Cars in Movies, Wrong Tire Sizes

X-Frame

One thing that always irks me when seeing period piece movies is that when I see a car fitted with modern size tires. They stick out like a sore thumb to me and ruins the believability moment.

I recently re-watched "The Right Stuff" and one character is driving a 1953 Chevy BelAir Convertible. The tires were waaay to wide for this car... obvious modern radials. It came originally with 6.70x15 which equates in the next set as P205/75 with a tread width of only 5.8 inches. They are not only forgetting that the tread width seen on the movie car is about 2 inches wider but the width to height ratio also changes making them a bit smaller looking in sidewall height as well.

Another thing is aftermarket leather steering wheel wraps seen in 1950s period movies when I don't think they even came out until the 1960s.

These are what the movie industry call "continuity" issues and hire people to make sure things are correct. Apparently this slipped through.

Edited by X-Frame (see edit history)

Saw the movie "The Last Convertible", I believe, where it showed the driver of the car from the front. All of the cars on the street were period...40's. When they showed the driver from the side, the car went past all of these driveways where all of the modern cars, suvs and motor homes were parked, supposedly tucked away. You could see them clear as day. Talk about needing some editing...

The Industry doesn't care because the average person doesn't know the difference. It's only us intelligent car guys that notice this stuff. When I complain about some movie when the cops leave in an Impala, are shown on the road in a Plymouth and arrive in a Ford, my wife says "what difference does it make? They all look alike."

Guest Jim_Edwards

To me it's like game of seeing how many technical mess ups I can see during the course of a picture or TV show. It hasn't been that long ago that some TV show I was watching had the same guy in a sequence of scenes with three different sports jackets and ties. That sort of thing happens because they don't shoot scenes in script order and one scene may be shot days later from one appearing first. It's all about managing locations.

...or how every car is equiped with a Chrysler starter.

I have yet to see a movie or television show where that sound isn't dubbed in any time someone starts a hybrid car (almost always a Prius). Obviously in reality they start silently, which apparently isn't dramatic enough for many film editors. After you've driven a hybrid for a while this is one of the stupidest things you can hear, like hearing a Klaxton horn coming from a Lamborghini.:rolleyes::D

A personal favorite is when the luxury car plummets over a cliff and the car that bursts into flames is

a workaday model, years older. I completely understand the logic, financially and otherwise, but it's fun

to try to figure out what gets torched, crunched, or otherwise obliterated. It happens alot to '41 Buicks in

wartime flics, like 1942's In This Our Life, with Bette Davis and Olivia DeHavilland. During a high

speed chase, Bette's '41 Roadmaster ragtop goes thru a fence, down a not-too-steep embankment and,

naturally, catches fire. But the flaming overturned wreck has suddenly sported rear leaf springs!

1945's Conflict, with Bogart and Alexis Smith use both a '41 Limited and (likely) a Roadmaster convertible,

but saves money on destruction by using models of both cars in critical mountain scenes...

41_ltd1x.jpg

Larger

41_ltd1x_m1.jpg

Larger

41_ltd2x.jpg

Larger

41_ltd2x_m2.jpg

Larger

41_ltd6x_m4.jpg

Larger, the dastardly Bogie offs his wife by sending her Limited on an unexpected scenic detour.

41_rm4x.jpg

Larger, it sure would be nice to find one or both of those '41 Buick movie models!

41_rm3x.jpg

Larger

Definitely worth a watch the next time it's on TCM; I have to get better pics of the little Roadmaster.

TG

My absolute favorite is hearing cars in movies squeal the tires when they take off.....on a dirt road!!! Have seen that so many times that it becomes predictable......

Of course, in a lot of movie shots with stars in cars (before green screens and computer generated), the car is on a trailer going down the road...and there'll be twists and turns, but the driver never moves the steering wheel....

One has to suspend reality for so many movies, so I agree with the comment, most people don't care.........

Guest billybird

I love to look for that stuff too. However, I occasionaly see a vehicle with an AACA badge{s] affixed to the front. I look for that too.

