Opinions requested, Property Manager deems old cars unacceptable.

MarrsCars

Hi all, I found myself in an unexpected situation yesterday when I came home to my building to find a notice from the Property Manager stating that vehicles with drip pans are no longer allowed to be parked in the underground garage. They said this is in an interest to keep the building "clean." The letter indicated I have until Oct. 1st to comply, by removing the pans and fixing the cause of the leaks, or remove my vehicle from the premises.

The building is a so-called "luxury high rise" and everyone here is a close knit community and get along well for the most part and we have a good number of collectables on site ranging from DeLorean, Morgan, Lotus, Porsche 356, TR6, and so on. The building owners walk past my car from their spots each day so they see my drip pans. They only served notice to me and the car behind me, a '34 Ford that is also using a drip pan, and one other nearby car they is leaking oil directly onto the concrete floor with no drip pan. I went out and did my own count and there are at least 17 cars that are dripping oil, and only mine and the are Ford making any effort to contain the spill. Logic would dictate to me that enforcing their own previous rule of "drip pans are ok to use" is sensible and would fix the spill problems if other owners bought them, but since it seems their issue was with the mere sight of drip pans themselves, that would be of no use. To fully address my leaks would involve a rebuild to the tune of $10k or so of engine and transmission. As many of us are seeing more and more of, owning an old car is like a target for some form of attack from those who may be uninformed or simply ignorant that many of these cars were dripping oil on the dealer showrooms. (That's a slightly off-topic point as well, if I had a Jaguar that leaked from the factory because they didn't have the ability to build the car otherwise, would it still be disallowed even tho there is no way to contain oil drips? That is borderline discriminatory.)

I am thinking that they do not understand that drip pans are commonly used and specially made for this use, these are not cooking pans or anything else being re-purposed. I'd like to hear if anyone else has had similar issues in the past and how you would recommend I deal with this. I have already sent a letter requesting that they allow some leniency and maintain the current policy or I may be forced to find a new residence as I will not street park this car. Thank you for any thoughtful replies.

Edited by MarrsCars (see edit history)

Marrs, I'm thinking that this is a situation where a large absorbent mat could be stretched tightly under the engine, held in place by some small bungee cords. If pulled up tightly, maybe they could not be seen from a distance?

I assume you do not drive these daily, so it might be a price you'll have to pay????

Hi all, to address your kind comments individually:

RW: Do you mean something that I would remove each time I leave, so it does not drip onto the floor? That may be a solution, but actually my coupe is my daily driver so it would be a bit of a headache, and this car is surprisingly very low to the ground. I can also see myself forgetting it one day and causing a fire with it against the exhaust, or the exhaust being too hot to allow it's placement when I get home. Gets me thinking tho...

R.White: I am thinking that they cannot actually institute this policy until my lease runs out next year, but then I will be in the same situation again as landlords are allowed to revise the agreement after the original lease expires.

Tom: That would be ideal and the regular pan fits fine, but they do not even want to see the drip pans under the cars!

I have appealed their decision and hope they will realize this isn't a viable solution, that's basically the point of a drip pan.

I would think this is unenforceable--how, exactly, do you guarantee that your car doesn't leak? Eventually, they ALL leak something. If it were me, and bear in mind I'm the kind of guy who likes to stick his finger in the eye of authoritarian types, I'd simply remove the drip pan and let the car make a mess on the floor instead. Pretend you don't see it, and let them deal with the consequences. I highly doubt they can throw you out over it, and at worst they may ask you to replace the drip pan and act responsibly, as you already have. I don't think it's reasonable to make a condition of living there that your car be in top mechanical condition. It might even be a form of discrimination (not really illegal, but what if you were poor and all you could afford was a leaky car?).

My advice is to do nothing until they force the issue. Let them hire lawyers and get all angry about it if they want, but until they do something within the legal system, you have nothing to fear. I have a hunch it's just a new property manager trying to show the tenants who is in charge, and in that case I'd remind him who pays his salary by removing the offending drip pan and letting him deal with the mess.

