Calling All Forum Members - Check In

Each time I see a notice that someone has passed away, it reminds me how much the forum has changed in 20 years.    Even if you are more of a looker please check in and let us know what you are doing in the hobby, what your plans are for enjoying the hobby in 2024 and anything else you would like to share.  

Completely optional of course.  

Posted (edited)

I will start.  My name is Jake Moran, some of you have met me, most have not.  I am 60 years old in early February, reside in Johnston, Iowa (suburb of Des Moines, Iowa) with my wife Ann and daughter Reese.  Ann retired from teaching full time last year, an amazing 33 straight years in the same school, same grade.  Now she teaches part time as substitutes are in high demand.  

We have a typical suburban home with a smallish 2 car garage.  No room for old cars.  Ann purchased a 2020 Chevrolet Camaro 6.2L 6 speed SS with Borla exhaust as her retirement present.  I purchased a 2007 Mazda Miata.  (I am not retired) These are in the garage during spring-fall and stored at a friend's hobby farm in the winter. 

We went to Europe on one of those Viking cruises during October 2023.  2024 will be regional trips.  I am essentially out of the old car hobby but looking to scratch that itch in 2024.  The hobby farm we store our vehicles at is owned by a recent widower who adopted 3 babies from the same mother, and the oldest is now a 17 year old he is a nice kid but is a gamer.  Ashton (his name) and I have decided to take on a multi year restoration project and I am actively looking.  

In addition, I will likely be purchasing an old vehicle, a driver but nicer, for enjoyment of the hobby, OR one to have restored by Anderson Restorations in Kanawha, Iowa, a respected and decorated restoration shop.  We all know restorations are not cost effective, but I have not decided between buying a nice driver or to do one more restoration.  

Ashton and I will restore "something" at the hobby farm which has plenty of Morton building and garage spaces.  

To those that do not know me, I have owned 255 total vehicles, modern and collector, in 45 years in the hobby.  Among my Buicks, too many to count, include a 1961 Electra 2 door semi bubble top, several 1964 full size Buicks, several early 1970's Buicks including 6 Rivieras, 7 Electras, 4 Centurions and a 1972 GS 350 4 speed convertible.  I have owned Reattas including the oldest known production Reatta left (#105) and Buicks from every Century from 1920 to the 1990's.  

I first joined the BCA in 1993 when I purchased a 1956 Special in Houston, Texas and a BCA application was in the glove box.  I am no longer a member of the BCA, but am a member of the Cadillac LaSalle Club and the Burlington Route Historical Society (Trains) as railroad history and model trains have taken the place of the old car hobby as my primary hobby interest.  

IMG_6465.jpg

IMG_6680.jpg

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)
  • Like 6

I’m Matt and I’m into planes, trains, and automobiles, although I’ve never seen the movie. I live in Wichita, Kansas so that apparently makes the previous statement even funnier. It’s on my to-do list, but with 22 cars and 3 houses my to-do list is quite long… lol

I also like boats.

I’m currently experimenting with 3D printing car parts. I’m currently working on a Saturn part (I have 6 of those) although I’ve designed some things for my Reatta that I haven’t tried printing yet, and I’ve got a project for the ‘56 that I’m hoping to get to soon. 

If you are using the mobile site and can’t see my signature, the Buicks include a ‘56 Special, ‘78 Riviera, ‘87 Skyhawk, ‘89 LeSabre, ‘90 Reatta, and ‘18 TourX. 

Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Matt from NC.   I am into collecting all things 1940s- early 70s (yes everything except clothing..... houses, cars, furniture and home accessories, appliances,etc)  I work a full time corporate job as an environmental engineer, and I bought a nano-brewery. With 2 full-time jobs I don't really find the time to play with my cars.  I have one room in my home that is a 1950's living room with all period-correct, functioning pieces (I am obsessive over functionality).  The rest of the house is smattered with old fans, radios, lamps etc.  I recently downsized and gave a bunch away.  I have chickens, dogs, and goats. My style influence has always skewed older and is definitely heavily influenced by my grandmother (mom's mom) and my father (who was 18 years older than my mom!!).  As a kid the 50s were my thing.  As I've gotten older I still think the best music is from the 60s.  For a hint at how the inside of my head operates, check out the American Treasure Tour Museum in Oak, PA. American Treasure Tour  I am not the anonymous guy behind it, but I think we must be kin somewhere down the line.  I used to buy/sell/trade a bunch, as I've gotten older, I prefer to keep...  I will not end up on the hoarders show just yet 😉

As for cars, when I was 14 I got a job and a 49 chevy truck.  I met some "old car guys" at the Christmas parade whose shop I would later work at.  Senior year of high school I only went to school half days and worked the other half.  I started working in the resto shop on all sorts of fun projects and got to work on my 49 on weekends.  The Buick thing started when I moved away to college and mom sold off all my other unfinished old car projects.  She made one mistake, she said "focus on school, old cars are a rich or retired person's hobby, wait until you're older".  Anyone in my family will tell you, if I am specifically told to not do something, that's exactly what I'll aim to do!  So I went to the bank and qualified for a small loan.  The first running/driving/titled thing that popped up in my budget was a 1955 Buick Special 4 door sedan, with that I had won, and proceeded to drive it daily for the next 4 years!