Saw the movie "The Last Convertible", I believe, where it showed the driver of the car from the front. All of the cars on the street were period...40's. When they showed the driver from the side, the car went past all of these driveways where all of the modern cars, suvs and motor homes were parked, supposedly tucked away. You could see them clear as day. Talk about needing some editing...

That reminds me of the movie "Tora, Tora, Tora" (WWII Pearl Harbor invasion when the Japanese planes are flying over the island and you can see modern 1970s car profiles on the ground in parking lots.

Related is when I see things like pigtail cords on telephone receivers in 1930-1940s period movies.

The Industry doesn't care because the average person doesn't know the difference. It's only us intelligent car guys that notice this stuff. When I complain about some movie when the cops leave in an Impala, are shown on the road in a Plymouth and arrive in a Ford, my wife says "what difference does it make? They all look alike."

Seen this a lot in old 'B' movies.

I forget the name of the movie now, but there is a famous Civil War film where if you pay attention, you can see very modern wristwatches being worn by the soldiers.

I remember when I was younger seeing what I believe to be a black and white John Wayne movie.. a Western just the same, and on the hill you can clearly see a 1957 Ford!

To me it's like game of seeing how many technical mess ups I can see during the course of a picture or TV show. It hasn't been that long ago that some TV show I was watching had the same guy in a sequence of scenes with three different sports jackets and ties. That sort of thing happens because they don't shoot scenes in script order and one scene may be shot days later from one appearing first. It's all about managing locations.

This is where continuity comes in and the people paid to make sure this doesn't happen (their names are listed in the movie credits). Things from costume changes, hair and makeup, sets, even the placement of items.

Also things like car makes, colors, and appropriate items seen on the car such as tires, wheel covers, etc…

I also remember watching the infamous movie "Mommie Dearest" about Joan Crawford and when young Christina goes behind the bar to fix a visitor a drink, there is a trigger spray bottle of 409 cleaner in it. First off, 409 wasn't even invented until 1957 and trigger sprayers until the 1960s but wasn't even used much until late 60s. 409 came in squeeze bottles even up to and sure beyond 1967. The timeframe portrayed was in the 1940s.

I know people like Oliver Stone are sticklers for accuracy and James Cameron was a terror on "Titanic" making sure even screws on the door hinges were correct. Who would see them? HE would!

The fluff movie "Pearl Harbor" that came out a few years ago was eye candy but unrealsitic. Again, tires and wheel covers incorrect on some cars and let's get real... do you think "every" car you would have seen on the street in 1941 would have been squeeky clean and pristine?

Ever notice on "CHIPS" when the two policemen are riding side by side that they are actually both on a trailer?

They do that so they can 1) control the camera and 2) safety of the actors. Many scenes with moving backgrounds are cars on trailers.

A personal favorite is when the luxury car plummets over a cliff and the car that bursts into flames is

a workaday model, years older. I completely understand the logic, financially and otherwise, but it's fun

to try to figure out what gets torched, crunched, or otherwise obliterated. It happens alot to '41 Buicks in

wartime flics, like 1942's In This Our Life, with Bette Davis and Olivia DeHavilland. During a high

speed chase, Bette's '41 Roadmaster ragtop goes thru a fence, down a not-too-steep embankment and,

naturally, catches fire. But the flaming overturned wreck has suddenly sported rear leaf springs!

1945's Conflict, with Bogart and Alexis Smith use both a '41 Limited and (likely) a Roadmaster convertible,

but saves money on destruction by using models of both cars in critical mountain scenes...

41_ltd1x_m1.jpg

Definitely worth a watch the next time it's on TCM; I have to get better pics of the little Roadmaster.

TG

I think what you are seeing here is an early model design and not leaf springs but simply a rear axle support. Many of these models were "curbside" meaning they had no chassis detail. I know, I look for the chassis when cars go over cliffs or flips over. As you know the last year Buick to have leaf springs was 1937. This could also be the exhaust pipe as they ran on the outside towards the rear then.

