Gen X drives a Model A - "Insanely Difficult"

I love this. Those of us that have lived with antique cars all our lives take for granted just how different they are than today's cars. My 17 year-old asked me to teach her to drive a Franklin this year. It's going to be a huge transition from her Nissan Sentra. I'll probably start her with the Corvair to learn the manual transmission.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Manual transmission Corvair on gravel even easier, since the rear wheels will loose traction instead of the engine bogging down when releasing the clutch too quick with the revs up. My daughter was driving my Corvair on our long driveway and she said it was easy. Hmm, time to hit the hard surface street!🤣

32 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

It appears that "insane", "weird", "mistake", and general ???? are his stock in trade.

Youtube encourages creators who do that and punishes those who don't. The same thing goes for all the duck-faced thumbnails. They are not an accident, and Youtube gets more dumbed down every day. There is a reason all videos look and sound alike now. It is probably not appropriate to blame the people making the videos.

• Like 4

A little anecdote about younger folks and older cars.

A former coworker bought a mid 60's VW Bug to restore as he had one when he was in HS.

When they took it out for its first drive, his teenage son wanted to roll down the window so he started spinning the knob at the end of the window crank.

His son asked him why the window wouldn't go down since he was turning the knob to make it roll down.

This teenager had never seen a car with manual windows so he had no idea he had to crank the window down. 

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, zepher said:

A former coworker bought a mid 60's VW Bug to restore as he had one when he was in HS.

When they took it out for its first drive, his teenage son wanted to roll down the window so he started spinning the knob at the end of the window crank.

His son asked him why the window wouldn't go down since he was turning the knob to make it roll down.

This teenager had never seen a car with manual windows so he had no idea he had to crank the window down. 

I experienced the same thing with my 10 year old niece. I was teaching her how to drive my 72 Bronco and she had never seen a manual window crank before. But she is getting the feeling for the clutch .I Put it in low range for her and let her run around a 5 acre field. She loves it.

John 

IMG_4012.png.35b762fa935f6b45f0380e78e4e25492.png

• Like 3

My sons are Gen Z, and they learned to drive on a 1954 Willys Jeep. Once the older boy mastered on the Jeep, he moved to his object of desire: the 1928 Chevrolet. It was not so easy, I have to admit, because it was raining a lot on a country umpaved road. Actually, he did very well on this. He currently is 20 y.o. and loves to drive the old Chevy.

The younger is now asking to drive the 1951 Plymouth sedan, he is intrigued about the gear shift on the steering column…

Automatic hybrid cars of today cannot bring so much fun for sure!

Edited by JRA (see edit history)
  • Like 5

I got my driver's license in 1962. My father rode around with me in his 1948 Willys Jeep pickup. His insisted I learn how to use its 4-wheel drive and 2-speed non-synchro transfer case before he would let me get my license. I took my driving test on his 1953 Buick straight 8 with no power steering or power brakes. It did have an automatic trans though. Different times. ...Jim

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steve Braverman said:

I love this. Those of us that have lived with antique cars all our lives take for granted just how different they are than today's cars. My 17 year-old asked me to teach her to drive a Franklin this year. It's going to be a huge transition from her Nissan Sentra. I'll probably start her with the Corvair to learn the manual transmission.

My son started driving on his 4 cylinder Chevy S-10, manual 5 speed.  After that he was out driving our 1915 Buick truck when he was 16 with his girl friends.  He has toured with us driving the 1913 Buick touring. He did well even though the shift pattern is opposite of the S-10. 

The younger generation can learn to drive and enjoy the antique vehicles if given the opportunity and not being told "Don't touch" on the old cars.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Who is teaching these kids to drive Model As? I've seen several videos with young people driving a Model A and they're constantly fiddling with the spark and throttle levers--one kid even thought he had to retard it between shifts. Someone taught him that. No wonder they think it's complicated. 

Just advance the timing all the way once it's running and leave the throttle alone. Don't touch the levers anymore, just drive. It's no more complex or involved than a modern car.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Lessons for high level students of Gen Z:

- Driving the Ford Model T !!!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, zepher said:

I'm not sure you can even order an automobile with manual windows.  Progress??

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Who is teaching these kids to drive Model As? I've seen several videos with young people driving a Model A and they're constantly fiddling with the spark and throttle levers--one kid even thought he had to retard it between shifts. Someone taught him that. No wonder they think it's complicated. 

My first thought would be that they were taught by one of the group who were fiddling with updraft carburetors and caused everyone to set a fire extinguisher next to their front wheel at shows.

"I've been doing this for 60 years. Watch me, you might learn something."  Oh, yeah.

The added drama in the title is the way the world is these days. It generates more clicks and viewers.  This added drama is a bit annoying at times.  

I can see how the very first time you get behind the wheel of a 100 yr old car can feel very weird. Odd. Different things to do, adjust, tweak. Things are missing. Especially if you have very little to no knowledge of automotive systems. Like gear synchros. Vacuum and mechanical spark advance. An electric starting motor. Generators. Turn signals.  Etc. They don’t understand or comprehend the timeline and all the inventions to get to all these convenient features. Distributor? Points? Carburetor? Really?  Most Gen-Xers would not know of these items.  

I’m 53. I hope to get back even further to a Model T someday. Owning one is a dream of mine.  Someday. Perhaps when I relocate down off this mountain. Living on flat valley bottom where speeding modern vehicles aren’t whipping around blind corners. 

• Like 2

On 4/28/2024 at 10:22 AM, keithb7 said:

Perhaps when I relocate down off this mountain. Living on flat valley bottom where speeding modern vehicles aren’t whipping around blind corners. 

If you find such a place on this continent, please pm me. I promise I'll never tell another soul and will  start packing immediately.

• Haha 1

On 4/28/2024 at 10:22 AM, keithb7 said:

Perhaps when I relocate down off this mountain. Living on flat valley bottom where speeding modern vehicles aren’t whipping around blind corners. 

Damn. As a life-long flat lander, I've been planning on retiring in the mountains to escape the street racers and the a**holes who ignore speed limits and traffic signs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reynard said:

Damn. As a life-long flat lander, I've been planning on retiring in the mountains to escape the street racers and the a**holes who ignore speed limits and traffic signs.

What speed limits?

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Reynard said:

It more about the steep 12% grade winding hill. About 2 miles long. Single lane each direction. No shoulder. People rip up and down. A model T would be pretty slow up that grade.  I might even have go up in reverse now and then. Lol. 

....we don't know how to do something without any experience or exposure to it. 

Instead of making fun of us "young" people for not knowing how to do something that is second nature to you, explain it to us, without condescension. Most people are not as stupid as you may think. 

Do you know how to properly attach a harness to a horse or oxen to pull a carriage? Probably some do, but it's not like it's something everyone has exposure to. 

• Like 3

I am 75 years old and I am always entertained by an old man waving his hands about and pressing his fingertips to his thumbs. Insanely thinking he is impersonating a young person.

Ever look up the origin of whipersnapper. There used to be some out there but not anymore.

I learned how to drive a Model T Ford 2-speed when I was in my early 40s. Not applying the brakes when shifting to second was pretty close to blackscreening in Windows 98.

When I finished with that T I thought "Imagine someone pulling one of those out of a hedgerow, spending a few years of their life restoring it, and realizing that was all the had in the end." My childhood dreams tossed on the rocks and shoals of reality. I had been misled.

• Haha 1

I learned to drive a manual on a runway in vietnam in 1964  was not that hard