55 Century Convertible project

buick5563

Nice..keep the names coming..Nailhead is very appealing, Limited Lager, Roadmaster Red and I like the inverse..Electra 225 Calorie - The High Octane Beverage...:D Maybe we need to have a name off or something like that. Once determined, I will get some formulas together.

Woo hoo! Looking forward to it Jim.

I think Super Stout works better than Special Stout. Century Cream Ale. Buick Bock. Buick Bitter (don't like that name as much). Buick Brown. LeSabre Lambic (Belgian). Regal Red. Electra Eisbock. Invicta India Pale. GS Golden. PAIPA - Park Avenue India Pale Ale. Wildcat Weissbier.

I think I'm about done...and thirsty...and have to go out soon, so can't have any for a few hours...sigh.

Hey guys, I think that we have bottled up Mike's thread pretty well with this. Mike, sorry about all the beer references on your post. I am going to start a new thread under Buick General..called, guess what..Buicks and Beer! Let's carry on there if you want to. Thanks Jim

Mike, maybe you need a Buick Cream Ale to put out all those welding fires! Can't wait to see the new pictures..Oh, by the way, you have been pretty silent on the beer naming process. Heck, if it weren't for your convert's need for the beverage, we wouldn't even be talking up this stuff..:D

Guest Rob McDonald

MIKE, WILLIE, I had another look at your startin' er up video - good going, guys. I noticed that you did the same thing we all do, when first firing up a heavily reworked engine. You immediately looked at the tail pipe. Will there be pillowy white clouds of condensation? Black belches of soot? Or our very worst fear - the dreaded blue vapour. The noises up front tell us a lot but we seek proof in the rearward emissions.

Back to the show.

Again.

Stupid beer-drinking, ne'er-do-well, highjackers! ;)

So today as I was talking to Capt. Jim on the phone, a guy came by with a 1955 Special hardtop. He wanted to make it look and drive better than it does now. He also wanted to pay me. Hmmm.... These people are really getting in my way when it comes to "retirement". The cool thing is that I should be able to get rid of this car in a couple of months with another nice cash infusion. Dang, I may just send my convertible off to get blasted so I don't have to have all of the fun of sand in my drawers!

post-32260-143138469424_thumb.jpg

Hey...I resemble those remarks! :) What a life you have..you just sit there fat dumb and happy and work and money roll up to your door..:D Nice life for a trophy hubby, I guess.

May I get you another bottle of Drool?

Rob, Where did you get that picture of Mike? Nothing like a good ol' sandblasting experience..like my Daddy told me about going to the movies..you can pick your friends, you can pick your seat, but you can't pick your friends seat! :)

• 3 weeks later...

First off, thanks for the pic rotations fellas...music festival in town yesterday meant midday drinking, which then led to pic posting and forum bravado.

Bob, the blaster dude I am using brought his rotisserie with him to pick up the car. I can definitely see the advantage of doing a rotisserie restoration, but that thing is too big to store (even in my garage). I did ask him about (aboot) it. He said it cost him around a grand. He told me it was the cheapest one he could find. Pretty darn nice!

Lift leaking hydraulic fluid? It's kind of hard to tell with this crick in my neck....

Yeah, if it was that direction it wouldn't be leaking ;)

It's all back together with a freshly rebuilt cylinder. The guy who fixed it joked that it was as old as my cars...

Actually, he said that if it was in a "real" garage working up and down every day, he wouldn't have let me rebuild it. He would sell me a new one. Apparently the chain can eventually fail, thus dropping one side of the car----then the other. Yikes. I'll be careful.

I had the sandblaster drop the car off at the paint shop where I had my Wildcat painted, since my lift is currently hosting the stray 55 Special.

They are going to get the underside prepped and "primed" along with the firewall color so I can have it ready for reintroduction to the frame...

Rat rod anybody?

post-32260-143138495918_thumb.jpg

post-32260-143138495921_thumb.jpg

Edited by buick5563
Added incendiary comment (see edit history)

...and no, it isn't going to be black. They use a black epoxy to be bulletproof, then spray grey on top so they know when they have to stop sanding. It also gives a good base for body filler, not that it is going to need any! ;)

Also, for what it's worth, they aren't big fans of blasting. The sand never gets out and goes everywhere. Whoops, I thought I was doing them a favor.

Mike, man that car is looking really sweet! Oh what I wouldn't give to have some warmer weather and a bigger garage...I think you will be driving this baby to Danver's as well, especially if you don't have any body work to do..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rob McDonald

I don't know why you guys go on and on all the time about rotisseries. Just learn how to manipulate photo images and your car can be rotated 90 degrees, 180, 270, whatever you want. You can even change the paint colour, if you've got PhotoShop. Sheesh, you make it so hard for yourselves. =>:^]

Reminds me of an old tale: a fellow I once knew - dead now, I'm pretty sure - was an account manager for a electrical utility company. His territory included an Indian reserve. (SIDEBAR: don't know why our governments still call them Indians; most of the native folks around here are Cree and I bet many of them have never even been to India.)

Anyway, Bill was sent out to deal with the elected Chief of the band, because his household power bill was about two years in arrears and, besides, the meter had an alarming rate of electricity consumption, year 'round. The company was very reluctant to cut anyone off and this fellow's sensitive political status warranted an in-person visit.

So Bill rolls up the Chief's rural driveway in his cream-puff '65 Galaxy sedan (about 15 years old at the time and it was still his daily driver. His "special" car was a gorgeous silver '65 Continental). Steps out and meets the Chief coming out of his barn. Offers him a cigarette - Bill knew good Cree courtesy. Explains why he's there. Chief is apologetic, explains that he's terrible with money and goes inside to get his cheque book.

While Bill waits, he wanders around the yard, checking out an assortment of fairly late-model Ford trucks and full-size sedans, in various states of disassembly. Comes across a Grand Marquis with no rear axle assembly but there's an extension cord running up to to it. Bill goes around, sees that it's plugged into the block heater cord and feels it - it's warm.

Chief comes out with a cheque for several thousand dollars (cleared, no problem). Bill asks him why the car's plugged in, which would explain the Chief's unusual power usage. Geez, sorry, he forgot all about it, hadn't driven the car for a couple of years. Both problems simultaneously solved.

Bill noticed another car, an LTD Landau, tipped up on its side and held up with fence posts. Asks the Chief what's up with that, isn't he worried about the paint job? Chief laughs. Says he's changing the exhaust system (was gonna swap it out of the Merc, in fact) and only a white man would be dumb enough to crawl on the ground under a dirty car to do that.

The Cree people aren't actually that much better than us, they just have a far more practical sense of priorities.