55 Century Convertible project

buick5563

The 55 Century has an engine turned middle of the dash section, so there's no way it'll be anything but "silver" in the middle.

Before I saw Fin's Skylark, I thought that they (54 SL's) had the engine turning also. I guess I would be wrong.

It's all a moot point anyway, the money for the convertible project has been reallocated.

Guest Rob McDonald

REALLOCATED?! On your 17th page of a thread and you reallocate? Ooo, this is going to be either really good or really sad. Take a deep breath and do tell all, when you're ready.

Nothing bad. I just realized that I needed to replace my truck, so I will be buying a replacement "dad mobile". I will still be doing all of the labor stuff on my convertible, it'll just take longer to buy upholstery, chrome, etc. than I was hoping.

I know what you mean by reallocating funds (and time) from your project. Our family owns 3 Model T Fords that were my Dad’s. There are five of us in the family. I own 1/5<SUP>th</SUP> of the cars. Unfortunately the 1/5<SUP>th</SUP> I own is the one that is always broke down. Then yesterday the fuel pump went out of my home inspection van. About $400.00 for the parts and I am now waiting for it to stop raining so I can pull the tank. Of course the 55 Buick and Model T are in the nice dry garage! Mud

Guest Rob McDonald

"Smell of a Woman" (well, Scent, actually) - great movie with Al Pacino. Very funny but very tense blind-man-driving scene, at the wheel of a convertible Ferrari - Mondial maybe?

Whew, am I ever glad that we didn't have to hear about Trophy Husband/Dad getting the boot. Too many shattered fantasies there to handle. Have a nice minivan shop, Mike. Heeeey, I know where there's this great station wagon, a Packard in fact...

post-59990-14313854077_thumb.jpg

I can't think of any better reason to put a restoration on hold. That interior almost looks familiar...note to self, lock doors and put windows up when Mike is around the wagon....

Congrats.

Of course, now I have a reason / excuse to maybe try driving down to the bluebonnet show one of these years so they can be seen together.

Shame about the engine colour...probably deemed closer to correct than my Wildcat's though, I guess....

Hi Mike

Glad you got this wagon, my dad and I almost bought it twenty years ago, back then it was also in northern California and had the same plates on it and the bottom of the right front fender which has been repaired was bent in. I have pictures of it and it history somewhere and will look for it. I remember that it was a nicely loaded wagon and may have been owned by the first or second owner, he had another one that was manual shift as well.

This is a good find, my dad and I always wanted another Century wagon after I sold my blue and white one and last year we bought one and are working on it, it is triple blue with blue interior.

I'll see what I can find on your wagon in my files.

Congratulations.

Steve

Thanks Steve, good to hear from you.

My wife told me that I am to do nothing but repairs on this car. A Mexican blanket is all I am allowed to do for upholstery. No engine removal for green paint. No sticking better chrome pieces on. Nothing. I have been given a two year "drive only" requirement on this car. Actually, I have wanted a good driver for a while and this fits the bill perfectly. I plan on checking the brakes, tuning it up and driving the tires off of it.....

Although, it does need a windshield.

And carpet...

:);):D

I'm not throwing in the towel yet Adam. I'm just going to have to be more aggressive in the making money part of this show. Luckily, the jobs are stacking up, but I am at the mercy of the home duties around here. I wonder where the Lucky '13 Nationals are gonna be.

Hint for people thinking about hosting in 2013. ^^^^^Lucky '13 Nats? Oh yeah.

Y'all know I'm not Ahnuld. It wasn't another woman. Mary indeed ROCKS!!!

My new "minivan" is on the way...

Buick : Century | eBay

Great buy Mike,

I , along with a lot of other Buick guys , saw this on ebay and it really impressed me...if it wasn't for other projects you might have had some more competition with the bids.

REAL NICE CAR.......so glad it went to someone who will appreciate it and yes I'm jealous :)

Thanks Steve, good to hear from you.

My wife told me that I am to do nothing but repairs on this car. A Mexican blanket is all I am allowed to do for upholstery. No engine removal for green paint. No sticking better chrome pieces on. Nothing. I have been given a two year "drive only" requirement on this car. Actually, I have wanted a good driver for a while and this fits the bill perfectly. I plan on checking the brakes, tuning it up and driving the tires off of it.....

Although, it does need a windshield.

And carpet...

