New Member & Questions re: Mercury Cars

Hello, world!

Spaceage here. I've been a classic car enthusiast all my life... I love attending cars & coffee and trying my hand at automotive photography by way of an outdated cellphone camera. It's the little things that bring me joy on a sunny Saturday morning. 🙂

Recently, I discovered a love of classic Mercurys. So much so, that I am currently considering taking the plunge into classic car ownership and buying a Mercury. These are unique cars you don't come across every day! I have seen only a handful at the numerous c&c events I have attended over the years.

Sadly, I let a beautiful "pink frost" 1963 Comet Custom get away. Which leads me to a couple questions... Should I wait around for another pink Comet to emerge? Or should I look into a 1957 Monterey instead?? 

If anyone here has experience driving and caring for either of these models, I would love to hear about it! It's proven difficult to find any buyer's guide online when it comes to either the '63 Comet or the 2nd generation Monterey. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Advice on that is welcome, too.

Cheers,

spaceage

• Like 1

I guess it would boil down to whether you want to drive a big car or a compact car. Ride, power and feel will be really different between the two.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, spaceage said:

Sadly, I let a beautiful "pink frost" 1963 Comet Custom get away. Which leads me to a couple questions... Should I wait around for another pink Comet to emerge? Or should I look into a 1957 Monterey instead?? 

Huge difference in vehicles, Comet is one zipcode in size and the Monterey is like 3 zipcodes in size.

Big difference in power plants, weight and size offered between the two..

Both nice cars but different segments they were marketed to.

Have a Brother that had a '66 Comet with a 170 inline 6 with "three on the tree", fun lightweight car..

There also may be a lower resale market for a lot of Mercurys of that era which can be good if you are buying, but bad if you were to need to sell.

One you missed was the Mercury Cougar which would be later 60's early 70's which does have some following.

Edited by ABear (see edit history)

1 hour ago, keiser31 said:

I guess it would boil down to whether you want to drive a big car or a compact car. Ride, power and feel will be really different between the two.

Yes, they are very different cars. I guess my question should have been more along the lines of, "Which model might not make my life harder?" 😅

I fell in love with the look of the pink frost Comet - but ONLY in that color. On the other hand, the Monterey is beautiful in practically every color I have encountered...

1 hour ago, ABear said:

Huge difference in vehicles, Comet is one zipcode in size and the Monterey is like 3 zipcodes in size.

Big difference in power plants, weight and size offered between the two..

Both nice cars but different segments they were marketed to.

Have a Brother that had a '66 Comet with a 170 inline 6 with "three on the tree", fun lightweight car..

There also may be a lower resale market for a lot of Mercurys of that era which can be good if you are buying, but bad if you were to need to sell.

One you missed was the Mercury Cougar which would be later 60's early 70's which does have some following.

The Cougar is a beautiful car! I saw a wonderfully restored '67 Cougar at c&c last spring. Looked as if it had just been driven out of the dealership.

The early Comet came to mind because it seems to share parts with the Ford Falcon. To be quite honest, mid-to-late '50s cars are more up my alley. But I imagine they tend to be harder on the wallet. I guess I'm looking for some direction given that this would be my first classic (and first foray into DIY maintenance).

Are you a mechanically inclined person?  Have you done automotive maintenance on your own vehicles?  If no or very little I would be inclined to start with a Comet size vehicle.  Easy to maintain by comparison.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, TerryB said:

Are you a mechanically inclined person?  Have you done automotive maintenance on your own vehicles?  If no or very little I would be inclined to start with a Comet size vehicle.  Easy to maintain by comparison.  

Sadly, no. I've always wanted to learn to work on cars. I have done only cosmetic work on my '07 Mustang like replacing trim, badging, mirrors, and weather stripping. Haven't ever driven anything older than that (my parents were strict about bringing "old cars" home - now I'm married and have to convince my husband to let me get my hands dirty somehow 😅).

Good point about choosing to start with the Comet or another similar vehicle. Thanks for you input!

