BUICKMAN AWARD

Guest imported_MrEarl

Good on yer mate, you deserve it.

BTW folks, Willie was responsible for scouring the local Texan wrecking yards ( several times ) for a suitable ring and pinion for Irene. He even cleaned them up and sent USPS to Down Under. How's that for service. :cool:

Hey Guys

I really appreciate the selection for the Buickman Award and am honored to be in such good company. For me this ranks right up there with receiving a Gold/Senior after a 7 year restoration. Thanks!

But heck, I am just another enabler of this addiction. Here is how it works: I give you a little advice, maybe some parts, a bit of help, all the while telling you it is normal to spend hours on or under a car and finally go to bed sore and bleeding. Then when the project is finished I reveal how much fun it is to drive across the country...one to four thousand miles is no big deal. Just take off like you know what you're doing, you are now addicted and are expected to pass it on to others.

Willie

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

NEW BUICKMAN AWARD NOMINATION:

For Derek Thrille, for selflessy batteling the elements of time and nature, to rescue two abandonded and derelict Buicks, solely for the purpose of ensuring other Pre-war guys can have an opportunity to secure the parts. Talk about a real Buickman...

Guest sintid58

I don't know if he has been given the award or not but I think Mr Earl is very deserving of the Buickman award. Even if he has gotten it before I want to nominate him for it. He has been supportive and helpful to me since I first started on this forum, even when I have been outspoken and bullheaded. Once again today he proved he is a true Buickman. I went to try and look to see it he was on this post already but to honest am just to lazy to look all the way through it and see. Cheers to Lamar. :D

I don't know if he has been given the award or not but I think Mr Earl is very deserving of the Buickman award. Even if he has gotten it before I want to nominate him for it. He has been supportive and helpful to me since I first started on this forum, even when I have been outspoken and bullheaded. Once again today he proved he is a true Buickman. I went to try and look to see it he was on this post already but to honest am just to lazy to look all the way through it and see. Cheers to Lamar. :D

Check posts 16-26 ;)

...and oh yeah, he started this whole thread :D

In my opinion the award should be named after Lamar, he has been front and center in helping me ever since I started with this hobby. Jease, it was even him that found my dream ride for me...

There are many people though who also tirelessly work at helping others in this hobby and I thank you all....without this community I would have never even tried to start a project.

Thanks.

Guest DaveCorbin

Re: Buickman Award to "Thriller"

What's really scary is it appears that it's hereditary in his family. His daughter won the national Buick Literary award at Colorado Springs for her article about the 2007 McLaughlin/Buick Nationals.

Since his 9 year old son was too young for our junior judging school this year, I took him on a field tour of the BCA National show. As I think many of you know, I'm a professionally experienced vehicle guy (MIT mech. engineering degree and 29 years with IH) and have some knowledge of Buick history. At the end of a 4 hour barrage of questions ranging from 1904 thru 1950 and any vehicle subject you can imagine related to Buick, I was a "limp rag". I must confess honestly that I had to tell Joseph on about a dozen questions "I don't know and I don't even know where to tell you to look." I told Mrs. Thille that it was probably God's way of paying me back for the day I took a tour of the IH Farmall Plant when I was 12, only I was the one with the questions then.

I talked with one of our North Texas members about Derek's other son (he was a junior judge) and he reported a quite similiar experience.

LOOK OUT, IT"S HEREDITARY!!

Regards, Dave Corbin

PS: The BCA is going to be in good hands for a long time to come if Thriller's kids are a representative sample!

Edited by DaveCorbin (see edit history)

For Derek Thrille, for selflessy batteling the elements of time and nature, to rescue two abandonded and derelict Buicks, solely for the purpose of ensuring other Pre-war guys can have an opportunity to secure the parts. Talk about a real Buickman...

