When will Facebook list a $1,000,000. old car?

Well, within just a week we've seen old cars listed on the "Not Mine" forum from  Facebook at $120k, (Brasier), $215k (Cord), and now a rare Hanson for $875,000. I guess that must say something about which venues pull in buyers. Not that long ago, we were trashing FB and commenting on the garbage listed for sale. The garbage may still be there, but here's also a totally different level of automobiles listed there now. I don't follow Facebook, but I would presume other goods (houses, jewelry, and other high-end things) have followed suit. Has FB gained some respectability of late. or are sellers just refusing to pay any kind of commission or fee to sell their cars. Dealing with the stereotypical buyers and the potential risks would be my concern. 

Maybe I'm just paranoid.😵‍💫

Dave I think Gullwing has listed a car here and there north of a million on fb.  Several prominent dealers maintain a presence on fb, no different, really than any number of online or print venues. 

Bear in mind the audience is varied as well - just like here.  I know several Model J,  Stutz Bearcat, Mercer folk who are active on fb - I am sure many others are on along with the guy trying to find parts for his 77 Tbird.  

• Like 1

You are a fool if you list an expensive car on Facebook, eBay or CL.   It diminishes the car and 99.9% of the audience can't buy it.  Everything over 100K lives in its own special market that needs to be targeted in a thoughtful way.  Not plastered all over the internet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

These comments are in line with my lifelong thoughts on marketing.

To paraphrase Diogenes "I have been on the eternal search for the uninformed buyer".

In the instance the informed buyer materializes plan B is to convince them that they are stealing the item.

I have done well listing on Craigslist, Ebay, and Facebook, but you don't see me listing a car for sale on the forum.

Edited by DAVE A
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I suspect most high end sales don't come about from most any social media listing.  But - institutional advertising or buzz is really the value add.  I once had a boss acknowledge trade shows gave our firm very little in terms of a business bump BUT if we're not participating and our competitors were, the customer just may think of them first next time...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dave Wells said:

Well, within just a week we've seen old cars listed on the "Not Mine" forum from  Facebook at $120k, (Brasier), $215k (Cord), and now a rare Hanson for $875,000. I guess that must say something about which venues pull in buyers. Not that long ago, we were trashing FB and commenting on the garbage listed for sale. The garbage may still be there, but here's also a totally different level of automobiles listed there now. I don't follow Facebook, but I would presume other goods (houses, jewelry, and other high-end things) have followed suit. Has FB gained some respectability of late. or are sellers just refusing to pay any kind of commission or fee to sell their cars. Dealing with the stereotypical buyers and the potential risks would be my concern. 

Maybe I'm just paranoid.😵‍💫

Facebook themselves do not post vehicles or whatever is being posted.

The posts you see are from individuals or organizations which can be legit OR scammers.

Anyone can post whatever they feel like posting at any price they wish to post. Just because it is listed at a price, does not mean it is real or it will sell for that price.

As EBay used to say, "Caveat Emptor" which means "Let the Buyer Be Aware".

Just because a photo or series of photos are posted, doesn't mean the item is really real, or for sale and the person that posted it is real.. Scammers abound on FB, more so than EBay and CL now days as they have ruined those platforms they are now picking up the crumbs at the bottom of the barrel on FB.

Photos can be "scraped" or "lifted" very easily from any source that is on the Internet, including this forum and you might even see your own photos you have posted to this forum or other Internet websites being used to "sell" a non existent fake car by a scammer.

• Like 1

IMO, a good number of desirable cars trade hands by word of mouth through friends and car clubs.  They never make it to any advertisements unless the owner wants to send it to auction for the experience.  Just a thought.

• Like 4

I knew a guy who claimed to have a Duesenberg, only to find out it was a fiberglass body on a Pinto chassis.   UGLY!  

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

I knew a guy who claimed to have a Duesenberg, only to find out it was a fiberglass body on a Pinto chassis.   UGLY!  

That is a first.  Typically the "Duesenberg" ends up being a Buick.  Usually not a 90 series either.

2 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

IMO, a good number of desirable cars trade hands by word of mouth through friends and car clubs.  They never make it to any advertisements unless the owner wants to send it to auction for the experience.  Just a thought.

Those are also THE BEST ones! 

Listed 28 weeks ago in Los Angeles, CA

28 weeks agoAbout this vehicle
Driven 300 miles
Automatic transmission
Exterior color: Red · Interior color: Black
Fuel type: Gasoline
1 owner

Seller's description

Private seller ready to sell now 60 miles no brokers no trades I don't need help selling it located in Hawaii.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
( I wonder if he'll take a check?)

