Is the Hershey Car Show or the flea market getting preference.

Ricko1937

Please don't get me wrong here because I have been attending Hershey for over 30 years, but it seems to me after viewing the field maps and car show area that the flea market is getting the preferred areas over the show. The Judges parking is around the Arena on asphalt and the car show is on grass outside the area. I like car shows on grass but heaven forbid when you get that 3 day rain and sooner or later you will get it. You can't expect some of these cars to be driving thru the mud. Even the trailer parking is in a field that I have seen 4 wheel drive tractors pulling trailers out. Years ago when the show fields were around the stadium (on asphalt), it was centrally located between the flea markets. People could walk between the flea market fields thru the car show. I don't want to upset anybody here because I can't imagine how hard it is to setup a show of this magnitude. I just feel the car show could use a little more respect. With all the asphalt that is now available the show should be on dry ground. Thanks for listening to my thoughts.

Here is some perspective. The flea market and car corral people are usually at the meet from Tuesday thru Saturday. The car show is one day. When it rained heavily two years ago less than 500 out of 1500 actually showed anyway. The car show is on a former golf course and drains very well. There has been some work done to the show site with removal of trees, a new entrance to avoid the stone road and it will be rolled and cut a few days prior to the meet.

Eventually, the show will probably be back on blacktop. The town will not allow the blacktopping of the golf course area yet. Where would you put the vendors if you tried to put the cars on blacktop? If you moved vendors to the golf course you would put a huge burden for walking the entire event...it would stretch so far and people complain right now how much walking they have to do. Only so much room available as the white field, blue field and blue field north are no longer available to the region. You can only do with what you have. The region has worked very hard to come up with solutions that will please everyone but they cannot work miracles.

Guest windjamer

Rick I have to agree with you. I could be wrong but I think the show was on blacktop for the past 8-10 years except last year. I missed last year due to a wedding,but I was told it was on the golf course ?? Anyway I heard a a lot of complants.Unevan ground,some tree stumps I dont know only what SOME people said. I sure do wish it was back at the event center. Like you its just imho and your right our guys and gals do a hell of a good job.

As of today there will be no parking on the lot until the day of the show. The stumps have been removed and the field will be rolled.

IMHO, the cars did look much nicer on grass and it was a very nice Autumn day which made the cars photograph great. Hard to find a major concour event whether it is Pebble Beach, Amelia Island or Meadowbrook that is on hard paving.

I do understand those that worry about mud but having had that happen to me at other shows I know that mud does clean!

Jamer, I took pictures of pretty much everything on the show field last year. Although some parts of the grounds were not completely level, as a show field it was beautiful. Lots of nice trees surrounding the field gave a beautiful back drop for pictures. It gave the show field a secluded look even. As a spectator, it was easier on the feet too.

I'm looking forward to this year.

Wayne

Guest windjamer

thanks for the info. Steve and Wayne, like I said I missed last year ( I informed all the kids no one is allowed to marry graduate or die in future hershey days week.) Steve, Ricky Nelson said it best. You cant please every body so you might as well please yourself.

Last year was my first (of many planned) visits to Hershey. Even though there were rains that week, the show field was not bad. The only problem that I had was that I had to clean a lot of mud from the trailer parking area off of the car after I got to the showfield. From my experience, the grass show field was not a problem at all. The trailer parking area is where I would concentrate on trying to make improvements if any are possible. With that said, it would be very difficult to make it any better. Hats off to everybody involved in producing a great show!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Moskowitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I do understand those that worry about mud but having had that happend to me at other shows I know that mud does clean! </div></div>

Ask anyone that attended the AACA National show in Huntington, W. Va. quite a few years ago. None have forgotten that show. sick.gif

They planned the show for the park right on the river, with no "Plan B" incase of rain. It had VERY recently been relandscaped which included lots of soft top soil and new grass grown from seed. It rained for several days in a row. After about the third car it turned into a quagmire. Some cars never left their trailers.