With all due respect, "They" make the rules and it's up to you to abide by them . . . as long as you might choose to live there. Plus, you might also add . . . "Subject to change", at management's discretion. The key issue is whether or not these "Rule and Regulations" are a part of your lease document or are a separate "agreed-to" document. Landlords, or their designated agents, can't alter legal lease documents, but they can change a separate "Rule and Regulations" document as they might desire.

Was there any mention of the City's Code Enforcement officer making a regular inspection of the property and noting the drip pan in your parking spot? With accumulated "hazzardous liquid residue" in it? If that's the case, then the landlord is required to see that the situation is addressed or fines can be levied for non-compliance . . . lease regulations or not.

You seem to indicate you feel you're being unfairly targeted by this action. That might be . . . and it might not be.

As long as little animals can freely roam the area, think cats in the neighborhood, rodents, or seasonal insects, they have the capability to walk through ANYBODY's drip pan and leave a trail of where they've been . . . with dripped oil which usually contains some kind of hazardous compounds/chemicals in it. Even good brakeclean products might not get the complete stain out of the concrete, although it'll get most of it.

Using the "defense" of "old cars leak oil as a matter of course" is not completely true, although it can be true in many cases. You state it would take a $10K repair job to completely fix your leaks, BUT I somewhat doubt that they couldn't be slowed or stopped with a little "ingenuity and modern sealers" for far less money and not really hurt the current value of the vehicle. Consider that when an engine runs, the oil is distributed thoughout the engine, but when it stops, it all drains back to the lowest point in the engine (the oil pan). Seems to me that some spray brake cleaner, some paper toweling, and some finger-applied sealer to the oil pan gasket area (and possibly re-checking the related bolt torques) might go a long way to helping the situation. Just as removing the road draft tube and getting it cleaned out might help, also. If it's a rear main seal issue, that would require some additional effort in replacing the seal by itself (I suspect it's a rope seal sort of item) "in car", which is how they used to be done "back when", in many cases. A front timing cover seal has other ways to be dealt with. In short, only gaskets/seals at or above the oil pan gasket level would probably need attention. In so many cases, "back then", the engines were NOT pulled from the chassis for lots of engine repair jobs, it was all done "in chassis". Might the oil pan drain plug need a new gasket on it, too?

I also know that oil can and will "wick" through cork or cork/rubber gaskets, with time. I also suspect that if you fully clean the area with brake cleaner that you can carefully apply a thin layer of modern silicone sealer in the gap between the two gasketed surfaces, then trim it to a minimum before things dry too far. Some of the "super black" sealers can probably work pretty well for this, I suspect. ALSO, when and if you do get the engine rebuilt and re-sealed, I'd recommend that y'all take each cork-type gasket and coat all FOUR sides of the gasket with a thin layer of the black silicone sealer and let it dry, before final assembly. This way, you'll still have your gasket but it will be sealed against the "wicking" action of the oil through the gasket, plus it'll be easier to remove, if needed, later on. That's the way I do all of my gaskets and everything stays dry.

Other options? Find a gated storage facility and rent a 10'x20' indoor space for the car. That way, you can continue to use your drip pan and the car will be secured in a locked building rather than in an open parking garage. But if the car is your "daily driver", that might not be a real option, unless you procurred a more modern car to drive every day.

You might feel like a "victim" of selective enforcement of an enhanced or changed rule, but as long as you live there, THEY make the rules and you and others must abide by them. Not unlike in your earlier years at home, with all due respect. No doubt, you might "raise Cain" and all of that, but consider that if YOU were in their shoes and somebody didn't desire to comply with "things", how would YOU deal with it (if the tables were turned)?

How might it look to a prospective tenant(s) if they walked through the parking area and saw oil drip pans in many parking spots, with "accumulations" in them? If it is a fancy place, it would be apparent that some "low rent" people might live there, so some prospects might look elsewhere as a result. What some might term "$30k Millionaires" who might want a fancy address but drive some old jalopy as that's all they have left to afford after paying the rent? Not that that's your situation, but any prospective tenant who doesn't know you might get the wrong idea, from "the observed evidence".

