Upcoming VanDerBrink Auction

Hudsy Wudsy

I admit that I don't follow auctions with a passion, but I've been watching this one for a while. It is a small collection of very nice appearing cars that is located in Iowa. There simply is no inspection at all prior to the on line auction in another week. I guess that the owner is in a rest home and there just isn't anyone to show the cars. Maybe this sort of thing happens on occasion, but I don't recall seeing it before. I've been watching a '50 Hudson Commodore 6 that is in the auction. I don't know what price I would have paid for it, but it's in my very least favorite color of all Hudsons, so I already know that I've lost interest. I think that a car in a wrong color would prey on my mind. Maybe a few of you will find it interesting to check the auction out because of the combination of no inspection and online bidding only.

https://vanderbrinkauction.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=123939

Guest BillP

A good cautionary note, take care of your stuff before you can't and it becomes a burden on the charity of your betters.

As for the cars, the Olds is not commonly seen and looks like fun but probably a high mileage car. Of the Fords, the blue coupe needs a color change just like the Hudson and the maroon 4dr sedan is a six. So, they look like projects, but maybe good for the young hobbyist.

With no inspection allowed of cars, I would think bidding would be light.  When they state "in storage about 1.5 years", figure they've been idle much longer, and you'll have to go through fuel system at a minimum.  It's such a crap shoot buying a non-running car, I've been my own victim on two recent cars, each of which seemed like real bargains but weren't running, and the fixes have been expensive.

Also, examining a car for rust and body damage and so forth....well, it's just a tough buy online only with a few pictures...

46 minutes ago, BillP said:

A good cautionary note, take care of your stuff before you can't and it becomes a burden on the charity of your betters.

As for the cars, the Olds is not commonly seen and looks like fun but probably a high mileage car. Of the Fords, the blue coupe needs a color change just like the Hudson and the maroon 4dr sedan is a six. So, they look like projects, but maybe good for the young hobbyist.

Yes or before it becomes a burden on your family. 

I wonder why the advertised Olds 88 clearly has Nintey Eight emblems?:blink:  No one watching the store?

The Studebaker truck has some interest, it is the highest price right now.

I'm surprised the bids are as high as they are with no undercarriage photos of any of the cars or truck I looked at.  A real crap shoot.  I've bid on cars on ebay before and bought a few pretty expensive cars from across the country without personally inspecting them,  but I had "alot " of photos.  I think my 60 Vette had over 50 pictures of the undercarriage taken on a lift.  

Lots to worry about with the mechanics as well. Who is to say any of these ever ran before they were refurbished or ran well after wards.  A car wheezing and gasping to make it up on a trailer then stopped with the emergency brake still runs and drives,  but one you can get in and drive 2 hours in heavy traffic or hot weather without overheating,  have it start right up after a 10 minute stop for gas and glide through traffic with one hand on the wheel with the other out the window using little effort may only be another  $15,000 from your top bid and hours upon hours of diagnostics and frustration. 

As you can tell I've bought one of those type cars before and it was a great driver after the aforementioned. 

I say bid with extreme caution and leave alot of room for the unexpected.  

Auburnseeker, I so agree...imagine buying a Rolls Royce, sight unseen, based on pictures?  An it was running when parked, uh, how long ago?

I'm old school, back in the 60's or 70's it was easy to buy an early car that wasn't running, and no huge deal (yes, even engine rebuilds) to get on the road.

These days, the cost of getting a car mechanically sound is substantial.....that said, I'd take a car that was perfect cosmetically and with poor mechanics any day....the cost of an engine rebuild pales to the cost of chrome, paint, upholstery...

Just now, trimacar said:

Auburnseeker, I so agree...imagine buying a Rolls Royce, sight unseen, based on pictures?  An it was running when parked, uh, how long ago?

I'm old school, back in the 60's or 70's it was easy to buy an early car that wasn't running, and no huge deal (yes, even engine rebuilds) to get on the road.

These days, the cost of getting a car mechanically sound is substantial.....that said, I'd take a car that was perfect cosmetically and with poor mechanics any day....the cost of an engine rebuild pales to the cost of chrome, paint, upholstery...

That may depend on the car.  That Rolls might be cheaper to refurbish the cosmetics than the mechanics especially if it needs everything.  For the most part I agree though.   Paint chrome and interior will sell an engineless car quickly,  but a completely rebuilt (mechanically atleast)  car that runs and drives like new but needs paint upholstery and chrome,  is the hardest kind to sell.   Only people who have rebuilt all the mechanics of a dead car can appreciate a well sorted one.  I know I do now. 

As I said earlier, I began to follow the auction because of some interest in the Hudson. It went up to somewhere in the high $5,000 range so quickly that it occurred to me that there could well be a chance that someone local who knew the car, or, at least the owner, felt a confidence that most of us couldn't have.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Well, their motto is: "Complete Auction Services. .....With the Seller in Mind"

Which appears to mean not much regard for the Buyer if no inspections are permitted prior to sale.

If it keeps the numbers down, I guess it's not that bad of a crap shoot. That being said, a complete brake job on the Rolls can run up to $2K.

38 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

Which appears to mean not much regard for the Buyer if no inspections are permitted prior to sale.