But many brave souls took their cars onto that showfield. Their cars were judged in a downpour. It was their choice to do so.

At the award dinner they smiled just a much as folks that have their cars judged on a paved lot and a bright sunny day. grin.gif

Trees were not murdered..only the dead ones and the low hanging branches. However, you now can drive in on the grass close to the center tree line and fan out to your space. You do not have to travel on a gravel road. I think this is "more better"! smile.gif

Trees were murdered on the Orange Field but HERCO planted over 1,000 new trees on their property. Hopefully they will be very, very slow growers or stay short like me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ron Green</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I too like the grass however I would like to sit with my car this year and not 35" away due to space limitations. </div></div>

Ron

You're complaining about being three feet away from your car.??? If you were any closer to it, you'd be polishing it. Just how close do you want to be?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You're complaining about being three feet away from your car.??? If you were any closer to it, you'd be polishing it. Just how close do you want to be? </div></div>

Ignore him West. He's just whining because they won't let him put up an above ground pool to show his car in. cool.gifgrin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Moskowitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The exact show I was thinking about...I brought out two cars! My 1920 and my 1904 Olds! It was horrendous but heck I had nothing to do when I got back anyway! smile.gif </div></div>

It was pretty awful. I had no idea I was feeling bad for you back then. But I did feel really badly for the folks that brought those beautiful cars. But one has to admire anyone willing to still bring their car out in conditions like they had that day.

The Huntington Region held the show with our region providing added "helping hands".

See I told all of you, people that were there will NEVER forget that show. wink.gifwhistle.gifgrin.gif

Guest Stonefish

I'm predicting mass gridlock getting on the show field this year...If they are routing the cars around the new road behind the Giant Center (where it appears the car corral is on) exiting that area onto Hockersville Road will most likely cause the "funnel" affect.

I just hope, when it comes to departure time, they have better direction for those folks that are not local!

Steve,

I know that the decisions are made at Hershey Region and not in your office, but to be honest with you, I too liked the show on the grass last year.

Initially I wasn't too happy to have the show on grass at all, but once we got out there, it was nice, and it did drain quite well.

I've been on my share of grass showfield that were less than desireable, but the place where the show was held last year was actually a pretty nice piece of real estate.

Intially I thought the grass should have been cut prior to the show last year, but by the end of the day, the grass had been trampled down enough to where it wasn't bad at all.

I for one have never been a fan of grass showfields, but in the case of Hershey, don't mock it 'til you've tried it. It really turned out to be very nice.

No, actually we were thirty five feet away however we ended up moving to the middle of the aisle after about an hour. It was like sitting in the middle of a stampede. eek.gif There were about 6 of us that couldn't sit with our cars.

No big deal for me as I generally am out gawking and BS'ing but the wife was grumbling. mad.gif

Susan, the year I showed Amphi at Hershey I moved 35' away until the guy with the Nova in my class begged me to move it. Seems the people were driving him nuts with questions. crazy.gif

Pat, as I said the grass will be cut on Tuesday or Wednesday this year and they will be rolling the entire field. HERCO has been very accommodating. They have reseeded some areas and the stumps have been ground out. By not using the gravel road it should help make every one's day much more pleasant.

Ron Mann, there is new signage that HERCO uses for all their major events that should help traffic flow better. I am sure with the amount of traffic their might be problems but disagree with you on the gridlock. A lot of planning has gone into this event by the region and Herco. Hopefully everything will work out

Ron Green, don't let West get away with the 35" versus 35'...heck it is only one apostrophe away! The rows are tight. That is not going to get much better as it is the only footprint available. I remember all the other times I showed at Hershey there was never room for me to sit by my car...not that I could since the traffic was overwhelming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ron Green</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Susan, the year I showed Amphi at Hershey I moved 35' away until the guy with the Nova in my class begged me to move it. Seems the people were driving him nuts with questions. crazy.gif </div></div>

