Car show fees

LINC400

I keep getting tons of flyers tossed into my car advertising car shows all over the place. Most of these are now charging $20 or more for you to bring your car. My opinion is, the cars are the entertainment, and should be allowed in free if not paid to appear. You are not going to have a car show if no cars show up. So I find it really annoying to pay to enter my car, yet spectators are allowed in free. Then I have to wipe all their fingerprints off of it. I can see a small fee for buying the trophies, goody bags, and raffle prizes. But I will not pay more than spectators. Especially since I am not interested in trophies, and my car is never going to win one.

Personally I will not pay more than $10 to enter a car show, and that is only if spectators have to pay as well. Otherwise I will just park my car in the lot and go in for free as a spectator.

What is everyone else willing to pay?

I've always felt the same way but I think the reality of the situation is that not many people would pay to see a bunch of old cars. That leaves the participants as the only source of revenue to pay the costs. The trophies are just "bait"...........Bob

I understand your position, but let me give you the opposing position. Our OCA chapter (Capitol City Rockets) jointly hosts an All-GM show with the local Buick Club chapter every year. We charge $15 per car in advance and $20 on the day of the show. Our costs include the trophies, DJ, lot rental (from a college), printing fliers, mailings, and other expenses. We also pay to produce T-shirts, but we sell those and usually at least break even.

This year we had about 130 cars and after all expenses, the two clubs split less than $200 in profit. We're not exactly raking in the dough, and something like $75% of the gross goes to trophies, which go to the car owners, not the spectators.

I attend about 6 Concours a year. Many have been forced to seek other revenue streams as the shows are very expensive to put on. The auto companies have totally bailed on the shows as a cost cutting measure.

My wife and I are on the executive board of a show in western Michigan. The director came up with a masterful plan to keep car owners from paying the tab. I objected to any kind of fees so he went out into the community and got business sponsors for the individual cars at $35.00. The Voice of Meadow Brook does a pass in review. If you give up another $15.00 the sponsor gets to ride in the car and mentions the company name.

I think that that's appropriate. Without the car, you have no show, Without the owner, you have no car. You have to treat the owner right.

The going rate for local shows in Southeastern NC is usually $15 pre-registered, and $20 for day of show registration.

For our local chapter shows, at that rate, after buying trophys and dash plaques we would lose money on the show if it were not for sponsor dollars and the 50/50 raffle. I have no problem at all paying $20 for a local show. I don't even want to talk about what I have spent for travel, lodging, registration, etc. for national shows.

$20 for a local show is cheap entertainment. The free food that a car owner receives at our local chapter show is worth the entry fee.

There are different types of shows. For a car club event, whatever is charged goes for club expenses like food and trophies. I have no problem with that. National or regional meets are entirely different also and a great vacation value.

I am talking about Bob's Burger Barn is putting on its first annual car show. There is no preregistration, it is just $20. Bob is hoping to drum up business for his Burger Barn and make a profit on the car show as well. There is no free anything, you pay full price for whatever you eat at Bob's, and get a cheap dash plaque, and maybe if you have the goofiest custom there, a cheap trophy. Since it is in Bob's parking lot, there is no lot rental. This is the type of show that really annoys me. If I want to go at all, I just go as a spectator. Flyers for this type of event have been piling up in my car anytime I go to any car event.

On the other hand, there is a local place that has a weekly cruise night to drum up business. The place pays for a DJ, but there are no trophys or dash plaques. There is no charge, and car owners get 10% off their food order. That I do attend.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

Most of the brand specific events I attend charge spectators to enter as well as car owners, new parts vendors and flea market vendors. In most cases, show cars pay $5 to $10 more than spectators. The revenue streams and costs involved with producing a car show make this necessary.

Some other costs involved in car shows not mentioned earlier often include:

Event Insurance (BIG, BIG, Cost), security (state and local police do not work for free), advertising, compensation for judges (money or lunch or a free t-shirt or a combination of all of these) and a host of other things. These items can make the cost of trophies, goody bags and raffle prizes a very small part of the cost to put on some car shows.

FYI, the car shows I refer to in this post are not of the Bob's Burger Barn variety....

Edited by charlier (see edit history)

I haven't had a car in a show in over 10 years. The entry fee never bothered me, we just ran out of quality shows. Having a car in a show traps you there for a fair amount of the day, besides car show is just a walk through after I've found what I want at the flea market. No flea market, no reason to attend a show IMO.

