I'm curious. What do, or did, you do for a living?

Barry Wolk

Nahh we fixed that many moons ago, they no longer abend they put you into an endless loop and lull you to sleep at your desk..

Great Thread

I was employed in the retail field for ten years, the next 26 years were spent in Law Enforcement, retired for a year.

Got bored, taught law for the next Ten years. Retired again,

Now I am thinking about going back to work(I have less time to work on my hobby in retirement, then when I was working.

1966 Thunderbird Convertible

1966 Thunderbird Landau

1960 Thunderbird Hardtop

Guest Debby Soucia

My husband and I have a logging company for 27 years married for 32. He has a log truck and a skidder.

We also have a saw mill that we do custom sawing. There we have the loader and I work at the end where the boards come out.(green chain)

We have a bulldozer & backhoe so he has done drive ways, ponds and clearing land. I can drive most of the equipment. We just got a excavator that I have not tryed yet. I think this is why I like working on old cars, we have to fix our own equipment!:):)

Deby

i appenticed at a chevy dealer's truck shop in high school. then worked for sears fixing tools. cleaned windows with my wife & her dad. then a friend got me a job at a vw dealer. 31 years later still with vw & getting sick of new cars. most of our techs are young & my 65 ford amazes then. NO computors! give me the old anytime.

larry

I'm now retired after over 42 years with the one company, one company that is despite name changes, restructures, business unit splits and corportisation. My time was spent in Finance and related areas mostly, at one stage having control over 46 staff until a flatter structure and business split found me as a "poo". No not what you might think, but in a "present occupant only" position for the last 13 years until retirement last month and purchase of a '41 Packard coupe in Idaho I bought on ebay.

I spent 10yrs in the Navy as a nuke machinist mate and 10yrs as a cryptologic tech(m brancher)and several years as a truck mechanic for a couple of companies and several more as an electrician/leadman in a Ca. steel plant. Now work at a university here back east (in maintenance management)The 57 Chief is more of a chance to spend time with the son and to impart some knowledge and maybe a love for old cars to him.

I work as a public affairs officer in the national intelligence community.

After working around people who are in the business of keeping secrets and trying to explain how to talk to the public, working on cars is a great mental relaxation technique.

I've been doing photography and journalism for the Air Force and several newspapers dating all the way back to high school.

My real joys in life? Church work, old cars, travelling for fun rather than for business, living in the country on some acreage instead of a postage-stamp sized lot in the city and planning what my wife and I are going to do with our retirement.

Joe

If anyone is interested the place I work at will be on Mega Movers. I don't have Cable so I can't watch it frown.giffrown.gif

UOP FCC Technology Featured on The History Channel’s Mega Movers – Saturday, August 11

Moving day for Marathon Petroleum Company’s FCC unit, which utilizes UOP FCC technology, was no simple task. In fact, the effort to move the 475,000 lb structure from Texas to Minnesota was such an impressive feat that The History Channel’s Mega Movers will feature the job in an upcoming episode scheduled to air on Saturday, August 11 at 8:00 am (central). Be sure to watch!

To see more information on the episode, please visit http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=detail&episodeId=240175.

Guest DagoRed

When I was 21 years old, I was selected to become one of the few, a miltary pilot. At the time, I was given three-fourths of a million dollars worth of training & education to eventually fly multi-million dollar aircraft while being responsible for the well-being of those that flew with me.

Since those too few years as a military aviator, I have had careers (jobs?) with decreasing responsibility and satisfaction....

I was a Conservation Officer for 30 years mostly in the wilds of Northern Ontario before retiring in 1995. I was involved with a search and rescue and owned a fine bloodhound mantrailer. I started my working life as a clerk-in training for the Hudson's Bay Co. on the small native community of Fort Albany on the coast of James Bay. Seeking more adventure I quit and worked for a fur-buyer/freighter operating in the same area. For one summer I worked as a crewman on Canso (PBY) flying boats in the arctic before being accepted in the Ontario Forest Ranger School. I bought my first collector car in 1965 which was a 1947 Cadillac 75 Imperial Limo for $350. I had to wait until 1990 to buy my 2nd which was a 1947 Nash. I have always loved and wanted a Packard and now I have one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packin31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Moving day for Marathon Petroleum Company’s FCC unit, which utilizes UOP FCC technology, was no simple task. In fact, the effort to move the 475,000 lb structure from Texas to Minnesota was such an impressive feat that The History Channel’s Mega Movers will feature the job in an upcoming episode scheduled to air on Saturday, August 11 at 8:00 am (central). Be sure to watch!

</div></div>

Lot of Oil in Minnesota, is there? Add in the problem that the price of farmland is going through the roof because of this "corn into ethenol" thing, and I'm going to have to forget about retiring to Minnesota.

I guess I'll chime in here. I did 10 years in the Navy as an Engineman. After that, worked as an outside machinist at a couple of different shipyards here in the Tidewater area. Currently I'm employed by Norfolk Naval Shipyard as a Marine Machinery Mechanic (Outside Machinist). All total, I've been working on ships for about 30 years.

Working on old cars is a LOT more fun and job satisfaction is much greater!

Retired foreman for a large press manufacture, now I work part time repairing hand tools. A lot less pressure and the wife said I'm easier to live with now. I gave them over 30 years, they downsized and kept most of the retirement that was promised. Life is good!