Edited by spaceage (see edit history)
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, TerryB said:

How about this one, it’s not a Mercury but it is owned by a person who is well known and respected on this forum

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/418319-35000-1957-ford-fairlane-500-skyliner-hard-top-retractable-for-sale/#comment-2702631

Wow!! A beautiful car! Thank you for putting that on my radar. I'm still learning to navigate this forum (hadn't yet ventured into the buy/sell threads). Much appreciated 🙏

I am neither pro or anti Mercury. I would make the following suggestions:

Buy a convertible or 2 Dr hardtop. The restoration costs are the same but value is higher, compared to other styles.

Learn which parts interchange with Falcon and Mustang.   Easy availability on these

In general, deviation from stock decreases value by more than you might save in materials

• Like 1

First, spaceage, welcome.

We have a "not mine- for sale" forum farther down in the Forums and several early 60s Mercury have shown up there in the last few weeks. Including a NICE Pink Lustre 63 Marauder.

Here's your car, ma'am.😎

Or maybe your tastes run to the ultimate in 60s Mercury cool- the Breezeway. Here's a 65 and a 63 (in Frost Pink no less).

Good luck in your search. My advice with a Mercury is get the best one you can find and afford to start. Mercury share a lot with same years Ford but Mercury-specific pieces might be hard to locate, and they're definitely not catalog cars like Mustang, Camaro or Tri-Five Chevy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, spaceage said:

I have a few Lincolns but no Mercuries.

But here are thoughts from my hobby perspective:

So many different cars have been made, even

if you just consider the 1960's.  But collectors tend

to notice and restore only a small subset of those,

overlooking others, and so many nice cars remain

affordable.  If you go to a typical car event, you'll

see the Cougars, the Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs,

Impalas, etc.  But I like the less-seen models, such

as the Breezeway Mercuries posted above.  And those

less-seen models are often affordable due to lower

demand, though hard to find now in excellent condition.

Similarly, you don't need to follow the collectors' focus

on convertibles and 2-door hardtops.  Because of demand,

they are now more expensive.  No need to follow the crowd!

In searching for an old car, you can't be too specific, such 

as a 1963 Comet in pink-frost color.  Open wide your eyes

and other interesting things will eventually present themselves.

I'm quite amazed that Rocketraider located other pink-frost

Mercuries!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I hang out in NMFS too much.🤗

I also have a thing for the light metallic colors every carmaker offered in the early 60s. They define the era for me.

If you go several pages deep in the NMFS Forum you'll also find a few nice Comets, and a Monterey Breezeway two-door sedan that appears to be all there but needs work. 

I go there every day and am always grateful that a lot of those cars are on the other side of the country from me. Keeps me from doing stupid stuff.

• Like 3

As far as pricing goes, there are a

couple of respectable guides I know:

---Hagerty, on the internet.  They are an insurer

of collector cars.  Their guide has values for only

some cars, not all.

https://www.hagerty.com/valuation-tools

---Old Cars Weekly.  They have price guides 4 times

a year in their printed magazine.  They have been highly

respected in the past, when they published "Old Cars

Report Price Guide" as a separate publication.  I infer

that they've retrenched a bit and might not be updating

their guide as thoroughly now, but they're still okay.

https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spaceage said:

The Cougar is a beautiful car! I saw a wonderfully restored '67 Cougar at c&c last spring. Looked as if it had just been driven out of the dealership.

The early Comet came to mind because it seems to share parts with the Ford Falcon. To be quite honest, mid-to-late '50s cars are more up my alley. But I imagine they tend to be harder on the wallet. I guess I'm looking for some direction given that this would be my first classic (and first foray into DIY maintenance).

Some parts are shared on the same platforms, mechanical parts like brakes, shocks, springs, steering may interchange but body panels, interior and trim not so much as each model based on the same platform has it's own styles. With that same thought, sometimes you can also find the same interchange of parts between Ford and Mercury but body panels and trim may be different. That isn't a rule set in stone as sometimes there were upgraded brakes and suspension components involved..

Good example of that I remember of was my Dad had a 1968 Mercury Colony Park wagon, he had to buy Lincoln brakes and suspension parts for it. Typically you would be able to use Ford station wagon parts but not the case of that Colony Park, the Ford brake parts were too small to fit..

