Rarest Truck

cutlasguy

1947 FORD TRUCK SELLS FOR $800,000.00

These pictures show a 1947 ford 1/2 ton pickup truck from Whitby , Ontario ,

Canada that was just sold to FORD MOTOR COMPANY of Detroit , Michigan , USA

for the sum of $800,000.00, plus a new Ford F 350 dually truck.

This truck, according to Ford records, is one of only 35 that was ordered

and built in 1947 with factory installed.... McCulloch water cooled

supercharger, special carburetor, and special very low profile air cleaner

for the McCulloch, due to hood height problem. When installed, intake has

lower carb mounting height 'special supercharger intake', (see above air

cleaner) Edmunds finned aluminum heads, Fenton cast iron headers, factory

dual exhaust.

OTHER OPTIONS ORIGINALLY INSTALLED ON THE TRUCK: Sliding rear window,

installed outside sun visor, vacuum powered dash fan, factory compass,

ashtray, smokers kit, locking steering column, dome light, inside sun

visors, bumper mounted fog lights, some form of factory cruise control with

knob & wire in dash.

This truck was started to be restored by Dave Hill. Dave and his father Len

purchased the truck from the farmer who was the ORIGINAL OWNER, and who

ordered it equipped as it is, new in 1947.

Dave has added his own custom touches like the early luggage rack metal box

in pickup bed rear, blue dot twin taillights and other details. Metal

covered the spare tire cover.

What makes this truck so rare and valuable? As one of ONLY 35 documented

"originally built", it may be the only one remaining with original numbers

matching example that can be authenticated and was by a team of Ford museum

employees before the offer, and the purchase was made. Apparently there

'might be' two other survivors that are in pieces, but cannot, or have not,

been authenticated.

post-50838-143138779884_thumb.jpg

post-50838-143138779886_thumb.jpg

post-50838-143138779887_thumb.jpg

post-50838-143138779889_thumb.jpg

post-50838-143138779891_thumb.jpg

post-50838-143138779893_thumb.jpg

I live in a slow speed residential area, but 3 days ago the darndest thing happened. They had cordoned off the street I usually take because of an accident. Seems a 1922 Huffman truck was travelling at high rate of speed (25 in a 15), when someone ran the stop sign causing a pretty nasty accident. After the dust had cleared, it was clear that a 1918 Huffman delivery was the culprit who did not stop. The Huffmans were parade vehicles, but old timers always said they should not be driven, due to safety issues!

When I was a kid, my friend and I would hop on our bikes and go looking for old cars. An old guy in Sun Valley, CA had a stash of stuff in his back yard. Right against the fence was an ALCO truck. It was complete and in pretty good shape. Probably would have run with some tinkering. I wonder if it's the same truck? Who knows?

Guest Nancy DeWitt

I've found several old photos of this ALCO truck hauling lumber near the Perseverance Mine outside of Juneau, Alaska. Any idea what year the truck is? Would sure love to find it in someone's shed...

post-58418-143138781023_thumb.jpg

I'd go back and find that ALCO! The one I see every year has been on the East Coast since new, think it has had only four owners. :)

When I was a kid, my friend and I would hop on our bikes and go looking for old cars. An old guy in Sun Valley, CA had a stash of stuff in his back yard. Right against the fence was an ALCO truck. It was complete and in pretty good shape. Probably would have run with some tinkering. I wonder if it's the same truck? Who knows?

Guest Nancy DeWitt

Anyone know of any other Duplex trucks? We have this 1918 Duplex Model AC flatbed, powered by a Buda 4-cylinder L-head. The Duplex Power Car Company (later Duplex Truck Co.) claimed their trucks were the first commercially viable 4x4s in the United States.

post-58418-143138782672_thumb.jpg

Nancy, yes there is another Duplex truck! It is owned by one of our board members and has been shown at our meets. It is a unrestored 1917 Duplex with a dump truck body. It causes quite a commotion at our meets.

Naturally, trying to say what is the rarest may be futile as there are quite a few trucks and cars that have only one example that still survives.

Thankfully they do survive!

I live in a slow speed residential area, but 3 days ago the darndest thing happened. They had cordoned off the street I usually take because of an accident. Seems a 1922 Huffman truck was travelling at high rate of speed (25 in a 15), when someone ran the stop sign causing a pretty nasty accident. After the dust had cleared, it was clear that a 1918 Huffman delivery was the culprit who did not stop. The Huffmans were parade vehicles, but old timers always said they should not be driven, due to safety issues!

Obviously Huffman trucks are not quite the rarest, Perry, but a prang between two of them, both approaching 90yo in this day and age must be a very rare collision. We must only hope it ruined no friendships.

• 8 months later...

There aren't too many Peerless trucks in the U.S. One source says 1, another says 0. Considering that it was one of the earlier trucks in the U.S. Army inventory, that's very surprising. Maybe an obscure Army post has one in their museum or motorpool! Some Peerless trucks with military pedigrees do survive in the U.K., Ireland, and South Africa.