Healthy numbers at the RM auction yesterday

Guest South_paw

Yes, the numbers are impressive, but what caught my eye right away (and went through my mind right at the same time), is, why can't Barrett-Jackson have this variety and percentage of "non-muscle" cars cross their block while the cameras are on?

No offense to those who have them (and I count many friends who do), but the percentage of cars seen on B-J outside of all muscle (Camaros, Hemi's, Mustangs), Corvettes, tri-five Chevys and T-Birds, is damn paltry. Wouldn't be surprised if the number isn't eight or nine cars out of ten seen on B-J fall into those categories just mentioned.

Wonder if R-M could strike a deal with Speed or some other network, to show their auction. Wouldn't have to be nearly as extensive in terms of number of hours--at this point, I'm even willing to say that I'd rather see recorded coverage with these cars on this link, rather than the same old stuff B-J has been showing for about the last five years.

Guest Silverghost

Re B-J auction :

This is the wrong auction venue for the true Antique, Brass Era, and full Classics.

Those that do cross the block at B-J sell for a fraction of what they would sell for at auctions like RM .

B-J has morphed into a musclecar, streetrod/hotrod, and dare I say it...Restomod auction today.

The buyers are not there for the Antiques, Brass, & Classic cars.

Those that do consign these type of cars are in for a big let-down. They will loose their shirts on those consignments !

Most sell for far less than their restoration costs at B-J !

Funny thing is Tom Barrett and Craig Jackson's dad who started this auction in the first place were real Antique, Brass, And Classic car guys !

And the B-J auction sold the very same sort of cars RM sells today !

Craig and his merry men have changed all of this~

They changed their basic auction.

B-J knows their market and their buyers !

They are no longer Antique, Brass, and Classic buyers !

I suspect they don't want these sorts of cars on Speed TV also !

BJ & I suspect Speed TV seem to only want to promote & push specific type of cars !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

Guest Silverghost

Well TG57roadmaster if you had really read post #2 above the question was asked why B-J could not show more of these sorts of cars on TV Speed channel !

This was my answer to post #2 !

Thus my "drivel-puff" as you so nicely put-it !

For the record~

I am no fan of the B-J Auction three ring circus !

It is NOT an auction for Antiques, Brass, And Classics.

It is NOT an auction for Antiques, Brass, And Classics.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

So tell me SOME thing I (and most everyone else here) don't already know; again,

what does B-J venting (however admirable it is) have to do with prices at RM's Robson's sale?

TG

PS, nice editing job of your post, too, it's practically comprehensible,

unlike the one it began as. Cute trick!

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

Prices such as this are indeed good news provided you are either in the auction business or the automobile restoration business. For the rest of us its just another reminder of how far out of reach the "dream" cars of our hobby have become. There are several cars on the auction list that I could have at one time realistically considered becoming an owner of say a #3 condition example. Obviously in my case this is no longer true. I realise the cost of a professional show level restoration is out of this world, but somehow it's a little discouraging to see these cars sell for these amounts. They have become status symbols for the wealthy. For the remaining 90% of us they have become objects we will only know through web sites and magazines.

I best go back and see what the heck that is. Only a half dozen Pre War cars in the collection, that is what I looked at. :)

The RAIV Judge conv price absolutely blew me away. But, everyone should remember that many/most of these cars were ultra ultra rare and impeccably restored. The prices for average non-rare stuff is still going down.

I best go back and see what the heck that is. Only a half dozen Pre War cars in the collection, that is what I looked at. :)

Bob I was always a muscle car guy as a youngster and my High School car was a 69 GTO conv so I have a soft spot for that RAIV car. But as I'm getting older my interests are more and more prewar. I'm going to get a much bigger charge out of a 32 Huppmobile then a 69 GT500 these days. That is one reason I don't agree with the argument that the older cars will lose favor once the generation that knew them as kids dies off.

Sorry if it was a "tangent" that I went off on regarding B-J; was just looking at the variety of the cars in the pictures from the RM link, and it struck me as how entertaining it would have been for me, and many others who frequent this forum, I'm sure, to see THESE cars being bid on, as opposed to the usual fare at Scottsdale, et. al., by Barrett-Jackson.