Another interesting interchange was Ford Maverick and Mercury Comet in the 1970s.. Same suspension and running gear, same body, same interior, just a few minor changes like rear taillights, front hood, front bumper and grill and body trim and badging.. Otherwise 100% interchangeable.

Space age…….

There a lot to consider.

It’s great you have the passion, but the passion can become a very fast slippery slope burden.

If you answer the questions honestly , you can find what you want right away.

How old are you?

Whats your budget?

Can you REALLY work on a car?

Do you have friends or people in your area  that can do the odd jobs you can’t do?

This is not intended to offend or put down but we see WAY to often that the dream does not turn into reality.

Ive seen 80 year old friends buy a rust bucket and think they are doing a full resto like they were 30, only to realize they can’t do it any longer.

If your say under 40, do you want to polarize a generator?

Pump single fruit jar brakes?

offset alignments from bias to radial tires?

I think you get my drift……

If you cannot do 80 percent of the repairs and service, buy or lease a 5 year old dream car……

If you want a classic , buy the best restored car possible.

Times have changed, 90 percent of the repair, chrome, exhaust , tire , starter, generator guys are DEAD.

Not out of business but DEAD, so

GREAT luck and really think it out.

Gtjoey1314 adjusting mechanical brakes on a1934 Jaguar SS-1😁

IMG_1112.jpeg

Edited by Gtjoey (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Good thread and a lot of wise thoughts from experienced old-timers to anyone who is new in the hobby.

My only thought would be this---if it was the color of the Comet that caught your eye, then look at the larger Mercurys from the mid to late 50s--LOTS of flamboyant colors and PINK was almost common.

OK, so I have TWO thoughts---Literature---review old sales brochures and see what strikes your fancy.  Here is a link to Mercury literature:

http://www.lov2xlr8.no/mercury.html

Good hunting

Edited by Littlestown Mike (see edit history)
  • Like 1

As said, look for the best one that flips your boat. Find a good quality original/refurbished/restored one that speaks to you. 
That way you can drive/enjoy at your leisure and tackle issues that arise when they come along. 
Much easier to take care of small stuff then have to address large stuff when you are on a learning curve. 
Make contacts at those cars and coffee events and know that almost every one of them owners are in it for fun and do have passion. Even if they own something other than Mercury's. Most will lend a hand and help the newbies of the hobby succeed. 
And dont forget to come back here and update us. Lots of knowledge and passion here. 
Pretty much a nation wide/international decease that afflics a lot of us. 

3 hours ago, Gtjoey said:

If you cannot do 80 percent of the repairs and service, buy or lease a 5 year old dream car…

I'll agree and disagree with some of the 

proffered opinions.  We are practical and

don't want to discourage newcomers.

I'm not a mechanic,

yet I enjoy several antique cars 1916-1995.

Repairs are done by local mechanics, and

they themselves appreciate old cars.  You

don't have to be a mechanic to own an antique,

but you must find one who knows the old cars.

If you're say under 40, do you want to polarize a generator?

It's a hobby for ALL ages.  Different technology

is not a limit.  For example, the man who bought

a 1915 Ford Model T had to learn absolutely everything

as he just graduated from a horse!

If you want a classic , buy the best restored car possible.

With the above I heartily concur.  Doing so

will save money in the long run.

20 hours ago, spaceage said:

Recently, I discovered a love of classic Mercurys. So much so, that I am currently considering taking the plunge into classic car ownership and buying a Mercury.

Congrats on having such excellent taste!  Why not just check out those Mercurys that are in your area for sale.  I would not advise buying anything (especially a first timer) without seeing it, driving it, and really getting a good look at it.

• Like 1

SpaceAge:

Mercurys, whether Comet, Meteor or Full-sized are an excellent choice to a first-time old car enthusiast to buy without large investment to get a very good car.  As noted, most are overlooked or bypassed in favor of Cougars and the performance models.  The 'breezeway' 1963-'66 Mercurys are something of an acquired taste but guaranteed not to be ignored at a Cars & Coffee.  Best part is examples in good condition appear for reasonable money frequently (less than $10K). 