HEAR HEAR, the Thriller is indeed a BUICKMAN if ever there was one. I mean someone who's goal is a Buick of every decade in his garage... gotta be considered a Buickman. And yea, he'll help anybody out in anyway he can. I won't say to what extent he has offered help to me more than once, but will say I was truly humbled. So here ya go, Thriller

BUICKMAN.jpg

Aw shucks...thanks guys. It was hardly battling the elements...a bit cool, but no rain or snow or anything like that...with a cup of coffee and cookies after we got everything loaded up and the truck and trailer out of the yard.

Bob...I think you may be on to something - The Lamar - a statuette based on the Buickman image Lamar has...to the BCA what the Oscar is to acting.

Dave - thanks for the chuckle. Every now and again, I try to remember to quiz Joseph on what he learned that day. Just to set the record straight, it was a Junior Literary Award that Teresa won...not to diminish it, but I understand that is given to any youngster who has an article published. It is a concept that is cherished though.

Lamar - I've still got my fingers crossed....

The BCA is going to be in good hands for a long time to come if Thriller's kids are a representative sample!

Dave, I think you have hit the nail on the head. They have big shoes to fill but they sure look like they well be able to fill them.

• 4 weeks later...

Sid, Bob and Dave

Apparently I got all caught up in dolling out much deserved accolades to the Thriller I did not see y'all's nomination of me on the previous page. Thanks guys. :)

And now Dereks statement about "....a statuette based on the Buickman image ...to the BCA what the Oscar is to acting" makes sense. Maybe the BOD might consider giving out an annuall Buick Man Award at the national meets and include it in the Bugle covering the meet. (or maybe not, just a thought) :)

• 2 months later...

Thanks to Lamar for starting this thread. I would like to nominate the "Mouth of the South" Bruce Kile. Joe Taubitz has done a lot for the Buick Club but so has Bruce. Bruce has started two Buick Club Chapters one in Ohio and the Dixie Chapter in Georgia. Bruce has organized many "After Tours" after BCA National Meets and has worked tirelessly in heading up the B.O.P shows in Atlanta and two National Meets in Atlanta. Along with his wife Shar you can always count on Bruce and if you need an MC at a car show, there is none better than the "Mouth of the South."

Don

I would like to second your nomination !!

You are absolutely right !! Bruce and Shar Kile do more for the BCA than most people can even fathom. Most of the kudos here are going to members that help individual members, and they are all deserving of the award.

Bruce and Shar do more to promote the BCA and the club as a whole than any group you can name.

They have been at the forefront or lurking in the background ( with assistance ) of almost every tour run by the BDE. They are the driving force behind the after tours from the nationals

Being a fellow Dixie Chapter member I certainly agree with this nomination. So be it then, it is unamiously agreed that The Mouth of the South, Mr. Bruce Kile along with his wife Shar should receive the first ever

BUICK COUPLE AWARD

BUICKMAN.jpg

Since they don't frequent this forum, I will let him know he is being talked about. Surely then he will have a few words to say.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Being a fellow Dixie Chapter member I certainly agree with this nomination. So be it then, it is unamiously agreed that The Mouth of the South, Mr. Bruce Kile along with his wife Shar should receive the first ever

BUICK COUPLE AWARD

Since they don't frequent this forum, I will let him know he is being talked about. Surely then he will have a few words to say.

They are lurkers!!!!! In their Pajamas!

BDE Fall Tour 2009 Pajama Party

post-30793-143138170952_thumb.jpg

A few words from The Buick Couple

Dear "Mr. Earl"

Being (somewhat) "cyberly challenged" in that we rarely click onto forums, much less have ever taken the time to engage in "chat rooms", we figured that maybe you would be kind enough to pass on our sincere gratitude for being nominated, endorsed & chosen as the recipients of the (first) "Buick Couple Award".

