2011 Buick Regal Announcement! TODAY

BUICK RACER

What ...not a 2 door. :( .... The Regal My Aunt had back in the 70's was a two door. The car would actually look good as a two door. I'll think about buying one when the two doors make a come back. Take a hint you Buick designers and give us older folks a car we will love in our second childhood....and put only two door on it. ;) Then we will talk about the rag top. :D Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Neither Buick or Lincoln have a 2 door. Neither does Cadillac, Mercury, or Chrysler. That is why we ended up with a Chevy. I would like to see all of them make a 2 door. But I guess you just find it necessary to make lame attempts to bash Lincoln when it doesn't even have anything to do with the post.

Well, that's another Buick that looks great on video. But I've learned not to issue any comments on these cars till I see them in person. Too often what looks excellent from the perspective of the camera, is unsatisfying in real life. But I sure hope this new Regal is what they say it is. And I too, would vote for a coupe. Seems every other manufacturer has a two door, what's stopping our brand?

I'm driving a 4-door car now....never will again. I WANT A 2-DOOR!!! Buick, listen up (since the GM Blogs and GM Lab web sites are catering to 4 door econobox crap) WAKE THE F UP AND MAKE A 2-DOOR CAR AGAIN!!! I'll not be driving one of these. In fact, it took all of 2 seconds to see the page load, 4 doors, close browser. Scrap a new Regal from my future. And it's not like I don't like a Regal...have 5 of them in the garage right now. But this 4 door crap means I won't have #6 anytime soon.

I was there on thursday and the car does look great in person. It is a very sporty looking car.

The event was excellent and everyone in the room was a young hip crowd and they loved the car. The event was a through back to the old GM Motorama (at least thats the feeling I got from it).

They also had future concept cars there as well as a Enclave & a La Crosse.

I got to meet Ed Welburn and spoke with him at length about designs, he is a very nice gentleman and really likes the older designed cars of the 50's & 60's.

Hopefully some newer designs will be out soon.

Steve

Where is that beautiful invicta that they showed us in Flint and where are the portholes

have a great Buick day

Frank

Portholes cause drag and increase fuel consumption. :eek: Or maybe not. :confused: Tis a greener world today so they gotta keep the gooberment regulations in line.

Yeah, I vote for Portholes too. :D Dandy Dave!

Portholes cause drag and increase fuel consumption. :eek: Or maybe not. :confused: Tis a greener world today so they gotta keep the gooberment regulations in line.

Yeah, I vote for Portholes too. :D Dandy Dave!

Oh how wrong you are (maybe), Dave. Have you seen the Mythbusters Golf Ball Car Test? Quite enlightening. And given these results, I'd say you need many more portholes than 3 or 4 on a side to make a measurable difference. But 3 or 4 on a side are a good start. Now does the final shape of a porthole make a difference, probably. And that's where things go awry. Nobody seems to like round portholes anymore.

Guest my3buicks

While we would all like to see a two door, do you really think Buick is going to get one beofre Cadillac has theirs out? Let's appreciate the fact that Buick is adding to the stable slowly and that each introduction seems to be hitting the market/press with great reviews. Let's not rush a car into a slot just to fill the slot - let them continue doing it right for a change. The careful rebuilding of the marques reputaion and marketplace is utmost.

I need a 4 door about 3% of the time.

This car's benchmark was the Lexus I series and the BMW 3/5 series. The interior is same ol same ol.

The grille work is very nice. I also like the thin profile roof. It is as coupe as you can make a 4 door.

And why silver for a promotional color? Silver has been over-used for new car intros. I see this car is a garnet red or a blue.

And what of price? $30,000? $38,000 like the LaCrosse? I can get a one year old LuCerne V6 for $17,000. And LuCernes are nice despite their aged design.

Buick needs to fill the void left by Pontiac. How about a $22,000 car?

Oh how wrong you are (maybe), Dave. Have you seen the Mythbusters Golf Ball Car Test? Quite enlightening. And given these results, I'd say you need many more portholes than 3 or 4 on a side to make a measurable difference. But 3 or 4 on a side are a good start. Now does the final shape of a porthole make a difference, probably. And that's where things go awry. Nobody seems to like round portholes anymore.

