Should I Street Rod my Olds or keep it original?

olds88

I have a 1956 Olds 88 4 door that I bought 5 years ago when it was in poor shape. I decided at that time to keep it original so I had the dents fixed and had it painted original color, re-upholstered the seats in same fabric, new wide white tires, etc all the time keeping it original. It is essentially done and I have enjoyed it for the last 2 yrs in parades and our local car show. So the question is should I make a street rod out of it? I have decided I would enjoy it more if it had more of the modern conviences like power steering, power brakes, and ac, and maybe a better(as cool sounding) exhaust. My options are to 1. street rod this one (if this option is chosen I would keep the exterior stock) 2. sell it to someone who appreciates it as it is and then buy a street rod already finished, or take on a project and build one as I like (looking at cars in the 1930's to 1940's time period, or 3. keep this one for what it is, just drive it once in a while. The wife (and garage space) say I should only own one car at a time. So does anyone have an opinion as to what I should do? When I first bought the Olds a lot of people told me to street rod it, shave the door handels, paint it a different color, etc. If I do decide to make the changes to it does anyone know how difficult it is or how much it cost ot feasibility of changing the brakes to power disc brakes, installing power steering, and air conditioning, modifying the motor, and exhaust system? And is there something I could do to the 324ci 2 barrel motor to give it more hp I am sorry this is such a long post but I really want to hear your opinions and insight from those who have gone this route before. When I first bought the car you people on this forum were really nice to encourage me in the restoration process. I would appreciate your opinion this time too. Thanks

I agree with Diz, option 2 or 3. There are enough amateur street rods out there that the world does not need another, it should not be hard to find one already done and that will save you lots of time and work. After all, you already worked on this one once.

Since something different is what you really want I would put the word out that yours is for sale and start looking for your replacement. But do the car world a favor and please do not defile an original car, there are so many cars already modified it is just not necessary to do.

You can leave it basicly stock but add a dual exhaust with some better sounding mufflers and they came with p/s and p/b so they can be found and will bolt up with no modifications,if you have to have a/c there are under dash units that can be added as I done that with a 53 88 years ago. I found the a/c unit on a 61 olds in a junkyard and had it on the 53 the next day and working by the next weekend,4 doors dont make good hotrods but make excellent cruisers and the 324 is a great motor so you dont need a latemodel motor in it.

Just the fact that you are considering turning it into a Hot Rod makes me shake my head. I don't own any antique cars, but would love to one day. Right now I only have two antique tractors and keeping them original is the only option.

It's almost as bad as asking "should I part it out or keep it complete".

Sorry, but you asked.

I guess bottom line is, its your car do what you want and will enjoy. Just don't tell us if you turn it into a hot rod!

Guest Special_49

I would say sell it to someone who will leave it the way it is and buy a street rod. My '49 Buick has 44K original miles and still has the original paint, interior, exhaust system, spare tire, etc. and it's never going to be painted as long as I own it. Good luck....

392040190.jpg

392040189.jpg

It would be a lot easier, faster and cheaper to just buy a car with the options you want. In fact you could probably buy a decent car for what it would cost to put those things on your car, and then you would have both.

Or, sell your car and buy one with the equipment you want for nearly the same money.

All the options you mention were available by 1956 except disc brakes. For those you would have to go to at least 1966 or even better, the early seventies. The first disc brakes were kind of experimental. By the early seventies they had come up with much better designs, which they kept for many years making the newer ones a lot easier to service and get parts for.

Just a few weeks ago I looked at an early seventies Cadillac Eldorado convertible. It ran and drove fine, the body was good, and it was only $2500. It needed exhaust work, a top and tires, total $1500 or so in repairs. I turned it down because for that kind of money I could get a better one.

The point is there are some great buys in sixties and seventies cars that have all the modern conveniences. If you look around you should be able to find a neat old car that has all the features you desire.

Besides the four doors, true streetrodders don't consider anything built after 48 as acceptable to make a streetrod,sort of like true Classics.

That's not exactly correct. Good Guys has been allowing cars to '72 or so for a while now. NSRA is jumping on that band wagon now too. It's all about the economy, it's affecting everyone.

