GMs Homliest Car?

Most every of the early 1980s X cars for five. Mom & dad each had Omega sedans (ugh!). Dad's business used several more Omegas, one Skylark and an anemic Phoenix fastback. No Citations or Cimmarons.

By chance, not everybody has the same opinion! To me, the first FWD X bodies were real nice; they were recognized at first glance as a US car in Europe. Unfortunately, the quality was another issue.

While the Citation was an X car, the Cimaron was a J car.

Edited by Roger Zimmermann (see edit history)

Sometimes GM got the trim wrong on what could otherwise have been a handsome car. Other times they got the proportions wrong- the downsized A-bodies for 78 come to mind. 78-80 Monte Carlos always looked like a pregnant cat on undersized roller skates to me. It had the "forward-thrusting" side styling the 73-77 wore so well, but on those teeny 14" wheels- too much space between tire and wheel-arch. Had that been a larger car and on 15" wheels, the effect would have been different, and that goes for all those downsized mid-size cars back then.

I never liked the 80s C-body cars, again for the proportion thing. And I still don't know what they were thinking when they did the 74-76 Impala Custom/Caprice and C-body coupes. That greenhouse is heinous, with that funky B-pillar and the quarter window lower edge higher than the door glass beltline. The B-O-P 'B' coupes weren't a lot better.

And other times, as in the case of Aztek, they just got it ALL wrong. The modern "performance" stuff leaves much to be desired in styling too- the overall look is too heavy and clunky.

GM needs another Bill Mitchell!   He gave us some fantastic designs from 1927, and reached his prime in the mid-sixties.  Maybe partly because of Federal regulations, his career went downhill in the seventies; his final styling effort being the razorback '80-'85 Cadillac Seville.

Craig

GM needs another Bill Mitchell!   He gave us some fantastic designs from 1927, and reached his prime in the mid-sixties.  Maybe partly because of Federal regulations, his career went downhill in the seventies; his final styling effort being the razorback '80-'85 Cadillac Seville.

Craig

Mitchell didn't get to Harley Earl's art and color until 1935. In 1927 Mitchell was only 15.

I think any time we want to discuss "ugliest car" we should automatically disqualify the Aztek. It's always going to win that particular, er, beauty contest. So what's the second-ugliest GM car?

OK, it's the Aztec.  But take another look at the 42 Oldsmobile front end.  Looks like some of the characters in the cartoon movie "Cars".  Could be a magnet for younger folks to join us.

Craig

Which is why we have still have so many ugly and uncomfortable cars today!

You beat me to it ... exactly what I was thinking.

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Just a little insight won't make this right" __ All-American Rejects __ 'It Ends Tonight'

Mitchell didn't get to Harley Earl's art and color until 1935. In 1927 Mitchell was only 15.

Right!!  Harley Earl opened the Art & Colour Studio in 1927, and Mitchell started a few years later.

Craig

Guest Skyking

It's because computers are designing most!  Real people couldn't possibly be doing some of them.

The hideous GM H3 Hummer - don't know if it is a car, truck, SUV or some other mad-monk automotive alphabet designation. And it may not be the ugliest, but makes my top 5 ugly GM products. Somewhat cartoon like as it turned out since it has little of the capability it pretends to have.

Ingress and egress is torture, then there are those tank slit windows. Rides like a cement mixer and about as noisy.

Out of the GM lineup today. Truly a mercy killing.

post-109481-0-38957100-1431692776_thumb.

Edited by Uncle_Buck (see edit history)

At least you could carry other things with trucks like that. Those so called "smart cars" aren't very smart if all you can do is ride it in without any possibility of making the trip purposeful.

Those things are really hard on the eyes!

The thing with the Aztek is that GM did everything right then did everything wrong. The 1999 Aztek show vehicle looked AWESOME. A right-sized 4x4 with a pretty tough look and a lot of innovative features. Car show attendees loved it and clamored for GM to build it. GM, finally listening to public opinion, DID build it. Unfortunately, to make it economically feasible, they had to engineer it on an existing platform (something show cars don't have to worry about). That platform? The same minivan platform of the aforementioned Lumina APV.

So they went from having a rugged-looking, go-anywhere SUV to having a weird-looking minivan thingy that nobody could love. Great intentions, lousy results, typical GM. It's still ugly, it still deserves to be maligned, but the reason it exists at all is because the original looked fantastic. What a drag.

Guest Skyking

I often wonder why they used one in Breaking Bad.  Walter White seemed to like his.  Even his mechanic wanted it.

I think it was to portray Walter as a typical, schlub. He never made a good choice in his life, though he tried. He sold his part of the business for pennies, he ended up a teacher in a mediocre school, he decided to cook meth, he ended up killing people, he ruined his life, his marriage, his relationship with his son, his tenuous friendship with Jesse.

Of course he owned an Aztek. Viewers wouldn't have recognized a Daewoo or a Sterling

Edited by CarlLaFong (see edit history)

I'd like to throw the Avalanche truck in there too. Body by LEGO along with a few other models. And that recent era of Cadillac's mid-size car where they bragged about their "folded paper design". Some of those belong right next to the trophy they give to all the kids on a team regardless of accomplishments. Sometimes I believe that those who decide such stuff, regardless of the manufacturer, intend to prove that they can make anyone buy anything. Scion anyone? How about those Honda SUVs with the different colored parts on the outside? Then those other Asian imports with white roofs, black fenders, colored body, what the heck were they smoking? 

All in all there were several 1942 models that were lucky to see such limited production. At least by 46-47 they figured some of it out, and not just "The General".

Edited by Highlander160 (see edit history)

Wonder what the cars will look like when the  body piercing, nose ring and tattoos generation gets their chance.

Guest Skyking

2013_nissan_juke_angularfront.jpg

This one should have been called the Puke,not Juke.  This is the most hedious thing I've ever laid eyes on!!!!

Granted the grill is way too busy, but I do like the color coded feature. I haven't seen anyone try to clean up an existing 42 grill, but a 46-48 looks great and can easily be added without a double take. It's not like most of the ugly 80s on up vehicles can simply be cleaned up with just changing the front. I'm not a huge fan of the general 60s Olds headlight and grill layouts either.