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

Guest Bluesky636

And let's not forget that many car shows collect money for benefit to charity. The club that I used to belong to donated about $30,000.00 (after expenses) from one show (in conjunction with the local Lion's Club share from food sales) to the educational trust fund for the children of two local police officers who were slain in the line of duty by a psycho gunman in the police station parking lot. If the club and charity are ones I know, I will gladly kick in an extra $5.00 above the entry fee as an extra donation.

Frankly, if you have spent $10/$15/$20K or more on your car and you balk at $15.00 or $20.00 for a car show, then you are in the wrong hobby. Nothing is free these days.

Interesting topic! I'm with Bob on the swap meet issue. Gone are the good old days when you could park your car and head straight over to the swap meet area. Winchester Va has a show that is still like that. I don't hesitate to pay the entry fee for most events if there is some value in doing so. Here in Va our local Shriners hold a great show that raises money for the Shrine Burn Centers, so that is our main charity event. What I dislike is the feeling that someone is making money by collecting admission for folks to see our cars.

Terry

Many people don't understand how most Concours shows work. Most are 501 © (3) charities. As such, the entire gate, less the shows expenses goes to the charity, be it a woman's or children's charity or a foundation for the preservation of the venue, there is almost always a charity involved. The shows raise money in other ways. Typically there is an art tent where automotive artists show their wares. A percentage of their sales also goes to the charity. There is often a black-tie event the night before the show that raises a huge amount of money for the charity. At Amelia Island in 2003 the black-tie event took in $125,000 for 500 plates. Mercedes picked up the cost of the catered meal and the whole ticket price went to the charity. Mercedes took it as a marketing expense and the charity got a pile of money.

The black tie events often have auctions. Get a bunch of rich people licquered-up and let them bid against each other for ridiculous things and the sky is literally the limit. I was at the Cranbrook Concours auction and someone paid $10,000 for a 1/2 hour ride with Bob Lutz in his fighter plane. Some other person bid $10,000 for a case of Mario Andretti's wine. Auctions raised big dollars before the economy went south.

There are some tax ramifications to participating in a charity show. If you go to Meadow Brook the tickets are $25. It's tax deductible less the value of the poster you picked up. It's the same for the black-tie event. You get to deduct the $250 ticket cost of the ticket less the value of the dinner, in this case, valued at $50.

On the showman's side there a pretty good benefit, too. Our cars are what the show is about. Without the cars, there would be no show. Without the owners, there would be no cars. Without the cars, there would be no funds raised. We are contributing to the show. The cost of travel for the owner and the vehicle, lodging and other travel-related expenses. It was recommended to me by a panel of tax law experts that I only take my travel and food expense, but not my wife's. We do take both black-tie tickets as that's legit.

To me it's a chance to do good while doing well. It's also a chance to rub elbows with the rich and famous, without being either. Boy, we've made a whole bunch of lasting friendships, too.

Our local non AACA club did a show for 20 years (starting in 1972) a each year risked the club treasury on good weather and some years made $200.00. Trophies got some cars but drove others away, caused hard feelings, and generally got old to the seasoned antique car people.

Then we found a local public historical park that needed help and volunteered

our labor in exchange for a meeting place. We offered a FREE annual antique car show in 1988 and kept with the historical parks request to keep it antique and allowed first only pre WWII cars. We offered an old fashioned picnic for the car owners to come in period costume and picnic on the grounds and have a non competitive day enjoying the cars and each other. Awards by peoples choice where gift cetificates to local resturants. We got 80 cars!!! So, we quit the trophy show. Over the years we've grown to allow up to 1959 and older cars, motorcycles & boats. We get 160 participants and have a great time.

When we needed a trophy we went to the local AACA Show, which folded this year after 35 years. Now if we need a trophy we go to the local drive in that

doesn't know an antique from a hot rod.

As the 35 year old AACA show got smaller and smaller and had fewer and fewer Pre WWII cars we suggested $1.00 registration for a dash plaque for the real old cars and no trophies, to attract real old antique cars. No, they said pay the $20.00 and win a trophy or stay home. We went, but mostly to the flea market until it became yard sale trash.

Look for new ideas and keep the hobby fun, it's really a lot more than just trophies. We also tour every month and get 12-40 pre WWII cars out and enjoy them. We use the older cars up front rule to slow the tour to the old car pace. Plus when I drive a 1934 car I see others in front and behind from the same era. Makes it more like a trip to the Twilight Zone.

