All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. And thank you for providing great detailed info and keeping us informed. Let this serve as an excellent example of how the forum can work provided the OP is an active and enthusiastic participant. Congrats on this great addition to your collection. See you on tour. Terry
  3. At least it is available and didn’t have to fab one up. Mike
  4. You might get it to go faster but that also puts more stress on the mechanical parts.
  5. Not familiar with Marmoleum. But I have done more than my share of linoleum installations. Hope to never have to do that again! Not really that bad though I suppose compared to a lot of things. 'Battleship' linoleum as it comes to my mind is a very heavy rubbery, vinyl type flooring with a burlap like core, it may have linseed oil associated with it somehow? I think (well before my time) that it was used on Battleships as a durable floor covering? Hence the name. No way it compares to modern linoleum other than the name. I have a customer with an 18th century house that has an entire bedroom wing with the stuff as a floor covering. He wanted to replace it but I talked them out of it just because. Its ugly brown but more durable than a lot of things.
  6. This is what Centerville says on their webpage about HEI distributors. "The HEI units are just plain ugly and not worthy of the a beautiful Buick engine. I call the HEI the "Elephant Mans Head Distributor" They can also cause firewall clearance problems. "
  7. If you look at his order of operations, it may explain a lot :). He said he did the carb but it's also listed as needing to be cleaned, as is the fuel tank. Things that have been done carburetor Radiator Generator fuel pump plugs wires coil points, rotor Things needed Clean fuel tank clean carburetor master cylinder timing
  8. I recently purchased a 1910 Maxwell Model AA. It underwent a beautiful restoration roughly 50 years ago but looks a fresh as it was done in recent years. The previous owner also rebuilt the engine, with new cylinders made. The car drives very nicely and I enjoy having it on the road but question the top speed and if any adjustments might need done. Top speed is 25 mph. I followed a similar Maxwell on a tour many years ago and the unrestored vehicle was running about 22 mph. I don't know if that one was just old and tired or if it was typical? I talked with another Maxwell AA owner who said his will cruise at 32 mph, but also said he has oversized pistons. I'm uncertain of my piston size with this engine rebuild. I'm happy traveling at 25 but wonder if additional tuning or adjustments might be done to bring it up a bit? Thanks in advance, Dave PS: the attached picture was taken prior to the thorough waxing and brass polishing I've done. :-)
  9. Yes it looks a bit odd sloping down from the bottom
  10. List it in, Buick-Buy/Sell That one looks to be in very good condition(not broken), and it is rare.
  11. ^^^Don't care what anyone thinks but that’s funny, definitely laughing out loud funny ^^^ I honestly do not know how they can see anything in front of them, that said I live near a USMC base in NC and that “law” is either not well enforced or the local police give active military a pass. I see a few every single day.
  12. Here is a general question about the differences between a touring cowl and a screen side cowl. Now for the question. I know that the windshield posts mounting structure, behind the dash and under the top of the cowl, for a proper screen side, hold the windshield posts straight up vertical, whereas the touring car has brackets that lean the windshield posts to the back. How hard is it to remove the windshield posts support brackets from the screen side cowl and install that assembly in a touring car cowl? The reason for this question is that my screen side cowl is very rusty on the bottom and I have a very good, solid touring car cowl to use as a donor. If it is not a huge amount of work, I think I would swap windshield support brackets and use the touring car cowl. Share your thoughts. Pictures to follow. Al
  13. Today
  14. I am checking the pulse of the Brit enthusiasts on the west side of the pond and wondering if anyone reading here has heard of seen any Alvis projects hiding that may soon be available? Al
  15. History is good, I am just not that good of a researcher! I wonder what the last year was that a Locomobile was in the Presidents "Stable". Al
  16. How much different are the electronics than any other replacement HEI unit? Looks pretty normal to me. NTX5467
  17. I am not surprised it sold so quick. They are good cars and this one must have been pretty to get his asking price!
  18. This was interesting- I'm used to Buicks and have not seen one of these clutch Z-bar linkages before. The holes were worn out and new ones ez to find. Not as weird as my 65 GS or 65 Wildcat forks (cast iron) but very different from the 400/455 style in the Buick.
  19. Engine came out...not bad since it has no options. I'll take it to get blasted then repair floor pan. Seriously, from a carb rebuild and brake job to this - my Buicks are starting a Me Too movement.
  20. I believe the brass fitting with the wiring harness is a temperature switch to turn on the electric fan in front of the ac condenser. In traffic, with not a lot of air flow through the condenser, the temperature of the refrigerant will begin to climb and at a certain set point, the switch will close and turn on the fan providing additional air flow across the ac condenser lowering the refrigerant temperature and providing ampule cooling for inside the vehicle. I cannot answer why the replacement part is different and no provision to install the switch. The switch is isolated from the "pressure" of the system and only needs to sense the temperature, if you can tap a hole without drilling too deep or weakening the area, this might work. I would think MB would have a factory solution to relocate or replace the temperature switch with maybe a high pressure switch instead. But I do not know for sure, maybe another person here does.
  21. https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1851643265307466/?ref=browse_tab
  22. The closest I can think of are clamp-on fog light brackets. Like these: New Pair Vintage Style Fog Light Brackets Lamp Clamp On Bumper Mount, Painted | eBay. Not exactly the same thing but a great start for fabrication. Nathan
  23. Thank you for your help, do you know the best place to try and sell it at?
  24. As I stated awhile back the car needed a new spring. After doing a lot of research on the right spring since there is several spring loads and leaves to choose from. I found them on the internet and not too expensive, but shipping was pricey and probably an import spring. I decided to call a local spring shop with the specs I found and they actually had one in stock. It was cheaper than buying one and having it shipped. This one looked like it's been in the shop corner for awhile and the best part it's an American made spring. Plus a 1 year warranty. $245 out the door. The work doesn't stop, but the list is getting shorter.
  25. The VIN plate on the dash MUST read 34467. If it doesn't, car isn't a 442 unless someone made a really good fake. You might find a different number on its underhood data plate; that discrepancy is well known and documented on 68-69 cars. Look on the engine between intake manifold and water pump. A correct 1969 400ci engine will have a "G" cast into that area. To verify if car has the original engine, there's a machined pad at left front of the block, just beneath the cylinder head. 68-later Olds V8 engines have a VIN derivative stamped into the pad. If it matches the dash VIN, original engine. Joe Padavano has a good picture of this. Car should have "C" casting cylinder heads. If you find "D" castings on a numbers matching block you possibly have a W30. 442 will have boxed rear axle lower control arms and rear sway bar. These were optional on other Cutlass series. Depending on the assembly plant the underhood data plate can tell you a lot. However if the car was built in the Fremont CA assembly plant the data plate has a lot of arcane numerical codes that are tied to the car's build sheet and job order. The other plants are easy to decode. Others will be able to add more.
  1. Load more activity