Obviously, you know the vehicle has a problem that you also don't seem too motivated to even TRY to address, but would rather pollute the parking spaces of the world (as a dog marking his territory?) with the hazzardous waste from your engine. I'm not a real environmentalist, but I ALSO know that "playing cars" does not give anybody the right to knowingly, openly, and needlessly pollute our environment . . . otherwise, we'd still be dumping used motor oil in vacant lots and such rather than recycling it at approved recycling centers. On the other hand, how'd we ever get this far without cupholders and seat belts?

With all due respect, you know you're going to have to do some sort of "fix" in this situation (some of which I've suggested above, so why not fast-forward ahead and just plan to see if you can get "something" done as soon as you can AND then get on with your life. Get this oil leak situation out of the way and be done with it. It'll be better, in the long run, to do it this way . . . from my own experience . . . as the longer you wait, the worse things can get (not to mention an oily vehicle underside!).

Hope you can figure something out . . .

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

I am involved in property rentals, although nothing like the multi-family hi-rise your talking about, but I understand the landlords concerns. I can assure you that your landlord is either dealing with complaints from other tenants or has been made aware, perhaps by new codes or a code enforcer agent of a potential hazard. Landlords are exposed to liabilities that renters are not, even if a tennant causes the problem..

At the top of the list for landlord headachs, I would say would be dealing with complaints from tenants about other tenents and clutter/trash in common areas: hallways, walkways, and parking areas. I can see several potential reasons, hazards and/or code violations. Regardless of whether fire or bodily injury ocurrs the landlord "knew or should have known" of the hazard. There may be a concern as to how you are disposing your collection of waste when the pan is full. Down the landlords drain? Dump it on the lawn? no no no. There may be a concern that someone will trip over your pan when your car is gone or pets, wild animals, or children may lick the pan or play in it. Yes, your neighbors should keep their pets & child on a leash but that doesn't relieve the landlord of any liability.

Hi, thanks again to all for continuing a thoughtful conversation.

Matt: We think a bit alike, should this continue beyond this stage and they remain immoveable, I have decided they will need to institute some form of legal proceedings against me so that I have a legitimate recourse. It could be discrimination of course but as I noted many of the leaking cars are high end vehicles, and I know that the on-site team likes me quite a bit so I don't think this is the case here.

NTX5467 (is that a tail number?): Good info and advice, but a little more info... the garage is secured and controlled access with no pets allowed in the building, so there is no chance for animals to walk through the pan. There are only a couple of kids here, the building is more seniors than anything, and children have no access to the garage without their parents. My space was specifically chosen to be on the very end of a row where nobody would walk through it, but it does happen to be right next to the ramp from a lower level where the management team parks, so they walk past my car daily and I was told that one of them saw the drip pan and thought it was "untidy." I think they probably are not car people and just don't like the looks of it, but then what next? They don't like the car covered in bumper stickers or, what about the truck in our row that has a broken side window with tape all over it, or the sloppy look of the car cover on the lovely TR6 roadster needs to go. There was no outside inspection or comments made by any government agency, etc., and this, as I understand, is a common fix for leaking cars in communal environments. I did inquire about the leaks when I bought the car and believe me, after $8k in mechanical work to date the leaks would be fixed if it were that easy. This car needs much work to address all the various little places fluid is seeping. Believe it or not, I have never had to empty the pan because the drips are so slow and mild that there really isn't any pooling of fluids, just lots of drops all over the pan.

The suggestions to remove the pans and use something else or just let it drip won't work because they said the drips need to be fixed as well as removing the pans. So the other cars in the building will also need to fix their drips, even if they don't use pans. They are not, at least as of now, intending to allow ANY cars that drip to park in the garage. I just don't think they realize how many cars that is going to be since they just served me and two others with the notices until I made a list of every space and vehicle that had oil drops. I truly think it's more akin to a landlord seeing some kid's pool toys left out on the deck, they are thinking "pick it up" but not realizing the full scope of this order as it pertains to so many other cars in the building. By law this rule must be applied evenly or it is discriminatory.