Did the Chilson Family Reunion last weekend in Lawrenceville, PA. About 75 to 100 AMCs, 10 or so flea market vendors. No entry fee for anyone, no trophies, no dash plaques, and a great buffet luncheon for everyone. It was a great, no pressure display of cars in an old AMC dealership parking lot.

Did the Gould show this summer. Its a few bucks if you buy the meal package, but there is little or no charge to show or look at cars. Kids get rides in tiny old cars for free. This is probably the greatest car show on the east coast.

I've done a few cruise ins this summer. No charge, some nice cars, lots of people. Always entertaining.

Done a few concours shows. Nice cars but your expected to do something for the charity which I guess is ok.

Bill

Didn't give out class judging trophies at our local show this year. I don't think anyone missed them. We did invite anyone with a car, rat rod, resto rod, truck, daily driver of museum car to attend. We charged a token admission to defray some of our costs. Most people enjoyed the show.

Macungie does not give out any trophies. They charge spectators and have a big crowd. I've always enjoyed the show.

If the object is to get people interested in and grow the appreciation people have for old cars and have fun, the free shows like cruise ins in a high traffic area are probably the best. If the object is to get recognition for cars, the recognition of a local trophy is bogus. If the object is to raise money, I'm not sure how to do it with old cars.

Bill

Edited by Bill Clark
Added name (see edit history)

Guest Skyking

I like cruise nights. Most are free with the exception of two in my area. They charge $1.00 to get in. They say it goes to charity which I don't mind. What bothers me is the ton of flyers that are in my convertible when I leave blowing all over the place.

I can see where trophies cost money, but nowadays, there are so many classes to satisfy all participants at shows near where I live that it gets kinda out of hand. Heaven forbid a guy goes home without a trophy. It's as if they are trying to be politically correct or something by giving everyone an award. I don't pay to show my car and I don't care about trophies, so I guess I will save myself some money. If there is a show that wants a donation for some good cause, I will be the first one to contribute and show my car (when I can do both), but just to pay for your own trophy? No thanks. I remember when places asked us to show our cars and actually bought us lunch or breakfast or something just for us to show up. Now we gotta pay?

When we needed a trophy we went to the local AACA Show, which folded this year after 35 years.

As the 35 year old AACA show got smaller and smaller and had fewer and fewer Pre WWII cars we suggested $1.00 registration for a dash plaque for the real old cars and no trophies, to attract real old antique cars. No, they said pay the $20.00 and win a trophy or stay home. We went, but mostly to the flea market until it became yard sale trash.

Paul:

Sorry to see this show come to an end after all of these years. I had attended every year since 1996. Unfortunately, the last couple of years were nothing like your years in Gulfport.

Most of the shows I attend benefit a chosen charity. My local Mustang Club sponsors an annual show, that has allowed us to buy a hands-on exhibit at a local childrens museum. We also host a show that benefits a local Christmas project.

Trophies are a no win situation. Several years ago, we were told that our show gave out too many trophies, and that winning one had little meaning. The following year, we cut back, and people complained that they did not win anything. We've actually joked about allowing participants to mark "guaranteed trophy" on their registration form, charge them $25.00, and be done with it.

I enjoy getting my car out and driving it (it is a Senior GN winner), as well as associating with my friends at shows. The entry fees are not an issue for a nice afternoon or evening out.

Kevin

Frankly, if you have spent $10/$15/$20K or more on your car and you balk at $15.00 or $20.00 for a car show, then you are in the wrong hobby. Nothing is free these days.

Nice attitude. You do not need to be loaded with cash or pay $20 any time you want to show your car to be in the old car hobby.

Cruise nights are almost always free, and I can go to a good one every Tues, Weds, Thurs, Fri, and Sun night. There are plenty more that I don't bother with on those and other days, all free.

There are also plenty of club events that I go to, all free, unless you have to pay for admission to some museum or something.

There are also a number of different car shows around here that you can attend for free, or a smaller $5 or $10 fee, but you get lunch or something else of value. You don't pay $20 and then have to pay full price to eat. As far as being stuck there all day, most shows around here, you have to be there by a certain time to register, but can leave anytime. Most people leave as soon as trophys are handed out.

For charity events, that is nice if part of the admission goes to charity. But I am not going to pay to show my car if spectators can get in for free. I'll just park and walk in as a spectator. Mr. & Mrs. Gottrocks with the multiple Duesenbergs and Rolls Royces can pay to enter, pay too much for auction items, and complain when their blank check restoration didn't get them a trophy. I need my cash to do basic repairs, put gas in it, and pay for my hotel.

