Sad loss of one of our fellow BCA members.

Centurion

I have just received some messages from "Motorama" author David Temple regarding BCA member and 1959 Buick owner Charles Barnette.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="90%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD>Quote:</TD></TR><TR><TD class=quote>Hi Brian. I just received some bad news. Charles Barnette passed away a few hours ago from a heart attack at his office. I thought you would want to know. He mowed his yard on Friday - it's been very hot in Texas - and he felt like he may have had a heat stroke. Unfortunately, he didn't go to the doctor - only decided he should moments before the heart attack. Earlier this morning he emailed me in response to my Texan article. What a shock.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Many of you will recognize Charles' name from his efforts to research and preserve the history of the 1954 Buick Landau. Charles helped bring the car to the forefront of our attention here, and took great initiative to contact the family of the car's first private owner (the Blair family). As a result, the Buick community gained priceless photographs and history of this significant Motorama Buick. Charles was also instrumental in re-uniting the Landau with its original silver beverage set and in replicating the original, turbine-style wheelcovers that were stolen decades ago.

I was very grateful to have met Charles at our big 1959 Buick 50th anniversary event in Colorado Springs during 2009. Charles was wildly enthusiastic about our cars and the event, and contributed significantly to making it the special occasion that it was.

As a result of Charles' encouragement and initiative, David Temple has been researching the history of the 1959 Buick "Texan" show car, and we hope that David's article about the Texan will be published in one of the national collector car magazines during the future.

David has promised to keep me posted regarding a memorial service and opportunities for charitable donations.

Guest Kingoftheroad

That is so sad, I'm sorry to hear it. I hope his family will make it ok during this tough time...

Guest South_paw

Wow, that's a shocker. I knew of him through the Cadillac Club and would have to say that when it comes to cars, "wildly enthusiastic" described Charles best. He will be missed.

Edited by South_paw (see edit history)

On behalf of our North Texas Chapter, we extend our condolences and our prayers to Charles' family in this difficult time for them. I suspect that we might not have fully known about the '54 Landau if it had not been for Charles and his many efforts.

Regards,

Willis Bell 20811

Chapter Director, North Texas Chapter

My only exposure is from reading his posts on the Landau, he seemed to be quite the man with the knowledge on the vehicle. I wish I could've had the pleasure of meeting him as well as all the others. My condolences to the Barnette family in this trying time.

This is terrible news this morning. I communicated with Charles extensively about the Landau and so enjoyed his enthusiasm and witty and clever expressions and style of describing the car and everything about it. I had so hoped to meet him some day.

A person I am truly glad to have had the chance to share some talks and laughs with. Another word that describes Charles is generous. He would give you the shirt off his back if you asked for it. He went to great expense just to obtain the Landau just to display it for a few days at his Texarcana show room. I just can't say enough about this man. He will be sorely missed. May you rest in peace Charles, we all will miss you.

Thanks for sharing Brian.

I cried when I read this post. I was present with Charles in 2008 when the great Landau Reunion took place at his Auto Museum in Texakana, TX. I immediately became attached to him. He had such a strong charisma. I have never met anyone before or since with as much passion to the old car hobby. Buicks were his favorite. Below is a picture of him with Robert Blair, the son of the original Landau owner, and Larissa, the Motorrama girl for the day. Also, although Mr. Earl could not be there in person, he sent a picture of his 1954 Collection. Charles insisted I take a picture of his fleet with the Landau so Mr. Earl could be there in spirit.

The article on this Landau event is in the March 2009 Buick Bugle. It is worth reading again.

post-31046-14313856942_thumb.jpg

post-31046-143138569437_thumb.jpg

post-31046-143138569453_thumb.jpg

Edited by TxBuicks (see edit history)

What a shock. I'm glad I got to meet him once. His father died only a year or so ago. He was the impetus behind the Tex-Ark Automobile Museum in Texarkana, Arkansas, which survives only on donations (no entry fee) in a restored downtown building there. I visited it last summer. Memorial contributions to that small museum might be appropriate. It is small, but very well done--has the look and feel of a 1920s automobile repair garage.

Pete Phillips

Pete and Brian are correct. The Tex-Ark Antique Automobile Museum was a passion project from the Barnettes. They charge no admission, just a donation jar by the door. They didn't own many cars, so they would solicit the owners of classic cars to show them there, at no charge. I can't think of a better cause to donate to.

post-31046-143138569541_thumb.jpg

post-31046-143138569558_thumb.jpg

post-31046-143138569575_thumb.jpg

Edited by TxBuicks (see edit history)

Guest Roger Booth

My name is Roger Booth. I grew up with Decker. Here is the link for his memory on facebook. Please leave your thought here for him also. We were in the Four States Antique Car Club together. I have a 1924 Buick Double Service Sedan. See link below

https://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_155250744543104&ap=1

thanks, Roger..we miss him..BUT Decker was a good Christian man and I know he is in Heaven with out Lord!

Guest Roger Booth

Bye the way...I enjoyed my time with the 1954 Buick Landau Motorama car while it was in our museum!

My name is Roger Booth. .. Here is the link for his memory on facebook....

https://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_155250744543104&ap=1

...!

Always sad to hear of loss like this, but especially so about Charles. One could tell by his writing that he was passionate about what he was involved in, and one can tell online that he was very well loved....

I'll raise a toast to you Charles.... A Landau toast... to a life well lead on earth...and a lasting Peace in Heaven... Till we meet for the first time....Cheers!