The building manager basically told me the owners/upper management walked by and didn't like how they looked, so as long as they intend to apply this rule evenly to ALL leaking cars, then I won't be able to do much of anything aside from either leave when my lease is up and thus amended, or leave after being served with an eviction notice.

Lots of good advice, alternative viewpoints and suggestions, thanks!

Yet another reason to never live anywhere with covenants which almost always mean ridiculous rules made by bored power hungry morons. I will never pay anyone to harass me!

My friend, you are preaching to the choir ... !!

I live in a subdivision that has a dues collecting, board of governors 'association' with covenants for all to obey. A great idea, if all follow the rules and a way to protect against owners who don't care about appearances. I will be the first to admit that I cross the line and violate one of the covenants by my one yearly infraction. Here it is:

I own a Cobalt 25' runabout and if I have to say so myself, it is slap beautiful on it's custom/matching tandem axle trailer. Each year when it comes out of the water for the season, I trailer it to my home to winterize and clean it up for winter storage, where I have access to water, power and tools. Try as I might, I can't haul it out, trailer it home, perform all the mtce. & cleaning in a days time. So it sits in my driveway over night. While it is there, I get alot of thumbs up and comments from the dog walkers and folks strolling by - never one complaint in person. In less than 48 hours, the boat is trailered to storage. Within a weeks time I get a registered letter from the association telling me which covenant I violated and how far I have fallen out of grace, yet a consistant set of other 'neighbors' can't seem to mow their yard, edge the grass, park as you are supposed to and limit the number of cars that can be parked over night on or near ones property. Then you have 'neighbors' that throw lawn clippings, yard debris, etc. over their fence on the common property and in full view of others sharing that same common property. Some 'neighbors' have so many cars that they park them on the grass next to the garage where a few of them have sat unused for months with grass/weeds growing up all around, now thats a nice look....

So John, I'm with you. Our next home will not be governed by anybody but the two of us...

Edited by DagoRed (see edit history)

Yet another reason to never live anywhere with covenants which almost always mean ridiculous rules made by bored power hungry morons. I will never pay anyone to harass me!

VERY much agreed! I do still have a rural home in the Midwest and while I haven't gone to it in over a year, that place is ideal for car lovers. Lots of space, everyone minds their own business, the whole shop and garage is there and a few scattered old cars. I gave up our home in suburbian Portland for this place as it was a nice change to have something more metropolitan and convenient to the things social and dining spots we enjoy, but... we see where that has landed me!

You can take the boy out of the country but you better not tell him what he can and can't do with his ride!

What about my STATE that has in the past and will most likely continue to propose such no leak legislation for all cars in the state. Most cars that use a rear main rope seal will start to weep after a few thousand miles--that's just what they do.

D.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

a) Could always do what Triumph did and put a sponge under the engine.

B) I live in a neighborhood with sidewalks and covenants and have five cars, a scooter, and an RV plus a few engines and such garaged.

c) Any time you have a rotating shaft with an oil filled galley on one side and air on the other eventually it will leak.

Marrs, thanks for the updates and additional information. The time is NOW to be looking for an alternative residence location. You might also check out any local city ordinances regarding cars and how they can be parked/stored on private property. When you go down to get the copy, pay in cash and ONLY give them your first name (does not care to give last name). It also might be good to use public transportation to go down there, for good measure. With that information, you can then know what you're dealing with (the rules of "how to play the game") and make some inexpensive "improvements" to any property you might find (single residence, hopefully).

In MANY respects, HOAs are something to be avoided if at all possible. Although many of their rules are somewhat reasonable and justified to protect the value of your and others' property, some of the people administering those rules/covenants can be "very particular" in their interpretation and leniency or "temporary exemption" of some rules, if at all. Many states have and are trying to reign-in their HOAs "right" to sell your property for non-payment of dues or assessed fines for non-compliance issues. But, in some of these areas, I guess it's the HOA which generates "the buzz" that keeps life interesting?

