55 Century Convertible project

buick5563

Guest Rob McDonald

"Schmootz" - would that be Texan for Schmutz, which is German for "dirt"? I hear that there's a big rock embedded in a road, somewhere west of Laramie (just outside Austin, in fact), which is gunning for your spare tire well. Ding!

So the secret is out. It's going to be Condor Yellow with I presume a white top. Very nice for a mid fifties convertible. And the interior color is gonna be.....????

Too bad the name ""Buttercup" is already taken. :)

This wouldn't have had anything to do with your choice of color would it. Thinking it's like a chick magnet or somethin....

post-31987-143138511544_thumb.jpg

Mmmm, Teri and Buttercup...

It'll be yellow over white. Possibly a white top, maybe black. May go black with white, black with yellow, or all red upholstery. Still mulling it over. I'm outta money again. Luckily, I will be getting another draw from the guy who's 55 I'm doing. Gotta love clients with cash!

The painter went way beyond what we talked about while priming the body, the quarters are laser straight. At least there won't be as much bondo dust later in the project. Last time I joked that my other 55's paint job cost as much as a new Kia. I believe we are gonna be in new Ford Ranger range with this one. :D

I just pushed my chassis outside and moved the other two 55's around to free up the lift. They are bringing the car back on their rotisserie today! Then, back up on the lift, plunk it on the chassis and start fitting doors, trunk lids, etc.

"Sounds easy when you say it fast" (Old Tank)

Mmmm, Teri and Buttercup...

It'll be yellow over white. Possibly a white top, maybe black. May go black with white, black with yellow, or all red upholstery. Still mulling it over. I'm outta money again. Luckily, I will be getting another draw from the guy who's 55 I'm doing. Gotta love clients with cash!

Red ...Red ...Red

That's my vote for the upholstery :D

Mike.....Your car is going to look stunning

Please keep those photos coming.

Regards

Red eh?

Here is a question for the masses. If I went for a red interior, what color would I do the dash and moldings? I have a pristine black steering wheel, so I would like to stay with a black dash, which then would mean black garnish moldings. Would that look OK with red seats? For once, I can't see it in my mind (usually a place that is very clear with vision).

There is no telling if that last pic of a 54 has the original wheel, but it is black with a red column. I would assume that it would have had a red wheel to begin with. Or possibly that would be an option. An all red interior would be cool looking (dash, moldings, seats) but there is no way I will find a usable red wheel, and I don't like the look of a painted one. It has also been mentioned that painted wheels feel different. I could get one recast, but that is around $700, and I don't want it that bad.

Just thinking out loud.

Red eh?

Here is a question for the masses. If I went for a red interior, what color would I do the dash and moldings? I have a pristine black steering wheel, so I would like to stay with a black dash, which then would mean black garnish moldings. Would that look OK with red seats? For once, I can't see it in my mind (usually a place that is very clear with vision).

It seems that you have not looked at mine lately:)

post-30648-143138515408_thumb.jpg

post-30648-143138515446_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Rob McDonald

HEY MIKE, life has been getting in my way lately and I haven't spent much time on the Forum - or in the garage either. I'm lovin' the yellow firewall and vote for no two-tone and a red interior, if I may (black top, btw, with a red boot cover). That red and black dashboard that Stealthbob sent you is stunning. Not so much the yellow and red number on 54fins' Skylark - just doesn't look right, as much as I usually like it when the exterior colour comes inside. Just another armchair designer here.