Now, they may not be called Street Rods, more like Street Machines, but they are popular with the younger generation.

The younger genration? I think that's a group we are interested in too, correct? ;)

Olds offered power steering, power brakes and air conditioning. The exhaust is bolt on/bolt off. I've driven the successor 371, not this engine - it's plenty of power, these were pretty fast cars in their era. So it seems the only modification to get what you say you want is disk brakes.

You took pains to restore this car - why flush that?

Hey thanks for the input. I tried posting pics of my car as it is today but for some reason it didnt work, maybe I will try again as I would like you all to see it. I think I see your point and maybe I should be happy with it as it is, its just that when I go to car shows and see cars that are more drivable it gets me to thinking how much more I would take it out and enjoy it if it was easier to drive. So maybe I will look into power steering and just doing things to it that will keep it stock. So would I have to find a power steering unit off another 56 olds? and can the brakes be converted to power brakes the same way? I wouldnt care so much about them being disc as being power. You may have noticed that I am not all that mechanically inclined on those things, I would have to pay someone to do it. I change the oil and can do tune ups on points and rotor setups, spark plugs and so on. AC isnt all that important if I dont plan on long trips in the heat. I will try again to post some pics. I appreciate all your opinions and support for keeping it original as that is what I intended when I bought it 5 years ago. :)

I owned a 1956 Olds 4 door. It was given to me by someone took it to the wrong beach (surfers are very territorial) and had both sides bashed by an ax. The owner also mistreated the car (drove it without oil for several miles).

I kept the bodywork as-is but did a ring and valve job on the engine. Those Oldsmobile 324 engines are pretty rugged. End result -- I had a car that looked like $%*& but went like a bat out of hell. The car already had power steering, power brakes and a nice auto trans. I could (and did) drove it as my regular commuter car for quite a while.

You don't need to hot rod the car. It's pretty fast as-is. My car was a very good sleeper: POS body and a fast, stock engine underneath. I still laugh remembering the startled looks on other drivers when I floor-boarded the car and left them at the light.

My advice: keep it stock and don't improve the body. Rebuild the engine to factory specs and you will have a lot of fun. A fun exhaust or lake pipes won't hurt. In the end, you will get your money back (and maybe more) when you decide to sell.

Nobody gawks at hot rods anymore, but they always wave when an old car goes by.

Hey thanks for the input.

I think I see your point and maybe I should be happy with it as it is, its just that when I go to car shows and see cars that are more drivable. So maybe I will look into power steering and just doing things to it that will keep it stock. So would I have to find a power steering unit off another 56 olds? and can the brakes be converted to power brakes the same way? I wouldnt care so much about them being disc as being power.

I appreciate all your opinions and support for keeping it original as that is what I intended when I bought it 5 years ago. :)

Glad to see you feel this way Olds88, many people have modified their cars in this area and ended up with lots of work and $$ and little real improvement IMO.

Others should chime in on interchangability, but 1956 factory power steering and brakes should bolt right in to your Olds, and a plus for you is that a relatively high number of Olds in the 1950s had power steering and brakes. So if you find one it may more likely have these parts. You do need all the related underhood parts probably including the steering column. But your existing suspension underneath and brake parts at the drums should all be correct as is, no changes required. Good luck, Todd C

Let me suggest a compromise. The first gen Olds V8 was THE hot rod engine in the 1950s. There is a ton of vintage speed equipment available. I suggest building the engine in a 1950s vintage style using bolt-on equipment. There are aftermarket spindles that allow you to do a disc brake conversion (and I don't care where one stands on stock vs. modified, there's no reason not to improve brake performance). Wheels and tires are also bolt-ons. Now you have a hot rod that is period correct (actually a growing segment of the hot rod hobby) and can be restored to stock if you desire.

Whatever you do, DO NOT succumb to the belly button small block Chevy and Mustang II front end.