If it keeps the numbers down, I guess it's not that bad of a crap shoot. That being said, a complete brake job on the Rolls can run up to $2K.

I called Yvette VanDerBrink a few weeks ago and she agreed that it was an unfortunate situation but went on to say that the matter was completely out of her hands. I didn't go on to press her for details because I knew that less than optimal sale prices would result in less than optimal yield for her company. Your "Which appears to mean not much regard for the Buyer if no inspections are permitted prior to sale" is needlessly judgmental.

There may be a very simple explanation. If the owner is in a rest home and has exhausted their funds and their stay is being covered by Medicaid then all proceeds may go to Medicaid. Under those circumstances there is not much benefit  in maximizing sale prices.

• Like 1

Whoever put the collection , must have been colour blind never seen such a sad set of colours and as mentioned above I would also want to respray anything I bought , however nothing appeals much apart from the kaiser, and having no idea what the market price is for such a car will just watch 

cheers 

pilgrim

7 hours ago, GregLaR said:

I've never had a Rolls so I don't know from personal experience but I have heard they can run up to 10G for a brake job.   Maybe the parts are just 2 G.  I know a simple brake job on a newer vehicle can hit 2 G if new rotors and Calipers are needed on all 4 with labor.  Especially when alot of shops are starting to push $100 an hour. 

auburnseeker,

I did own one of a similar vintage, probably 12 years ago now. My estimate was based on that time period/experience, so yes, I am probably too low by today's pricing.

Yes, Bryan, Yvette is well respected in these parts. The odd nature of this auction is just due to circumstance and nothing more sinister than that. I thought a few guys would find it interesting to watch what the cars would bring in this situation.  As is occasionally true, I regret bringing up the subject.

Hudsy,

Why would you regret bringing this subject up? It's a good topic and generated lots of responses in a short period. Like most other threads it's just a mixed bag of opinions. No harm done to your friend's auction and, who knows, maybe a buyer will be generated from this thread. B)

19 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Yes, Bryan, Yvette is well respected in these parts. ......  As is occasionally true, I regret bringing up the subject.

Don't let the turkeys get you down. I think it is interesting even though I know I can not purchase another car with my current circumstances. It is fun and interesting to see an auction I would not have known about. I don't think anyone should kill the messenger as that just stops people from posting things that may be insightful, helpful and fun for others. If it is not your cup of tea don't drink it. Sorry for the rant but I've seen this happen on other forums due to experts (definition of experts is -- a has been drip under pressure) telling everyone how to think like them. Have fun 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On April 15, 2017 at 7:54 AM, vermontboy said:

There may be a very simple explanation. If the owner is in a rest home and has exhausted their funds and their stay is being covered by Medicaid then all proceeds may go to Medicaid. Under those circumstances there is not much benefit  in maximizing sale prices.

Without wasting everyone's time on a rant, I will agree with vermontboy that there could be many reasons this auction is being handeled this way. 

GregLaR, I can only hope that you don't wind up in a situation with your family where maximizing car sales only pales in comparison to the emotional and beaurocraric termoil some of us face when dealing with our sick elders, not mention the logistics of getting them care.

Shame on you for being so judgemental without knowing the situation. You have no idea what some families are facing. If you have 10 hours I can give you some crib notes on what I have faced. Count yourself lucky that you can't fathom a situation where handling this auction this way makes sense and spare me your attitude.  

Some of us sacrifice more in income, quality of life and years of our lives to make sure cars go to good homes at a good price but it's not something I'd expect out of anyone. I could, and probably will,  loose everything and will never recover the costs of liquidating my father's cars. It would have been easier to do something like this given my situation but it was a personal choice that I wouldn't expect anyone else to make to do it. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

Why the personal attack?

Not so much an attack as a caution that you don't know the situation and I feel you should reconsider your (in your words), "deliberately judgmental" comments. There's more to this story I'm sure. Cars are not the most important aspect when dealing with the illness or death of loved ones with auto collections. I have personally been through a lot, and can only image the backstory of this situation.

Count yourself lucky that you do not understand that aspect of the hobby. If you did, you would not have made that comment. 

Here is this old man last Easter. It still is this Easter. Deep breath. Think of all the BEST times you have ever had. Vic' I hope you got to Luckenbach for the Hug In. If not , go soon. Greg I hope to meet you if I ever really can get it together and at least drive my '27 Cad from 'Vegas to L.A. Every minute and every experience we have ever had has lead us to this day. Peace on Earth and on this wonderful forum. Deep breath. Think about the good times.   - Carl

image.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

.....and you would not profess to know what I have or have not experienced.

Greg, stop tugging at my braids as if we are in 4th grade. If you want to flirt you can PM me. This is not the topic of this thread and I will not respond to any more of your comments here. 

We are good people. We are all in it together here , helping each other out in our fun hobby. It is a very cooperative hobby. We all need  each other's help, and we all offer it. The highest calling in life is service to others. Sometimes inordinatey grueling service over long periods of time results in "Battle Fatigue". What an honor to be one among you all ! Thanks , guys and gals !  - Carl

• Like 1

I still appreciate you posting this auction information and have enjoyed following it even knowing I can't buy any of the cars. 

Thanks and to be judgmental if you can't have fun with a thread stay off it!  

Sorry just couldn't hold back. 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 1