Roger, thank you so much for the link and your comments.

I have received a reply from Charles' secretary:

He was such an awesome man, I am still trying to accept that he is gone. I will miss being a part of his world and the things that he held such passion for, most importantly, his cars. You all were so important in making him smile every day. Charitable contributions can be made to the Four States Auto Museum here in Texarkana or to his lifelong church, Beech Street First Baptist Church.

The Four States Auto Museum is the same as the Tex-Ark Museum mentioned above. Here is the link, with specific instructions on making tax deductible contributions:

Four States Auto Museum - Home

Mr. Barnettes impact was furthered by this forum. I don't know any other member, thank goodness, that was active on this forum and then passed away.

That is his legacy in my small world. That I was introduced to him through this forum where maybe in a different generation or a different time in our hobby, we would not have known each other.

1008596x.jpg

To you Charles,

So long my friend, thanks for all the poetic words about the Landau. We shared a love, you, Bob and I, for the most fabulous Motorama car ever. I'm smiling through my tears, as I never saw you without a smile on your face. Gods speed my friend.

1008610.jpg

I had the pleasure of meeting Charles in Colorado Springs. If you thought his posts were enthusiastic, well, they definitely came from the man as he was brimming with life.

I got another opportunity to spend some online time with him when he bought Copper Top, since it was originally purchased here in Winnipeg. I wound up learning a bit of Winnipeg history and the dealership history. Who can forget how excited he was about having a unique Canadian Buick colour combination on that car that wasn't available in the USA?

In some respects, I must admit I thought of him as a bit of an odd duck, but he never had anything remotely hurtful to say and, as previously mentioned, he was so full of enthusiasm and vitality for life. I have great respect and admiration for traits like that.

If Copper Top doesn't go into the museum, I'd be honoured to be first in line for it between its local history and the reminder of the excitement of a man with a passion for the car.

Here's a bit of background regarding Charles and his 1959 Invicta "Copper Top".

When Charles was in the fourth grade during the 1958/1959 school year, his father arrived after school one day to pick Charles up in the family's new 1959 Invicta 4-door hardtop, finished in solid Arctic White with Copper Glow interior.

Charles dug up an old photo of his younger brother and the family cat on the '59 Invicta:

invicta_-_barnette.jpg

When I first began to correspond with Charles, he shared his fond memories of the old '59 Buick. His father traveled extensively, and the Buick had racked up some 200,000 miles by 1965. His father replaced the car with a smaller '65 Pontiac Tempest, but always missed the '59 Buick. The last time the '59 Buick was spotted, its next owner zoomed past the Barnettes' Tempest at a high rate of speed on the Interstate, and vanished into the distance.

When Charles learned of our '59 Buick 50th anniversary event in Colorado Springs, he was eager to join us and recapture memories of his family's '59. Charles told me that I would recognize him by his snake skin cowboy boots, and, in fact, it was impossible to miss him. All of us who met Charles could not help but be impressed by his smile, his joyful spirit, his appetite for fun, and his unbridled enthusiasm. He brought all sorts of wonderful '59 Buick models and memorabilia to display at our gathering, and led those gathered around him in a chorus of the old Medallion's hit -- "Buick '59".

Charles was particularly eager to sit in Tom and Sally Liddy's Invicta, with the same Copper Glow interior and clear plastic seat covers he remembered from his dad's '59. One of my fondest memories is that Charles and I took my '59 Buick out for a drive on the freeway, with Charles in the driver's seat and experiencing a '59 Buick on the road.

Charles commissioned professional model builder (and '59 Buick owner) Paul Hettick to replicate his family's old '59 Buick in 1/25-scale. Paul even experimented with several techniques to make the Copper Glow Invicta interior appear to have clear plastic seat covers.

p1020689.jpg

When an Arctic White Invicta 4-door hardtop was offered on Ebay, equipped with the Copper Glow interior and the Canada-only Copper Glow roof treatment, Charles and I discussed that it was unlikely that another nice '59 Buick would turn up that so closely matched his family's former Invicta. Charles was thrilled to acquire and enjoy his beloved "Copper Top", and was able to take his ailing father for a few rides in the Buick before his death.

David Temple shot a few photos last year of "Copper Top", and we included one in our 2011 '59 Buick calendar.

coppertopi_original.jpg

coppertopii_original.jpg

Yes, truly a shock. I had never met Charles but spent quite a bit of time on the phone and emails discussing the Landau. He was a great help in the research of the car and had it not been for him, the wheel covers and bar set would have never been reunited with the Landau. I, for one, will make a generous contribution to the museum in Texarkana. Very sad day.

Bob Coker

Guest Roger Booth

Greetings from Texarkana,

In reading the post I can tell all of you felt the same was about Charles Decker Barnette as we do here in Texarkana. He worked constantly putting together programs for the monthly meetings, raising funds, going before the city board in our behalf so on and so on. He was at just about every board meeting we had for years. What a great guy. I think donations to the museum or car club will please him greatly!

Thanks for your part in his life!

Roger Booth

Pete Phillips and I went to Texarkana once to see a car for sale. Charles met us there driving Copper Top. It was the highlight of the trip, as the car for sale wasn't all that. We took these pictures of Copper Top. It was mostly original and a spectacular Buick. Charles loved it.

post-31046-143138571167_thumb.jpg

post-31046-143138571172_thumb.jpg

post-31046-143138571175_thumb.jpg

post-31046-143138571179_thumb.jpg