Ok, Joepadevano and ted sweet and others, I like that suggestion. Where do I start looking for these aftermarket spindles. would I have to get different rims too? I just put new wide whites on (and you know what those cost) so I was hoping to be able to keep the rims the same. And if you could direct me to where to look for other bolt on changes. Thanks

I agree with option #2 and #3. Don't hotrod an original car. If you want a hotrod, sell this car and buy one with the specifications you are looking for. And as everyone had mentioned earlier, 4 doors don't make good hotrods............just good Sunday drive cruisers.

Jay

1931 Cadillac 355A

1934 Buick 40

1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Sunliner

Where do I start looking for these aftermarket spindles. would I have to get different rims too? I just put new wide whites on (and you know what those cost) so I was hoping to be able to keep the rims the same. And if you could direct me to where to look for other bolt on changes. Thanks

These changes are NOT bolt ons on a 1950s Olds or Pontiac (what I am familiar with), that is the problem. You have to have a later master cylinder to operate power disc brakes, take a look underneath and see where you could put it. It can't go on the firewall in the modern manner. Take a look, it is not as easy as it sounds.

A stock power steering and brake system will fit without modifying everything else around it and will provide the necessary power assist. It will cost money, but less than the mods will.

When I was a kid I always liked station wagons. Every one told me station wagons would never be worth anything! Try and buy a nice wagon today. My belief is that the 4 door cars will be next. The 2 door cars, convertibles, and now wagons have gotten out of site. What is left, yes 4 door cars. A nice 4 door is really nice to cruise with the family. They are starting to climb up in value as the others have peaked out.

Your best bet is to post this in a rodding or custom web site. You will not like the answers that you will get here. We're dedicated to the preservation or autique automobiles not the modification of them.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne,

X2 here !

If you are determined to convert to front disc brakes. I googled "56 Olds disc brake" and it took me to a video on You Tube user name "hialeahe" and it shows a disc brake conversion called the Scarebird kit that uses the stock O.E.M. spindles. Then I googled Scarebird and came up with Scarebird Classic Brakes Inc. This would be the only way I would do this kind of conversion if I were to do this. But what I don't know is wheather this would any better than the O.E.M. drum brake system or what else is involved with this conversion. Just my two cents...

Edited by rhb1999
adding information (see edit history)

Where are you located as I frequent old junkyards and will look out for a 56 with the options you want,if I were you I would stay away from the original power brake unit and just add a modern master cylinder since it will stop just fine without p/b but not as quick as the newer cars. I made up brackets to adapt a modern master cylinder to the stock pedals on my 37 chevy p/u as I dont like the old single master cylinders and its on the frame so it cant be seen easily.

Where are you located as I frequent old junkyards and will look out for a 56 with the options you want,.

I am in Northern Nevada, next biggest city is Salt Lake, Utah 250 miles away! So we dont have much in the way of junkyards. I have tried a couple times to post pictures but it goes thru the motions but nothing shows up.

These changes are NOT bolt ons on a 1950s Olds or Pontiac (what I am familiar with), that is the problem. You have to have a later master cylinder to operate power disc brakes, take a look underneath and see where you could put it. It can't go on the firewall in the modern manner. Take a look, it is not as easy as it sounds.

It's been done many times. You can use a hydroboost hydraulic power booster instead of a vacuum one - it's much smaller. The booster, M/C, prop valve, and lines all bolt on. Fatman Fabrications sells bolt-on disc brake spindles.

hi, i've owned a 50 olds 88 4dr, a 57 olds 98 4dr hardtop, a 57 olds 88 2dr hardtop, and a 60 olds dynamic 88 4 dr. as mention by others, your car was able to have power brakes- known as treadle-vac, with your engine, you can add a four barrel carb set up, or even a 57-58 olds J2 factory three two barrel carburation set up, it's not hard to find the floor plate that mounts the treadle-vac unit, and the power brake pedal assembly, power steering is just a easy, change the gear box and mount the pump and hoses. olds had a/c starting in 1953, the 53 to 54 types had the cold air coming into the car thru the package tray- just inside the rear window, in 1955 olds went to up front, in dash a/c, but dealers and aftermarket stores still had rear a/c that could be installed. my 57 olds 88 had a aftermarket novi rear a/c unit, chilled the car down real quick. a set of olds three bar spinner hubcaps would look real cool. i have a 1953 pontiac chieftain custom catalina coupe (actual name,lol) that i've owned for 37 years, it came with power steering, but i added over the years many options like, power brakes, power antenna, power seat 6-way, 287 V8 factory power pack 4 bbl. 1954 pontiac factory up front in dash a/c, 1955 buick factory rear a/c, sun visor, spotlights, foglights, and much more, in fact i added up the number of options on my car now, and it's 44,lol, my point is, make your car want you want it to be, or have as options, it takes a little searching, do one at a time, put in the power steering first, then move on to the power brakes. join the oldsmobile club, you'll find members there that have already done what you're wanting to do. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

