Old High Reach

I have actually seen and done worse! At least that is made for the task at hand - imagine all the OH&S hand wringing and tears if you tried it today!

Steve

Actually looks like a pretty safe rig. Not sure why the driver needs the high perch, perhaps that is the operator seat for the platform then he goes back to the drivers position to move to the next pole?

• Like 1

AACA needs one of these for the annual Hershey Eastern Fall extravaganza . I am sure Steve Moskowitz will put in a request for one if it is an Oldsmobile , but only a maybe if anything else..........   I know for certain that it is not a 1930 Packard 7th series speedster body style offering.  But further examination of those wheels will indeed confirm it is or not

4 x 8 plywood sounds pretty fancy!  I have spent more times than I like to admit running around on scaffolding with a single 2 x 10 plank.

I would love to know how that thing works. At first I figured the platform would go up and down but the support structure flares out at the bottom so that would most likely mean there is a fixed height. Also looks like there are rails on the bottom of the platform so maybe it slides left and right? At the top where the platform attaches to the tower looks like a circle, maybe it also rotates? The large 'box' underneath is likely ballast and perhaps batteries, I too would think electric power. Drive train looks like an older vintage than the cars on the streets so maybe this contraption had been in service for quite a few years before the pic was taken?

• Like 2

On 1/31/2024 at 11:30 AM, Paul Dobbin said:

Pretty fancy script name on the front.  Can you read it?

Looks like it might say AtYourService.

• Like 1

Having operated various lift trucks in the past, it looks like the upper platform rotates into position to service the lights and then returns over the vehicle when the vehicle is in motion.

The worker accesses the platform from the driver's area.

The tower is not collapsible.

• Like 3

Appears to originally have been horse drawn.  Check out the steering wheel that shares it's column with higher drivers seat.

I can visualize Laurel & Hardy using that for a few laughs.  Kind of like them moving the piano up hundereds of stairs before having 

to hoist it to the second floor.   

On 2/1/2024 at 12:30 PM, zepher said:

Having operated various lift trucks in the past, it looks like the upper platform rotates into position to service the lights and then returns over the vehicle when the vehicle is in motion.

The worker accesses the platform from the driver's area.

The tower is not collapsible.

We would be surprised nowdays at the many variations that must have been needed at the time.

Here's a White performing the duties with a couple of fancy duds for a photo shoot. Photo is from a 1920s Electric Railways Journal article hence the poor quality. If you look close enough you can see the round rotating portion of the frame just below the platform so it must of swiveled also. I would feel safer on this because it had a wider base.

image.png.f6329c6800d9f6369e04cdb2758d474c.png

image.png.58ae3e17335a014a06a8e6503956d13f.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I had to do some work in a living room ceiling that was over 20' to the peak. Used the electricians ladder. It was similar to the one in the last pic, a frame with a centre section. Not fun!

A few years ago I took a motorcycle trip around the hill country of Texas. Must have been around hunting season as there were quite a few 250's pulling trailers with old toyota trucks with a tower built into them. Mobile deer stand.

16 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I had to do some work in a living room ceiling that was over 20' to the peak. Used the electricians ladder. It was similar to the one in the last pic, a frame with a centre section. Not fun!

A few years ago I took a motorcycle trip around the hill country of Texas. Must have been around hunting season as there were quite a few 250's pulling trailers with old toyota trucks with a tower built into them. Mobile deer stand.

I live in the hill country of Texas.  The mobile deer stand mounted to a “lease pickup” or other vehicle is a common sight on trailers headed to the deer lease right before the season starts

• Like 1

First and only time I have seen those kind of settups. In my area the guys used to build something right in a tree, now they are getting fancy with dedicated elevated huts that stay in place year round.

On 1/31/2024 at 3:06 AM, Fordy said:

I have actually seen and done worse! At least that is made for the task at hand - imagine all the OH&S hand wringing and tears if you tried it today!

That would still pass OHSA requirements today, at least for the worker on the platform.  There are railings in place, and he is working at a safe height; not stooped over, or on his toes.   

It is on the ground attention is required, where traffic cones would have to at the front and rear of the truck on the roadway, barricades under the light fixture and his workspace on the sidewalk, and wheel chocks for the truck while it is parked.

Craig

Crazy part is, it looks like the ladder was specifically made for that task..

Well, sort of.

I always wonder what the conversation was in moments like these lol. I'm sure it was entertaining.

image.png.a65b8ddf4b2309679b0417762020ec1a.png

Truly relaxed and just having fun. 

image.png.7dfc8442c2b38e1a9d07867503d27f6f.png

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...