Club (founded in 1954) said to Dad in front of the group (I was witness), "What the "H" did you buy that damned thing for?" 

Shoot, it was a 17 year old car then right? 

That was 50 years ago! 

Like I said, the mirror doesn't lie...:blink:

Now,

Hoping the weekend stretch of good weather will afford me an opportunity to grab the Special and dive around!

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

We need a definition of "old."

Rules?  We are the Buick Guys.  We don't need no stinkin rules.  Post away!

Speaking of which, regardless of my lingering head cold, I had to take the 56 out today as it is close to 52 degrees.  I really missed that car this winter!

0227181419.thumb.jpg.3d8871e50d11fd16dbf15aa2ba133ca5.jpg

0227181420a.thumb.jpg.31e544bebc698f9024a7c6e1ac4692b6.jpg0227181425a.thumb.jpg.212b536dfc85016fb9732ca91b2669b1.jpg

And just to prove we don't need no rules,  here's my definition of double trouble! I think they are both worthy of posting here, after all the 2013 is already 4 years "old".:lol:

0227181452a.thumb.jpg.503adb29de25bf90c58cf84e9acb1c8c.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

And just to prove we don't need no rules,  here's my definition of double trouble! I think they are both worthy of posting here, after all the 2013 is already 4 years "old".:lol:

NOTHING BUT SWEET HERE! :)

I did that several years ago too.

5a95ce8a684af_1958Buick-2000-pic2-Copy.thumb.jpg.1314ea491d57d7d86b923b9b7d8968ba.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, philip roitman said:

Shipped my 73 4 speed from NY to the Boca Concours. Drove it a little and had a great time. 

IMG_0757.JPG

IMG_0591.JPG

Entered my Roadmaster last year. Beautiful venue, had a great time 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dei said:

Morning Dei , I’m afraid I don’t agree also that anything over 25 years is a classic ,saying that devalues the term classic car .

I think the term classic car should only be used to describe a car era when the designs were substantially different and without affending many fellow members shouldn’t be used for anything younger than early 70s at least. Furthermore the sight of a classic car should be an event, here in Cyprus many of the locals can’t afford new cars and 80s and 90s cars are their essential transport and their everywhere and they don’t think their driving a classic car. They concur with me as when Ruby parked they take photos and toot when passing or shout nice classsic car mate.! ?

Riv nut, think 47 from my calcs was a classic year for us both ?

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)

23 hours ago, RivNut said:

If the vehicle was built in 1980 it would be 38 years old.   I'd say it's old.  If the vehicle is 20 plus years it should be considered old IMO.   

31 minutes ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Old doesn’t mean classic , I’m old but just old ?

True, old does not mean classic.   But if the title of the thread read "classic" instead of "old" there would be discussion on what is considered a classic and what is a jalopy.      If I recall, there was a long thread on what constitutes a classic car.  I do not recall the end result.   For me, the cars from the 50s is, in my brain, are the classics.     

8 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

True, old does not mean classic.   But if the title of the thread read "classic" instead of "old" there would be discussion on what is considered a classic and what is a jalopy.      If I recall, there was a long thread on what constitutes a classic car.  I do not recall the end result.   For me, the cars from the 50s is, in my brain, are the classics.     

50s do it for me too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elpad said:

After reading this article, one thing sticks in my mind when describing a classic. " If it wasn't special when it was new, why should it be special now."  Therefore, the title for this thread is correct.  "......old Buick....."  I would put old and antique in the same pot. If your state says that your car qualifies for antique plates, then by definition it's old.  Some of you are going to be able to claim your 25 year old car as an antique. If, like me, you live in Kansas, you're going to have to wait until your car is 35 years old. IMHO. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

After reading this article, one thing sticks in my mind when describing a classic. " If it wasn't special when it was new, why should it be special now." 

And yet, in these times, there is pent up demand for the simplest form of a marquee.  For our Marquee, look at the number of people who get excited over a Special with a base engine and 3 speed stick. 

Out of both of those articles I will subscribe to this statement:   So, unless you have a specific need to define your precious vehicle as a classic, like insurance or DMV registration, you can consider your car a classic whenever you choose to. In other words, if it’s a classic to you, then it’s a “classic”.

And for this thread  I continue to say;  anything that isn't "new" is technically "old" and therefore up to the poster if they want to write about it.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

And yet, in these times, there is pent up demand for the simplest form of a marquee.  For our Marquee, look at the number of people who get excited over a Special with a base engine and 3 speed stick. 

Out of both of those articles I will subscribe to this statement:   So, unless you have a specific need to define your precious vehicle as a classic, like insurance or DMV registration, you can consider your car a classic whenever you choose to. In other words, if it’s a classic to you, then it’s a “classic”.

And for this thread  I continue to say;  anything that isn't "new" is technically "old" and therefore up to the poster if they want to write about it.

Answer this then.  Are the cars to which you're referring just the ones that the owner happened to run across or was he out looking for it. 

Given there's no budget restraints, if you had had a choice, would you buy the  1953 Special 4 door sedan or the 1953 Skylark?  Remember, no budget restraints, and why did you choose what you chose?  

I consider any car I own a classic because I don't like driving run of the mill jelly beans.  

11 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Your Thread, Your Playground.

Just thrilled to be able to come in and play.:D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

Answer this then.  Are the cars to which you're referring just the ones that the owner happened to run across or was he out looking for it. 

Given there's no budget restraints, if you had had a choice, would you buy the  1953 Special 4 door sedan or the 1953 Skylark?  Remember, no budget restraints, and why did you choose what you chose?  

I consider any car I own a classic because I don't like driving run of the mill jelly beans.  

If it was between those two only I'd be on the Special if it was a stick shift.  Mostly because it could be driven everyday, to anywhere.  I like show cars but I don't really want the responsibility for one.  Now, if I really had no budget constraints, it would be another 66 GS with a 4 speed, with the intent to consume it.  Only in unforeseen circumstances would it see the inside of a trailer. Did we ever do a Dream Buick thread? 

Blink. 

What I really liked was the fact that the second link had a baby Buick convertible photo. 

Perhaps in print it it could be simplified - the CCCA defines Classic autos and for the rest of us, we can have our classic autos. I don't know how to pronounce the difference between upper and lower case c though. Perhaps we need to enlist the aid of Victor Borge's phonetic punctuation. 

• Haha 1

I think that we need to get the thread back on track. This is supposed to be about DRIVING one's Buick, not agreeing about whether or not its' "old enough". This thread was started by John, and he's made his point about "old".

I honestly do not know why I was so criticized for discussing driving around in my 28 year old Buick. In my part of the world a car from the early 90's that is still on the road, is pretty rare in and of itself.

But it would be good to get this back to what we are all here for, the appreciation and enjoyment of this remarkable Marque.

Keith

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Yep, took the  Buick for a drive and stopped by the State Inspection Station I use to get it inspected. Third time there this year, modern cars were due in January and February.  All three passed with no issues, so good to go for another year - yea!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, NC68Riviera said:

First car show of 2018 for The Aqua Zephyr, "Blood, Sweat and Gears" Car and Truck Show at the Rockingham Dragway, NC. .....

What a beautiful color and car! And as someone who's maybe not into the later 60's car as much, those Rivieras were just cool looking!  Looks great

• Like 1