light-classifieds.com website

Douglas G. Brown

I think Douglas may be correct.   All the vehicles are less than half normal prices.   I replied to two of their ads, and 10 days later I got one reply.  The car was advertised as in Wisconsin and when I expressed interest they sent more pictures with questionable English,  I wrote back with a inspector in Wisconsin and got this reply.

"

I'm currently in a mission near South Sudan and the car is located in Portland, OR. The car belonged to my father who recently passed away. We will use a legit and a professional shipping company who will act as an intermediate for our transaction. I would like to inform you that I've used their escrow service in the past and all my transactions ended successfully. Please let me know when you are ready for the next step.

Sounded like setup to me because he didn't answer any of my questions, just moved to the "next step"  I'm out.

Dave,

I found found the same car that I wrote about above with the exact same wording an pictures on another web site but the location was Lehigh Acres, Florida instead of Eau Claire Wisconsin or Portland Oregon.  The price was much higher too.  I had suspisions of "Classified Light" from the beginning and now it appears it's all fake scam ads.  I've seen this before where a scam artist borrows the pictures and text form a legimate ad and tries to sell something they don't have at a bargain price.  It happens in Real Estate too.  Apparently people send them money, or they wouldn't do it.  However I've never seen it with their own SCAM web site!

Paul,

I discovered this website a few days ago when I was searching for a 1940 Buick Convertible sedan. This site came up, and there was a real nice looking blue one with Ohio antique plates, and it wa ssupposed to be in Houston, Texas. The asking price was $13,200. I emailed the seller, and he offered it for less than half of that! This was his reply:

I'm sorry for the delay in my response. The car is still for sale. Price is $5,400.00.
The car is being sold as described, clear title, no mechanical issues, everything is in great condition and has been recently serviced. The car is ready for the road. I am working overseas with Gem Diamonds and my contract ends in October 2017. If you want to find out more details about how we can close up this deal contact me.

I smelled a rat, but replied.  He replied;

Hello,

The location of the car is Portland, OR. The car, the title, two sets of keys, manuals and some service history records is what you will get from the Aykam Transport Limited. The car belonged to my uncle who recently passed away. I arranged for the sale right before I left the country. I propose to close the deal through www.aykamtransport.com, in the most safe and easiest way possible for both of us. Basically, it's similar to buying a car locally, the money will be sent to their holding account, and they will keep the money until you will receive the car. After the car is delivered, you will have a 7 days inspection period before you decide if you wish to keep it or not. If you are serious about buying the car, I will ship it anywhere you want with no extra cost
To be able to start this transaction you need to register on the shipping company website:
www.aykamtransport.com

Thank You
Terry Klowss

I replied that I could be in Portland, Oregon, to look at the car, and could pay cash, and arrange my own transport. He has not yet replied

I tried several times to become a registered user of the site, and it will not accept any User ID I create.

I see the site has a couple of 20 year old Bentleys in gorgeous condition for about $6000.00  each

BY THE WAY, HE SAID THE 1940 BUICK I WAS LOOKING AT WAS A 2 DOOR!
And, he forgot to white out the rear license plate

OH, IF ANY OF YOU KNOW  WHO ACTUALLY OWNS THIS CAR, I'D LIKE TO KNOW WHERE IT IS, ESPECIALLY IF HE OR SHE IS CONSIDERING SELLING IT.

1940_buick_drive_type_rwd-1485375161-5-e.jpg

1940_buick_drive_type_rwd-1485375164-462-e.jpg

1940_buick_drive_type_rwd-1485375154-426-e.jpg

1940_buick_drive_type_rwd-1485375152-597-e 1.jpg

1940_buick_drive_type_rwd-1485375167-659-e.jpg

Edited by Douglas G. Brown (see edit history)

I would say that whole website is a scam. I would not contact anybody on the site as it is an invitation to a computer virus. Remember if it sounds to good to be true it is. $6,000 and $12,000 price tags on serious classic cars. Those days are gone forever. Always be concerned of any ad without a phone number. If a person will not talk to you about a car they are usually hiding something. Just my two cents.

There is a twin.

Vhttp://smclassiccars.com/buick/205600-1940-buick-convertible-phaeton-century-limited-61c-restored-sedan-4-door-4629.html

That car was first listed as an 81C. There was some discussion about it on the forum.

Stop all communication. "Giving these guys a pierce of you mind" is counter productive. Just dead end them.