The first time I heard about a movie or TV "mistake" was when I was fairly young, and I want to think it was about the TV show Bonanza.....here are the Cartwrights, riding around on their farm in eighteen-whenever, and you could see jet contrails in the sky above them!

I remember being an extra in a movie, time was set around 1912 in New Orleans. They even had period shoes for us to wear, something I bet very few people would notice nor care.

I think the first time I recognized an inconsistency in a movie was in "Bonnie and Clyde" where they pull into a gas station to get gas and Bonnie asks the service attendant if he knows what kind of car this is. He says something like, "It's a 1930 Ford Sport coupe" and Bonnie says, "No....it's a STOLEN 1930 Ford sport coupe." It is actually a roadster or cabriolet.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I think the first time I recognized an inconsistency in a movie was in "Bonnie and Clyde" where they pull into a gas station to get gas and Bonnie asks the service attendant if he knows what kind of car this is. He says something like, "It's a 1930 Ford Sport coupe" and Bonnie says, "No....it's a STOLEN 1930 Ford sport coupe." It is actually a roadster or cabriolet.

I have the movie and will take a look. I do know there were at least 2 differemt color 1930 Model A DeLuxe Roadsters in the movie - one tan and the other black or dark blue... need to look.

The first time I heard about a movie or TV "mistake" was when I was fairly young, and I want to think it was about the TV show Bonanza.....here are the Cartwrights, riding around on their farm in eighteen-whenever, and you could see jet contrails in the sky above them!

I remember being an extra in a movie, time was set around 1912 in New Orleans. They even had period shoes for us to wear, something I bet very few people would notice nor care.

I am sure that also happened a lot when the director isn't paying attention. Hey from a fellow Virginian (Richmond) :D

I think what you are seeing here is an early model design and not leaf springs but simply a rear axle support. Many of these models were "curbside" meaning they had no chassis detail. I know, I look for the chassis when cars go over cliffs or flips over. As you know the last year Buick to have leaf springs was 1937. This could also be the exhaust pipe as they ran on the outside towards the rear then.

Right X-Frame, the leaf springs I referenced were in a different flic on a '41 RM convertible,

not this Conlfict Limited model. Next time In This Our Life is on, I'll get pics of the RM.

The film is memorable as the first time I saw it was on a big-screen at a NYC revival house,

back in the mid-'80's. Great fun!

TG

Micheal J. Pollard. "It's a Ford 'Coopay'." Warren Beatty, "No, it is a stolen Ford 'coopay'."

In the movies, all motorcycles are either two strokes or sound like an HD.

I recall a movie that I saw many years ago, that had a scene showing an old "rail job" leaving the starting line. They dubbed in the sound of, what was probably, a 30s Packard running through the gears. Hilarious.

My favorite bit of movie and TV idiocy, besides bullets that spark, is, what I call, The Magic Wires. All cars have them. They are accessed by breaking the tempered side glass with your fist or elbow and entering the car. By reaching under the dash, one can yank out a bundle of wires that resembles an electricians recycle bin. Giant wads of THHN copper wire. Within this mass of random length wire, lies The Magic Wires. Two wires that are bare at the ends. By rapidly scratching them together, like a Boy Scout starting a fire, the car, magically, starts with a magnificent display of sparks, left over, I suppose, from some unused bullets. The Magic Wires also disengage the steering and transmission locks. I know you're supposed to suspend disbelief but come on guys. Some of us know better

I was always amazed at how the crooks (or goodguys trying to chase the crooks) knew just where to grab and which wires were the ones they wanted. I guess they knew the common color codes??? Plus how quickly and easily the cars started!

If the car cranked, cranked, and didn't start, there was usually somebody standing nearby with the distributor rotor or a gas can. Guess they didn't have a chase scene budgeted?