In your search for the best all-around Mercury that excites the prospect of ownership, check here frequently on the 'For Sale - Not Mine' forum where we re-post cars advertised on other on-line sites which might be of interest.  Use the 'Search' function on that forum in the upper right to see what has been posted in the last few years.  If a car looks attractive and the seller posted his phone number, a call might find that the car is still available.  Many old cars don't sell that quickly.

Steve

Edited by 58L-Y8
addendum comments (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Look around and take your time. Check out anything Mercury if thats what you want. Buy the best you can afford. This last bit of advice is counter to a lot of others, BUT dont let your lack of car knowledge (mechanical or otherwise) dissuade you. I knew what a car was when I started full force in this hobby but that about it. A few restorations later and I still dont know much but I think I can keep my car on the road! 

Posted (edited)

First off, thank you to everyone who has provided their input. I'm excited to have found this forum. I've spent the better part of my Saturday afternoon browsing all sorts of threads, familiarizing myself with the search function, and really enjoying the insightful content here! I’m happy to be here, and hope to become a contributing member someday. 😊

To address a few topics that have come up--

I do intend to take some time to research cars and see what comes up for sale near me. I would prefer to purchase a well-maintained or recently restored, turn-key vehicle. I agree, it will be an easier transition to learn to address mechanical issues that may arise. Taking on a restoration project, no matter how small, would probably feel too overwhelming for me. 

Thank you @rocketraider for sending those sale listings! Those Breezeways are really something. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I have never seen one before. Very, very cool.

Thank you as well @John_S_in_Penna for providing those pricing resources. I wasn’t familiar with Old Cars Weekly. Instant bookmark additions to my browser homepage. 👍

@LaughingCoyote That’s a very cool project you’ve got! Unfortunately, more than I can take on at the moment. Thanks for sharing!

To answer a few questions posed by @Gtjoey--

I am under 40 and very willing to learn to work on a car, no matter how frustrating it might be – hah! My budget is $20k, though realistically I’d prefer to spend $12-15k. One reason Mercury has caught my attention is that there seem to be a lot of options when working with a lower budget. Finally, I have no friends in the area who can help me complete mechanical work, but I do have access to a garage with lifts, tools, and staff to assist me. Hopefully that’s enough to get started? I’m a stubborn one!

Wow, what a fun resource @LittlestownMike! Thank you!

Again, thank you to everyone for your warm welcome! I’ll update you all when I find my car. Cheers 😊

Edited by spaceage (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Mr Matt Harwood is a great member of this forum and a dealer of nice antique automobiles. Here is a link to a 1953 Mercury he has in his inventory.  While there you can survey his other offerings to get an idea of what $XXXXXX dollars gets you. The 1953 may not be what you are looking for but for education purposes read the car’s description as it might be helpful to your search.  Good luck!

https://www.harwoodmotors.com/vehicles/inventory_details.php?id=1785

• Like 1

Do you like Buicks? All these comments about Ford products and wanting to work on them makes me think your desire to leaning to work on cars might overcome your dreams.

I am not lazy but I drive Buicks because they require minimal routine maintenance. There is a subliminal warning on those Merc's when you use your left hand for the ignition.

21 minutes ago, TerryB said:

Mr Matt Harwood is a great member of this forum and a dealer of nice antique automobiles. Here is a link to a 1953 Mercury he has in his inventory.  While there you can survey his other offerings to get an idea of what $XXXXXX dollars gets you. The 1953 may not be what you are looking for but for education purposes read the car’s description as it might be helpful to your search.  Good luck!

https://www.harwoodmotors.com/vehicles/inventory_details.php?id=1785

Sheesh, what a beautiful car!! Thank you for sending a link to Mr. Harwood's page. The write-up for that Mercury is truly informative, and well-written. I'm sure I'll be a frequent visitor. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Do you like Buicks? All these comments about Ford products and wanting to work on them makes me think your desire to leaning to work on cars might overcome your dreams.

I am not lazy but I drive Buicks because they require minimal routine maintenance. There is a subliminal warning on those Merc's when you use your left hand for the ignition.