I knew I could stir things up...LOL... Dandy Dave!

Guest my3buicks

Disagree!! I do not think Buick needs to fill Pontiacs voids, this will only erode the image Buick has been trying to establish - I don't think there are any cheap Lexus's on the market, I believe Toyota is tapped for that need. Chevrolet will fill GM's need for cheaper wheels. Buick Needs in it's stable, a PREMIUM - SUV, Sedan, Coupe, Small Sedan - it would be nice to round out with an top of the line rear drive (Invicta) and if the world was a wonderful place a convertible. Keep Buick Premium, don't be all for everyone.

Buick Needs in it's stable, a PREMIUM - SUV, Sedan, Coupe, Small Sedan - it would be nice to round out with an top of the line rear drive (Invicta) and if the world was a wonderful place a convertible. Keep Buick Premium, don't be all for everyone.

Agree with the quotes about the need for a coupe and convertible.

If Chrysler can build a soft and hard top convertible with reasonable room, why can't GM? Yeah, they built the Pontiac G6 convertible for a while, but someone cut a few dollars, and used the two-piece top from Karmann instead of the three-piece metal top used on the Chrysler. The difference is, with the two-piece top, you have NO TRUNK ROOM WHATSOEVER when the top is down. With the three-piece, you have some room.

And, when the top is up on the Sebring hardtop convertible, it is as quiet as a coupe, so you have two cars in one.

How about it, Buick? Maybe a Wildcat, Centurion or Riviera coupe/convertible for the retired/retiring baby boomers as well as the younger crowd that could be sold a two-door car again?

Joe

Disagree!! I do not think Buick needs to fill Pontiacs voids, this will only erode the image Buick has been trying to establish

Well, I want to own a new Buick and I don't want to spend $35,000 to do it.

Therefore, I need to buy off lease Buicks or near new Buicks for pennies on the dollar. Whether they need to fill the void left by Pontiac may be a bad choice of words, but in my opinion, it's semantics.

If you get two college graduates that get married and buy the first residence, they then want to impress their friends, have a cool ride, visit the relatives in something respectable - you see where I am going.

Now in the last 15 years or so we have seen these kids way over extend themselves ( I know - I am in the business of trying to correct this mess) so we don't need to start over on that pathe.

Why not a $22,000 Buick that could be traded in for a $27,000 Buick 3 years from now that could then become a 2nd car, and the couple purchase an Enclave for the now growing family?

Is brand loyalty so eroded that buyers just 'skip' around each time a new vehicle is desired (not needed because in actuality planned obsolescence is no longer an option)

There is nothing Buick is currently offering including the "new" Regal that would entice me to buy one. I think it was Harley Earl who once said, "You can sell a young man's car to an old man, but you can't sell an old man's car to a young man." Now that I'm becoming an old man, I can appreciate the sentiment even more.

Yuck, another 4 door econobox with unexciting styling and a 4 banger.

Greg

Guest Bob Call

What America needs is a Buick Limited 4 door with a honking big V8 and rear drive (can you say Cadillac CTSV) and a Buick Special 2 door on that same chassis and both with real port holes ala 56Roadmaster. Nothing with a 4 cylinder should ever have a Buick nameplate!

Oh, by the way, I may be an old fart but I would like to have a 60 - 40 split front bench seat and get rid of those space eating center consoles. I'll a big guy and hate the cramped quarters of the newer cars.

Edited by Bob Call (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

Why is that Bob, 4 cyl are nothing new in the higher end import lines - the performance from them would smoke most of our old Buicks? I am thinking for the market the Regal is going for the engine choice/choices are in order. I think there was similar thinking with the GN when it came, thoughts have changed.

Buy a Lucerne, I am pretty sure you can get them with a 60/40.

Not rear drive but the Lucerne Super with the 292 HP V8 should at least satisfy your power need. We have a300 HP DTS and it can be a screamer. Will of course leave my 455 Centurion in the dust.