Getting a little more modern, there used to be some C-level mafiaoso movies on early am weekend television. In one scene, there's a chase in the desert near Las Vegas. Several upper-scale 1955-56 cars (Oldsmobiles, Cadillacs, maybe a Buick, too) who were "caravan chasing" each other on a winding road. All of the windows were down on the 4 dr hardtops, which looked kind of neat, but it was apparent the vehicle speed was more like 30mph than 60mph. Dubbed-in engine sounds (like they were in low gear at 4000rpm+) and tire noise. NO lost wheel covers! But a driver got too sloppy and crashed through a wooden guard rail and "over the cliff". Sometimes, the car would blow up in mid-air, other times, after it'd already crashed. "Orchestrated dramatics".

These were the movies which usually followed Saturday night wrestling . . . other "orchestrated dramatics" (although we didn't believe they were "fake" back then).

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Guest Skyking
I have yet to see a movie or television show where that sound isn't dubbed in any time someone starts a hybrid car (almost always a Prius). Obviously in reality they start silently, which apparently isn't dramatic enough for many film editors. After you've driven a hybrid for a while this is one of the stupidest things you can hear, like hearing a Klaxton horn coming from a Lamborghini.:rolleyes::D

Speaking of Pruis's, how about Larry David running out of gas with his in an episode. :eek: What's with that??

I'm glad we all like movies and can find the errors in the vehicles. If you watch for factual representation of history you will find lots more errors.

We should pay that close attention to political ads, talk shows and opinion shows, which are full if intentional misrepresentations. (Even the TV Car Auctions)

The sport of finding mistakes in movies can apply to all media, heard, read or seen. Makes it interesting! Kind of like the myth that all Model T Fords were black, which lives on in infamy.

Speaking of Pruis's, how about Larry David running out of gas with his in an episode. :eek: What's with that??

That was actually a very common problem in Priuses when they first came out and everyone was a novice hybrid driver. The thing is, if you don't drive a lot of miles the car uses so little gas it was not unusual for some people to forget all about gas.:)

===============

One of my favorite movies screw-ups of all time is the entire onscreen run of the Burt Reynolds movie White Lightning (1973). In it his character is given a 1971 Ford Galaxie 500 that the police have supposedly modified with a floor-shifted 4 speed transmission (in addition to a lot of other performance equipment). Throughout the movie anytime Burt stops the car he obviously (and with flourish) grabs the column shifter and puts it in Park! :rolleyes:

Also at one point the dashboard is shown several times, showing him doing well over 100 mph on the speedometer. Unfortunately at the bottom of the frame the dash shift indicator (which shouldn't be there in the first place) clearly shows the car to be in Park.:rolleyes:

In the movie, Seabiscuit, there is a sceen where a styled John Deere D is grooming the track and stalls. It sounds like a Model A Ford starting, and someone crudly shifting it off of the track. Everyone knows that old John Deere tractors go Putt- putt- putt, and not Vrrroooommmmmm, Vrrroooommmmmm. Even young childern reconize that unmisakable JD sound. LOL.. Dubbing was pretty lame. :P Dandy Dave!

Right X-Frame, the leaf springs I referenced were in a different flic on a '41 RM convertible,

not this Conlfict Limited model. Next time In This Our Life is on, I'll get pics of the RM.

The film is memorable as the first time I saw it was on a big-screen at a NYC revival house,

back in the mid-'80's. Great fun!

TG

There is a horrible YouTube clip of the crash scene pieced together as a joke clip about speeding. It shows the Buick going over but I can't make out the car that is seen rolling. I do know that if this is a "real" car it is NOT a Buick. I say that (hence my user ID)... the one rolling did not have an X-Frame - more in line with a Chevrolet of the era instead. Chevy was the only GM model that didn't use the X frame extensively prior to the 1958-1964 run except on convertibles after 1939 and one other exception, the 1935 Standard.

Almost all cars between 1932-1960-ish had X frames except a few brands. By 1965 almost all cars abandoned the X except for Buick Riviera (until 1970) , the Checker (until 1982), and a few other specialty cars and foreign makes.

Eric