I thought maybe he was tired of the propwash from the demonstrations. grin.gif

Heck, traffic will be jammed up, it'll probably rain at least one day, it'll probably be hotter than a Model T manifold after a long slow climb at least one day, there will be mud someplace, there will be something I need but can't afford, and something I don't need that comes home anyway - but, it's gonna be Hershey and I'm gonna be there!!! And - if you wanna know the truth, I LOVE IT anyway! The only complaints I've ever had is that I never have enough time or money.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Moskowitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pat, as I said the grass will be cut on Tuesday or Wednesday this year and they will be rolling the entire field. HERCO has been very accommodating. They have reseeded some areas and the stumps have been ground out. By not using the gravel road it should help make every one's day much more pleasant.</div></div>

When the areas were reseeded I would imagine that were compacted well? Normally newly seeded areas have very loose dirt.

The posted layout of the show field makes it appear that although the gravel road is "not being used" show cars will be parked all over it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Moskowitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ron Mann, there is new signage that HERCO uses for all their major events that should help traffic flow better. I am sure with the amount of traffic their might be problems but disagree with you on the gridlock. A lot of planning has gone into this event by the region and Herco. Hopefully everything will work out </div></div>

Speaking of traffic flow and gridlock, will show cars exiting the show field be permitted to turn both left and right onto Hockersville Road?

If all show cars are forced to turn right when leaving the show field how will there not be gridlock like last year?

Are the HERCO signs at ALL Intersections? Has Hershey Region considered posting their own signs directing show cars back to the "Trailer Parking Lots"? Will Hershey Region be putting a map of the area in the show car packet?

As part of all the planning for this year's show will there be Food Vendors CLOSE BY or ON the show field this year? Walking over to the Giant Center last year for food was a waste of precious show car viewing time. The again so was waiting in line for the port-a-potties. Speaking of port-a-potties will there be MORE of them this year on the show field?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Moskowitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ron Green, don't let West get away with the 35" versus 35'...heck it is only one apostrophe away! The rows are tight. That is not going to get much better as it is the only footprint available. I remember all the other times I showed at Hershey there was never room for me to sit by my car...not that I could since the traffic was overwhelming. </div></div>

Why is it the only footprint available? The Show Field appears to be just a TINY portion of what an entire golf course would encompass.

In a post last year I believe someone posted that the golf course was over 100+ acres.

Does the current show field use all that acreage? If not, why not? Why pack all the show vehicles in so tight if there is more space available?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nearchoclatetown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Charlie, a good part of the 100 acres of golf course in verticle. They are useing the best and most accessible area for the show field. </div></div>

Thanks for the input. Not being from the Hershey area one would not know that. Most golf courses I have seen tend to be somewhat more flat as opposed to mostly verticle. Might be part of the the reason why that golf course closed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heck, traffic will be jammed up, it'll probably rain at least one day, it'll probably be hotter than a Model T manifold after a long slow climb at least one day, there will be mud someplace, there will be something I need but can't afford, and something I don't need that comes home anyway - but, it's gonna be Hershey and I'm gonna be there!!! And - if you wanna know the truth, I LOVE IT anyway! The only complaints I've ever had is that I never have enough time or money.</div></div>

You hit the nail on the head. I wouldn't want it any other way. There are years where things aren't always perfect, but in either case, I'll be back next year no matter what happens.

Unless everyone's favorite uncle yanks me back out of retirement and sends me back to the sand, I'll be there. Sore feet, empty wallet, hot, cold, wet, dry, dusty, muddy, etc.

Guest Stonefish

"Ron Mann, there is new signage that HERCO uses for all their major events that should help traffic flow better. I am sure with the amount of traffic their might be problems but disagree with you on the gridlock. A lot of planning has gone into this event by the region and Herco. Hopefully everything will work out"

It's just a prediction...being in gridlock with a slew of the world's best show cars is better than being in gridlock on 81 breathing truck exhaust!!