I attend a car event or 2 almost every weekend from mid-April through mid-October. If I paid $20 for each time I went, that would be about $700.00 a year. Maybe that is nothing to some people, but that puts a lot of gas in my Lincoln.

An interesting topic. I do not like having to pay high entry fees (High=$10 and up), but understand the expense side a bit.

At the same time, I definitely feel spectators, who are being entertained or they would not come, should carry some of the load. A nominal sum, say $2, should be charged all adult spectators. Kids (17 & under) should be admitted free.

not all cruise nights are free

As I already said ALMOST all cruise nights are free. I pay zero for any cruise night I go to.

There are a lot of car museums and concours events in this country. If no one was willing to pay to see the cars in them, they wouldn't exist. So I see no reason why spectators should be allowed in for free, and I should have to pay $20 to show my car. Then I have to wipe off the fingerprints, ice cream and soda they get on it. If it costs me more to show up at a car show with a car than without one, then I am not going to register a car. No cars registered = no car show.

Guest Bluesky636
If it costs me more to show up at a car show with a car than without one, then I am not going to register a car. No cars registered = no car show.

Nice attitude.

From the number of shows I have attended, I am happy to say that not everyone feels the same as you do.

Guest Bluesky636
I just can not believe you folks are talking about a 20 buck fee for a show ,when there is a nice original ,being cut apart ,Maybe sold for parts.

Agree.

If someone doesn't want to pay to show their car, then don't do it. I doubt that they will be missed.

Nice attitude.

From the number of shows I have attended, I am happy to say that not everyone feels the same as you do.

Yes it is a nice attitude. I am tired of Bob's Burger Barn type places thinking that they are going to hold a car show to increase their business, and even make a profit on the car show when they do nothing other than distribute some flyers and buy a few cheap trophys. They do not own any cars to put in the show, do not know anything about cars to be able to judge them, and think that they should charge car owners for the priveledge of increasing their business and buying food there.

I probably attend more car shows than most people here. And I do not care for the attitude that you better fork over cash if you want to be in a car show or even own an old car. That is certainly not going to attract younger or new people to the hobby. As I have already stated, I attend plenty of car shows for free or a minimal fee with some benefits for the car owner. And I am busy almost every weekend from April to October. So there is absolutely no need for me to pay to increase Bob's business.

Ever been to a concours event? The cars are much nicer there than what is at the Burger Barn, and they usually do not pay $20 to enter. The spectators pay to see them.

As far as nice original cars being cut up for customs, I do not like it either. But it is not going to change by not talking about this or any other subject. I understood this was a forum to discuss subjects about old cars. If you do not like this or any other topic, then don't read it. In fact the $20 Bob's Burger Barn type show actually encourages people to cut up more old cars because the goofiest custom or rod is what almost always wins Best of Show and most other awards. The beautifully restored Hudson or Packard is never going to win anything there.

When it comes to putting one's car in a car show that is a personal decision based on a number of factors.

Personally, I think there are different types/categories of car shows.

There are the:

- "for profit" events put on like Bob's Burger Barn done as a promotion for a business

- "charity" events put on as Fund Raisers to benefit a charitable organization

- "club" events put on by a car club to raise money for club activities (Cruise Nights for example)

- "promoter" events put on to simply make money

Depending on the type/category of event I am sometimes more or less likely to attend. The amount of money I am willing to spend for a car show fee and travel expenses can also vary depending on the event (more for charity or club events, less for the "profit" variety).

You typically pay a lot more than $20 if entering a vehicle in a concours as generally they require traveling, hotel expensive's, days off work, meals, etc, etc.

Granted $20 seems a bit much for a local show especially if you don't get anything for it. The layout at some of these locals shows would make it difficult to charge spectator admission. At our AACA local show we charge spectators $2 a head and it helps somewhat. Having run a local show for several years (135 cars) the $10 vehicle fee helped to pay for the non sponsored trophies, flyers, misc, etc. The only area we made any money was in the food sales.

You have to pay for gas, food, hotel if you stay overnite for a cruise night, concours, or Bob's. The difference is, you usually do not pay $20 to register your car except at Bob's, which offers nothing in return.