Hi Barry,

Since you are a Lighting expert. I have been having trouble with my DSL connection so the tech guy on the phone said I may have a defective modem. So they send me a new one and same problem. So I go ahead and read the trouble shooting guide and it stated that a dimmer switch in the area of the modem can cause slow or intermittent connection. I turned off the basement light which we have on a dimmer and is ruffly 15ft away and wham fast connection again. I did some playing around with the light put on full blast and modem screams, switch have way way no connection. This is very strange to me. IS frequency that much of a problem with dimmers?

O one more qustion about my garage lighting what type of florescent bulbs sound I get the ones I have now seem dim? See this is car related smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Reatta Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">West,

WHY would you want to retire TO Minnesota? I thought people retired then left there to thaw out? I see you are in Dayton, but the winters are worse in Minnesota, right? </div></div>

Oh come on now, Don't beleive everything you hear. We have beautiful weather up here. We also have two seasons. Winter and Road Construction. I am not sure how many of you were able to attend the Spring Meet in Detroit Lakes this year but if you did you saw one of the best places in our fine state. Ya sure, you betcha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packin31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Barry,

Since you are a Lighting expert. I have been having trouble with my DSL connection so the tech guy on the phone said I may have a defective modem. So they send me a new one and same problem. So I go ahead and read the trouble shooting guide and it stated that a dimmer switch in the area of the modem can cause slow or intermittent connection. I turned off the basement light which we have on a dimmer and is ruffly 15ft away and wham fast connection again. I did some playing around with the light put on full blast and modem screams, switch have way way no connection. This is very strange to me. IS frequency that much of a problem with dimmers?

O one more qustion about my garage lighting what type of florescent bulbs sound I get the ones I have now seem dim? See this is car related smile.gif </div></div>

RF interference has always been a problem with dimmers. I've just never heard of it interferring with modem operation.

The new fluorescent lamps are quite a bit dimmer than the old ones. Typically, only watt-meisers (34-watts) are available in retail stores but there are plenty of full-wattage F-40 (40-watts) lamps available through lighting supply houses or Graingers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Reatta Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">West,

WHY would you want to retire TO Minnesota? I thought people retired then left there to thaw out? I see you are in Dayton, but the winters are worse in Minnesota, right? </div></div>

Another joke gone awry!! I'm going to have to go back to humor school. crazy.gif

worked at sundstrand in la salle for 41 years it went from sundstrand, to sauer-sundstrand, and to sauer- danfoss and they closed the doors i was a machinist ran a 16 station transfer line and worked in the shipping and reciveing the last 3 years that they we opened

Guest imported_mossiyjack

Well this is scary, while going to NM State U I worked summers at Sandia Labs in Albuq. NM as a draftsman designing parts for nuclear weapons. During school months I co-oped at White Sands test range as a telemetering tech. Joined the USAF in '58 and trained as an inertial guidance systems analyst for air to surface missles. Out of the USAF I worked for Asplundh tree expert co. clearing power lines. Then did a stint on a custom combine crew on the wheat harvest from Texas to Canada. Then joined the Dictaphone Corp. in Okla. City as a sales service rep. and then was made branch mgr. in Phoenix, AZ. Couldn't take the Corp. life so went back to school an took up broadcasting. Hired on as newsman/editor for NBC radio(KRUX, KMCR NPR in Phx) then moved to KJJJ for 6 years writing commercials. Turned bowhunting into a business making bowcases/guncases and then sold out to retire in '89. Traveled the US full time chasing Bluegrass music playing the mandolin/banjo, guitar. Not real good but it is fun. Last year I hired on as a tour guide to the Grand Canyon/Navajo Res. out of Sedona, AZ but ended that to work on my '35 Dodge project. It's been fun!! I'm the lukiest guy I know. JACK

Two weeks ago I retired after 35 years as a Police Officer with the Western Australian Police Force. This is the largest single police jurisdiction in the world and is responsible for policing services over an area of 2.5 million square kilometers.

Now I'm concentrating on finishing the restoration of a Holden bodied ( Australian ) 1934 Buick Roadster.

Guest ChrisSummers

I write a food column for a local paper part-time and am a full-time student at Glenville State College in Glenville, W.V., working towards a degree in Secondary Education.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisSummers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I write a food column for a local paper part-time and am a full-time student at Glenville State College in Glenville, W.V., working towards a degree in Secondary Education. </div></div>

Which paper? I'm right down the road from Barboursville in St. Albans.

Hiya Gang,

For the last 10 yrs I've been a maintaince operations engineer specializing in water distribution for a local municipality in a suburb of Chicago making sure the drinking water is clean & tasty. Prior to this I was with the Fire Department as an truck engineer operating a 102' aerial tower ladder. prior to the Dept I was working as a cartographer creating aerial survey maps for computer generated 911 mapping systems.( alot of these systems are now in most squad cars)

You would be surprised with everything in the average police car now...

I have one of those 911 map systems (and a whole lot more) in my car.

(Even internet access through a wireless aircard!)

I have a doctoral degree in organic chemistry from Emory University and have been at Mercer University for 17 years-first as a professor teaching organic and currently in the Provost's office for the last six years. Basically, we oversee academic administration for the 11 colleges that make up the university. You can tell why I know very little about cars. I was in school 22 years!