I think we would all love to see a rear drive Buick flagship - but as I said in an earlier post, I would rather see them do each step right than rush something to production. Just because it is a V8, a coupe, and fast doesn't mean it will be a hit (aka the GTO flop)

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Well, I want to own a new Buick and I don't want to spend $35,000 to do it.

Therefore, I need to buy off lease Buicks or near new Buicks for pennies on the dollar. Whether they need to fill the void left by Pontiac may be a bad choice of words, but in my opinion, it's semantics.

If you get two college graduates that get married and buy the first residence, they then want to impress their friends, have a cool ride, visit the relatives in something respectable - you see where I am going.

Now in the last 15 years or so we have seen these kids way over extend themselves ( I know - I am in the business of trying to correct this mess) so we don't need to start over on that pathe.

Why not a $22,000 Buick that could be traded in for a $27,000 Buick 3 years from now that could then become a 2nd car, and the couple purchase an Enclave for the now growing family?

Is brand loyalty so eroded that buyers just 'skip' around each time a new vehicle is desired (not needed because in actuality planned obsolescence is no longer an option)

No offense but just because people want a car doesn't mean they should be able to afford it. How desireable would BMW's be if anyone could buy one? Would Rolls Royce be as prestigious if they suddenly decided to offer cars in the $50,000 price range? Buick should not be filling the void left by Pontiac or offering $22,000 cars. Buick was originally a premium make. GM's divisions initially overlapped very little or even had gaps between them. The hierachy was quite apparent back in the 1920-50's. However, by the 1980's -'90's, you could buy a Buick for around $1000 - $1500 more than a Chevy. That doesn't seem much more prestigious than a Chevy, and Buicks should be. I have heard Buicks referred to in old times as "the doctors' car". I don't think many doctors aspire to own a car costing $1500 more than a Chevy. You should not be able to graduate college and buy a new Buick while you are working flipping burgers to pay off student loans. A Buick is something that you should have to work years to be able to afford and save up for. A reward for years of working hard and moving up. The same as you start with an apartment, then small house, then big house. You don't get the big house at 25 just because you want it and don't like the little apartment. Moving Buick back upscale is something GM should have done a long time ago.

Brand loyalty is basically gone as well. Years ago you could pass a house and see a Chrysler, Ford, or GM family. The driveway had a Ford van, Town Car, Marquis wagon, Mustang for the teenager. Now driveways have one Honda, one GM SUV, one BMW, one Mustang or Japanese tuner. I really don't see any all anything driveways anymore.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

While we would all like to see a two door, do you really think Buick is going to get one beofre Cadillac has theirs out? Let's appreciate the fact that Buick is adding to the stable slowly and that each introduction seems to be hitting the market/press with great reviews. Let's not rush a car into a slot just to fill the slot - let them continue doing it right for a change. The careful rebuilding of the marques reputaion and marketplace is utmost.

the last 2 door was the riviera 10 yrs ago. now how long much longer will it take buick to fill this void? i might be dead by then.........

keith,

we still have the 67. has a few upgrades now.:D

john

Linc400, you keep working hard to overpay for that new Buick. All this "Premium" car branding to me is just another way to get deeper in my pocket for no good reason.

I'm willing to face the fact that Buick is never going to produce anything I'll ever want again....and I'll never be buying another Buick. I'm not going to pay $35,000+ so somebody can say they're the new BMW/Lexus/Whatever killer. Those cars have been overpriced too, and I never entertained buying one of them either.

I guess at heart I'm just a Pontiac guy that's left out in the cold to go "downgrade" to a Chevy. That's just sad. Oh well, I'm off Buicks now, just as I get to the demographic where Buick thought I'd want one of their cars. Hey, there goes my brand loyalty right out the window, and it wasn't my choice to toss it out, it was Buick's choice to ignore it! I guess they missed the mark bigtime. No "personal luxury" 2-door cars anymore....just 4-door cookie cutter cars. Blech!