It is indeed an honor & a privilege to receive this most dignified award. Perhaps you will give us the opportunity to thank you & "Mrs Earl" in person at the upcoming Dixie Chapter "Bowl-A-Rama" or the 29th Annual "Peach

Blossom" B.O.P.C April 23 & 24th? BTW (just for the record) while it is true that I may be known as the "mouth of the south" (dispite being born & raised in Buicktown) my lovely bride of (nearly) 52 years is known as "the brains behind the mouth". Without Shar's organizational skills & practically everyone knows I'd be just another unfinished restoration. In their endorsements for this award, I'm sure "The Old Guy", "Buick Racer", Don M. & "My 3 Racers" and yes even you "Mr. Earl", were really thinking of poor little Shar when you wrote all those kind words. Oh, one more thing, of the many things in the BCA & BDE we have had the privilege & opportunity to be involved in over the past 37 years, being the "founder" of the N.E. Ohio Chapter is not one of them. It was there we joined the BCA in 1973 and later elected to Chapter Director. The N.E.O B.C.A had been "in business" for a couple years before.

Humbly & In Peace

Bruce & Shar Kile BCA 3013, BDE 11

Marietta, Ga.

36 Special "Ole Smoky"

62 Electra "Laverne"

70 Skylark "Barb"

75 LeSabre Convt. "Ginger" (coming soon)

03 Regal GS "Joe Aboud"

• 4 months later...

Here's to John DeFiore aka JohnD1956 for his excellent work in capturing these shots at the latest NY BCA show. Getting all these people together with their cars for these great pictures took some time and dedicated effort.

http://forums.aaca.org/f115/ny-bca-chapters-show-june-12-a-283483.html#post770478

Way to go JohnD, you da man!!!

you da

Buickmancardedited.jpg

• 1 month later...

At the forum breakfast in Ames Bill Stoneberg and Rick Young were a given the BUICKMAN AWARD. This was mentioned in another thread...anyhow it is here now, and oh yeah 'Congratulations!'

Now for another nomination: Bob Coker. We all know how he rescued the Landau and brought it to Ames, but all who meet him in person will agree that he is an instant friend. A friend who will share his 'words of wisdom', his pot of coffee and time helping with parts.

Willie

Hear, Hear!!!! Thank you Willie for your nomination of Mr Robert E Coker as BUICK MAN. I have known Bob for almost 10 years swapping parts and stories. Always more than fair on the parts and always a great story to tell. I just spent a week with this man, on the road, in a hotel room and at the show so I can attest, yes, he is indeed a BUICK MAN of the First Order.

The first ANNUAL BUICK MAN AWARD

was presented this year in Ames Iowa at the 2010 BCA National at the BCA Forum breakfast. About 22 BCAFer's were on hand to witness the event and to congratulate not one but two special people for this honorable award. MrEarl officiated the ceremony and presented a commemorative plaque and the first ever BUICK MAN T-Shirts (3X) to the unsuspecting and surprised recipients.

I'd like to ask everyone reading this right now to please give a thumbs up to the two fine Buick gentlemen.

Mr. Rick Young and Mr. Bill Stoneberg

(Please note, only the names were changed on Bill Stonebergs plaque)

Please click the bar and magnify to help read the text)

buickman20100016804131.jpg

10091376824849.jpg

post-31987-143138273291_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138273293_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138273298_thumb.jpg

post-31987-1431382733_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I'd like to recognize all the folks of the Texas South Central Region and Alamo Chapter for their hospitality and fine welcome to myself and wife Rita when we attended their Meet back in October. But especially I'd like to nominate one couple that really helped ease our minds when I learned that my trucks radiator was leaking. Willie and Mary Ann Pittman invited (insisted actually) us to stop at there place on our way home so we could assess the situation and if necessary order a radiator and extended an invitation to stay over if needed while the truck was in the shop. We stopped by but determined that the water in the radiator had found it's level (as Willis B suggested it might) and that we could probably make it home to Georgia alright. But not only were we offered a nights stay, we were also treated to some great Texas barbecue. While there, Rita and Mary Ann took off looking at landscaping and house stuff while Willie and I took a ride in Buford and Willie turned me on to some 55 parts for my new hot rod project. SO with no further ado, I hereby nominate Willie and Mary Ann Pittman for the BUICK COUPLE AWARD.

BUICKMAN.jpg

Guest DaveCorbin

A further second from their Regional Director. We have a lot of really nice folks in the region and in our chapters, but the Pitmans are loved by all of us BCA'ers out here.

Dave Corbin