Edited by NC-car-guy (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don from Texas. I'm 75 years old and have been obsessed with cars since I was 12. I grew up in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago but have been a Texan since 1992. I have owned 79 cars in my life of which only nine were imports. The largest share (42) were GM cars, I have owned 7 Buicks including my one current hobby car, a 1960 LeSabre 2 door hardtop. I have done just about every type of repair and restoration task with the exception of transmission rebuilding and upholstery. I still do what I can on my car but am limited by age and mileage. I love old mechanical things and automobilia, collecting radiator emblems, data plates, and threaded hubcaps. I am also an old movie buff and recently fulfilled a lifelong dream of acquiring a Mitchell 35MM Hollywood camera with all the accessories. I have been an AACA and forum member since 2007 and sign in every day as this is the most eclectic and knowledgeable car information source on the Internet.

007.JPG

20210919_120052.jpg

20200820_150129.jpg

DSCF3595.JPG

20230707_152714.jpg

• Like 11

34 minutes ago, TexRiv_63 said:

Don from Texas. I'm 75 years old and have been obsessed with cars since I was 12. I grew up in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago but have been a Texan since 1992. I have owned 79 cars in my life of which only nine were imports. The largest share (42) were GM cars, I have owned 7 Buicks including my one current hobby car, a 1960 LeSabre 2 door hardtop. I have done just about every type of repair and restoration task with the exception of transmission rebuilding and upholstery. I still do what I can on my car but am limited by age and mileage. I love old mechanical things and automobilia, collecting radiator emblems, data plates, and threaded hubcaps. I am also an old movie buff and recently fulfilled a lifelong dream of acquiring a Mitchell 35MM Hollywood camera with all the accessories. I have been an AACA and forum member since 2007 and sign in every day as this is the most eclectic and knowledgeable car information source on the Internet.

007.JPG

20210919_120052.jpg

20200820_150129.jpg

DSCF3595.JPG

20230707_152714.jpg

The data plates and movie projector are spectacular!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

75 and planning on another 30. I do all my own work due to some sort of intolerance syndrome.  Never really got into old car restoration. I prefer to buy a nice 15-20 year old car and age with it. The decades go by fast so it hasn't been hard. Bought lots of cars and only one wife.

CarGuy.jpg.f5f94f927e1e64e398ff8b5cdf457188.jpg

IMG_1038.JPG.0f8a52052caa1a141ad13c81d4c9be91.JPG

• Like 9

49 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

75 and planning on another 30. I do all my own work due to some sort of intolerance syndrome.  Never really got into old car restoration. I prefer to buy a nice 15-20 year old car and age with it. The decades go by fast so it hasn't been hard. Bought lots of cars and only one wife.

CarGuy.jpg.f5f94f927e1e64e398ff8b5cdf457188.jpg

IMG_1038.JPG.0f8a52052caa1a141ad13c81d4c9be91.JPG

But, but, WHERE are the old cars?

Ben

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

But, but, WHERE are the old cars?

One is 64 years old, one is 60 years old, the other is 38 years old. When I got into the hobby there weren't any 60 year old cars except a couple of buggy wheeled things called cars.

• Haha 5

12 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

And that is the best acquisigion in my life.

I always wanted one, but just like a Model J Duesenberg, never found a good one I can afford in a body style that I found attractive! 😎

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

On 1/16/2024 at 12:03 PM, 60FlatTop said:

One is 64 years old, one is 60 years old, the other is 38 years old. When I got into the hobby there weren't any 60 year old cars except a couple of buggy wheeled things called cars.

NICE!!!!

A 64 year old car, a 60 year old car and a 38 year old wife.....works for me.......;););)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, neil morse said:

I'm a happy 76-year-old car enthusiast with only room for one car.  Can you guess what my other hobby is?

Shop.jpg.43214468f92ac0c6d7afff0681a7a681.jpg

Looks like your other hobby is wine tasting?  😄

• Haha 4

• 1 month later...

My name is Tom from ny, been into this hobby since I’ve been born. I’m 36 years old , only missed one Hershey fall meet due to Covid . 

I went from building high hp import cars to classic cars . Such a change haha 

• Like 1