Bernie

Nah, keep talking to them and waste as much of their time as you can. From time to time I get a  phone call from "Microsoft" informing me my computer is infected with a virus. I act appalled and concerned and ask what I can do. They send me to my computer and try to talk me into giving them control. For some reason I can never quite follow their instructions and have to keep starting over. When I think they have about given up I tell them that my computer is up but there is still something wrong. It's now displaying a picture of their mother performing a sex act on a German Shepherd. Pisses them off, eats up 20 minutes that they are not scamming someone else , and gives me a really good feeling. Am I a bad person?...................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
Guest leeparis

Same here I received this message when I asked about seeing the car:

Hey Lee,

I would be more than glad to meet you and show the car but I'm currently in a mission for Unicef and the car is located in Portland, OR. It starts and runs in perfect condition. As you can see in the pictures, this car is very good condition, both esthetical and mechanics. This car was from my father who was a collector and it was very well cared and preserved. I have a contract with a professional shipping company and I can make arrangements right away. Thank you!

photo  
Dave Ball
Pilot, Unicef - United States

impala  $6900.jpg

• 2 months later...
Guest rockolamike

I replied to 2 adds for bsa gold star motorcycle and it seems to me that some or most of these adds are placed by the same person

he tries to get you to wire funds to a German bank account both the bikes were at least $10,000 under value ( caution CAUTION caution)

fairly sophisticated scam BUT BEWARE the whole site is suspicious don't send dollar 1

Mike Hughes

Voice recognition can sometimes translate "pile it" into "pilot"

Don't worry to much about the site. They are just fishing for greed people who have been sticking themselves for years. They were doing that long before the internet.

See, some of you are smiling and some know who you are

Bernie

I recall there are some programs that can find duplicate pictures on the Internet. Website owners (including Realtors) use the program to find people who steal thier listing house pictures to create bogus rental ads. Don't recall the program But I imagine these pictures were stolen from somewhere and the listings are not legit. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

10 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

I recall there are some programs that can find duplicate pictures on the Internet. Website owners (including Realtors) use the program to find people who steal thier listing house pictures to create bogus rental ads. Don't recall the program But I imagine these pictures were stolen from somewhere and the listings are not legit. 

The easiest way to catch a spammer is to ask them for a VERY certain photo of an area or angle of the vehicle. They have to have the car in order to take a photo of that area. If they give some excuse about not being able to take that photo, it is more than likely a spammer or ripoff of some kind. Maybe the car is far away and in storage, but if they cannot photograph that requested area....pass on it.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

I recall there are some programs that can find duplicate pictures on the Internet. 

Google Chrome provides this option.  Just right click on any displayed picture and choose the "Search Google for Image" option.

When I click on your image this is what I get:

About 25,270,000,000 results (0.32 seconds) 

hdWUH3jMCqprpl4DK9jmBk_VA0bBWq5iOhZOt8fz
Image size:
100 × 100
Find other sizes of this image:
All sizes - Small
Best guess for this image: Hawkeye

Search Results

Pages that include matching images

Upcoming VanDerBrink Auction - General Discussion - Antique ...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8VrOFejL_kK2ToV3XvEI
forums.aaca.org › AACA GENERAL DISCUSSION › General Discussion
6 days ago - 25 posts - ‎14 authors
100 × 100 - I admit that I don't follow auctions with a passion, but I've been watching this one for a while. It is a small collection of very nice appearing cars ...

Antique Car | LinkedIn

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4ylpSTUYVg07b5MFpFrb
100 × 100 - View 1649 Antique Car posts, presentations, experts, and more. Get the professional knowledge you need on LinkedIn.

Submit or Search Texas Wildflower Sightings

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTd6agB5lxb1kQztIPhU4u
115 × 130 - Submit sightings of Texas wildflowers and search Texas wildflower sightings. Find wildflower sightings in your area. See what's blooming.

A guide to body tag decoding resources on the web - Page 3 ...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQgVdQm5fG9s3CSwYPIkg
https://www.corvairforum.com › ... › Body/VIN Tag Decoding
Mar 6, 2016 - 11 posts - ‎6 authors
160 × 160 - Yep and I need to double check under the vehicle for the real one. It's on a cross member correct. The good news is that is was registered today ...

James Postma | LinkedIn

100 × 100 - View James Postma's professional profile on LinkedIn. LinkedIn is the world's largest business network, helping professionals like James Postma discover ...

1 2 Next
  • Like 1

Guest rockolamike

For me the big giveaway was that the motorcycle in question was supposed to be in Portland Oregon (sound familiar)

and yet there were cactus growing in the background. 

Be careful this site seems to be run by scammers

1 hour ago, D Yaros said:

Google Chrome provides this option.  Just right click on any displayed picture and choose the "Search Google for Image" option.

