Newbie - Just acquired a 1970 cutlass convertible. Value?

Just recently acquired this car..1970 cutlass convertible..completely rebuilt rocket motor. All brake lines replaced with stainless steel and all electrical components replaced..the rocket engine is not original to the car . Just asking what you think would be a fair price

20240524_195725.jpg

20240524_195734.jpg

20240524_195746.jpg

20240524_195748.jpg

Are you planning to put it together or flipping it as-is? Regardless of your answer, more photos would be needed - inside, all around outside and underneath, plus a more complete description.

• Like 4

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Newbie - Just acquired a 1970 cutlass convertible. Value?

It's all in the presentation. Detailed pictures. Parts displayed in a very organized order. Nothing lying on seats or the roof. Adjacent clutter moved out of camera view. No distracting background stuff.

On the optimistic end of the scale spend a couple of days and shoot for $15,000 worth of sizzle. Showing a steak is just a slab of meat without the sizzle.

"Acquired" is one of my "smoke" words when nebulous doesn't fit the audience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Over the years we have seen similar threads.  Personally I will be surprised if he ever gets back to us.  Newbie, throw out a what is it worth query against the wall, see if it sticks, take info you folks supplied, and off into the sunset.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to tell you exactly what you want to hear. You got a great bargain it's probably worth at least 4 times what you paid. Work on it a little and flip it for at least 8 times what you paid or hang on to it until you do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

Over the years we have seen similar threads.  Personally I will be surprised if he ever gets back to us.  Newbie, throw out a what is it worth query against the wall, see if it sticks, take info you folks supplied, and off into the sunset.

This happens enough that we need a name for it. I propose calling it a "drive-by."  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Put it in the same category as all the "help me get a title" posts!  Block em!!!

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

Pit it in the same category as all the "help me get a title" posts!  Block em!!!

Terry

Along with the 'why did they change the dates of Hershey'.

• Like 2

@newie did you get the rebuild receipts and/or photos?  Many of us old guys have seen engines where "rebuilds" consist only of repainting the engine, so when we're buying we always ask for documentation.  Also, "rebuild" usually connotes a rebore and new pistons, whereas "overhaul" is something far less.  What was "rebuilt" or "overhauled"?

Edited by Grimy
fix typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This is Mike, an honest engine rebuilder. I leave cash, a note pad, and a golf pencil in a coffee can. He cashes himself out at $15 per hour hour. No complaints.

001.png.62c991a0e1f7673a3403e4b2818920fe.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

This is Mike, an honest engine rebuilder. I leave cash, a note pad, and a golf pencil in a coffee can. He cashes himself out at $15 per hour hour. No complaints.

001.png.62c991a0e1f7673a3403e4b2818920fe.png

I like Mike

• Like 2
  • Haha 1