Take care,

NTX5467 ("5467" = model ID for Buick LeSabre Custom convertible . . . in North Texas)

Is there any way to make a less unsightly drip apparatus? How about an old Turkey carpet? Those things absorb an amazing amount of stains without showing them. That might do it. Spread a piece of plastic, cover with a layer of oil dry, and lay a cheap yard sale or thrift store area rug on it.

If they hassle you tell them it's your prayer mat and they are interfering with your religious observance.

I believe many HOAs are well meaning, but just end up mean. I have seen so many and not one made sense to me. One guy I knew lost a sale of his house because he had a volunteer tree of some sort in his back yard. Seems the HOA had put a lien on his house for having an unapproved, non-conforming species tree. The sale was ended literally at mid-closing. He did not find another buyer in time after taking care of the lien and subsequently lost it to foreclosure. It still sits abandoned, dead lawn, vacant and a small stump in the back yard. Humm, how'd that work out for the HOA morons? :confused: I'd bet they never thought they would have to deal with that scenario.

Not wishing to highjack the thread, but just to let John Bevins know that I appreciate just how rare his amphicar is in white.

Buh duh bump! Mr White! :) :cool:

BTW Boyz with Vigor has a black plastic drip pan that is almost invisible under a car. Of course you cannot tell if anything has dripped either but may not be all bad. Also have a black/grey rubber backed "garage mat" from Sam's Club that is about 20' x 10' and fits nicely under the Judge. Looks like a rug.

Is there any way to make a less unsightly drip apparatus? How about an old Turkey carpet? Those things absorb an amazing amount of stains without showing them. That might do it. Spread a piece of plastic, cover with a layer of oil dry, and lay a cheap yard sale or thrift store area rug on it.

If they hassle you tell them it's your prayer mat and they are interfering with your religious observance.

I'm with Ray on the thumbs up on this one. Fight fire with fire.

If all else fails, accuse the landlord of being racist, and not yielding to your freedom to practice your religion.

Tip off your local newspaper or news outlet while you're at it.

Of course I am being "a bit" facetious. But seriously, I would not hesitate to "think outside of the box" if you feel you are being backed into a corner. You know that "the other side" never hesitates to do so...

Edited by stock_steve
spelling (see edit history)

Do you want to continue to live there ?

If you do, it will be by their rules and not yours.That may sound harsh but it is reality

I don't buy this "give up" mentality. If you live there and pay their fees or whatever they want to label it, they should NEVER have the right to do as they please. Giving in is absolutely the wrong thing to do! If it's not right, then you should fight it and not give them absolute power. That is a "dictatorship" and should never be allowed or worse yet, encouraged by just laying down without a fight. This how change comes about and is also how power is controlled as it should be.

Absolute power corrupts, absolutely! This is reality.

The bottom line is they do not want drip pans or leaking cars in their lot. You can try working with them to seek a mutually agreeable fix. If everyone is reasonable that may work. If there are hidden agendas it most likely won't. In that case you have two choices. You can fight a legal and/or gorilla war with them, which will be costly, time consuming, and stressful for you ( not so much for them because they will be using YOUR money for THEIR lawyers). Or you can move to friendlier quarters............Bob

Owning a vintage car is just part of the fun. Having a decent workshop where you can work on the car is just as important. I struggled for years without a garage but now I have a place where I can escape from the hastle of life for a while. If you want to get the best out of antique car ownership you really need to work on finding a place with a garage of your own. I'm not saying it's cheap or easy but then nothing in life worth having ever is. Bet the first thing you would do would be to fix that oil leak and the drip tray would become a distant memory. Good luck.

Ray.

Guest John.McMaster

A friend of mine has a 'concourse' Rolls Royce that receives more love and care than his wife and children. He uses it from time to time for weddings and it has an oil leak that its probably had since built in 1929. He could not fix it and his problem was when he pulled up in an exclusive pristine driveway to pick up the bride the old girl would disgrace herself on the drive with just a few drips.

His solution was to wire a small shallow tuna tin under the leak out of sight (unless you prostrated yourself looking for it) and occasionally (few months) wiped it out. We were all highly amused with this solution but many have used it since.