Think I'll stop by and see Tom Henry. Who's Tom Henry you ask? Tom Henry is a Chevy dealer here in PA that's taking a cue from the old Yenko days. He's taking the new Camaro and adding a dealer installed FUN package to it consisting of a supercharger and other fun stuff. White paint with deep orange stripes and he's turning a very good starter platform of a 2-door V8 car and making it even more fun. Now there I can see value being added for my hard earned dollar. Dare I even call it a "Premium" Camaro. Oops, better not, because it's outrun any Buick, or Cadillac, including the V series cars, and it's only a lowly Chevy. Hrmm, maybe I'll buy one and see if it is worth $250,000+ as I get older, like a modern day Yenko. Now there's a thought.

Dan,

I had considered a rebuttal to LINC400's argument that Buick doesn't need a $22,000 car, a de facto entry level car. But I think we have covered all possible thoughts.

Buick has always had an entry level car - going way back to the 1920's when 4 cylinders were prodcued alongside 6 cylinder cars.

Buick got a huge bump in the mid thirties when they went all straight 8. This included the entry level Special.

Specials and Supers played the role of entry level Buick until the Skylark came along. The Skylark got a lot of folks into Buicks that later moved on to Regals, LeSabres and Electras.

The issue was the last gen Century 4 doors which were dogs. (No offense to Century owners) These cars were produced for rental fleets mainly and the concept of making them desirable was ridiculous. They were the ultimate jelly bean with grocery getter power and accoutrements.

Buick jettisons them and starts fresh with the LuCerne, Lacrosse, Enclave etc.

You are 100% correct that we don't need to benchmark the Lexus/Honda/BMW crowd. Buick has created clean sheet cars without benchmarking anything.

The only truth in having the lowest priced Buick be a $35,000 car is profit margin for the manufacturer. It's higher, but they sell less. less cars sold means less need for dealership salespeople, mechanics, parts counter people etc.

I review our companies auto loans everyday. I see a lot of monthly payments of $650 for 72 months. That to me is the essence of insanity. If you can afford a $650 per month payment for 72 months then put more down in the 1st place! That's my mortgage payment!

If we have seen all this debt restructuring for the post discharge BK auto companies, then why the continued high prices? Why not lower the suggested retail price rather then keep them high and offer buying incentives?

I said Buick needs to move back upmarket. I didn't say I was going to be buying one. As long as they offer only 4 doors that look like everything else on the road with only a cartoonlike exaggeration of the Buick grill to differentiate it, they have nothing of interest for me. I'd rather buy a Camaro or Challenger, which at $35,000-$40,000 for a well equipped one, is even more overpriced than a Buick. Muscle cars were supposed to be affordable cars for young buyers, not luxury car priced.

The most expensive 1930 Chevy was $685. The cheapest Buick for 1930 was $1260. So the entry level Buick was nowhere near the price of a Chevy. So with the average Chevy costing more than $25,000 now, Buick most definitely should not be offering a $22,000 car.

Did buyers of Specials and Skylarks really all move up to Regals and Electras later on? I don't think so. Some might have, but I think they just mostly sold to 2 different types of buyers, and sales of one had nothing to do with the other.

Besides, people might have moved up from a less expensive to more expensive model in a division years ago, but they do not really do that anymore. They might with a Honda or Toyota. But when they become successful enough to buy a luxury or near luxury car, they want a name that is immediately going to impress people like BMW ,Lexus, or Mercedes. People here might not care about impressing others with one of those nameplates, but the rest of the world likes to name drop and flash their Mercedes keychain. Buick is not going to build a prestigious name for itself by offering cars cheaper than a Chevy.

Yes they will sell more cars if they sell cheaper cars. But it will erode the name and eventually kill the brand. People will always buy a prestigious name if they offer a cheaper car. But then their volume will change to selling more of the cheap car. And buyers wanting something more prestigious will buy something else with a more impressive name. Then none of the more expensive stuff will sell, and they will just be thought of as a cheaper car division. People will buy a $30,000 Cadillac. But they will not buy an $80,000 VW. And if they keep selling hypothetical $30,000 Cadillacs, people wanting to name drop will not buy the $40,000 - $70,000 Cadillacs anymore. They will buy something else that immediately says "I am so successful", not "did you get the cheap one or a better one?".

If Buick wants to attract younger buyers or new buyers, they need a muscle or halo car. Not a cheap one.