What I wonder about is whether the O.E.M. wheels can be used with the Fatman Fabrication spindles, if old88 wants to use the original wheels.

It is highly unlikely that the original wheels would clear the disk brake calipers used on those or any other spindles. GM recountoured the inboard side of their wheels when they started offering disk brakes in 1967. Wheels for drum brake cars did not have this extra clearance. The difference is in the location and width of the dropped portion of the rim of the wheel.

hi, i've owned a 50 olds 88 4dr, a 57 olds 98 4dr hardtop, a 57 olds 88 2dr hardtop, and a 60 olds dynamic 88 4 dr. as mention by others, your car was able to have power brakes- known as treadle-vac, with your engine, you can add a four barrel carb set up, or even a 57-58 olds J2 factory three two barrel carburation set up, it's not hard to find the floor plate that mounts the treadle-vac unit, and the power brake pedal assembly, power steering is just a easy, change the gear box and mount the pump and hoses. olds had a/c starting in 1953, the 53 to 54 types had the cold air coming into the car thru the package tray- just inside the rear window, in 1955 olds went to up front, in dash a/c, but dealers and aftermarket stores still had rear a/c that could be installed. my 57 olds 88 had a aftermarket novi rear a/c unit, chilled the car down real quick. a set of olds three bar spinner hubcaps would look real cool. i have a 1953 pontiac chieftain custom catalina coupe (actual name,lol) that i've owned for 37 years, it came with power steering, but i added over the years many options like, power brakes, power antenna, power seat 6-way, 287 V8 factory power pack 4 bbl. 1954 pontiac factory up front in dash a/c, 1955 buick factory rear a/c, sun visor, spotlights, foglights, and much more, in fact i added up the number of options on my car now, and it's 44,lol, my point is, make your car want you want it to be, or have as options, it takes a little searching, do one at a time, put in the power steering first, then move on to the power brakes. join the oldsmobile club, you'll find members there that have already done what you're wanting to do. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

While I agree you can add options that came with your car when new and can show a car like that in a stock catagory at a AACA show, such as a 4bbl or power brakes, but adding a J-2 (not available for 56) or putting a bent eight in a 53 Pontiac when it should be a straight eight ( at least you kept it a Pontiac) is not what this club is intended to be about. My point is this type of questioning should be re-directed at a club which is ok with all of this.

Don

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

hi helfen, i know my changes to my 53 moves it away from being strickly 1953 pontiac, but there's a reason why i'm doing this. pontiac had planned to build the 53's with the new 287 V8 engine, in fact 23 production prototypes were built and tested on pontiac's proving grounds. pontiac's planned V8 introduction was derailed by an order from gm's board of directors, ordering pontiac to push the intro date to 1955. gm's bod had heard crys from buick and oldsmobile general managers, that their sales would suffer greatly, if they had to compete with the lower priced pontiacs equipped with the new engine. so in 1988, i decided that i would restore my custom catalina to be a tribute to pontiac's original plan for 1953. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor, poci.

Charles,

I know from other clubs and threads what you have done to your 53. I have some modified cars too, but I leave that bit out on this site because of the nature and purpose of this club. While it might be OK at POCI ( even though it goes against the purpose of the club in their mission statement), this club is for stock factory built or factory authorized vehicles. I joined this club because of that, and most of the people here are really helpful and nice. This is the way they founded and want it so I think we should respect that. I'm just glad there is a place for original cars.

