55 Century Convertible project

buick5563

Guest Rob McDonald

MIKE, you must have very big, strong arms, which is no surprise, you being Trophy Husband and all.

BOB, now how did you figure out how to download my whole family album like that?

Buick5563, I had my Packard shocks rebuilt by a certain company in NY, and when they were returned to me, they leaked like a sieve. Nothing was done, and I sent them to Five Points, and they came back rebuilt properly with NO leaks. Their webpage is found here...Five Points Classic Auto Shocks Home

I hope this helps, B

I finally found somebody who knew how to read a bend card so I could have a tailpipe formed. Guess where? MIDAS!!! I was about to give up after four shops said no.

I got it all bolted up today after much twisting and head scratching. Don't give me grief about the real exhaust clamp in the front of the muffler. I needed a firm grip for fitting purposes. I will be installing the factory correct one.

For future reference Bhigdog's exhaust guy is named Martin Johnson. His number is (231) 723-5343 in Manistee, Mi. His muffler and exhaust pipe were spot on and like I said earlier, he sent me the bend card free to save me shipping. He is a great guy to deal with and I highly second Bob's recommendation. Thanks again for the lead Bob.

Should be starting it up really soon!

post-32260-143138425649_thumb.jpg

I tried filling the master cylinder and pumping up the brakes. The next morning there was fluid at the brake switch and the front boot of the MC. Shucks. I bought another MC at the Nationals last year that had an oddball rear "section". It is a knurled "fitting" that the pipe screws into instead of the 1 5/16" "fitting". Does anybody know where to get a rear copper gasket for this? It is 1 1/4" o.d. I'm thinking it must be from a 54 since the guy I bought it from owns a famous 1954. It IS a Delco. The fitting is the same size as the filler.

I have three master cylinders. Two have scoring in the cylinder and the oddball one leaks from the rear gasket. Have any of you dudes had an MC resleeved? I have heard good and bad about White Post, but nothing about anybody else.

Thanks

Edited by buick5563
Added filler size (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

The first start....!!!

Nice job guys, let me guess, there were cylinder wire and plug torque issues right? :D

....yes Willie, I got the gist but we all never like to admit that we, achem forgot the basics. ;)

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8???????? rofl.gif

I guess you couldn't break in the cam yet eh....well at least you know she starts, that must have been a fun day in the Garage with that crew in place.

Thanks for the Vid!!!!!

Edited by stealthbob (see edit history)

OK, first of all. Thanks to Bill and Willie for the help. It took us maybe four hours to get to that point. It would've taken me four days alone.

I knew we were going to be attempting this today so I got the radiator out, installed the hoses, etc. i.e. let's not overheat anything. I realized I hadn't picked up any tranny fluid, so I made a quick trip to the store this morning and bought $50 worth of ATF. (Geez, when did that stuff get so steep?) Cool, I'm ready. Except for battery cables. Oh, and my shop battery is fine for testing small parts, but it won't sufficiently crank a fresh, tight Nailhead. So we (me with a crew raising eyebrows) rigged a battery with a charger and jumper cables. We tried for a while with no luck. Pulled the dist cap and discovered the new points (from NJ) didn't have spark. Changed that out. Continued priming carb. Nope. OK, pull spark plug covers to check if the distributor is backwards. I swear it isn't. I checked over and over. Take ratchet to spark plug> unnecessary. They aren't tight. :confused: Tighten. Try again. Battery by this time is pretty much dead. Pull battery from another car. Still no dice.

OK. Let's say you do a very good job cutting and making your own spark plug wires so they are the perfect length. And then you route them in the properly braided manner. Then you either go to sleep because it is late or you have a beer. THEN you come back and install the wires, but you notice that the wires seem stretched tight or are really floppy. Hmmm, that is weird, I swear these were cut perfectly. Yeah. They don't exactly fit the same if you install them in the 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 way. Nothing like having a couple of fellas you really respect see THAT one!

Finally got everything sorted out. Poured a bunch of "beer" down the throat of the carb and it started right up! No bad knocks or thumps or other noises. No oil leaks...yet.

I'm sure I have forgotten something. I'm also sure it will be brought up. :D

Mike, nice vid! It's always the obvious stuff that we tend to overlook, and it is so much more obvious when it is realized with friends that are experts there to see the big event! You know what they say..shooot happens :D

The car sounded great! That is always a big moment when it turns over and fires up, especially after all that time and energy that went into getting it that way. Looking forward to more of the movie, Mike and His Car - Revenge of the Radiator!! :)

Keep up the good work and keep Old Tank and Bill in line, if you can.

That is my winter facial hair. Bill said I looked distinguished. Or old. I forget. Lotta gray, my friend ;)

There IS sound. I said "beered up" at one point right before it started up. I also said (about the beer bottle) "at least it is a good Texas beer" (Fireman's 4 pale ale) yum!

That is my winter facial hair. Bill said I looked distinguished. Or old. I forget. Lotta gray, my friend ;)

There IS sound. I said "beered up" at one point right before it started up. I also said (about the beer bottle) "at least it is a good Texas beer" (Fireman's 4 pale ale) yum!

Gray / silver on the temple is distinguished...beard is old...I know the feeling.

I got sound this time around...for a day or two I had some odd stuff going on with the computer - audio was working, but not for everything.

The most reasonable stuff I find whenever I go south is from smaller local breweries or brew pubs...I find the mass market American beer too thin....

All right...it looks like the gauntlet has been thrown..I have been cleared for going to Danvers..I am going to brew a beer for those to try...Need a name, for the style of beer to brew..I could do a Special Stout, a Roadmaster Red, a National Ale...let me know..I agree on Thriller's post. American standard beers are too thin.. Guarantee this beer will cure what ales you...:D