Gen-u-wine 1919 Merc for sale

CarlLaFong

Mercedes had quite a few advances I didn't think came along until a bit later. That generator, the fuel pump and carburetor, hydraulic brakes and front wheel brakes, the wheels and tires, the list goes on. I'll have to completely re-think what I thought I knew.

jim43

Jim43,

You put it very nicely.

I hope the guys bidding on this don't really believe that line "This beautiful car was build in 1919 and all parts are original". More like 2009. That Delco generator was never in a MB that I know, but then there is a lot I don't know.

Dave

I'm most enthralled by the rear end shot. The graceful flow of the gorgeous Teutonic coachwork, the top you could bounce a quarter off of. And that sumptuous interior with the original ribbed rubber carpeting, you just can't buy that sort of quiet elegance any more. I'm sure we will see it at Pebble Beach soon.

One of the first things I look at in an "original" car, is the firewall - it tells a lot about jury - rigging, and this one is no exception. The coil is obviously not in its original position, and the wiring is all poorly re -done. And what is that in the frame? Looks like a bracket that goes nowhere. Not the way Mercedes would build a car.

All that is is a homebuilt contraption. All the early Mercedes that I've ever seen from that ere were large, magnificent machines. That thing looks like it came from the Roger Rabbit ride at Disneyland. How about the front tires that are not centered under the fenders, which look suspiciously like Model "A" Ford. Those rears were not stamped out in 1919, I will bet all that I have on that. He has his buddies bidding on it to drive the price up. I hope some poor sap doesn't bite and buy that awful thing. I seriously think the Brewster is a much better looking "car"

I am curious about the engine. Did Merc ever build a flathead?

Guest Gary Hearn

After reading the comments for the past 24 hours, I decided to take a look. In no way is this a vintage vehicle, do you think that Mercedes would use a painted cast iron pipe for a bumper??? The dimensions all look exaggerated, a late teens car (even a speedster) would be more massive and have a taller rear deck. The knobs on the dash are mismatched and look modern and the seats seem to be some type of '60's bucket from what I can see.

I suspect that the engine may be from some sort of industrial application (forerunner of Hercules IXB?) and while I know nothing of early M-B's, I suspect an original would have chrome and at least a wood dash and steering wheel. I agree on the carb and the manifolds look modern.

All in all, a true M-B would never have left the factory with such a "Plain Jane" appearance. I hope the buyer does not get taken on this deal....

I don't know anything about 1919 Mercedes, but I think that the seller is quite truthful when he said this... "is not easy to locate something like it. The photos speak for it self."

I don't think that Herman Munster would be caught dead in it. He had way too much class!

Guest DeSoto Frank

Holy smoke- it's "My Mother the Benz" !

Definitely a WTF moment, if you'll pardon my German...

Benz did build some L-head engines; a few years back, there was a '52 Benz 170 (?) sedan at Macungie; I couldn't get over the L-head four, with updraft carburetion, and gravity fuel-feed from a cowl-mounted tank... that kind of tech in 1952, from one of Europe's legendary uber-car manufacturers ?

It was a neat little car, in nice shape, but by American standards, was outdated by 1938.

Back to the eBay "Benz"... anybody regognize what country the license plate is from?

The front suspension appears to have a tranverse leaf spring like a Willys or Studebaker. Generator appears to be Delco-Remy.

Goodness knows what this thing was cobbled-together from... but it's pretty hideous, and "wrong" on every level for a 1919 car of ANY make...

And it's been bid up to $15,000 ? Something smells fishy...

Edited by DeSoto Frank (see edit history)

I could not contain myself any longer. I sent the seller a question to ask if he was trying to defraud someone, or if he was himself defrauded and actually thought that what he was selling was an actual 1919 Mercedes. It will be interesting to see if I get a response.

I would bet the engine and chassis are correct for whatever this USED to be ... body is obviously assembled from scrap parts lying about, perhaps made in India?

the chassis is interesting looking, early 50's??? note the brackets on the lh side that used to attach a body some derivative of a Jeep?

I got the following response from the Seller...

"thank you for email,

you need only bid this item if you like it,any you buy car with all info in the ad.

thanks"

I guess that clears it up... or maybe not!

If you analyze the bidding history of the bidders on this item, I don't think he has anybody bidding it up for him. None of the bidders have done a lot of previous business with this seller. (of course with a feedback rating in single digits, I guess that would be difficult anyway). It is interesting to note that several of the bidders do have history of bid retractions, so maybe something funny is going on. I have been on Ebay for 7 years and have never retracted a single bid.

I think it just shows that P.T. Barnum was right. One really is born every minute.

Guest Xprefix28truck

I would bet that this whole thing is a scam. The picture is probably from a different source and used in the article. I may be wrong but who knows. Another website that I am on quite frequently just had a tractor for sale that was using pictures from a Canadian dealers site. Luckily someone froma Canada saw both sites and alerted everyone. I wonder if the seller could produce additional pictures if requested?

I would bet that this whole thing is a scam. The picture is probably from a different source and used in the article. I may be wrong but who knows. Another website that I am on quite frequently just had a tractor for sale that was using pictures from a Canadian dealers site. Luckily someone froma Canada saw both sites and alerted everyone. I wonder if the seller could produce additional pictures if requested?

You could ask and find out. I have no idea why anyone would actually want to see more photos of that thing.

Guest Gary Hearn

Notice the pictures were taken on the street in front of the large house. I suspect that this was staged to impress people that the car was the real deal and out of a high end collection. I also noticed that the grammar was poor.

From ebay

This listing (320427313941) has been removed, or this item is not available.

* Please check that you've entered the correct item number

* Listings that have ended 90 or more days ago will not be available for viewing.

Guest Xprefix28truck

I asked to see more pictures of the rearend assembly. They said they would send them to me in a day or two. I guess now we know there wasn't anything right about that auction.........