Don

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

hi helfen, you are quite right, the reason i like the aaca site and the club, is because of cars being completely stock and original, i was just trying to help the 56 olds owner, to see that it's possible to upgrade his olds by using the factory options, i know the J2 set up was for only 57 and 58. if i ever get another 53 custom catalina, i'll keep it completely stock, thank you, charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

It is highly unlikely that the original wheels would clear the disk brake calipers used on those or any other spindles. GM recountoured the inboard side of their wheels when they started offering disk brakes in 1967. Wheels for drum brake cars did not have this extra clearance. The difference is in the location and width of the dropped portion of the rim of the wheel.

I didn't think so. If he wanted to keep the original wheel "look" maybe someone out there makes a modifed O.E.M. rim that would give enough clearance for the caliper. But I don't know whether this can be done and still be able to mount the hubcap.

It's been done many times. You can use a hydroboost hydraulic power booster instead of a vacuum one - it's much smaller. The booster, M/C, prop valve, and lines all bolt on. Fatman Fabrications sells bolt-on disc brake spindles.
I talked to the somone at Fatman Fabrications (704-545-0369) and he told me that they ONLY make a bolt-on DROPPED spindle, for the '56 Olds, but that it uses the O.E.M. DRUM BRAKE SYSTEM. Edited by rhb1999
adding information (see edit history)

pontiac had planned to build the 53's with the new 287 V8 engine, in fact 23 production prototypes were built and tested on pontiac's proving grounds. pontiac's planned V8 introduction was derailed by an order from gm's board of directors, ordering pontiac to push the intro date to 1955.

Not to be argumentative but I believe those 23 vehicles were the test mules for the new Pontiac V8 as they logged over 3 million test miles prior to production. I do not think the 287 V8 was ready for release in 1953 since its development was behind both Olds and Cadillac. Below is what is generally accepted regarding the history of the Pontiac V8 history:

The development of Pontiac's OHV V8 dates back to 1946 , when engineers began considering new engine designs for postwar cars. Despite these experiments, the division's conservative management saw no immediate need to replace the Pontiac Straight-8 Engine , which had served well since 1933 . Robert Critchfield took over as general manager in 1952 , however, he launched an ambitious plan to move Pontiac into the upscale, mid-range Market Segment occupied by Oldsmobile , and that demanded V8 power. The development of the new engine was fast-tracked, but since its somewhat late development let it take advantage of the experience gained in the Oldsmobile V8 Engine and Cadillac V8 Engine , it was remarkably free of teething problems. The main unique feature of the Pontiac engine was the stamped rocker-arm system, which had been devised by Pontiac engineer Clayton Leach in 1948 . At the request of Ed Cole , general manager of Chevrolet , the layout was also used by the Chevrolet V8 released in 1955 , an exception to the customary GM policy of allowing a division one year of exclusive use of an internally developed advance.

Thanks for posting that bit of information Ron, especially for all those Chevy lovers that think independant ball-rocker stud configuration was a Chevy design. Pontiac also created reverse flow cooling long before Chevy's LS engine family of the 90's.

Reverse flow cooling is coolent from the water pump to the cylinder heads first and exiting from the block to the radiator. All Pontiac V-8's come with it from 1955-1959.

If Charles really wants a one off he should build a 57 Pontiac with quad headlamps and a rope drive with transaxle in the rear . When John DeLorean first came to Pontiac in the fall of 56, the rear transaxle was one of his first assignments as director of advance engineering. The 59 Pontiac's were supposed to get this feature, but got shelved for the new Tempest that was coming in 1961. I can't remember how many 57 & 58 Pontiac test mules had this setup. Lets get cranking Charles!!

Don

Don,

I forgot about the reverse cooling as it is quite evident from the short hose configuration on the heads and water pump. My 287 has 76,000 miles and has never been rebuild and runs great. Still has the original short water hoses and factory markings. Chevy fans will never admit that their 1st V8 had anything Pontiac related. A few other tidbits of info from 1955:

The death of Albert Einstein and James Dean, plus the retirement of Winston Churchill. One of the biggest news items of 1955 was the opening of a new family park staffed with cartoon characters, a place called Disneyland.