1932 Marmon Sixteen sedan body - $6500

I think his asking price is bang on.

While he mentions the restored Marmon that sold at auction for $330,000 it perfectly reflects the $323,500 difference it will take to make this one just like that one. :lol:

I remember seeing a 1932 or so Marmon chassis on a property owned by a Mrs. McKim in Auburn Hills, Michigan when I was 16 in 1969. No body, but the engine and drivetrain and fenders were there. I guess I should have looked closer at it and purchased it. I think the old lady only wanted $50.00 for it. That V16 was huge. I wonder whatever happened to it.

10 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

I remember seeing a 1932 or so Marmon chassis on a property owned by a Mrs. McKim in Auburn Hills, Michigan when I was 16 in 1969. No body, but the engine and drivetrain and fenders were there. I guess I should have looked closer at it and purchased it. I think the old lady only wanted $50.00 for it. That V16 was huge. I wonder whatever happened to it.

Just look on your afternoon walk Keiser,  I'm sure it will show up around the corner.  Every other car on the planet seems to go through the Portal in your town. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, keiser31 said:

It ended up in Texas and was sold about three years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Now THAT is incredible to hear! I thought for certain that the 1940 Packard limo and that Marmon chassis were LONG gone! Thanks so much for letting me know.

37 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Any idea if there are photos of it around?

EDIT: Found it....it had front fenders on it when I saw it years ago.

Mrs. McKim's Marmon.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

How many Marmon 16 chassis could have existed without a body from 1970 to now? Just about zero, there is a 16 register with all known cars, engines, and chassis that has been around since the 60’s if I am not mistaken. The list was in the CCCA magazine fifteen years ago. I was at the auction and was shocked that the chassis brought as much as it did, but the number escapes me. There is one V-16 T Bucket hot rod in Ohio. If you get ahold of the list, you can figure out if this is the one you saw years ago.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I believe Harry Sherry restored 6 Marmon 16s at one time for an American customer up here a few years back. Harry is now in a the latter stages of dementia. His shop was in Warsaw Ont. and closed a couple of years after he was unable to run things. Another great guy with knowledge and talent the hobby lost.  

On 5/23/2018 at 12:50 PM, edinmass said:

How many Marmon 16 chassis could have existed without a body from 1970 to now? Just about zero, there is a 16 register with all known cars, engines, and chassis that has been around since the 60’s if I am not mistaken. The list was in the CCCA magazine fifteen years ago. I was at the auction and was shocked that the chassis brought as much as it did, but the number escapes me. There is one V-16 T Bucket hot rod in Ohio. If you get ahold of the list, you can figure out if this is the one you saw years ago.

Not sure if you are talking about this Marmon?  Stunning custom, it would have been my pick for AMBR.  https://www.hotrodhotline.com/feature/2011show/gnrs_2012_ambr_contenders_roger/html/gnrsambr2012roger_22.php

I love the rotted tarp hanging off the body.  If I had $47,000 of value in anything I would surely have a new tarp. Right now I would be paying $120 a month for inside storage.

image.png.321a6dce1feacd2b066be11f4c8c90c4.png

I was about 24 or 25 years old and had a job that gave me a 3 day weekend every month (relief man in a powerplant). I would travel around New York State chasing the urban or rural legends of the old car world. The first time I remember realizing this concept of benevolent abuse was on RT11 just north of Cicero, New York. The place was down a grade on the east side of the road, a house with a dozen or so vine covered cars around it. I stopped to look at a late '40's Ford convertible. It was weathered bad and obviously from sitting in the same spot.

One of those statements you remember for a lifetime "I saved this car. A lot of people wouldn't." is what the owner told me. Today the term "incredible" is misused often. But not that day! The old hoadrer was fooling himself. Just like this gemoke with the Marmon.

Imagine a bunch of these cars all dragged together to a grassy field and the old men whom own them standing around naked, claiming the car formerly belonged to the King's tailor. Same story different version.

Bernie

• Like 1

On 5/24/2018 at 8:04 PM, Xander Wildeisen said:

There is a reproduction torpedo or Henley on that chassis now.

Hyman was selling the V16 Hot Rod which seems to be sold.  It is totally outside my area of interest but still totally cool in my book.

image.png.e4ad07e4b9f6b859910ac83b00751ccc.png

• Like 1

On 5/26/2018 at 6:42 PM, Xander Wildeisen said:

That is a good looking sedan, I like how the door tops go up on the roof. I have not seen someone else do that in those years.

It is the only surviving Peerless multicylinder prototype. 4 chassis were built and driven to California(1 V-12 and 3 V-16) with temporary Hayes bodies to get Murphy aluminum bodies. This is the only one known to have been finished. It had an enormous weight advantage over the Marmon and Cadillac V-16 cars and was even taken out to Muroc Dry Lake for a speed run..

• Like 1

Yeah, it was driven "over 100 mph", according to a couple of stories. No photos of it doing it or details of the run, that I know of. The car, "XD #3", has a 5000 rpm tachometer and a 120 mph speedometer. 

2400 rpm was 60 mph, peak hp was at 3300 rpm, 92.5 mph was at 3700 rpm. 

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

On 5/26/2018 at 8:08 PM, Dave Henderson said:

Contrary to the statement in the Craigslist ad to the effect that only Marmon and Cadillac ever produced a V16 automobile, there was a third.  Peerless produced a prototype in 1932. 

If you're going to talk about non-production 16-cylinders, don't forget about prewar Bugatti Type 45 and Auto Union.

• Like 1