All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. The Riviera is an Ascot with enclosed passenger compartment. I would expect it to bring a lot more money than the other towncar.
  3. Buy a pool noodle. Cut it to the length you need, slit it, slip it over your hoses. You might want to tape it with some black tape - pool noodles come in cute rainbow colors.
  4. I will have to keep an eye out for it. I don't get all the way into Vancouver much anymore. Out in the rural / urban interface East of town. Vancouver is a funny place for British cars. Actually quite a good population of the way out of reach, high end stuff , and still a reasonable quantity of all the standard older British cars, MGB, TR 6 etc. Cars that I have owned a number of over the decades but am no longer all that interested in. But all the not really high end, but out of the ordinary cars that once were to be found around here have really thinned out over the last 40 years. TVR Grantura's for example , but several others as well. They always seem to be worth more somewhere else and one by one they disappear elsewhere. Still on my list , but all but extinct around here these days.
  5. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy the foam tubes, they have them in 1/2 & 3/4, cut to width. Bob Bonto
  6. Uber rare NOS-1937/38 GM Oldsmobile Automatic Safety Transmission aka Buick Self Shifter. This transmission came from my Dad's collection. He would tell my brother and I it needed to be in a museum. First automatic transmission, precursor to the HydraMatic.
  7. @J.H.Bolandextra points for bringing Glory along!!!
  8. Well for modifieds I would walk by that in favor of the 57 Chevy with a mediocre paint job, nice Cragar SS rims, and a homebuilt sbc backed by a 4 speed and a 9no frills interior. Or a clean VW van that is still a VW. But yeah an 800 hp rendition of a VW van might sell some magazines...
  9. Good day. So the early fire season smoke cleared enough for a day or two to allow Canada Post (& Storage) to deliver Volume 40, No. 3, May/June 2024, of the Riview today here in Edmonton, AB. Haven't flipped through yet, but great cover photo. Too bad the photog didn't have a polarizing filter to really make the colours pop and remove some glare off the glass, but still a cool shot, well done... Later,
  10. People didn't worry about that in 1917. In really wet weather you took the horse.
  11. I have been a HCC subscriber for a very long time and am thinking about not renewing. Like with what happened to Cars and Parts, I kept them for 1 year after the "change" then cancelled them. I want an old car to drive like an old car, not a new one (that's why I have a '19 XT5). I'm slowly trying to restore the '69 Chevy pickup that my grandfather bought new, and I have been asked many times if I was going to put disc brakes on the front to which I reply, it didn't come that way, so no. I want to feel the way it drove when I was a teenager and he let me drive it, four-wheel drums and all. When I read HCC now, the impression I get is that they want you to think an old vehicle is unsafe unless you "upgrade it" with modern parts like disc brakes, electronic ignition, aluminum radiators, etc, etc. Therefore, I too am Grateful for the AACA and the Antique Automobile magazine. Tim
  12. Thank you so much EmTee ! I had a problem with the tank of my Dodge, I had bought a new gas cap but this new cap did not vent. And when I was driving and the pump sucked in fuel, the tank deformed, then when I removed the fuel cap I heard a "shhhhtt" and the tank inflated and took its original shape. I didn't realize it, and by deforming it, the tank was bent and pierced. So I dismantled the tank, cleaned it completely, then repaired the tank by welding. And then I applied two coats of colorless bodywork varnish to protect the tank. As the tank was dismantled, I took the opportunity to strip, clean and paint the floor under the car, from the rear bumper to the floor under the rear seat. I also stripped the rear axle and did the oil change. And I then applied “hollow body wax” (that’s what it’s called in France) in the crossmembers of the floor and chassis. My brother helped me, and to strip the floor and paint it, it took me 5 weekends with my brother. And at the beginning of the year I changed the steering box on my Dodge, I bought a used one and normally it was in very good condition. And when we put it together and I tried it, the steering box is actually in poor condition and there is a lot of play in the steering . The upper bearing of the box axle is out of order I think. For the moment I drive with this steering box but in the future it will be necessary to change or repair the box . here are photos to summarize the work on the Dodge disassembly of the tank the floor is very dirty and very greasy cleaning the tank with thinner Here is the tank leak stripping, degreasing the floor with the help of my brother It's starting to feel good at the same time, draining the rear axle sanding of a few parts stripping the rear axle and painting the axle housing, and painting the floor under the car and the rear axle oil filling application of varnish on the tank straps, you can see the original references which differ for the right and left side tank repair application of a colorless bodywork varnish to the tank application of wax for hollow bodies Reassembly of the tank, the tank still shows traces of deformation but it no longer leaks and cleaning the Dodge!! It's finished and ready to drive !
  13. I understand that the Michelin Service van is a 10 hp Darracq.
  14. Today
  15. Sunday was Mother's Day and also "Drive Your Old Car Day". I dusted off the '40 Packard and took the missus and Glory (also a mother) for a spin. It was Glory's first ride in the Packard and her expression says it all !
  16. Very pretty car indeed. Very inviting but I live on the west so I would be looking at a $2500 - $3000 shipping bill. That's not going to happen!
  17. Speede I don’t know your plans with the lens but I am in search of one. Attached is my 41 ambulance. Driver side was crunched during pick up by previous owner. It is a vehicle I am hoping to restore back to its historical glory.
  18. Yes, im aware of that.. assuming an aftermarket licence plate topper.
  19. It was the 1930s. They were a somber time. Flashy colors belonged to the 1920s, they were inappropriate for the 30s. Probably 50% of all cars in the 30s were factory black. A dark blue or maybe green would have been acceptable but even the light grays didn’t happen until 39 and into the 40s. Any bright-light color on this car would look strange. Also in the 1930s cars like this cost the annual salary of a working class person and maybe as much as their house! Think about the economic disparity of today that produces anger and social unrest. It was worse in the depression and it was unsafe for moneyed people to display their wealth. A luxury car? Sure for the quality and maybe additional room, but not to show off. The flashy bright colors wouldn’t return until the middle 50s. Heat in the summer? It’s the 1930s, A/C existed in theaters and some department stores but even mansions were not equipped. Not even a fantasy for an automobile. To escape the heat of summer, you traveled. You went to the seashore. If you had money you might travel by train and PERHAPS the train car was cooled by ice blocks. Back then it was understood that if it was hot, you sweated.
  20. The blue is a 75 DCP and the green is a 72 roadster.
  21. My 1st car was a 1948 Dodge Club Coupe bought in 1970 for 100.00 from the original owner. That is what got me into the Mopar parts business! Later I also had a 1948 Business Coupe too. Both great cars but the Business Coupe got way more attention especially if I opened the trunk! I'm going to send you a message as I still have parts for it that will fit your car too. That is me on top of it!
  1. Load more activity