As far as it being difficult to charge spectators in some cases, that is true. However, the local burger place here decided to have a car show to increase their business. Obviously they cannot charge spectators. So instead they give car owners 10% off their food order to encourage cars to show up. Their business triples when they have a car show, and at no cost to car owners. Much better in my opinion than expecting car owners to pay $20 to increase their business.

I will be attending a car show at a county fair this weekend. I have to pay $10 to enter my car, but then get free admission to the fair. I have attended car shows at museums that did the same. In either case I get something of value, free admission, door prizes, free lunch, whatever. That is a lot different than expecting to hold a car show to increase your business, and then expecting car owners to pay for it.

I am curious to see if people are desperate enough to collect trophys to pay $20 to enter these events. Keep in mind that these are not AACA or CCCA trophys, but Best in Show according to Bob or the general public that showed up that day. However, most of these conflicted with better car events. So I have not shown up at any even as a spectator to see how many cars show up.

Guest Bluesky636
You have to pay for gas, food, hotel if you stay overnite for a cruise night, concours, or Bob's. The difference is, you usually do not pay $20 to register your car except at Bob's, which offers nothing in return.

As far as it being difficult to charge spectators in some cases, that is true. However, the local burger place here decided to have a car show to increase their business. Obviously they cannot charge spectators. So instead they give car owners 10% off their food order to encourage cars to show up. Their business triples when they have a car show, and at no cost to car owners. Much better in my opinion than expecting car owners to pay $20 to increase their business.

I will be attending a car show at a county fair this weekend. I have to pay $10 to enter my car, but then get free admission to the fair. I have attended car shows at museums that did the same. In either case I get something of value, free admission, door prizes, free lunch, whatever. That is a lot different than expecting to hold a car show to increase your business, and then expecting car owners to pay for it.

I am curious to see if people are desperate enough to collect trophys to pay $20 to enter these events. Keep in mind that these are not AACA or CCCA trophys, but Best in Show according to Bob or the general public that showed up that day. However, most of these conflicted with better car events. So I have not shown up at any even as a spectator to see how many cars show up.

It is clear that you have a problem paying to enter car shows unless you "get something of value" in return. Many others do not seem to have that problem. So what is the point of your post? To criticize shows that charge owners a fee and force them to change their ways by not attending? To criticize those car owner's who don't feel the same as you do? I would really like to understand what you expect to accomplish out of all this? Otherwise, I find this thread to be of absolutely no value.

Right on LINC400, I'm with you. An entry fee to show a car is crazy. More power to them if they can find people who are willing to pay, but I certainly won't be there.

I attended a "benefit" cruise night yesterday evening in Guilford, CT. As you can see from the advertising sandwichboard that had been displayed in town for the past week or so, the entry fee was a "donation" (see below).

I was happy to throw a $5 into the donation jug that a man was holding as I drove up to the entrance of the grassy show field, and was happy to know that the local high school robotics program was going to benefit from the funds raised.

Plus, I had fun participating in a fun local old car gathering, and checking out all the other cool old cars.

post-34222-143138108943_thumb.jpg

EDIT: If the above image doesn't enlarge when you click on it--like it's not doing on my computer right now--you can also use the following link to a larger view, where all the printing on the poster should be readable:

http://forums.aaca.org/attachments/f169/36318d1252679213-car-show-fees-bishopscruisesignatglfrdgreen.jpg

*Never Forget 9-11-2001*

Edited by stock_steve
add image link (see edit history)

It is clear that you have a problem paying to enter car shows unless you "get something of value" in return. Many others do not seem to have that problem. So what is the point of your post? To criticize shows that charge owners a fee and force them to change their ways by not attending? To criticize those car owner's who don't feel the same as you do? I would really like to understand what you expect to accomplish out of all this? Otherwise, I find this thread to be of absolutely no value.

My original question was "What are you willing to pay to attend a car show?" A simple question with no right or wrong answer. It is you who chose to attack telling me that if I am not willing to pay $20, then I have no business being in the old car hobby, and I will not be missed. I would not say that to anyone regardless of what they are willing to pay at a car show.

Apparently you have no problem paying $20. Why would you choose to do that at a show that does not benefit any car club or charity? Is there a lack of car shows in your area? Do you go to collect trophys? Is there some other reason you would want to pay $20 to attend a show that benefits no one but a commercial establishment putting on a show to increase their business and offer you nothing in return when you could attend other shows for less or free? What would be too much to attend a show at Bob's Burger Barn $35, $50, $100? There is no right or wrong answer. It is an OPINION. I thought this was a place to discuss topics and opinions regarding old cars.