I've seen HERCO's signage for their big events at the corner Hockersville & W. Chocolate...a route # and an arrow. I hope they consider just releasing the cars North (to the left) on Hockersville Rd...rather than running the South into town or out W. Chocolate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Moskowitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ron Green, don't let West get away with the 35" versus 35'...heck it is only one apostrophe away! </div></div>

Actually, that apostrophy equals just a little-bit more than 10 yards in this case. whistle.gif Which, I might add, would be just about the right amount of space to allow between cars. laugh.gifblush.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Moskowitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ron Green, don't let West get away with the 35" versus 35'...heck it is only one apostrophe away! </div></div>

Actually, that apostrophy equals just a little-bit more than 10 yards in this case. whistle.gif Which, I might add, would be just about the right amount of space to allow between cars. laugh.gifblush.gif </div></div>

Unless you own a Corvette, in which case you will also have to park it diagonally

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stonefish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"It's just a prediction...being in gridlock with a slew of the world's best show cars is better than being in gridlock on 81 breathing truck exhaust!!</div></div>

I agree gridlock with the world's best show cars is better than everyday gridlock. Then again, minimal gridlock would be even better by using ALL the roads at one's disposal to leave the show field.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stonefish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope they consider just releasing the cars North (to the left) on Hockersville Rd...rather than running the South into town or out W. Chocolate. </div></div>

Doesn't Hockersville Rd. bring you out to the traffic light on the four lane road in front of the Giant Center?

That would seem to be a MUCH MORE straightforward route than the "scenic tour" that turning right out of the show field provides.

The police could also run that traffic light manually to allow more than just a few show cars out at each normal light change.

Never could understand why this was not done last year after the car show.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, look where the motorcycles are located on the SHOW CAR FIELD map. Way down in the extreme right corner across the gravel road, behind the toilets and against some fence. Perhaps this location looks better in real life than on the map, but I'm beginning to get the impression that some people feel these historic vehicles just don't "belong". I'm tired of hearing slams, such as "those silly little things" from a few of the users of this forum. I've shown old CARS successfully in AACA for more than 20 years, and now I choose to show some of my motorcycles, but I can see more than a few people look down on these vehicles.

The show field keeps evolving based on space available. Rich has worked very hard at finding ways to make the showfield better. Last year several very expensive concept cars were in the most distant location...it just happens.

Some spaces were determined by the area. There is some new territory that is not as firm as the rest of the site as it has been newly seeded, etc. Lighter vehicles had to be put there.

I can state unequivically that motorcycles and their respective classes are important to AACA. Did you see the cover of our magazines this month? It was not by accident, as West and I felt that it had been too long since a motorcycle graced our cover.

At my age, being close to the toilets is a plus! grin.gif

I visited with the showfield chairman tonight and he put the cycles in that area on purpose as it is very level and he thought it would be the best spot for their safety, etc. He feels that the people will be happy with the location when they see it.

I haven't looked at the map but think AACA does a good job with the Motorcycle display areas. I don't believe AACA wants them riden onto the show field for the same safety reason race cars are pushed or towed on. For this reason both these classes are close to the gate in most cases. I'm 2-3 years away from showing my 1925 Henderson 4 powered Midget Race Car. Motorcycle powered race car, best of both worlds.

Thanks Steve, for checking into the placement of the motorcycles for us. Knowing that the showfield chairman thinks we'll be pleased with the location when we see it, makes me feel a bit more confident than just seeing it on the map. Also a big "Thanks" for using a motorcycle on the magazine cover....just saw it this evening. <span style="font-weight: bold">Next, we're hoping we can get a pic of a motorcycle mixed in with the other vehicle photos on the AACA homepage of this website. Fans of old bikes (thinking of joining) would then be able to see that AACA is indeed the right place for them! </span>