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/1/2024 at 11:17 PM, Xander Wildeisen said:

That’s a lot of dough for a kit/replica car, but there are always buyers lacking self respect for those too, although not necessarily many for even at half that asking price.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, alsancle said:

"Continuation built by Jaguar Land Rover in 2020. One of twenty five built"

... or more bluntly/simply put, "another replica". 😉

58 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Continuation is the latest fancy word for replica, in the spirit of, homage, reproduction, knock off, etc.

I saw a couple of weeks ago that Shelby America is building a few more roadsters that will have an 'official shelby s/n'. I think the price was in the 600k-700k range. I guess they figured now that the decent 'replica's' are getting upwards of 100k that they may as well join the game.

4 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I saw a couple of weeks ago that Shelby America is building a few more roadsters that will have an 'official shelby s/n'. I think the price was in the 600k-700k range. I guess they figured now that the decent 'replica's' are getting upwards of 100k that they may as well join the game.

They have done that before.  Its called "cashing in".

• Like 3

I had to go back and see what this topic was about.

Placement of advertisements. Facebook could meet the needs. Just yesterday I responded to a Facebook post on 1958 Cadillac by mentioning I had just finished taking pictures for a '58 Cadillac convertible I was going to list for $105,000. Just slipped it in there all nonchalant and innocent. Might use that technique somewhere else as well.

21 hours ago, alsancle said:

I've said this before,  I would rather have a real lesser car than have to explain my continuation replicamobile.

I'm with you on that, except I would rather take a bus, bicycle or just walk than own any fake/replicrap.

I've been offered test drives in some fake/replica Shelby Cobras & Ferrari SWB's, etc, including some that have been described/"explained" as being "exact tool room copies" of originals (which I seriously doubt), but never seen the point in accepting such invites(?), especially if it doesn't include back-to-back drive with a latter for comparison.

I mean, what would be the point ? To be able to say I drove a replica of something today ? 

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

1 hour ago, TTR said:

"Automatic transmission" ???

Not to mention that generator.

What else is not authentic about it ?

Looks neat, but what is something like this good or practical/useful for ? 

A Disneyland/-world parade or ride ?

Not sure if all, but some of the Futureliners were updated for the postwar Motorama shows.  Besides Hydramatic, they also received the Guide-Matic automatic headlight dimmer.

Craig11aths050.jpg.1bc3cc1cdead55fc18222ec3b35cf87c.jpg11aths100.jpg.368fb6ace90f28057db73ffaeb1c65b7.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2024 at 6:25 PM, 8E45E said:

Not sure if all, but some of the Futureliners were updated for the postwar Motorama shows.  Besides Hydramatic, they also received the Guide-Matic automatic headlight dimmer.

Craig11aths050.jpg.1bc3cc1cdead55fc18222ec3b35cf87c.jpg11aths100.jpg.368fb6ace90f28057db73ffaeb1c65b7.jpg

Were these all documented period factory upgrades or someone just adding/tacking on accessories and modifications during some subsequent restorations in private ownership ?

You know, kind of like people commonly add driving lights, side mount spare tires, power steering or windows, etc. their cars originally didn’t come with.

The control switches, instrumentation or their labeling on the picture dash doesn’t strike me as having a factory or pre-war appearance either, but who knows …?

3 hours ago, TTR said:

Were these all documented period factory upgrades or someone just adding/tacking on accessories and modifications during some subsequent restorations in private ownership ?

You know, kind of like people commonly add driving lights, side mount spare tires, power steering or windows, etc. their cars originally didn’t come with.

The control switches, instrumentation or their labeling on the picture dash doesn’t strike me as having a factory or pre-war appearance either, but who knows …?

Factory.  Especially after the Hydramatic proved itself in HD use during the war in army tanks.  

I could not see a restorer adding a vintage Hyrdamatic unit over installing a modern Allison transmission with all the work required to do the conversion.

Craig

Well, I was mainly referring to the automatic headlight dimmer, but could easily see a “restorer”/modifier using a “vintage” upgrade for period correct appearance, especially if the conversion was done decades ago when Allison transmissions were less readily available than Hydramatic, et.al. 

Even when I reconstructed my PB Roadster 35 years ago, almost all hot rod builders/constructors were using using SBC’s, TH automatics or some readily available later model 4-spd manuals, for me it was important to use only components, materials and parts that would’ve been available in the early-to-mid 1950s, including a ‘53  (Dodge truck) 3-spd, 6V electricals, etc., but that was my personal preference (& still is).

Just about all (dozens) restorations I’ve performed in past 4+ decadeshave focused more on authenticity than anything else.

OTOH, if any vintage vehicle has any non-period upgrades, I don’t think it can really be consider “restored”.