When I click on your image this is what I get:

About 25,270,000,000 results (0.32 seconds) 

hdWUH3jMCqprpl4DK9jmBk_VA0bBWq5iOhZOt8fz
Image size:
100 × 100
Find other sizes of this image:
All sizes - Small
Best guess for this image: Hawkeye

Search Results

Pages that include matching images

Upcoming VanDerBrink Auction - General Discussion - Antique ...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8VrOFejL_kK2ToV3XvEI
forums.aaca.org › AACA GENERAL DISCUSSION › General Discussion
6 days ago - 25 posts - ‎14 authors
100 × 100 - I admit that I don't follow auctions with a passion, but I've been watching this one for a while. It is a small collection of very nice appearing cars ...

Antique Car | LinkedIn

100 × 100 - View 1649 Antique Car posts, presentations, experts, and more. Get the professional knowledge you need on LinkedIn.

Submit or Search Texas Wildflower Sightings

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTd6agB5lxb1kQztIPhU4u
115 × 130 - Submit sightings of Texas wildflowers and search Texas wildflower sightings. Find wildflower sightings in your area. See what's blooming.

A guide to body tag decoding resources on the web - Page 3 ...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQgVdQm5fG9s3CSwYPIkg
https://www.corvairforum.com › ... › Body/VIN Tag Decoding
Mar 6, 2016 - 11 posts - ‎6 authors
160 × 160 - Yep and I need to double check under the vehicle for the real one. It's on a cross member correct. The good news is that is was registered today ...

James Postma | LinkedIn

100 × 100 - View James Postma's professional profile on LinkedIn. LinkedIn is the world's largest business network, helping professionals like James Postma discover ...

1 2 Next

Great example of what I mentioned. 

On 2/2/2017 at 9:00 AM, Douglas G. Brown said:

Paul,

I discovered this website a few days ago when I was searching for a 1940 Buick Convertible sedan. This site came up, and there was a real nice looking blue one with Ohio antique plates, and it wa ssupposed to be in Houston, Texas. The asking price was $13,200. I emailed the seller, and he offered it for less than half of that! This was his reply:

I'm sorry for the delay in my response. The car is still for sale. Price is $5,400.00.
The car is being sold as described, clear title, no mechanical issues, everything is in great condition and has been recently serviced. The car is ready for the road. I am working overseas with Gem Diamonds and my contract ends in October 2017. If you want to find out more details about how we can close up this deal contact me.

I smelled a rat, but replied.  He replied;

Hello,

The location of the car is Portland, OR. The car, the title, two sets of keys, manuals and some service history records is what you will get from the Aykam Transport Limited. The car belonged to my uncle who recently passed away. I arranged for the sale right before I left the country. I propose to close the deal through www.aykamtransport.com, in the most safe and easiest way possible for both of us. Basically, it's similar to buying a car locally, the money will be sent to their holding account, and they will keep the money until you will receive the car. After the car is delivered, you will have a 7 days inspection period before you decide if you wish to keep it or not. If you are serious about buying the car, I will ship it anywhere you want with no extra cost
To be able to start this transaction you need to register on the shipping company website:

Thank You
Terry Klowss

I replied that I could be in Portland, Oregon, to look at the car, and could pay cash, and arrange my own transport. He has not yet replied

I tried several times to become a registered user of the site, and it will not accept any User ID I create.

I see the site has a couple of 20 year old Bentleys in gorgeous condition for about $6000.00  each

BY THE WAY, HE SAID THE 1940 BUICK I WAS LOOKING AT WAS A 2 DOOR!
And, he forgot to white out the rear license plate

OH, IF ANY OF YOU KNOW  WHO ACTUALLY OWNS THIS CAR, I'D LIKE TO KNOW WHERE IT IS, ESPECIALLY IF HE OR SHE IS CONSIDERING SELLING IT.

1940_buick_drive_type_rwd-1485375161-5-e.jpg

1940_buick_drive_type_rwd-1485375164-462-e.jpg

1940_buick_drive_type_rwd-1485375154-426-e.jpg

1940_buick_drive_type_rwd-1485375152-597-e 1.jpg

1940_buick_drive_type_rwd-1485375167-659-e.jpg

I was looking at that car last fall and I think it was in Ohio.  The seller was clearly American and had reported several things he had done to the car for rebuild.  I eventually turned elsewhere for a car and never ran into this same car through the website that we are talking about here.  It's funny how well the north African/Russian etc. scammers can tune in to a scam seemingly so effortlessly.  Worse yet is the poor fella that buys under the terms noted and looses his money.  

• 1 year later...

light classified is a complete scam, everything sounded legit, did background checks, do diligence, lost lots of money and now have the FBI investigating. they run a very complex scheme of hijacking legitimate company web pages and I guess intercept correspondence with that company to verify their legitimacy. just for the fun of it I replied to a few other ads on the site and asked to see a copy of the ownership, never a reply. I noticed see the investigation that the web site is "under construction". i'll be keeping an eye on it but can assure you it's all a scam, scam. scam. to bad as it ruins it for the few good sellers.