BUICKMAN AWARD

Guest imported_MrEarl

From post #39 in this thread

It should go without saying to anybody who has been on this forum for more than a few days, that I must wholeheartedly agree with this nomination. Willie was the main reason my 55 received a Senior award my first time showing at a National.... AFTER DRIVING IT 1800 MILES!

Thanks Willie.

Pic of Willie during my restoration.

P5130013.jpg

C'mon now,

Y'all know what Willie means to me. I talk to him at least once a day, either to ask him a stupid question or advice. He rarely leads me astray, although I always seem to do more, go farther, and consequently spend more after talking to him. He has me convinced now that I can paint my car!

The best thing he ever told me that really stuck is:

"If it is being done in my shop, it needs to meet my standards!"

Edited by buick5563
Added header (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Come on folks, do I have to do all the nominatin as well as the presentatin and everythin here. I'm sure there are more Buick Man candidates out there. Get your nominations in. The cut off for this years nominations for the award to be presented at the Forum Breakfast in Danvers in July is May 15th. So let's hear'em. :)

and...the title BUICK MAN can be altered to reflect WOMAN, COUPLE or whatever may be required.

and... the nominations will be secretly voted on through the forum this year

and...you will not have to be present at the Awards Breakfast to receive the award, but man, I would highly recommend it. You should hear the comments made about the winners when they are present, i can only imagine what might be said if you weren't.

and... to be nominated is honorable, the win is nobly sublime

and...yes, I'm makin the rules up as we go. I'm MrEarl, it's my football, I can do that.:Pbuba.gif

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

I'm too lazy to go back and check previous nominees / recipients, so apologies for any repeat offenders...

El Presidente Rick Young...down to earth Buick guy, a driving force behind 2010 National Meet in Ames

Treasurer (?) Bill Stoneberg...other driving force behind 2010 National and a big Buick booster

Mr. Pre War Buick Mark Shaw...I don't think we have another as-vocal advocate of the early Buicks and driving them

Mr. Buick Numbers David Corbin...spent a lot of time, energy, and money researching Buick numbers and makes himself readily available to answer questions

Distractions have occurred, so my train of thought has derailed...Teresa is taking part in a "heritage fair" at school, so is asking for information we have about Sam McLaughlin and his wonderful Canadian automobiles....

• 2 months later...

I'd like to re-nominate Willie for the Buick man award for his excellent post on the A/C compressor seal repair and his other posts over the last few years. Willie is the king of these Forums because he is a Do-er...and a person who speaks from experience.

Thanks Willie for all the help you give to everyone here. You're the best!

Guest DaveCorbin

I'm humbled to be mentioned as a nominee for a Buickman award and am grateful for Thriller and JohnD's kind words.

I would have to mention Terry Dunham, Bev Kimes and Bill Close (both now sadly gone) and others who cheered me on when I was ready to quit on the project of compiling the frame and engine numbers.

A special thanks to the folks who let me climb over, under, and thru their Buicks, especially the really early ones, where the Buick records were very poor. I would tell them "I'm letting the cars explain to me how Buick did things." That got me some odd looks but very good info on a subject that frustrated Prof. Therou and Dave Chambers years ago.

Again, thanks for the kind words in the nominations.

Regards, Dave Corbin

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Derek, but I agree that Dave Corbin deserves this honor for his years of tireless persuit of data to unravel the mysteries of the Buick numbering system.

Dave Corbin has been the go-to guy for many of us who need to know more about their Buicks.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest BJM

I wonder if Roberta Vasilow has been nominated.

She was instrumental in my BCA loyalty back when she was President. I remember getting emails from here and thought that was awesome, a BCA President corresponding with me.

She does a lot of behind the scenes stuff, has always been supportive of the Buick hobby, has some inside information on modern GM, has good relations with Dunham and Gustin, puts up with The Old Guy, and many other reasons to receive a Buickman Award (if she has not already received it).

I think Buickman Awards, at least in my mind, should go to those who approach me or are approachable at BCA Nationals and Regionals. Pat Brooks and his wife were very kind to my wife and I at a BCA Regional in Dubuque, Iowa a few years back by taking photos with us in front of their around the world 49 Super Woody.

Pat wouldn't know what I look like today but I remember him.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

I second the nomination for Roberta. I first met her while she was President, too. BJM is correct, she does a tremendous amount of work behind the scenes and was key to hosting two of the most successful Buick Nationals ever held, the ones in Flint for 2003 and 2008.

• 1 month later...

I'll steal Mr. Earl's thunder so as not to keep you all in suspense. There were two well deserved Buickman of the year awards. The first was delivered to Charles Barnette ( Posthumously), and the second to a great guy, Bob Coker!

What was not delivered was an award to Mr. Earl who obviously deserves it for everything he's done over the years to promote good will and participation amonst Buick Lovers all over the world! And I here-by nominate the man for the next immediate Buickman award.

I would also like to nominate John Schieb for his work in initiating and setting up the Forum Breakfast. A great job John and many thanks!

To make a minor correction to JD's post, I remember 3...Willie, aka Old-Tank, also received a BuickMan.

Heck, we all got a piece of BuickMan memorabilia...it is important and fun to show up at these.

I would also like to express thanks to John for setting it up.

I would also like to nominate John Schieb for his work in initiating and setting up the Forum Breakfast. A great job John and many thanks!

I second this nomination. John has served as two years as Northeast Region Director and has done a tremendous job assisting the BCA in this role. John, has assisted in the formation of the new Lower Hudson Valley Chapter. Also and I think many of the NE Chapter Directors will agree the communication between the chapters in the Region is greatly improved under John's guidance.

The prestigious BUICK MAN Awards for 2011 were presented at the BCAFer's Breakfast on Friday, July 8th in Danvers, Massachusetts. Approximately 24 forum members were present to witness the presentation of the award by MrEarl. It is becoming more and more difficult to decide to whom these awards should be given each year. There have been many great nominations over the years. Just remember, to be nominated is to win.

Again I found it impossible to narrow the list of nominations to just one person, so I'd like to ask everyone reading this right now to please give a salute to these fine Buick gentlemen.

Mr Charles Barnette (posthumously, may he rest in peace), Mr Bob Coker and Mr Willie Pittman.

post-31987-143138595078_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138595094_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138595109_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138595128_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138595144_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138595162_thumb.jpg

Hear, Hear, for Mr John Schieb, he's just not happy unless he is trying to help someone, and always with that smile on his face. Thanks for arranging the breakfast John, it was a huge success. Thanks also for helping pull the poster remembering Charles together for displaying with the Landau, I saw it being read MANY times.

• 2 months later...

Hey Folks, I'd like to nominate Pete Phillips for the Buickman award. I can't count the number of times I've seen him chime in here when someone needs parts that most would not keep. And of course I think he deserves the nomination for being the editor of the Bugle too.

Glad you're here Pete.

Pete would get my vote, if I had one.

what do ya mean if you had one, what did you do "loose" it? :D

You are a BuickMan, so certainly you have a vote. In fact, me thinks that is who should decide who the next BuickMan's are each year.... The previous years winners picks the next years. Sounds good to me, how about it Willie and Bob? :)