John

Guest Foggy norm

From originally stated, other car's also oil drip without pan's. Get rid of tha pan and let it drip! If not restricted to one space, ah hem, move around, seem's you pay enough...so let them clean it up if it bother's them.

Hi All

A member of our club with a 25 Chrysler has made a metal tray that bolts under his rear main seal after many attempts to stop the leak.

If you build one on the right angle it will empty automatically when you accelerate hard thus saving you a hassle at home.

Of course this would never work on a stock standard 4 cyl. 25 Chrysler so you would have to empty it occasionally.

Beetles

I have a better idea. Find the property mangers parking area. When his vehicle is not there start with a few drops of oil. Continue to do this until he finds the drippings. Suggest a drip pan or advise he needs to get it fixed. Rules is rules. Watch him lose it trying to find the leak. Suggest that his new rule is out of line. He gets away with this he will ask the tires to be wiped off before entering the parking area.

Truth be told, another tenent complained. This is how it usually goes.

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

I have been silent while awaiting a response from management. It seems they have been giving the issue careful consideration and I received a reply today stating that they would like to meet with me next week to try and arrive at solution. Of course they don't have to do this so it shows a genuine interest in at least hearing me out and considering my suggestions. I have collected some of the best ideas here and brainstormed a few of my own, so maybe they will be willing to work with myself and the other drivers in finding an agreeable solution. I will post again once I have an official resolution on this one!

Also, to those suggesting I perhaps need a private residence with a garage space, I couldn't agree more. In an earlier reply I mentioned I have a home in the Midwest with a terrific garage space and work bench, but I now go there less than once a year. I gave up our home here with a garage for "high rise living" since I still have access to a buddy's garage, but this has gotten me really reconsidering that and how much I did enjoy my own garage space. That will likely be part of my extended plan for the coming years.

Edited by MarrsCars (see edit history)

Marrs, hope this plays out to your satisfaction. I bet you are planning on prepping this way but prior to the meeting I would:

Know exactly what the lease language is.

Have an accurate count of the other "leakers" in the covered parking area. List them and politely expect that if your being singled out, all others should comply as well. A big plus is that you are in a "car oriented" area, even if it is also known for being a bit "earthy, crunchy green"... Interestingly, these two factions seem to mix ok in your area. :)

I would indicate an appreciation for their willingness to meet, but not be overly appreciative. After all, you are (I am sure) a valued tenant and they are the ones taking your time with an issue that would otherwise not require the time and energy on your part to resolve. That said, some flexibility like maybe moving to an alternate but still covered space may make sense.

If all else fails, I would consisder taking that burdonsome MB off your hands so you don't have to move... :D

Guest Caribou

Talk to your fellow tenants, and get their weight behind you when you go to the landlord. They'll have a much more difficult time saying no to a group. Get a list of signatures, and get a group of people to bring them forward.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dereksbicycles

Why is oil leak such a big issue? See, if everyone in building had a 2000 Buick or Ford, that would be bland. You know just like everyone drive those things, you know. If you've a 1965 Chrysler, hey, that is cool. That is something different!! I would think other potential tenants would walk through garage and see, wow, there are so many classic cars over there!! I would like to live there and share my interest of classic cars with those people.

No resolution yet folks, but the meeting last week went well and they seem to genuinely be trying to come up with a practical solution.

Derek, you're right! That was actually one of the motivators when I checked this place out, I knew there were lots of car collectors and the ones I've met so far have been incredibly fun to chat with. One keeps me updated on local events and is a fellow AACA member, another is the President of the local Lotus club, just a great group of people.

As for those who think he should obey the rules, he IS obeying the rules. Someone else is trying to CHANGE THE RULES. Maybe you should tell those parties to obey the rules and not try to change them for their own convenience. Not even convenience really, just a whim. These dingbats want everyone else to spend hundreds of $$$$ or junk their car, because they don't happen to like walking past oil drips on a garage floor. Boo Hoo. If the repairs were coming out of their pockets I bet they could learn to like oil drips.