To be honest, I haven't at all looked into Buick. I've come across several Buick Specials at c&c recently. Your take makes me think I should chat with the owners a little more. I've always, perhaps mistakenly, assumed Buicks are expensive to own and maintain. 

At the next cars n coffee, if you see a car that may peak your interest, or even see one from a particular decade you may be interested in, engage in a conversation with the owner. Us car guy usually like to talk about our cars. Tell them you are interested in a purchase and are looking for dos and donts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spaceage said:

I've always, perhaps mistakenly, assumed Buicks are expensive to own and maintain. 

Buicks typically are not expensive to buy,

nor to maintain.  They have a following, with

good club support by the Buick Club of America.

Chevrolets, less expensive when new, are often

more expensive than Buicks due to greater

popularity.

Also, when looking at cars for sale, be aware that

asking prices may be far too high.  Many times I

see them actually double a car's true worth.  You

can check completed auctions on Ebay along with

some good price guides.  In this forum's "Not Mine"

section of cars for sale, you can ask questions and

read others' opinions of the cars.    

On 8/2/2024 at 2:57 PM, spaceage said:

Good point about choosing to start with the Comet or another similar vehicle. Thanks for you input!

I'll advise oppositely.  A small car like the

Comet may be a bit simpler, but larger models

of the same era aren't difficult either.  And in

that era, the medium-to-larger cars were smoother,

more comfortable highway cars.  The small cars

were more unrefined and not ideal for long trips.

Longer wheelbase and greater weight (and more

comfort features) were regarded as making quite

a difference in roadability then.

The kid is under 40!

A Buick🤣

So much more living before a Buick🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Only kidding but Space age your thinking clearly.

A Comet/Mustang/Cougar that era parts are readily available.

Very simple and doesn’t need a 3 car garage to fit.

A 1954 Mercury blows away a 52/53 in so many ways but , that’s for US old guys to dispute👍🏾😘

Come to Hershey….TALK to people!

Do the UN Millenial thing like my boys!

you’ll like it!!!!

My son might be coming too , 35!

You can learn a lot….

Then maybe you surprise your spouse with a 1938 Bentley😁

you never know

Have fun and enjoy!

Gtjoey1314

IMG_6027.jpeg

• Haha 1

I actually do have something relevant to add here. I have a friend who owned a Mercury Comet estate. He could do some basic maintenance, and he did drive it for a good long while. I think he got his money's worth in fun and transportation. So based on his experience, I think a Comet is a good place to start. Furthermore, we own a '57 Sunliner. If that car is an accurate assessment for other similar FoMoCo convertibles, they must make use of complicated weatherproofing, etc. Unless you have an affordable and good upholsterer, that can send you under. 

Many car hobbyists are 70 or more, but

their long experience is useful to learn from.

One man I knew (1920-2023) passed on

last year at 103, worked part-time at least to

age 100, and we published many insightful

car experiences he had before World War II

which he wrote about.

Another avid collector, probably in his 30's,

works in finance for one of the car companies

and produces insightful Youtube videos.  Adam's

channel is "Rare Classic Cars and Automotive History."

I don't know him, but his favorites are Mercuries from

the late 1960's into the 1970's.  He covers many other

cars, too, mostly from the 1960's to the 1980's.  Here,

for example, he covers the 1971 and 1972 Mercury Marquis:

• Thanks 1

We had the exact 72 including color

I fell asleep watching the video it’s so mellow.

my dad bought that because the Lincoln was 20 percent more!!  Remember?
As this guy said don’t take the turns to fast you get seasick🤣🤣

What a boat , remember back then we thought the cars were getting too small and cheap from the 50s early 60s🤣

Now the Lincoln Mark III 

Thats the Sh@t!

Gtjoey trying to be hip with the millenials😁

47 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Here,

for example, he covers the 1971 and 1972 Mercury Marquis:

Great two years to consider, before the 1973 & newer got the ugly 5-mph bumpers.

Craig

Mr. Spaceage, as noted above, the 1973-up

cars have heavy chrome bumpers, much as did

the cars of the 1950's.  For some reason, they

are not preferred by some collectors.  That's

an opportunity!  When realistically  priced, they

remain very affordable and collectible.