Didn't mean to "poison" the conversation, by venting about this; perhaps that is "getting old", as well, but for what it's worth, the numbers were well beyond what my expectations would have been, even for the fine-looking cars that appeared on the link.

That being said, I am glad that my comments, for whatever they were worth, generated even more conversation about the original thread, even if it was to a minor degree.

Publicity is good for the hobby but I can't help but wonder if TV coverage and all the associated antics that go with that is just what an auction like RM does not need.

B-J just changed course and became more interested in orienting their operation around TV and lifestyle offerings. No big deal. This just means serious collectors go elsewhere. The success of RM and a couple of others shows there is a market for premium collectible cars in a more "conventional" auction setting. That is a good sign for the hobby and the reason RM auction results are relevant to a lot of us here.

I always enjoy car auctions. Been going to them since I was 12 with my grandpa(i'm now 55) B-J has made them popular and made every non-car person think their old piece o' crap is worth huge money "cause I seen one just like it sell for $100,000 on B-J"

Thats my only beef with tv coverage of car auctions. It's a TV show not a car auction, folks

Milt Robson also had or has a rodded '32 Model 900 Convertible that wasn't offered at the auction.

In my opinion, that car (Packard 900) is as far as you could ever go in a street rod. Nothing else compares, and they did it without chopping or channeling the body.

As for the question about anyone every hearing of Milt Robson, I'd have to guess that anyone and everyone who has ever owned a muscle car in the past 20 years has heard of him. For at least 20 years, he and a few others have been THE top muscle car collectors.

Guest ROCKYVOSS

I am wondering if the big prices for the pontiacs and oldsmobiles was due to the fact that they dont make them anymore? Could have been dealers trying to corner the market on these rare cars. Just a thought.

Rocky Voss

I am wondering if the big prices for the pontiacs and oldsmobiles was due to the fact that they dont make them anymore? Could have been dealers trying to corner the market on these rare cars. Just a thought.

Others can chime in, but IMO big money for Olds & Pontiac is about their being musclecars, not Olds and Pontiacs. Regular (non-muscle) Olds and Pontiacs do not generally bring especially big money.

However, I admit that does not explain the gold Trans Am, I am still scratching my head about that one. FULL DISCLOSURE I am a big Pontiac and Trans Am fan. Todd C

Others can chime in, but IMO big money for Olds & Pontiac is about their being musclecars, not Olds and Pontiacs. Regular (non-muscle) Olds and Pontiacs do not generally bring especially big money.

However, I admit that does not explain the gold Trans Am, I am still scratching my head about that one. FULL DISCLOSURE I am a big Pontiac and Trans Am fan. Todd C

The were not just musclecars. They were the top of the mountain for certain types of musclecars.

WOW! Just read the post and comments today. What a mess we have in the antique, classic car hobby or should I say business. Thankfully we still have preservationist out there that keep the old school ideas and values alive. I, like others, have no time for B-J or auction houses that drive up the costs of over restored vehicles to the max. They are in it for one reason, money. Sellers, buyers, advertisers, shareholders, vendors, you name it, they will exploit it. And why not, its free enterprise and money is circulating (good for the ecomony).

As a collector and hobbiest, I will continue to enjoy the research and old school values. If one of my autos appears at an auction, rest assured one of my heirs put it there. Just venting!

Skip

Wishful thinking here, but I wish I could have it both ways, in that I do enjoy watching auctions (with variety, as I said), but also without the "show biz"/hype aspect to it.

Perhaps an "auction cam" would be suitable, for on-line viewing, just to see the cars that go across the block, without commentary, just a "fly on the wall" perspective.

I would enjoy going to watch an auction for the pure entertainment of it, but don't want to have to shell out an exhorbitant price just to be part of the audience and nothing more, which is the case in some instances.

Maybe if the televised coverage offered more intelligent commentary, less Hollywood, and again, my original point, a VARIETY of cars as opposed to the same-old same-old, that's all I was trying to make a point about.

Don't want to beat this into the ground, so I'll just take my Forrest Gump stance here and say "that's all I have to say about that"...