Yes, I do enjoy looking at my car in the garage or driveway. It is a shame if you cannot. I also enjoy looking at my car and other cars at cruise nights and car shows that do not charge $20 or more.

My original question was "What are you willing to pay to attend a car show?" A simple question with no right or wrong answer....

...Is there some other reason you would want to pay $20 to attend a show that benefits no one but a commercial establishment putting on a show to increase their business and offer you nothing in return when you could attend other shows for less or free?

See, the problem is that in one breath you claim there is no right or wrong answer, yet in the next breath you criticize people who don't agree with you. If you don't believe in spending $15 or $20, that's your right. Others of us don't consider that a major expense and have no problem with it. Different people have different financial situations and opinions. As you said, there is no right or wrong answer. As with others, I don't understand what your original intent was in starting this thread, other than to criticize those who don't agree with you.

Guest Bluesky636

Ok. I'll answer the original question: I'll pay $25.00.

And I don't care if I get anything back from the organizers/promotors or not. I don't go to a car show to collect material things (although a dash plaque is nice, it is inconsequential). My car is not a show car so I don't care about trophies.

What do I get out of a car show? The chance to meet other car people and admire their cars. The chance to meet spectators and tell them all about my car and to listen to them tell about how they or their family had a similar car when they were growing up. I go there for FUN.

I'm done with this thread.

Ok. I'll answer the original question: I'll pay $25.00.

What do I get out of a car show? The chance to meet other car people and admire their cars. The chance to meet spectators and tell them all about my car and to listen to them tell about how they or their family had a similar car when they were growing up. I go there for FUN.

And, I go to support the many car clubs that also do charity work for local retirement homes, convalesce centers, and anything else that makes "us" older people happy, when we're not able to get out in the public anymore. Our regional AACA club does just that, showcasing our cars to make others happy. To be able to do this we charge show car fees and spectator parking fees for our annual show, so we are able to support our club throughout the year.

Speaking of older people, I've had a phone call from a childhood friend that is in a rest home due to a fall. I think I'll drive one of my antique cars to see her. Maybe it will brighten her day or someone's day and bring back good memories from their past.

Wayne

Guest windjamer

Way to go Wayne. Last Mo. I put togather a mini car show for the folks at a local nurseing home. Some of them actualy had tears on there check as they looked at the cars. A nurse told me one of the patiants hadnt been out of his room in five years, but he came out to see the cars. They actualy cheared as each car left. Today I took both cars to a cruse in to raise mony for a local kidney transplant.No trophys,just a fun day for a good cause. I think there where over 200 cars. I will admit I am a trophy hound. I attend a show almost every week sometimes two and I like to win . I most allways do and I should, Both cars are Nat> Seniors. BUT< I DONT KEEP THE TROPHY>. At the end of the year I take them to a kids race track and donate them so ALL the kids get something. Thers a lot to this old car hobby:)

I understand your position, but let me give you the opposing position. Our OCA chapter (Capitol City Rockets) jointly hosts an All-GM show with the local Buick Club chapter every year. We charge $15 per car in advance and $20 on the day of the show. Our costs include the trophies, DJ, lot rental (from a college), printing fliers, mailings, and other expenses. We also pay to produce T-shirts, but we sell those and usually at least break even.

This year we had about 130 cars and after all expenses, the two clubs split less than $200 in profit. We're not exactly raking in the dough, and something like $75% of the gross goes to trophies, which go to the car owners, not the spectators.

Several years ago when I was with CCR, we had astounding dealer support from not one, but two great Oldsmobile dealers here in the DC area. One of them completely sponsored and paid for our formal fall show (free shirts, awards, dash plaques, and the club kept all the bucks from the registration fees), and a second not only did a spring dustoff, but also allowed us to use the shop once a month, and fed us on those days as well! As a result we were able to keep registration fees down for the fall show, and the spring one was a freebee. At that time we could not charge an admission for spectators because the OCA insurance didn't permit it. When I went as a spectator a few years ago to a show that was put on by a local street rod club, I was incensed and surprised at having to pay three bucks for admission, because of that.

Alas, both of those dealerships are now down the tubes, of course... so CCR has lost its dealer (financial!) support. (Of course, many other makes have the same problem!) The local Buick group is in a similar bind, with declining membership and spotty dealer support. I guess the way to look at it might be to be aware of where the registration fees go, and if it's for something you support (the club or a charity), then it's worthwhile.