:);):D

A good driver??? You know how to pick them my friend! Wonderful choice and just your style. Congrats on the purchase. Also glad that Mary was involved! Lovin' It!:D:D:D

Guest Rob McDonald

OH MAN, how to make the rest of us feel utterly inadequate... Mikey gets to play in the garage all day and even his paying jobs are cool old cars. He actually HAS a convertible restoration fund. When the family transport appliance needs replacing, Mike doesn't even pretend that he's checked out the latest Korean imports - he goes straight to eBay! Days later, one of the coolest wagons on the planet is delivered to his driveway. Of course Mary rocks because Mary is the patron saint of every man's dream wife. Amazing that this stuff even gets through the parental controls of our email servers. Gentlemen, let us all bow down to Mike the Archangel, Trophy Husband Extraordinaire.

This is from Mrs. Buick5563 after showing her the last few posts.

"Thank you all for noticing how awesome I am".

She seems to think that it is more along the lines of "These are not the Droids you are looking for. Move along"

She thinks I have a Jedi power that makes her say OK to things she wouldn't normally OK. She wants a Mini Cooper next. Or a Volvo C30. Do ya think I care?

So this morning I went out to the garage to grab a Diet Coke from the garage fridge and there was a giant transmission leak from the 55 Special I am working on (along with the known pan gasket leak on the convertible)...

I asked her why she let me buy another car that was going to leak and aggravate me....

Quote "You aren't happy when you aren't fixing things and being aggravated."

Gotta love that woman.

Forgive me when I start another thread on this awesome car on the General discussion forum since some of those dudes don't check the MAMB section, plus an additional thread around here.

I'm really stoked at this point.

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hold on boys, that ain't mine!

I haven't been spending as much time around here this summer due to being out of town for a month, then returning to dragging the Woodster to summer camps and swimming pools.

I have been working on getting the wagon ready to use by the first day of school (next Monday).

It wasn't as nice as the eBay auction stated initially, but after working on it for two months, it is nicer than the auction said. It was a filthy, greasy mess on the underside. I had to scrape grime (old transmission fluid and dust) before I could even figure out where all of the leaks were. There was a freeze plug leaking, torque ball leak, heater core leak. I fixed all of these then moved to where I knew there were problems. The race on the passenger side axle shaft wasn't seated fully making the rear end howl. It had also heated the brakes up on that side, destroying the shoes. After getting the new axle shaft from Willie, I was able to get the rear end back together.

Side note:

It is very hard for me to merely clean parts instead of bead blasting and properly painting things (like brake backing plates). Oh yeah, under the grease, they were gold cad!

Back to the story...

So after the rear end was rebuilt, I got all of the brake parts back together. I was ready to bleed the brakes. Starting at the first rear line, fluid started coming out of the steel line. I have some on the way from Inline Tube.

From a cosmetic standpoint, I pulled the front carpet and fiberglassed the holes in the floor. That's right. Fiberglass. Willie had a spare carpet that didn't fit his car, so I installed it to replace the torn, cat pee covered old one. This also added another color to the car. It was originally red and now it is blue. I covered the seat in Mexican blankets.

Moving on to the fuel system: the carb accelerator rod was held together with zipties so I stole the one from the convertible. I am currently looking for a replacement. I added an electric pump at the gas tank after fixing the tank sending unit.

I bypassed the heater core. I don't need it. Lubed all of the cables and made the vents work properly.

In front I replaced the lower bumper and upper grille bar. They were too messed up to live with.

Hmm, what else?

The good news is that everything else is in really good shape. The electric windows work great. The car did have a WonderBar radio that is in spectacular cosmetic and working condition. The four way power seat works.

Should be rolling soon. Maybe I'll visit the Middleton Brewery.

Edited by buick5563
iPhone sloppy typing (see edit history)

OK Mike, all is forgiven now that your confession is now public. So you haven't been slacking off, just re-directing (a well worn hockey term) your efforts on the daily driver. Did I mention beer yet? So how are you related to the Middleton Brewery? Must be a long lost relative or something.

It must be hard to not restore the wonderwagon when you are working on it! Restraint is the better part of valor! Good job there. Keep up the good work and keep us posted on the progress.

Jim

Not sure how I am related to the Brewery folk. Most of my "way back" peeps are originally from North Carolina.

I got a call from Inline Tube Monday saying that they had transposed numbers on my credit card and hadn't started on the lines. They were very apologetic and I got an email later in the day with a Fed Ex shipping number. Hopefully they will get here today or tomorrow. That'd get me on the road by Saturday.

Another thing I am trying to figure out is how to best install the radio I ripped out of the wrecked Tahoe. That way I can steal the Selectronic for the convertible. I think I have it all figured out...